By International TEFL Academy   Reviews (25)   91% Rating

Teach English Around the World Get TEFL Certified Worldwide

By International TEFL Academy   Reviews (25)   91% Rating

Get paid to teach English around the world!

Are you:

A native English speaker from USA or Canada seeking to get paid to teach English abroad?

Age 21 and older?

Do you want to get paid to live & work as an English teacher in Europe, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East?

Looking to take an internationally accredited TEFL certification course that includes comprehensive job placement assistance that will qualify you for thousands of English teaching jobs worldwide?

Get TEFL certified with International TEFL Academy!

Based in Chicago IL, USA, International TEFL Academy is a worldwide leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad. Offering state-of-the-art accredited TEFL classes online and 25 locations world – including 5 TEFL class locations in North America - we certify more than 3,500 people a year to teach English overseas and our graduates are teaching in 80 countries worldwide. In addition to earning an internationally accredited qualification that is recognized by thousands of schools and language institutes worldwide, all ITA students receive lifetime job search guidance and access to a full array of alumni services and networking opportunities.

U.S. TEFL Class Locations: Chicago, Boston, New York, Seattle, Honolulu.

We also offer 4-week in-person classes in 25 locations worldwide and the top Online TEFL Course in the field. Check out an overview and read reviews on Go Overseas for our Online Class.

Why does International TEFL Academy offer the Top TEFL Classes in the United States for Teaching English Abroad?

• State-of-the-art curriculum incorporating the latest in teaching methodologies and practices including classroom management & lesson planning;
  • Comprehensive Pre-Enrollment Guidance & Advice: work with a personal advisor to answer all of your questions about TEFL certification & teaching English abroad;
  • Highly qualified professors possessing advanced degrees & experience;
  • Live practicum to gain hands-on teaching experience with actual ESL students;
  • Lifetime job placement assistance, including personal assistance from expert advisors and referrals to top schools and recruiters;
  • Alumni Network: exclusive opportunities to network & correspond with thousands of ITA alumni teaching in 80 countries worldwide;
  • Internationally Accredited: all TEFL courses meeting or exceed international standards and are externally monitored & accredited by internationally recognized bodies.

How Do I Learn More?

• Contact International TEFL Academy for a free brochure.
  • You will also be assigned a personal admissions advisor to answer all of your questions about teaching abroad and TEFL certification.
  • You will also receive access to the most comprehensive information available anywhere about teaching English abroad, including hundreds of articles & FAQs, country profiles, ebooks & guides, firsthand stories, videos & live webcasts!
  • From hiring requirements and salaries, to TEFL certification & job placement assistance we are available to help you with all of your questions about teaching English abroad. This information is available free of charge, so just get in touch!

Location:

• U.S. TEFL Classes: Chicago, Boston, New York, Seattle, Honolulu
  • In-person TEFL classes are also offered in 25 locations worldwide and we offer a state-of-the-art Online TEFL Class.

Length:

• In-person TEFL Courses: 4 weeks
  • Online TEFL Courses: 11 weeks (part-time)

Requirements:

Students must be native English speakers.

Type of Training:

TEFL Certification for teaching English abroad

Job Placement Services:

International TEFL Academy offers lifetime job placement services to students who complete any ITA TEFL course and are awarded their TEFL certificate. Service includes personalized assistance from experienced advisors, 300 page job guidance manual; contact information for more than 30,000 schools & recruiters; access to hundreds of job boards; alumni network with over 10,000 ITA graduates teaching worldwide & much more.

Housing:

Options & costs will vary by course. Request a brochure or speak to an advisor to learn more about specific options.

Cost Description:

In-person TEFL classes vary from $1500 - $2700 depending on location (housing not included). Online classes are $1,395.

Application:

Contact International TEFL Academy for a free brochure to speak with an advisor and to learn more about the course & enrollment, in addition to teaching jobs abroad & job placement assistance.

