English teaching jobs in Japan with TEFL Certification

Interested in getting paid to travel the world? By earning your accredited TEFL certification with International TEFL Academy, you can teach English in Japan & in 80+ countries worldwide.

The Asian markets are some of the largest in the world for English teachers, and Japan has one of the longest traditions of employing TEFL certified English instructors. A 4-year university degree and your TEFL certificate are absolutely required for teaching in Japan.

A job teaching English abroad in Japan is a fantastic way to live overseas and make money while exploring exciting cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto!

Armed with your International TEFL Academy TEFL certification & ITA's lifetime job search assistance, you'll be able to finding professional teaching jobs in Japan & in more than 80 countries worldwide.

We've helped more than 20,000 people get TEFL certified & experience the world. Join the movement, make a difference, and earn some money along the way!

Why is International TEFL Academy the Right Choice?

• One-on-One Pre-Enrollment Guidance: What TEFL class is best for teaching English in Japan? Is Japan the right country choice for me? How much money do I need to bring with me to Japan & what kind of visa do I need? Your personal ITA Advisor will help you navigate these questions about TEFL certification & teaching English abroad in Japan, including detailed information about English teaching jobs in popular cities like Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto!
  • Professional TEFL Certification Courses: We offer accredited TEFL certification courses online (11 weeks online) and in-person (4 weeks) in 25 locations worldwide, and of these would qualify you to teach English in Japan. Every ITA TEFL class exceeds international professional standards for instructor qualifications, accredited curriculum, and student teaching hours. The Online TEFL class is the most popular option for teaching in Japan since students typically interview from his/her home country for positions.
  • We Have Been in YOUR shoes: Everyone on the ITA staff has extensive international experience. Travel is in our blood. It’s our passion to help people realize how realistic this dream of living & working abroad can be. We all appreciate the challenges & rewards of living, traveling, and working abroad.
  • One-on-One Job Search Guidance for Teaching English in Japan: How do I actually find a teaching job in Tokyo or Kyoto? Once enrolled in any ITA TEFL class, you’ll work with our team of expert Student Affairs advisors to help you prepare for your job search in Japan. Enjoy access to the most comprehensive job resources & guidance on the planet to help you navigate international job markets across Japan, Europe and in 80 countries worldwide.
  • Access to ITA Worldwide Alumni Network: Don’t know anyone in Japan? No problem! Japan is one of the most popular countries for ITA graduates teaching English abroad. As an ITA alumni you have exclusive opportunities to network, connect, and correspond with our 20,000 ITA alumni teaching English across the globe. This is a great way to meet friends before you get to Japan & get all of your questions answered by current ITA alumni on the ground abroad in Asia!

How Do I Get Started?

Contact International TEFL Academy for your starter brochure or call us directly at 773-634-9900 & start working with your personal Admission Advisors. Your advisor will work with you one-on-one to answer your all of your questions, go over your options & set up your game plan to see the world. Your advisor will be happy to speak with you as many times as you need to go over job markets, hiring requirements, TEFL course options & much more.

Your journey begins now so let’s get in touch & let’s get started!

Here's what the program says about it: https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/teach-english-in-j… While most job postings do require a degree, I know people without one who have found employment. It's much easier to do that here on the ground than from abroad though. Teachers will need their school/ company to sponsor their working visa. If said school/ company is hiring online or from abroad...
The answer is no- ITA classes are open for anyone to take!

• Benefits 8
  • Facilities 10
  • Instruction 9.5
  • Difficulty 4.5
  • Job Assistance 8.5
Charlotte

For those who want to get serious about getting abroad!

I will begin by saying that I absolutely recommend the ITA to any person looking to get ESL certified. I took the online certification, so my review is about that option in particular. It was perfect for someone like me who was already working full time and couldn't take weeks off to go do an on-site class. There was enough material to keep me engaged throughout the several month period, but not so much that I couldn't handle the workload. My assigned teacher was there only really to assist if we had questions or problems- I don't remember her doing any real teaching. In that way it was sort of a self study thing, so you do have to be motivated on your own. The coursework was designed in such a way that we had to read the material carefully though, and I thought that the content was of great quality.

Unlike most online courses, the ITA requires students to complete practicum hours which, while potentially difficult to find without assistance, make you more marketable upon completion and enhance the learning experience.

There is tons information avaialable for students as well. Job search info, country-specific information, alumni testamonials, and more. The most valuable part of the whole program and experience for me has been gaining access to the alumni network. I have met ITA alums in several countries and been in friendly contact with many more. Most are very happy to answer any questions you might have, and their photos, blogs, and videos are invaluable insights to the places they are.

ITA was one of the more expensive options, but for what I've gotten, I think it's worth the price. I think this course is the ideal choice for teachers-to-be who are eager and motivated!

