Get TEFL Certified & Make Money Teaching English Abroad in 80+ Countries Worldwide

Earn your accredited TEFL certification with International TEFL Academy & you’ll be qualified for professional, paid English teaching jobs in 80+ countries across the globe.

If you’re a native English speaker from the U.S. or Canada, age 21 or above, and passionate about education, then teaching abroad is one of the best ways for you to live, work, and travel abroad in Europe, Asia, Latin America, or the Middle East.

You can take your ITA TEFL class Online or In-Person in 25 locations worldwide. All ITA graduates have lifetime access to one-on-one job search guidance and exclusive alumni networks.

Why is International TEFL Academy the Right Choice?

• One-on-One Pre-Enrollment Guidance: What TEFL class is best for teaching English abroad in Spain, Japan, or Costa Rica? Which country is right for me? How much money do I need to bring with me & what kind of visa do I need? Your personal ITA Advisor will help you navigate these questions about TEFL certification & teaching English abroad.
  • Professional TEFL Certification Courses in North America: We offer accredited, 4-week In-Person TEFL classes at our headquarters in Chicago and in New York City. We also have 25 locations internationally. All of these TEFL classes qualify you to teach English in 80 countries worldwide. Every ITA TEFL class exceeds international professional standards for instructor qualifications, accredited curriculum, and student teaching hours. Getting TEFL certified in U.S. before going abroad is a great option if you’re not sure where you want to teach yet but know you want to get TEFL certified, and it’s also a great option for those who prefer face-to-face learning over online.
  • We Have Been in YOUR shoes: Everyone on the ITA staff has extensive international experience. Take your TEFL class at the ITA HQ and you’ll be interacting with fellow travelers on a daily basis! Travel is in our blood. It’s our passion to help people realize how realistic this dream of living & working abroad can be. We all appreciate the challenges & rewards of living, traveling, and working abroad.
  • One-on-One Job Search Guidance for Teaching English in Japan: How do I actually find a teaching job in Europe, Asia, or Latin America? Once enrolled in any ITA TEFL class, you’ll work with our team of expert Student Affairs advisors to help you prepare for your job search. You’re welcome to make an appointment with us during your time at the ITA HQ to work on your job search. Enjoy access to the most comprehensive job resources & guidance on the planet to help you navigate international job markets in 80 countries worldwide.
  • Access to ITA Worldwide Alumni Network: Don’t know anyone teaching English abroad? No problem! As an ITA alumni you have exclusive opportunities to network, connect, and correspond with our 20,000 ITA alumni teaching English across the globe. This is a great way to meet friends before you head abroad & get all of your questions answered by current ITA alumni on the ground abroad in Asia!

How Do I Get Started?

Contact International TEFL Academy for your starter brochure or call us directly at 773-634-9900 & start working with your personal Admission Advisors. Your advisor will work with you one-on-one to answer your all of your questions, go over your options & set up your game plan to see the world. Your advisor will be happy to speak with you as many times as you need to go over job markets, hiring requirements, TEFL course options & much more.

Your journey begins now so let’s get in touch & let’s get started!

Hi Alexandra, The majority of English language classes around the world are taught by non native English teachers, e.g. in Russia the majority teaching English are Russian. In China the majority teaching English are Chinese. Most countries want fluent English speakers ("native is also use") because many of the local English teachers don't have fluent English skills or American or British dialect...
Ages for people teaching English abroad varies country by country, some are set by the country for a work visa, some are cultural norms. Here's an article to give some insight but there are people 18 to 88 teaching English in different countries.

• Benefits 8.8
  • Facilities 7.2
  • Instruction 8.4
  • Academic Rigor 5.2
  • Job Assistance 8.2
Taylor

International TEFL Academy gives you the freedom to move

The summer before my senior year of college I was feeling very unsure of what I would like to do in the future. It was then that I turned to Go Overseas and discovered International TEFL Academy. I immediately filled out their request for more information and within a couple of minutes my admissions advisor, Tyler, reached out to me. Throughout the entire admissions process I had multiple phone calls and emails with my numerous questions answered in an very timely manner. I felt fully supported and this was even before I had committed to the program. I then began the course, which I was able to complete while having a full college course load, a job and being a college athlete, which is to say that this course is perfect for those that are employed or are still in school. The teacher that I had was timely, open and easy to reach with questions. I felt that the course was useful but did not overload me with busy assignments. Upon completion of the course I interviewed to work as a teacher's assistant in Isreal and have for the last year been in Israel with plans to teach English in Spain next year. All I can say is that International TEFL Academy gave me mobility and allowed me to have incredible life changing experiences. I would 100% and have 100% recommended it to anyone looking to teach abroad.

