Travel Italy and Become TEFL-TP Certified with A.C.L.E.

Host family
Host family
Hugs from the children in Rome
Hugs from the children in Rome

Travel Italy and become TEFL-TPⓒ Certified with A.C.L.E. Receive expert training on how to teach English to Italian children through games, drama, and songs; meet people from around the world; teach at our numerous summer camps and enjoy all that Italy has to offer!

All applicants attend a one-week intensive training course, usually on the Italian Riviera, where they learn everything they need to know about teaching English through theatre and play.
Once trainee tutors have completed the orientation they attend a minimum of 3 weeks in camps across Italy from the Alps to Sardinia, putting their training into practice, teaching children and having the time of their lives. The camps will run from June to September - Monday to Friday, usually from 9am until 5pm.

• Strengthen your résumé by becoming TEFL.TP certified
  • Receive expert training during an orientation week
  • Travel & teach all over Italy at our numerous summer camps
  • Live with host families and fully immerse yourself in local culture and traditions, as well as learn or practice some Italian
  • Build lasting friendships and lifelong memories with people from all over the world, your host families, and the children you’ll teach at camp

Travel Italy and become TEFL-TPⓒ Certified with A.C.L.E.

Check this out! Ever wanted to Teach English, acquire a TEFL-TPⓒ certificate, and explore different places in and around Italy?

Each summer A.C.L.E. trains and places more than 300 English trainee tutors in camps to teach English to Italian children and teenagers.
This TEFL-TPⓒ study program is a unique opportunity to enhance your CV!

Join us now! Click below to get started.

Yes, technically we look to recruit native English speakers. However if you are a near native English speaker and you have a high proficiency in English your application will be considered.

Once you receive your job offer, we normally ask you to confirm your flight details within 3 weeks time in order to secure your place at Orientations. Then we'll ask you to send us a copy of your flight receipt. After that time, if you have not been able to purchase your flight for any reason you should contact us.

It depends on the family you stay with and the town or city in which you are placed. Be open to differences in each place you are tutoring and try not to worry if at first it seems like you aren't happy with your situation because 1) there is most likely a miscommunication or misunderstanding; take time in a different conversation to bring up your concerns, expectations for outings etc. Ask for...

If you haven't found out already: it's definitely worth emailing the English Office, they always want new tutors and can be flexible on some deadlines if need be. And if you don't get to apply this year, I would definitely recommend you try again next year, it was an AMAZING opportunity, loved it so much last year :)

• Benefits 7.7
  • Facilities 8.7
  • Instruction 9.5
  • Academic Rigor 7
  • Job Assistance 8.5
Lexi

Best summer ever!

I frequently talk about and look back on my summer of 2018. Italy is an amazing country and this program allows you to stay with host families who give you a real taste of the culture. The staff involved with ACLE are amazing. They are passionate about what they do and you can see it from the moment you get to orientation. The program is well organized and they take care of all of the transportation as you move around Italy. I am studying to be a teacher and I believe that this program helped me develop necessary skills for teaching language learners. I met amazing friends that I worked with at the camps and it didn’t even feel like work! I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys traveling, teaching, or drama!

Don’t be afraid to try new things and go out of your comfort zone! You learn the best that way. Explore the towns where you are placed and spend time immersing yourself.
Chloe

My Summer in Italy

Working for ACLE was one of the best experiences of my life! From the fun and inspirational training where I met amazing people from all over the world, to traveling throughout Italy each week, meeting new students and families. The program is exactly as described online, except the personal connections and confidence you will gain exceeds what you can even imagine. Although the days can feel long working at camp, the kids are amazing, the host teachers supportive, and the host families treat you like family. If you enjoy working with children, having fun and travelling, this program is an incredible way to spend the summer.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Beef Carpaccio! All of the Italian food was amazing, both in the homes we stayed and the restaurants.
Anabel

WONDERFUL AUTHENTIC ITALIAN EXPERIENCE!!!