North America » United States of America
Teaching Practicum
Training Type
Online
Training Length
120hours
Job Placement
1000.00

Schools are looking for candidates that are old enough and mature enough to handle the pressures of teaching abroad. Although there is no guarantee with age, and there is no reason that an 18 year old...
Also worth noting, you don't have to be age 20-40 in order to take one of ITA's TEFL courses. You can be any age over 18 to qualify -- it's just that the bulk of teachers tend to fall in this age rang...
I think it's more of a guideline, rather than a fixed rule. In some countries, for example in China, where they can be pretty discriminating of age. However, I have worked in Ecuador and Vietnam and i...
Ages for people teaching English abroad varies country by country, some are set by the country for a work visa, some are cultural norms. Here's an article to give some insight but there are people 18...

Rating Values

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Sarah
Englewood, OH

Definitely Worth It

Overall

I attended the TEFL course in Chicago and it was a great experience. I learned a lot and felt prepared for my first teaching job in the Republic of Georgia. The instructors were amazing and always helpful. The curriculum was great and the practicum was a definite advantage to taking this course as opposed to taking it online. I have since taught English in South Korea, Myanmar, and Micronesia and I still use the Job Search Guidance Manual when thinking about my next destination.

Gwen
Ohio

Wonderful program!

Overall

I had a wonderful experience with the International TEFL Academy! I took the in-classroom course in Chicago, and found that it was definitely worth the price. We taught four one-and-a-half hour classes to non-native English speakers from around the city (who were able to take the classes for free), using our own lesson plans. For each lesson plan, we were given extensive resources and feedback so that by the end we all had a good idea of our strengths and weaknesses as teachers. Our two instructors were fantastic, each bringing a variety of teaching experiences to the classroom. Months after graduating I am still in contact with ITA, who have been very helpful reading over job contracts and giving me advice on the whole overseas job-search process. I would highly recommend the International TEFL Academy to anyone who is seriously considering teaching overseas!

Kelsey
Conroe, TX
San Jose State University

International TEFL Academy

Overall

My favorite part about working with International TEFL Academy was my advisor, Jessie. She was so helpful and always very willing to answer any question I had. I am now currently teaching in Seoul, South Korea, which is where Jessie also taught. Having an advisor who has experienced teaching in the same location I was planning on going to was great! She gave me a lot of helpful tips and recomendations of things I should do when I arrived. I still keep in touch with Jessie to this day! I could never imagine working with any other academy to get my TEFL certification!

Elizabeth
South Korea
Florida State University

Amazing Experience

Overall

Getting my TEFL certification through International TEFL Academy was the best decision in regard to furthering my teaching opportunities. Prior to attending ITA, I had been teaching in South Korea where TEFL certification isn't required. I realized how much I love teaching and wanted to keep doing it while experiencing new cultures. I signed up for the program and was contacted by a pre-admissions advisor. Turns out my advisor had also taught in Korea, so we had a lot to talk about. He was extremely helpful with answering all of my questions. Even though I was on the other side of the world, I felt totally prepared for the class. ITA sent a pre-course email with further information about the course, where to find the books, and some suggestions on where to stay if you're from out of town. Once the class started, it was a lot of work. I was at school 10 to 11 hours a day (sometimes by choice), and then I would go home to finish quizzes or other homework. Even though it was a lot of work in a very short time, I never felt overwhelmed. The students in my class were supportive and encouraging, the teachers offered assistance in every way possible, and even my advisor gave some suggestions on where to go/what to do to de-stress. Once a week during the course, we had mini seminars on different topics; resume writing, teaching in Asia, teaching in Latin America, teaching in Europe and the Middle East. These seminars sparked my interest in new countries I'd never considered. The advisors leading the seminars have a wealth of knowledge to share. They can tell you about the different visa options, where to go if you want to teach children/adults/both, salary ranges for each country, volunteer options abroad, and more. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I still stay in touch with some of the students from my class, and we often reminisce about our time in Chicago. Though it was a tough four weeks, it was a rewarding experience that I would do over again in a heartbeat.

It's hard for me to pick something I would improve because I had such an incredible experience with ITA. From the moment I signed up for the course until I received my certificate, there is nothing I can think of that I would change. Perhaps if my class had been smaller (my class had 10 people) I would have had more opportunities to teach in the practicum. I was most nervous about this part of the program, but I enjoyed the experience and the personal feedback from the instructor was very helpful.
Laura
Seoul, Korea
Columbia College Chicago

Excellent Experience

Overall

I can honestly say that enrolling with ITA has changed the course of my life for the better. I was unsure as to which program would benefit me the most in my future, and I am super glad I decided upon the 190-minute in class practicum ITA offers.