Ryan

Why ITA may be right for you.

When I was preparing myself to teach abroad, I had some obstacles I had to get through. I still had a full time job and personal responsibilities to attend to. I needed a program that would work around my busy schedule but I also wanted a quality program with great support as I started the process of living and teaching abroad. International TEFL Academy (ITA) was definitely that program for me. I looked into many programs, talked to many advisors and concluded that ITA checked all the boxes I was looking for when considering the right program. The staff was great during the processes of choosing a country and answering questions. The program had great materials to use when developing your teaching skills. The instructor did a great job communicating to me personally and the entire group. Lastly, the additional resources they provide were exactly what I needed to find a job in the country I wanted to go to. I have already referred the program to some of my friends.

I would like to see this programs have more video demonstration of what a classroom in a different country looks like and demonstration videos on how different teachers deliver instructions.
Katie

Awesome

I had a great experience with ITA. I like in person classes for accountability and they provided that in the Chicago class. I found the work in the class harder than any class I had taken in college. It was difficult but really rewarding. I ended up teaching in South Korea now for almost 2 years. I will be able to pay off my student loans. Yaay. I also discovered I want to be a kindergarten teacher. It changed my life and I am really happy.

I honestly think it's the best program out there.
I have some ideas
1. Have a private site for all alumni you can log in to forever. They have a private site during your time in the classroom but after it disappears. They could offer extended courses and I might pay for them.
2. Assistance after teaching: after having taught for a year and a half I knew I wanted to be a teacher in the USA. I didn't know how to go about getting qualified. No one I knew had done it and I didn't know what company to use. The company is right there along every step of the way with you. It would be nice if they could offer assistance with continuing my education. I could also make more money with a usa teaching certificate overseas.
Tom

Regret investing the money & time

I don't like posting negative reviews. Just like most people, I want to share positive news and experiences. But there's a dark problem in the TEFL/TESOL world that's not getting the attention it should and which is costing students lots of money and wasted time. I completed the ITA TEFL program with flying colors after an extended chat with their intake specialists about whether I would be a decent candidate for TEFL abroad. It was very uncomfortable having the conversation with them about race and age, but I'd done my research before and learned both from other TEFL instructors and from reading journal articles that there is gender, race, appearance, and age discrimination widely all over the world in the TEFL industry. I didn't want to invest over $1000 in schooling (after having spent tens of thousands on university education) if I wasn't going to be able to overcome discriminatory practices. ITA's staff was cooly encouraging, pointing out they had "many" successful graduates like me. I'd heard something similar from the administration where I did my graduate training and that didn't pan out, so I was nervous but decided to take the plunge.

The first problem I encountered was in the teaching material. It was dated and had the feel of a program from the 80's (graphics, layout...). And there were frequent errors throughout the material. And while I understand students need to practice to master concepts, the assignments felt like just busywork, with little rigor or actual teaching (from staff to us). Still, I completed the program with the praise of the teaching staff. Offered a chance to do a module on early childhood teaching, I couldn't bring myself to engage any more of the dated, dry learning modules so declined.

I had difficulty finding a community teaching practicum. Many of the contacts ITA provided were either dead or, when I contacted program managers, they told me they'd never heard of ITA. Finally, I arranged something awkward that satisfied (but really shouldn't have) the practicum requirements and I finished the program.

It took me over a year to get a job (China). Of course, I wanted a job with a decent enough pay for me to both survive AND keep paying my student loan bills back home. But despite my multiple degrees and lots of teaching experience in the US, I found nowhere was interested in me. I have an electronic folder full of over 200 different resumes and cover letters for many different types of teaching opportunities. I applied in Latin America, Europe, The Middle East, North Africa, and throughout Asia. Places that initially required JUST a resume contacted me the same day they got my resume to set up a Skype interview which I took very seriously, researching the company and their target audience and even renting a professional office space (day office), dressing professionally, and preparing a mock lesson. Invariably, within seconds of the interviews starting, these companies were visibly disappointed with who I am. I never heard back from any of them, though I kept (and continue) seeing their ads for instructors. I can't adequately express how demoralizing and humiliating that is.