ACLE is reliable and organized. Communication with the ACLE team is great, before and during the camps. Orientation can be a bit overwhelming, because there’s so much information and material you're receiving and learning. However, it’s extremely useful, it prepares you for camps, and it’s a load of fun. Typically camps run from 8:30/9am to 4:30/5pm. Camp days can be tiring and demanding, but they’re extremely rewarding and super fun! You’ll sing, dance, play games, and do a bunch of activities. ACLE provides you with more than enough material; you’ll never run out of ideas. You’ll get to collaborate with individuals from different parts of the world, which is pretty great. Duration of camps tend to be one or two weeks. Locations vary, you may find yourself near a well known city like Milan or Venice; or perhaps you’ll be in a quaint little town, in the mountains or by the sea. Italy is a gorgeous country, with so many hidden gems! Experience authentic Italian culture, living and engaging with Italians on a daily basis. Taste and savor Italian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Have gelato, drink cappuccinos, meet new people, play, dance, and be silly with children! Experience a summer in Italy with ACLE! You may just have the time of your life!
I personally had a wonderful time, and highly recommend it!!!

Carla

An Great Opportunity for Cultural Exchange

My intention this summer was to find a fun, but still rewarding job along with the possibility to travel around Italy - and A.C.L.E. helped me achieve it. The training was a week long - intense but enough nonetheless - to prepare us for the two weeks of tutoring English ahead of us. I was placed at camps in the Tuscany and Umbria region - both breathtakingly beautiful towns, with host families who were just as friendly and welcoming. It was a fulfilling experience to see the kids having fun - through ACLE's approach - while learning English, and you truly feel this sense of fulfillment at the end of the camp week when you are having the Camp Farewell. Definitely an opportunity not to miss out on if you want to teach English and experience a side of Italy you will only get to see through ACLE!

Come open-minded to new experiences, and make sure you get enough sleep because the Italian kids are full of energy, but so much fun be around!
rhayanna

ACLE Summer

My summer with ACLE was truly incredible. I was very scared in the begining, didn't know what I was getting myself into and was nervous. I knew nobody. But then afterwards, I made so many new friends from all over the world which I am so thankfull for. ACLE really provided us with all the information we needed to teach the kids. It was very organized and we always felt like there was someone to lean on. I was blessed to have amazing host families, that really took care of me and made me feel very welcomed. My camp directors we're all very great and helped us whenever we needed! Last but not least, the kids really made you feel important and special to them. The connection I made with the kids was unbelievable and Im so excited to create more memories and connections again. If you're up to new challenges, you love kids and you'd like to travel, ACLE is definetly the place to go.

Always pack LESS. Trains in Italy can be tricky. You need move fast and get on the trains quickly. Trust me, less is better !
Also, be ready for any temper tantrums the kids might pull, its very normal.
Senthuriy

ACLE changed my life!!

Traveling to a different country alone when I was only 19 years old was a big step for me. But I knew I wanted to further my teaching experience and so I heard about ACLE through a friend. I couldn’t have asked for a better abroad experience. I got to do my dream job in a beautiful country and I’m so grateful. I met so many amazing people from around the world whom I still keep contact with. Host family was one of my concerns before applying to ACLE but they made my experience much better. I’m not sure what I was scared about since they treated you like their own child throughout the whole experience. As for the experience in teaching, you get your own classroom and own children representing the country you’re from and it was so surreal. I’m so glad I went with ACLE during the summer of 2019, and I will definitely be back for 2020

Roxanne

Thank you ACLE!

ACLE is to thank for such a wonderful summer in Italy for many reasons. Not only did this experience allowed me to meet many wonderful Italian families (who I keep in touch with regularly), explore beautiful areas throughout Italy, meet other tutors from all around the world, and teach the most precious students! Each day was was full of laughter, learning, adventures, and a lot of fun.
While the weekends are mostly spent traveling from one location to another and spending time with your host family, Monday through Friday the majority of the day is spent at camp; The morning half consisting of English lessons in the classroom and the afternoon half consisting of games and activities to support English learning. ACLE truly does provide rich, memorable, and emotional educational learning experiences for the students, but I can also say that I learned so much from each person I came in contact with throughout the summer - from the students, families, camp directors, and other tutors. I can't imagine a better way to spend my summer!