Not only did it prepare me for teaching abroad, but the teaching staff, recruiting staff and everyone involved was kind and helpful along the way. I never felt uncomfortable or lost throughout the course, and found it to be a welcomed challenge.

The alumni program is also great; I've met some super great friends here in Korea that I otherwise wouldn't have known - all through the ITA alumni program!

Overall, I highly recommend anyone thinking of obtaining an internationally recognized TEFL certification to immediately start considering enrolling with ITA.

My only complaint is there was nobody to directly help with finding a job as much as I'd hoped. It wasn't a major problem, though.
Provider Response

Hi Laura, thanks for the 10 out of 10 review, a great recommendation and we are happy you enjoyed the class and got a great job abroad. A correction for others reading this, you took a 190 hour online TEFL class (not minutes) which had a 20 hour practicum.

You also mentioned nobody directly helped with finding a job as much as you hoped. You took the class 2 years before this review so perhaps you forgot all that was involved. From our records we have over 50 email correspondences with you and also an in person meeting in Chicago with our job search guidance advisor. We provide all our students with a comprehensive 350 page job search manual, lists of preferred recruiters in Asia, lists of over 20,000 language schools, over 100 ESL job boards, live webinars to attend about job search including one specifically on Korea (where you went) and a library of taped webinars. All students have access to a full staff of job advisors to create a plan, answer questions, review resumes and cover letters, review contracts and provide unlimited lifetime job support.

What we do not do is get the job for you or tell a student where they have to go. We are here to train our students to learn how to work abroad and offer support and guidance so they have a skill set to be autonomous living abroad.

Jason
San Jose, Costa Rica
University of Georgia

Pre-Enrollment Through the Roof

Overall

ITA's pre-enrollment was extremely helpful in providing me everything I needed to pick the best certification. The course over-qualified me to teach English abroad as well. If I could add anything to the company, it would be to hire someone in each market who can serve as a link between the companies or schools and teaching candidates.

Provider Response

Hi Jason thanks for the feedback, glad you appreciated our services and training. We do have 5 fulltime people on staff to assist our students with job assistance however it's a graduate's responsibility to interview and choose a job. We can only provide the assistance, feedback and skill set for graduates to choose the best job that suit them, everything else is between you and your employer. We believe training our graduates to be autonomous abroad is better than being reliant on us. We hope to hear about your experiences in our alumni stories soon!

Hilary
Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand
University of Central Oklahoma

Best Deal in TEFL Certification - by far

Overall

Despite my experience volunteering with Interexchange at an exorbitant cost and being placed in a very difficult family situation, I chose to pursue teaching abroad and TEFL certification. After much online research and shopping around, I settled on a couple of options. I corresponded with a few, receiving generic responses or finding their process or costs practically impossible. Finally, after a skype session with Matthew Birgy from International TEFL Academy, my decision became cemented. Not only did he show up for the skype session, but he also answered my questions and alleviated my fears in regard to finding work and getting along. As a former teacher himself, he drew from his own experience and applied the relevant aspects to my own situation.

What a steal! I managed to get a great deal on the course as well! It was an easily navigable online course that I could access from anywhere - Italy, France, Switzerland, or wherever I may have traveled at the time. The teacher was nice and prompt in answering my questions. I found the material to be simple and I liked having the practice in lesson planning for a younger age group.

With the help of the excellent and reputable program and Matthew Birgy, I was offered several jobs up to a month before I even finished the course. I accepted my current job in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Once again I had a lot of help in getting things arranged. I did not go through a company (as advised), so I got to keep all of my paycheck and choose where I would teach.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone look anywhere else. It has been close to a year since I signed up for the program and I can still shoot Matt an email with my questions or ask advice concerning my next adventure. This was far more than just a TEFL certification. This was a major life choice. I am so glad that I chose so well. I love my school. I love Thailand. I know that I will love my next exploit as well! I am fully prepared and ready to go!

