Gaba Corporation: Teach 1-on-1 English in Japan

Gaba Corporation: Teach 1-on-1 English in Japan

Gaba Corporation recruits English language teachers from around the world to teach 1-to-1 lessons to our students in Gaba Learning Studios. We have over 40 Learning Studios in the major cities of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, and Fukuoka), and we are continuing to grow steadily each year. All Gaba Instructors undergo our orientation and certification classes before they begin, which prepares them for teaching conversational English.

Teachers choose their own hours, and students select their teachers within this availability. We frequently have recruiting events throughout North America, Australia, the UK and Asia. If you want to teach English in Japan, check out our website to see if we're visiting a city near you, or apply online.

Key Points for Instructors:
• 1-to-1 lessons
• Motivated adult students (some kids lessons optional)
• Flexible schedule
• Professional environment
• Wide range of in-house certification available at any time

Basic Requirements for all applicants: • Must be of native level English proficiency (both spoken and written) • Must commit to at least one full six-month contract term • Must be available to attend three-day Initial Certification in full • Must be proficient using a computer Preferred applicants will have: A university degree; CELTA/TEFL/TESOL certification; Prior ESL/EFL teaching experience
  • 1-to-1 teaching role
  • Adult students
  • Choose your own schedule each month
  • 44 urban locations across Japan
  • Materials and in-house certification provided
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
Asia » Japan » Osaka
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
Asia » Japan » Kobe
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka
School
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
• Choose your own schedule. Income varies depending on the schedule chosen.
• Lessons paid at 1,500 JPY per 40 minute lesson ( "belt system" allows increases to 2200 JPY per 40 minute lesson).
• Monthly incentives for larger schedules.
• Per lesson incentives for in-demand times.
• Full-time positions and career progression available.
Classroom Audience
Adults
Business
This is a paid position, so the only cost would be getting to Japan and your living costs here (housing etc)
Various locations

Hi there! Gaba does not have any age limit policy for our Instructors, and we welcome applications from people of all ages and indeed nationalities also. I hope that answers your question and thank you for your interest.
I'm not a native English speaker, but I've been teaching English to koreans and japanese for almost 4 years. I have been seeking for an opportunity to teach abroad, and I'm fortunate to have found this. I took the courage to stand a chance to work in this institution Am i elligible to apply? I'm looking forward to hearing from you

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Lauren
Kyoto, Japan
Ball State University

Great Experience! You get what you put in.

It's a great teaching job with a lot of schedule flexibility. I have been able to travel and do amazing things in Japan and around the world with this job because of the open schedule. You do get what you put in, and if you want to work hard and save a lot of money it is definitely possible. I have built great relationships with fellow instructors and the Japanese staff. My clients have been great people too. There are a few strange and or difficult clients that you get, but that has not been to much of a problem.

If I had to change one thing, it would be to allow us the close at least one lesson the day before a work day; if the LS is already closed, and I need to close one lesson for a break, being able to close one on my own without calling in would be great!

David
Simon Fraser University

Very pleased with my experience!

The positive things that appreciate about GABA are the following:

* great systems
* good professional development
* very good working conditions
* great design of the program

In saying that, the challenges are as follows:

* cleanliness of the booths
* the system, from time to time, booting you out of the system
* When instructors get an R and that slot gets re-booked, it is difficult to understand why the instructor does not get paid for the double book.

* Not have the counselors change that often - the client relationship is very important and when you have counselors change often it takes away from the relationship

* There should be training manuals for counselors

Dane
University of Western Sydney

Flexible job

I was initially concerned with bookings and teaching enough lessons each month to meet my visa requirements, however after my first month I haven't experienced any trouble with this.
Gaba allows for a lot of flexibility with schedules, but instructors need to make themselves available enough so that they can make enough money.
Clients are generally quite friendly and eager to learn which makes teaching them much easier and more enjoyable.

The pay could be a bit higher. If you have good results and work at 'peak' times (weekends, evenings, early mornings) you can increase your earnings a bit.

Dan
Osaka
University of Technology

Good teaching benefits suck

The lessons can be pretty good as you have a lot of leeway in what you teach. Can take a lot of energy as the lessons are one on one. Overall though very rewarding.

The downside though. You are technically not an employee. The company does this to scam you out of paid holidays, health insurance etc. You aren't even enrolled in worker's accient insurance. So if you get hurt on the job (like the glass smashing in your booth and cutting you) you aren't insured!

Christine
California State University- Long Beach

Self-Motivated & Independent

GABA is the kind of program that's not going to hold your hand. Some people, especially those coming to Japan for the first time, may find that daunting but for a certain type of person it works very well. I liked that GABA didn't tell me what flight to take to Japan, where to live, or when my days off were going to be.

So if you're independent and motivated, this kind of program would suit you.

The pay is based on how many lessons you teach in a month, so you can make quite a bit of money once you're established as an instructor. The flexibility of the schedule also means you can plan time to travel / go on vacation / entertain friends visiting Japan, or work on side projects: a lot of other instructors I know are musicians, artists, freelancers, etc.

I really enjoyed the one-to-one teaching style, which I personally find less stressful than a classroom environment. It gives you more opportunity to strike up a meaningful conversation, get to know your students (or as we call them, "clients"), and meet interesting people.

Before you start teaching you're required to attend Initial Certification, which is unpaid. The first month at GABA can be difficult, as you don't teach a full month due to the first week of certification. Also, as a new instructor and unknown to the clients you'll have less bookings (students requesting your lessons) and more (unpaid) downtime.

So during this time, it's important to make yourself available for many lessons and make a good impression in order to build your client base.

John
College of William and Mary

Flexibility

For me, Gaba was great. I was working part time at a university and also freelance with several other companies. However, I still ended up having a lot of "dead" space in my schedule. I wanted a place that was flexible with hours, and really there is no better place when it comes to that. I booked only the times I wanted to and was able to make a nice side income. As an unexpected bonus, my LS was in a very suave location and outfitted appropriately. It was a more pleasant working conditions than a lot of Tokyo eikaiwas. I'd say that Gaba suits you if you consider yourself more of a professional, and definitely personally motivated.

The pay sytem is not incredible when looked at on an hourly basis, but if you're willing to work a lot of evenings and weekends, the system can definitely work in your favor. If you're just looking for a steady, reliable job that you can just coast on, Gaba probably isn't for you. You need to be able to "sell" yourself to clients (who generally book you specifically), and this doesn't always come naturally. They also don't pay for transportation, but all these "negatives" are pretty clearly explained during the application process, so you can't call them unfair. In the end, Gaba can be as much (or as little) as you make of it.

Gaba Corporation recruits English language teachers from around the world to teach 1-to-1 lessons to our students in Gaba Learning Studios. We have 44 Learning Studios in the major cities of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Fukuoka and Nagoya), and we are continuing to