Alyssa

Perfect Work Sabbatical

ACLE was a phenomenal company to work with. They trained their tutors, provided transportation to and from assigned camps through Italy, had an amazing group teaching tutor training and an awesome admin staff that took care of any and all questions. I quit my job in IT to go abroad for a month. I never had the experience while I was in college and this program work so well. They provide one week of training and ask for a minimum of three weeks teaching, for a total of four weeks. I had the opportunity to stay with host families in Ariccia, IT and Cremona, IT. It was my first time staying with a host family and they were so wonderful. I can’t thank ACLE enough for the experience. Truly unforgettable and I can’t wait to come back to teach next year.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
We had the possibility of teaching kindergarten up to 10th grade, and we didn’t find out until the week before what level we’d be teaching. However ACLE does a great job of preparing you for all levels.
Sofia

ACLE Summer Camps

It is no secret that the ACLE program is life changing. If you are looking to broaden your horizons, meet people from all over the world and learn more about yourself and communication; JOIN. Becoming part of this wonder family has changed my internal compass and how I see the world and myself. The support in this program is overwhelming, someone always has your back. You are able to make life-long relationships and an important impact with children. I did things I thought I was never capable of. ACLE is professional, organized, caring and flexible. You must put effort into your relationship with ACLE, and they will do the same. The reward from doing this work is unmatched by any other job. You will learn valuable lessons about teaching and working around the classroom. I am so proud of myself for competing a summer of camps, and I already miss it. So if you are on a rollercoaster of emotions, thats okay! The beginning can feel a bit strange; but once you've reached the end, you will look back at what you have done and want to go for another ride. ACLE is ready for your questions! Do not doubt yourself; break from your comfort zone and bust into the warm-up circle.

Pack light, bring classroom items that are fun for kids, like a ball or crafts. Keep an open mind and a positive attitude. Do not be afraid to ask for help and there are no wrong answers. Do your best to teach the students, make your classroom your own and have fun. Always remember that your life back home will always be there, the moments you have at camp are limited, cherish every one.
Molly

AMAZING

Such an incredible opportunity working for ACLE. The orientation (training) week is one of the best weeks ever, so challenging yet so fun! Each and every camp I was placed at when I became a tutor was so organised and each camp director was so supportive. The office staff (Kieran especially) are so helpful and go above and beyond to make sure you are feeling safe, happy and confident when at camp, and when travelling between the camps.

The host families cannot do enough for you and are so kind, helpful and welcoming! They will take you into their home as one of their own and will do anything for you to make sure you have a pleasant stay.

Of course, you can't review ACLE without mentioning the beautiful places you will travel to! From rural northern Italy, to busier cities like Rome and Milan, you have so many opportunities to take in the culture and explore!

Cannot wait to come back next year!!

Joshua

My Time with ACLE

What an amazing way to spend my last three weeks of summer. At first I wasn't sure what to expect but I was excited about travelling and seeing Italy for the first time. Arriving at Orientation was nerve racking but within minutes of arriving I were welcomed be such friendly faces and the amazing team of workers at ACLE. Within the first week, not only did I grow as an individual but started to make friendships for live. Each day I found myself leaning more and more about more self as an individual and also expanding my knowledge about the course and how the programme works. All the training was delivered in such a fun, engaging, beneficial way making it easy to retain but most importantly so enjoyable. The staff was excellent at their job and I truly believe it wouldn't of being the same without their enthusiasm and support. I then started my adventure as a ACLE Tutor and headed to my first camp. This is were all the training and discovery of the first week at Orientation fell into place. My first week at Camp was AMAZING, and this continued in my last week at camp. Just when you think your experience can't get any better, it did, my last week at camp was the best! I had the best team of tutors to work alongside and the kindness host family. Just everything about the experience was exciting and worth every penny.