I loved the program. I am so fortunate! How can you improve on the best thing? I'm sure that you can and they will. The classes could have been a bit more lively and present less lengthy, dry material. Overall, it was ok though. It was very well organized and managed.
Jordana
Portland, or

Intense course

Overall

Be ready to work hard and know how to balance your time. Jobs do not come easily, after graduation the real work begins. I suggest studying up on English Grammar before beginning the program. You have to be very self motivated finding teaching jobs and tutoring. They do not help you get a job afterward. It is just in and out with a new group full of naive students filling their seats with $1800 in hand. It is all very rushed, you will spend ALL your time doing homework if you want this program to be successful. However, there is no way I would have had the knowledge to teach others English without this program.

It is too rushed

Hi Jordana,
We appreciate taking the time for the review. From our correspondences with you we have notes you really liked the TEFL class in Florence, got a lot out of it, you found a job in Italy. You later contacted us for job assistance in Spain and we had discussions with you about this.

Jobs for anyone in life do take effort and a serious nature to go investigate, interview, and review offers. ITA provides training on how to find the jobs, lists of thousands of language schools, requirements, how to evaluate and secure a job during the right season. All the expectations are given prior to enrollment and if our students follow our advice it works out.

While we appreciate the review, your score of 5 out of 10 seems inconsistent with what was promised and delivered, excellent TEFL certification training and the skills and resources to find employment.

Your review is accurate that this is a full time class for 4 weeks, lots of reading, classwork and homework. It's the real deal, it's bootcamp for becoming a TEFL certified English teacher. 4 weeks to learn as much in a meaningful way to be as effective as a teacher as possible. We have provided a wealth of resources along the way and time on the phone whenever you requested for job assistance. We hope that if you are looking to teach anywhere again to please reach out to us and let us assist you as we provide lifetime job assistance.

Hannah
Hua Hin, Thailand
University of Minnesota

International TEFL academy

Overall

Although a TEFL certificate is definitely not needed for teaching in Thailand the networking that I had access to because of this class was invaluable. Upon landing in the country I felt like I already had friends willing to meet up, travel together, and help me look for jobs. I've met some of my best friends through International TEFL Academy.

Not being able to go back and log into the course website after a certain amount of time. There are so many times when writing lesson plans that I wish I could go back to course content.

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the review and feedback. The online course is open to go back into after the 11 week class has been completed for a certain period of time. We do remind people to copy anything out of there they want (such as lesson plans) but like all good things they must come to an end and let the new students into the course.

Laurel
Washington, DC
Indiana University- Bloomington

Everyone should do this!

Overall

Registering with International TEFL Academy was one of the best decisions of my life. The staff were so supportive and always made you feel excited about the possibilities and doors that would open once I became certified. Working with ITEFL Academy to get certified creates limitless possibilities for you!

Craig
Hong Kong
Doane College

Professional Academy

Overall

-Why you chose International TEFL Academy?

I lived near Chicago, Illinois.

-Did your TEFL class prepare for your job as an English teacher abroad?

Yes, it was comprehensive review of phonics, grammar, and of course cultural tips.

-Where are you teaching and did you use ITA's job search guidance to get hired?

Hong Kong. The school didn't have a lot of resources about Hong Kong specifically, but it did in China.

-Have you used alumni networking on Facebook and what do you like about it?

Yes the networking site is useful and fun.

-What was teaching abroad actually like & do you recommend it?

I teach preschool/kindergarden and I love it. It depends on the job situation. Since much of education in HK is privatised, your work environment could vary. You won't regret it though!

I could have used more info specifically about Hong Kong, but since I had contacts in Hong Kong already, I was alright.
Alice
Barcelona, Spain
Hartwick College

Incredibly helpful

Overall

When I started my search to find a way to travel abroad, I soon found the best way to travel and earn money was to become an English as a foreign language teacher. Once I settled on this path, I quickly discovered that there were A LOT of schools out there to choose from. The experience was a bit overwhelming. What attracted me to ITA was that I was able to talk to an advisor right away and start fielding my many questions. If you are planning on moving abroad, you are naturally going to have a lot of questions and a lot of doubts, and I liked that my ITA advisor was there with answers, and never once pressured me into making a decision that I may not have been ready for yet. I even had the chance to visit their office in Chicago last summer and everyone I spoke to working there was incredibly kind and helpful. Even now, well after the end of my course, I know I can reach out and ask for job guidance and help from ITA. I feel this program really makes an effort to help students be successful, not just get them in the door!