Then there were the other ads that requested "a recent photo" or "your passport photo page." I even hired a resume company to help me craft my resume (a service ITA offers but I wanted a professional company to help me maximize my chances at getting a decent-pay job so went with a highly reviewed company that offers EFL resume help). After applying to literally hundreds of positions in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, Laos... I was offered a position in the Middle East for less than half what other younger and inexperienced graduates were being offered with a company that had horrible Glassdoor reviews, including many employees' complaints about unethical treatment, contract abrogations, and payment failures. I finally got an offer from a company in Shanghai. The pay, for such an expensive city, was low, but I was just relieved to have found a job.

I accepted the Shanghai offer for one year but decided to return to the US. The management of the Shanghai company was abusive to all staff--Chinese and foreign, relying on screaming, humiliation, and other forms of abuse "to keep people in line," the words of the program director there. And they required instructors to falsify legal documents students were using to apply to US colleges. I felt very uncomfortable doing this so didn't renew my contract.

While I was in China, I applied to hundreds of teaching positions throughout the world. And until recently, I've done the same since returning home. I've even applied to teach in countries with unstable, even dangerous political situations. The evidence is irrefutable. If you're older (over 35, 40) and, I hate writing this, of African descent, especially if you're male (preference in Asia for female teachers), no matter how much experience, how many degrees, and what certification you have, you aren't likely to be a desirable candidate. Worse, because the job market for college graduates in the West is so abysmal that many graduates seek TEFL certificates simply to qualify for full-time work elsewhere while they wait for better opportunities back home, the market has been flooded with TEFL certificate graduates, both driving down salaries generally and making employers far more selective. Again, if you're the wrong type of teacher, many schools and companies have so many other candidates to choose from that you are likely to be out of luck.

I spent over $1000 for a TEFL certificate that's now worthless simply because of who I am. Never mind my experience teaching in public schools. This is a HUGE problem for the minority of TEFL certificate seekers who share my demographic. You can do the online search yourself for both popular recountings of these experiences and scholastic publications corroborating what I've shared here. TEFL certificate granting institutions should assume the ethical responsibility of having informed, frank discussions with students BEFORE we shell out money for knowledge we may never get to use due to widespread discrimination.

Follow your own teaching material advice and recognize that tomes of dry reading materials are INeffective pedagogy. Error-check your manuals more thoroughly. Hire teachers who WANT to interact with students, rather than toss one or two shallow sentences back on assignments as "feedback." Your program could be so much more effective at teaching HOW to teach (rather than how to regurgitate material) if YOU actually taught--the way you have us memorize how to teach.

Also, be honest with students before we commit to your program about major problems in the TEFL industry. It only undermines your credibility and community trust when graduates like me finish the program very successfully but then remain unemployed due to the issues I've outlined above.
No, I don't recommend this program
Mike

Higher Priced but well worth it!

As someone who has no ESL teaching experience, ITA has done a great job teaching me what I need in order to succeed. I went into this program feeling a bit overwhelmed with the thought of jumping in front of a classroom full of people and teaching ESL. After learning how to manage a classroom, write lesson plans, and different strategies, I am more than prepared. I got my BS and MA degrees online and no instructor has given me the quality or amount of input that my ITA instructor has. She has been very thorough, giving long explanations whenever necessary, and has been extremely patient the entire time. ITA might cost more than some of the other TEFL programs out there, but you get what you pay for.

Sarah

Definitely Worth It

I attended the TEFL course in Chicago and it was a great experience. I learned a lot and felt prepared for my first teaching job in the Republic of Georgia. The instructors were amazing and always helpful. The curriculum was great and the practicum was a definite advantage to taking this course as opposed to taking it online. I have since taught English in South Korea, Myanmar, and Micronesia and I still use the Job Search Guidance Manual when thinking about my next destination.

Gwen

Wonderful program!

I had a wonderful experience with the International TEFL Academy! I took the in-classroom course in Chicago, and found that it was definitely worth the price. We taught four one-and-a-half hour classes to non-native English speakers from around the city (who were able to take the classes for free), using our own lesson plans. For each lesson plan, we were given extensive resources and feedback so that by the end we all had a good idea of our strengths and weaknesses as teachers. Our two instructors were fantastic, each bringing a variety of teaching experiences to the classroom. Months after graduating I am still in contact with ITA, who have been very helpful reading over job contracts and giving me advice on the whole overseas job-search process. I would highly recommend the International TEFL Academy to anyone who is seriously considering teaching overseas!

Kelsey

International TEFL Academy

My favorite part about working with International TEFL Academy was my advisor, Jessie. She was so helpful and always very willing to answer any question I had. I am now currently teaching in Seoul, South Korea, which is where Jessie also taught. Having an advisor who has experienced teaching in the same location I was planning on going to was great! She gave me a lot of helpful tips and recomendations of things I should do when I arrived. I still keep in touch with Jessie to this day! I could never imagine working with any other academy to get my TEFL certification!