I honestly couldn't think of any way to improve this program as my time in Italy flew by due to the sheer organisation and brilliance of this company and their passion and drive for teaching English to foreign leaners.
Courtney-Jade

Amazing summer traveling Italy

This programme is really life changing. For one summer, after one week of training, you can spend a couple of weeks each in places you'd never thought about going to in Italy, and have the most amazing time exploring with your host family who are locals in the area.
The training is intense, but more that prepares you for camp life. It's exhausting but rewarding working with loving Italian kids.
The team is so helpful, you can contact them with any questions, and they'll get back to you ASAP. There is tonnes of support going in to each week.
The people that you meet, both ACLE tutors and Italian staff and helpers, can grow in a few short weeks to become very close to you, and your host families consider you family for life.
A summer with ACLE is an amazing growth, learning and challenging experience.

Go with an open mind and heart. You most likely will not be placed in a well known host spot, but wherever you are, there are charms and graces that make it worth it. Staying with host families may be unfamiliar and overwhelming at first, but they honestly just want the best for you, and to make sure you see and experience their Italy.
Katie

ACLE summer 2019

I can honestly say my past summer working for ACLE was the best summer ever! I met such amazing people from all over the world and stayed with such beautiful, welcoming families. The job itself was so fun and I loved working with the kids! Orientation was fun and showed you what was expected when we left to go to camp. I stayed in many different areas throughout Italy and got a very authentic experience as I was hosted by itlaian families. You work in a camp for either one or two weeks teaching a your set class mostly using games, books, drawing and activity books. Activities are planned in the afternoons with the other classes all together which are always pretty fun.I was wondering going over how I would manage with no itlaian but it works well, usually (only one of my camps didn't) you have a helper who speaks both Italian and English so they help out if the kids are very confused. The kids I had were adorable and loved the camps.
It exceeded all my expectations!! This is a fantastic opportunity and I can't recommend more, but I would say you'd only enjoy it if you loved children, are an outgoing person and well able to talk to new people!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Probably when I left orientation to my first camp in a very quiet area in the mountains to stay with my host family, I didn't know what to expect but I loved them so much they made me feel so welcome and I saw places I would never have thought to visit.
Aoife

A Little Challenging, but Very Rewarding!

My time with ACLE was challenging at times - you get difficult kids or there's a bit of a language barrier - but it was really fun and rewarding. Because of this programme I went to places in Italy I would never have thought of and met tons of cool people. It'll be hard at times, but worth it I'd say for how fun and adorable and unique the whole experience will be. Teaching kids seems really daunting but ACLE provide material and you'll get a feel for what the kids are able for. Sometimes there's stuff in the books they aren't really able to understand but the other tutors will always help and I've always been able to think of something! The host families are always so nice and this is a great way to experience things and parts of Italy you never would have thought to explore otherwise

Don't bring a wheelie bag, but do bring lots of suncream and some kind of fan if you can - it's going to be 30 degrees (C) and the kids (and other tutors) will love you if you have something to cool them down
Chris

Great summer teaching experience!

If you are looking for a fun, challenging, exciting, and flexible work opportunity abroad, ACLE is a great option. Your summer starts with a week long orientation, which costs ~200 euro, but covers the training, lovely hotel accommodations, and food. Delicious Italian food. ACLE does a great job preparing you for camp, with a lot of practical exercises and hands on training from former tutors. After orientation you are sent to camps all over Italy, where you will work for 1 to 2 weeks at a time while you live with incredibly kind and welcoming Italian families, who make you delicious Italian food every night. The work is intense but fun, especially if you enjoy working with kids, working outdoors, and being active. The curriculum is very organized, and doesn't require a ton of lesson prep or previous education experience. Just a positive attitude and lots of positive energy.

If there was a way to receive a full TEFL cert rather than the TEFL-TP that would be cool