Armand
Chicago, IL
Columbia College Chicago

ITA provides an opportunity for a multicultural experience like no other!

Overall

I chose the International TEFL Academy to get my certification because it provides one with the most recognized TEFL certificate in the world. The pre-enrollment was helpful because it gave me an idea of what kind of work would be required to learn as much as possible in a short period of time in order to gain great teaching knowledge for potential learners, who could be children or adults. International TEFL Academy made the learning experience of being a teacher that much greater by giving me and my classmates a real teaching experience - an invaluable practice for those who have never taught at any level. As a result, I taught in China (Shenzhen) for two years, and it was all thanks to ITA's Job Search Guide, which allowed me to get hired one month after completing the class. I also use Facebook's Alumni page to stay up to date on any new hiring developments as far as Visa requirements, salary ranges and cultural customs for any potential country I may want to visit and teach in the future. Teaching abroad is a priceless experience, because it allows a person to grow spiritually by providing them with a world different from the one they grew up in, and by expanding their horizons, those who teach English abroad are able to become more tolerant, acceptable and appreciative of foreign cultures, foreign languages, foreign customs and foreign people altogether.

Hmm... tough one. I suppose I would suggest about the possibility of maybe getting some foreign children into the teaching practice curriculum as students, as we were only offered to teach adults. I know this probably isn't easy to do, but the issue is that most of us who go to teach overseas will likely work with children who have very little or no knowledge of English, and as such little bit of interaction and practice teaching youngsters would prepare us better of what and whom we'll be facing; teaching adults overseas is a rarity for majority of us.
Shannon
Can Tho, Vietnam
Arizona State University

See You on the Other Side

Overall

I graduated from college in May of 2012. A year before I had graduated I had already set my mind on going somewhere, doing something. Whether it were volunteering, taking a vacation or getting a job, I was going to do something overseas. I hadn't traveled much, but something inside of me was so eager to see the world, to do what I hadn't had the chance to do before. During my last semester at school, I saw a flyer on the wall, in the languages building, about getting certified to teach English abroad. I hadn't even known that it was an option at the time, but it really got my gears turning. Things had become more concrete. I now knew of an option. I had a clue to follow.

I started researching online, and before I knew it, someone had told me that a girl I went to high school with was doing the same in Spain. I put myself in contact with her (man is social media helpful) and asked about what she had to do and how she liked it. I probably bothered her a heck of a lot come to think of it. But hey, I had to know. She told me that she took the course at International TEFL Academy in downtown Chicago and that she liked it and it really helped her. I was from Chicago and was moving back after graduation, so things were looking good for my future abroad. Of course at this point I had already gotten excited and started fantasizing about what my life in a land far, far away would be like, but I had to keep my eyes on the prize. I put myself in contact with International TEFL Academy over the phone. I talked with Cassie Wells, an amazing, super energetic, motivating, and positive young girl who didn't hesitate to answer any of my questions and continued to answer via e-mail. I even went to the office downtown with my mom, who wasn't feeling so sure about the whole thing, to have a good talk about it. I found Cassie to be super honest, she didn't sugar coat anything and told us all about her experience. The deal was done. I'd been sold. Within the next few days I had signed up and put down the payment for the class. Enrolling was super easy and straightforward. I was on my way! If it hadn't been for the friendly staff, especially Cassie, who was willing to go above and beyond (always with a smile) to make my mom and I (mostly my mom) feel comfortable about the whole thing, things could have turned out differently. Not only was she happy to help, but she was patient and hadn't become jaded by so many others asking the same questions I had.

My TEFL class really prepared me for what to expect. I had great teachers, who were foreign, and also had experience teaching abroad. One was Polish and the other was from the Czech Republic. Both had a lot of great advice and had a lot of material and information. They were also patient, knowledgable and fun. We learned things from grammar review to cultural differences in the classroom. The best and most helpful part though was doing our practicum. Teaching for your first time and putting everything you learned in class into action, while being reviewed, can be nerve-racking. So having a somewhat controlled environment with lots of support and feedback was key. Of course I was nervous and uncomfortable at times, but overall my students were great and came from all backgrounds! After a few times you start feeling more confident of your abilities and less awkward. I can't imagine getting thrown into teaching without this kind of buffer.