I would have appreciated more involvement with my assigned teacher
Response from International TEFL Academy

Really appreciate the time you took to explain your experience with our Online TEFL class and your job search guidance and practicum. Glad to hear that things have been going well for you so far and as always, reach out with any questions and we're always happy to help! - ITA

Katrina

My Online TEFL Certification Course

My experience with ITA was absolutely amazing! My advisor, Helen, was fantastic and made me feel very comfortable about my decision to go with ITA! She answered my questions thoroughly and didn't try and pressure me to sign up for a course, which is one of the things that first set ITA apart from the other programs I had been looking at. I talked on the phone with her for almost an hour about the online certification program and what services ITA offered their students and not once did I feel awkward or the intense desire to fake an emergency. It didn't feel like a sales pitch- it felt like an actual conversation and that was really important to me because it showed that ITA advisors had different motivations than the ones I talked to with places like CIEE.

The online course I took was fantastic and gave me the tools to succeed as an English teacher. I learned strategies for teaching different age groups, was warned about difficulties students could have when learning about things like synonyms, taught how to make a flawless lesson and activity plan, and offered suggestions on good classroom management styles. My instructor always made sure to give detailed feedback on my assignments and quickly responded to any questions I emailed her with. The lessons I learned, combined with my teaching practicum, helped me gain confidence in my abilities and assured me that getting TEFL certified was the right choice for me.

Even after the course was over though, I never felt like ITA just threw me out into the world with no idea of how to use my new certification. I was sent emails with links to Facebook groups ITA had set up so that I could connect with a community of people who were just like me, given instructions on how ITA would support me in my attempts to find a job, and informed about other services they offered to their students so that they could be sure to succeed.

The aid and encouragement that ITA has given me is amazing! The reason they are the best program out there is because they really care about their students and I guarantee that you won't regret taking this course for even a moment!

I honestly can't think of anything at the moment that I would say ITA needs to improve!
Shana

Why You Shouldn't Get Your TEFL & Teach in Japan

The title of this review is a little bit misleading. Well, to be honest, a lot a bit misleading. The only reason one shouldn't come to Japan to teach english is if he or she is not open to new experiences and new cultures (which if that's the case he or she probably shouldn't be traveling at all). Japan is a beautiful and rich culture in so many ways, and whether you live and teach in the countryside or the city the experiences you WILL have are abundant.

My TEFL certification, which I received through the International TEFL Academy, has allowed me to be competitive in the job market as well as confident in the classroom while here in Japan. And honestly, the classroom is just one more interesting and often exciting way to learn about Japanese people, culture, and history while making connections you will never forget. (The students, staff, and fellow teachers are also really wonderful about keeping you up to date on local events and festivals which you can't miss out on)!

I worked for two years as an eikaiwa teacher, teaching students anywhere from the age of just 1 year into 90-something years. The conversations I had and the relationships I formed were unlike most of the relationships I made in any job previously. Also, because of the TEFL certification and the experience I gained through my courses and practicum, I walked into my first lesson (and many following lessons) far more confident and prepared than the teachers who came without a certification.

Following my experience working eikaiwa, I have recently started working as a Junior High School ALT. While the classroom experience, class sizes, and working hours are different from the eikaiwa lifestyle, I have already fallen in love with this position. Once again, I'm surrounded by incredibly open and welcoming co-workers and students-- only this time your students make you feel like a rock star (literally). Due to my previous experience in eikaiwa, as well as the aforementioned TEFL experience, the day to day classroom lifestyle has been incredibly smooth and easy for me. My teachers have mentioned how my teaching style is different from other ALTs, but they also think it's really fun and engaging. The methods I use are ones I wouldn't have learned without my TEFL and practicum experience.

Outside of work, life is always an adventure for me. There is always some sort of event or festival happening. There are so many gorgeous sites to see and rich cultural/historical experiences to engage in. Since moving here, I have also been able to travel to several other countries. I have traveled from Japan to Korea, Hokkaido (which, yes, is part of Japan but it's still very different), Australia, and Taiwan. I have plans to go to Korea again, Hawaii, and Thailand this year alone. I'm also able to do all of these things despite still having to pay off loans and student debt from America.

When I originally decided to get my certification, I didn't know where I wanted to go or how long I would want to do any of this. However, I can honestly say that getting that certification and making the decision to come to Japan has been not only life-changing, but it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. If you're considering traveling and you want an enjoyable way to work while you do it then you can't go wrong, and Japan is (in my opinion) one of the best places you can go to start your own adventure. I am so grateful to ITA, my practicum teachers, and the classmates I had during my TEFL course for helping encourage and prepare me for the experiences of a life time. I am looking forward to even more!

N/A

About International TEFL Academy

International TEFL Academy is passionate about two things:

1) Providing the highest quality TEFL certification classes.

2) Ensuring all of our graduates find professional, paid English teaching jobs abroad & have a wonderful experience overseas.

...