Elizabeth

Amazing Experience

Getting my TEFL certification through International TEFL Academy was the best decision in regard to furthering my teaching opportunities. Prior to attending ITA, I had been teaching in South Korea where TEFL certification isn't required. I realized how much I love teaching and wanted to keep doing it while experiencing new cultures. I signed up for the program and was contacted by a pre-admissions advisor. Turns out my advisor had also taught in Korea, so we had a lot to talk about. He was extremely helpful with answering all of my questions. Even though I was on the other side of the world, I felt totally prepared for the class. ITA sent a pre-course email with further information about the course, where to find the books, and some suggestions on where to stay if you're from out of town. Once the class started, it was a lot of work. I was at school 10 to 11 hours a day (sometimes by choice), and then I would go home to finish quizzes or other homework. Even though it was a lot of work in a very short time, I never felt overwhelmed. The students in my class were supportive and encouraging, the teachers offered assistance in every way possible, and even my advisor gave some suggestions on where to go/what to do to de-stress. Once a week during the course, we had mini seminars on different topics; resume writing, teaching in Asia, teaching in Latin America, teaching in Europe and the Middle East. These seminars sparked my interest in new countries I'd never considered. The advisors leading the seminars have a wealth of knowledge to share. They can tell you about the different visa options, where to go if you want to teach children/adults/both, salary ranges for each country, volunteer options abroad, and more. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I still stay in touch with some of the students from my class, and we often reminisce about our time in Chicago. Though it was a tough four weeks, it was a rewarding experience that I would do over again in a heartbeat.

It's hard for me to pick something I would improve because I had such an incredible experience with ITA. From the moment I signed up for the course until I received my certificate, there is nothing I can think of that I would change. Perhaps if my class had been smaller (my class had 10 people) I would have had more opportunities to teach in the practicum. I was most nervous about this part of the program, but I enjoyed the experience and the personal feedback from the instructor was very helpful.
Laura

Excellent Experience

I can honestly say that enrolling with ITA has changed the course of my life for the better. I was unsure as to which program would benefit me the most in my future, and I am super glad I decided upon the 190-minute in class practicum ITA offers.

Not only did it prepare me for teaching abroad, but the teaching staff, recruiting staff and everyone involved was kind and helpful along the way. I never felt uncomfortable or lost throughout the course, and found it to be a welcomed challenge.

The alumni program is also great; I've met some super great friends here in Korea that I otherwise wouldn't have known - all through the ITA alumni program!

Overall, I highly recommend anyone thinking of obtaining an internationally recognized TEFL certification to immediately start considering enrolling with ITA.

My only complaint is there was nobody to directly help with finding a job as much as I'd hoped. It wasn't a major problem, though.
Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Laura, thanks for the 10 out of 10 review, a great recommendation and we are happy you enjoyed the class and got a great job abroad. A correction for others reading this, you took a 190 hour online TEFL class (not minutes) which had a 20 hour practicum.

You also mentioned nobody directly helped with finding a job as much as you hoped. You took the class 2 years before this review so perhaps you forgot all that was involved. From our records we have over 50 email correspondences with you and also an in person meeting in Chicago with our job search guidance advisor. We provide all our students with a comprehensive 350 page job search manual, lists of preferred recruiters in Asia, lists of over 20,000 language schools, over 100 ESL job boards, live webinars to attend about job search including one specifically on Korea (where you went) and a library of taped webinars. All students have access to a full staff of job advisors to create a plan, answer questions, review resumes and cover letters, review contracts and provide unlimited lifetime job support.

What we do not do is get the job for you or tell a student where they have to go. We are here to train our students to learn how to work abroad and offer support and guidance so they have a skill set to be autonomous living abroad.

Jason

Pre-Enrollment Through the Roof

ITA's pre-enrollment was extremely helpful in providing me everything I needed to pick the best certification. The course over-qualified me to teach English abroad as well. If I could add anything to the company, it would be to hire someone in each market who can serve as a link between the companies or schools and teaching candidates.

Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Jason thanks for the feedback, glad you appreciated our services and training. We do have 5 fulltime people on staff to assist our students with job assistance however it's a graduate's responsibility to interview and choose a job. We can only provide the assistance, feedback and skill set for graduates to choose the best job that suit them, everything else is between you and your employer. We believe training our graduates to be autonomous abroad is better than being reliant on us. We hope to hear about your experiences in our alumni stories soon!