I'm currently teaching in Vietnam, country #2!. However, I first taught in Ecuador...and ended up staying 2. 5 years! The first time around I did use a lot of the guidance materials to help me with making contact and to know a little bit about what to expect. I also kept in close contact with Christie Koness, the job search guidance counselor. She was great! Also friendly, helpful, and always there. (She and the rest of the ITEFLA staff also have a passion for travel, which makes them very passionate and understanding). We kept in touch for the fun of it after a bit and I even gave her some information about the visa processes and some things I found out along the way, which I thought would be helpful for other students looking to teach in Ecuador. After your first job or country you start to feel more confident, and you network and realize all of the jobs and countries that are out there. You work with like-minded people and finding jobs becomes easier and even more of an adventure. You stop worrying about the little details because you've already proven to yourself you can do it, and the truth is, you can! I also belong to the Ecuador and Vietnam Alumni Network groups on Facebook and check in on them from time to time. I think they are helpful and great to have there just in case, but I personally usually try to find information from co-workers, locals, or other people around me before resorting to the Facebook page. That is just personal preference though, because it does seem like there is a lot of involvement on the pages and that people are more than willing to lend the information they have. Always nice to know you have it there as a safety cushion.

Teaching abroad. There are so many things to say about it! It's exciting, it's confusing, it's rewarding, it's frustrating, it's eye-opening, it's testing. It's everything you could get working in your own country and more. You work and earn money, but you can also explore. Everyday is filled with little challenges to overcome and lots of little surprises. Every moment is new and exciting. The food and flavors, the language, the culture, the music, the transportation, the points of view, activities, ways of doing things. Literally everything. You're living it everyday. So, you are working, but your life doesn't become as monotonous. You can find beauty and a lesson in everything. Just going in to the market and successfully buying something, can leave you walking out with a big smile and puffed-out chest of accomplishment. Just in your immediate area you have adventures and experiences waiting for you. But don't forget you'll have the opportunity to explore the rest of the country, and hopefully even go beyond its boarders to get a taste of something new.

I have now taught abroad in two very different countries, lived in two different continents, and done adventure travel, while there, as well. Both are amazing and offer great opportunities. Do I recommend both of them? Yes, yes, and absolutely yes. Although I advocate travel, I highly suggest teaching abroad. It allows you the chance to really delve into the country, to what it's all about and everything it has to offer. You learn about the geography and the language, you create a life for yourself with so many new friends, both local and foreign. For example, you don't go back forgetting the name of a delicious food you tried, like you could just taking a trip. It's actually the contrary. You go back with a huge list of foods you loved eating and are now missing now that you're gone! More than anything, I think that you get pushed out of your comfort zone and sometimes to your limit. You're definitely tested. Although it could be a potentially uncomfortable and new experience, I believe that these tests, you may not have had the opportunity to "take" while living back home, give you an incomparable amount of growth and life experience, while allowing your mind to completely open and accept all that is happening with and around you. After all, we only get one shot at this thing we call life, we might as well do and see as much as possible while we still can. See you on the other side of the border!

One change I would make would be having a little more time during the program to speak with the counselors, so that they can help you get a bit more direction. For example, a mandatory meeting or something.

Also, I found some of the information in the Job Search Guidance Manual to be outdated, so I think keeping it updated and valid would be helpful for newcomers.
Melyse
Manama, Bahrain
New Mexico State University

ITA made my experience a breeze

Overall

I had a wonderful experience with ITA. They were the first company I looked into when I decided to pursue teaching, and after speaking with the first representative from the company, I didn't look elsewhere. The people I worked with made my life easy. They explained everything, gave me a ton of information, answered all of my questions promptly, and showed me real concern and attention. Once I started the course, I was impressed with the content and really appreciated the opportunity to learn from and communicate with other students going through the same experience.

I clicked the "request information" button on the ITA website on June 22, 2015. I was enrolled in the course by June 30 and I moved to Manama, Bahrain with a job lined up on Sept. 26, 2015. I've now been in Bahrain almost three months and have been incredibly happy with my experience so far, all thanks to ITA. I would recommend them to anyone.

Colleen
Taichung, Taiwan
Saint Bonaventure University

Job Placement After the Certification Course

Overall

I was astounded by how helpful the International TEFL Academy was with finding a job after I completed the course. Like all course applicants I was nervous about the type of support and assistance I would get with an on-line program and not an in-person class. After I completed the course I contacted the student services right away. They helped me to decide what country was best for me, and contact recruiters there. They also helped me to write a resume based on the requirements of the specific country I wanted to apply to. After my first year abroad, I started to search for a new job. I sent me resume to ITA student services again and they helped me edit and update it. They always promptly responded and provided much more information than I asked for. They were an amazing wealth of information, and so willing to do what they could to help. I owe where I am today to ITA!

Derek
Guangzhou, China
Lees-McRae College

Excellent TEFL program for anyone interested in ESL teaching!

Overall

When I decided to make a career switch, I wanted to find a reputable, but affordable program for earning a TEFL/TESOL certification. I found that International TEFL Academy was it. They have a friendly staff with a well-rounded course load and the hours provided for the course will satisfy most schools looking for an ESL teacher. They also provide assistance in looking for a new position. I fully recommend International TEFL Academy.

Krystle
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Wyoming

Chicago TEFL class, 2014

Overall

I decided to do the in-person TEFL/TESOL certification course with International TEFL Academy back in May. I had just finished my Master's degree and realized that I want to travel and see the world, that my degree in music and philosophy made that more than possible, and that I wanted to do the best that I could do when I was abroad teaching.

After weeks of research I e-mailed my TEFL advisor, Ian Davis, and began the process of applying to the program.

The timing couldn't have been better, I have never been more prepared mentally for a course of this nature: it was intense. To keep on track of everything I had to be extremely well organized and committed to the course! I had to keep reminding myself that if I really nailed this course, got the knowledge they were throwing at me planted into my skull, I could leave the country to teach somewhere and simultaneously enjoy the culture! Sure, you can get an easier TEFL certification elsewhere. And sure, you don't need to have any certification in some countries. But, by going through ITA's in person course I have gained the skills to teach, the comfort in front of a classroom, and the resources to feel prepared to teach abroad. This preparation means that, when I'm running around in Asia, South America, Europe, or wherever it is that I wind up, I will be able to go out and see the culture! I'll be able to meet up with new friends on weeknights and weekends, because I now have the skills to create effective lesson plans. I now have the skills to lead a classroom. I can now manage my time well enough to plan ahead for the week and be comfortable knowing that things will go well.

Obviously things won't be easy when I go abroad. But this in-depth, difficult, and enlightening course has definitely put me in a better place professionally and personally for when I go abroad!

If I could change one thing about this program I would have the practicum classes be more consistent. It was wonderful having ITA set up the practicum classes and have the students coming in, but they were voluntary students and you never really knew if you would have 3 or 10 people (or even 1!) to teach.

This made me more flexible and adaptable, sure, but sometimes I wished I could know exactly who would be in my class.
Lucy
Santiago, Chile
Indiana University- Bloomington

TEFL: Your Ticket Abroad

Overall

Understatement: TEFL changed my life. Becoming TEFL-certified not only opened the door to travel and live abroad, but also allowed me to be a stand-out candidate to countless employers. Upon arriving to Santiago, Chile, I had three interviews lined up. A week later I had three job offers on the table and I accredit much of that to the International TEFL Academy, where I took my 4-week in-class certification.

The International TEFL Academy prepared me by teaching the fundamentals of the English language and then showing me how to apply them in a classroom setting. Easily the most valuable experience came from the practicum in which we had the opportunity to teach ESL students at varied levels. You can read about something a million times over, but the true solidification of the knowledge comes from experience itself. TEFL provided the ground-work information as well as the perfect environment to put it to use; not to mention they gave constructive feedback after each class.

Our instructors were incredibly qualified and truly had our best interest and success at heart. The advisors were constantly eager to help us narrow down our destination and start our networking with possible schools and employers.

For anyone even remotely considering becoming certified and taking the plunge to move abroad, I cannot urge you enough. Teaching is rewarding, living in another country is culturally eye-opening, and traveling to new destinations in your spare time is just an incredible bonus. International TEFL Academy is a great and accredited institute to begin this new adventure.