Hilary

Best Deal in TEFL Certification - by far

Despite my experience volunteering with Interexchange at an exorbitant cost and being placed in a very difficult family situation, I chose to pursue teaching abroad and TEFL certification. After much online research and shopping around, I settled on a couple of options. I corresponded with a few, receiving generic responses or finding their process or costs practically impossible. Finally, after a skype session with Matthew Birgy from International TEFL Academy, my decision became cemented. Not only did he show up for the skype session, but he also answered my questions and alleviated my fears in regard to finding work and getting along. As a former teacher himself, he drew from his own experience and applied the relevant aspects to my own situation.

What a steal! I managed to get a great deal on the course as well! It was an easily navigable online course that I could access from anywhere - Italy, France, Switzerland, or wherever I may have traveled at the time. The teacher was nice and prompt in answering my questions. I found the material to be simple and I liked having the practice in lesson planning for a younger age group.

With the help of the excellent and reputable program and Matthew Birgy, I was offered several jobs up to a month before I even finished the course. I accepted my current job in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Once again I had a lot of help in getting things arranged. I did not go through a company (as advised), so I got to keep all of my paycheck and choose where I would teach.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone look anywhere else. It has been close to a year since I signed up for the program and I can still shoot Matt an email with my questions or ask advice concerning my next adventure. This was far more than just a TEFL certification. This was a major life choice. I am so glad that I chose so well. I love my school. I love Thailand. I know that I will love my next exploit as well! I am fully prepared and ready to go!

I loved the program. I am so fortunate! How can you improve on the best thing? I'm sure that you can and they will. The classes could have been a bit more lively and present less lengthy, dry material. Overall, it was ok though. It was very well organized and managed.
Jordana

Intense course

Be ready to work hard and know how to balance your time. Jobs do not come easily, after graduation the real work begins. I suggest studying up on English Grammar before beginning the program. You have to be very self motivated finding teaching jobs and tutoring. They do not help you get a job afterward. It is just in and out with a new group full of naive students filling their seats with $1800 in hand. It is all very rushed, you will spend ALL your time doing homework if you want this program to be successful. However, there is no way I would have had the knowledge to teach others English without this program.

It is too rushed
Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Jordana,
We appreciate taking the time for the review. From our correspondences with you we have notes you really liked the TEFL class in Florence, got a lot out of it, you found a job in Italy. You later contacted us for job assistance in Spain and we had discussions with you about this.

Jobs for anyone in life do take effort and a serious nature to go investigate, interview, and review offers. ITA provides training on how to find the jobs, lists of thousands of language schools, requirements, how to evaluate and secure a job during the right season. All the expectations are given prior to enrollment and if our students follow our advice it works out.

While we appreciate the review, your score of 5 out of 10 seems inconsistent with what was promised and delivered, excellent TEFL certification training and the skills and resources to find employment.

Your review is accurate that this is a full time class for 4 weeks, lots of reading, classwork and homework. It's the real deal, it's bootcamp for becoming a TEFL certified English teacher. 4 weeks to learn as much in a meaningful way to be as effective as a teacher as possible. We have provided a wealth of resources along the way and time on the phone whenever you requested for job assistance. We hope that if you are looking to teach anywhere again to please reach out to us and let us assist you as we provide lifetime job assistance.

Hannah

International TEFL academy

Although a TEFL certificate is definitely not needed for teaching in Thailand the networking that I had access to because of this class was invaluable. Upon landing in the country I felt like I already had friends willing to meet up, travel together, and help me look for jobs. I've met some of my best friends through International TEFL Academy.

Not being able to go back and log into the course website after a certain amount of time. There are so many times when writing lesson plans that I wish I could go back to course content.
Response from International TEFL Academy

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the review and feedback. The online course is open to go back into after the 11 week class has been completed for a certain period of time. We do remind people to copy anything out of there they want (such as lesson plans) but like all good things they must come to an end and let the new students into the course.

Laurel

Everyone should do this!

Registering with International TEFL Academy was one of the best decisions of my life. The staff were so supportive and always made you feel excited about the possibilities and doors that would open once I became certified. Working with ITEFL Academy to get certified creates limitless possibilities for you!

About International TEFL Academy

International TEFL Academy is passionate about two things:

1) Providing the highest quality TEFL certification classes.

2) Ensuring all of our graduates find professional, paid English teaching jobs abroad & have a wonderful experience overseas.

...