In class, we would often just reiterate what we had read as homework the night before. I would've preferred more in-depth analysis and information on the theories and studies behind what we were reading, especially to make it more challenging/stimulating.
Sarah
Prague, Czech Republic
College of Saint Rose

Making A Change

Overall

Last year at this time my life seemed turned upside down.
Instead of my usual smile I was was full of tears and a frown.
I knew I needed to do something and make a big change.
That's when I did my research and contacted ITA.

I had been teaching for seven years in a second grade classroom,
but I wanted to do something different. I needed something new.
I was instantly hooked up with a fantastic adviser by the name of Jeff.
He wanted to know where I was interested in going and said he'd help with the rest.

He stuck to his work and helped me right up until the class began.
My smile was coming back and I was becoming a huge ITA fan.
When class began I felt like a kid in a candy shop.
I was looking forward to it and which of the 150 countries I'd make my first stop!

The possibilities were endless and the teacher of the class was great.
She had been all over the world teaching, had experience, and wanted us to relate!
She made us all become attentive in class and follow the schedule,
however understanding and wanting us to be successful.

She had weekly office hours and live webinars.
She wanted to know all her students both near and far.
Her feedback was clear and very thorough, which was nice.
The teacher was focused, driven, and gave awesome advice.

Of course there were times when I wondered if I was making the right choice.
I was leaving an established career said a tiny voice!
The voice was my doubt when I had a rough week of class and teaching.
It made me question if I had taken on to much and reminded me frequently.
I pushed this voice aside, I had to...
because I was insistent on teaching someplace new!

An 11 week class is as easy as one, two, and three!!!
That is, if you really want to go abroad, see the world, and teach.
The world is open for exploration and growth.
And let's face it ITA made me want to do both!

However the voice returned right before I got on the plane.
Asking me if I was certain of this massively big change?
Had I picked the right city, the right roommates, packed the right clothes?!?!
All I could do was laugh, shrug my shoulders, say we shall see, and who knows!!!!

I have now moved abroad and teach in an international school.
I get to see a new part of the world while still teaching, which is what I love to do!
Each day I wake up in the city of Prague.
Realizing my dream became a reality and I'm no longer dazed or in a fog.

I have met new people, am experiencing new things,
all while making a life choice to set new goals and follow my dreams!
ITA has even visited here, which was a huge extra bonus!
It made me feel important, special, and noticed.

There are many of us around the world that have worked with ITA.
And as you can see I have many positive things to say!
So open your minds at this amazing opportunity.
Learn from a company that will make you feel at home, just as they did me!

If there is one thing I would change about this program it would be the ability to have more interaction with the other students who were a part of my online class. I felt that the students didn't seem to want to do the extra webinars and gave simplistic answers to each weeks topics in the discussion forum. I think if the teacher also commented on these topics in the forum more participation would have occurred. The teacher was wonderful, as I pointed out, but I feel this could have enhanced the class and participation even more. I wanted to learn more about the other students and where they were thinking of teaching and what made them want to take the course.
Amy
Heredia, Costa Rica
University of California- Santa Cruz

Great TEFL course

Overall

I took the course in Barva, Costa Rica and it was excellent. The instructors were fantastic, and I felt it really prepared me as much as possible for teaching. We had the opportunity to do a lot of practice teaching with actual students, which was so helpful. The director of this school is incredible and the job placement assistance was invaluable. Also the staff at International TEFL were so helpful, easy to communicate with, and knowledgeable.

The textbook was not very helpful.
Nanci
Albuquerque, NM

Great schooling. I feel prepared!

Overall

I just finished the part-time, 11-week course. It was tougher than I thought it would be which is why it was great. I felt it really prepared me for what is to come. I likely spent an average of 15 hours a week on my weekly reading & tasks. Some weeks were easier than others, but every week offered enough challenge. The Practicum is a very important aspect as this is where you get to put it all into practice if you're lucky enough to teach and not just watch, as I was. It will also give you taste for it -- do you like teaching or not? Kids or adults? One-on-one or groups? I would recommend this program (and have!) to anyone interested in TEFL training.

I haven't yet worked with the job guidance folks so I can't comment on that but I am hoping there is bona Fidel assistance. I don't have a degree and I feel like I might be very limited with my options when choosing where to go.
Reyna
Daejeon, South Korea
University of Central Arkansas

ITA Review

Overall

First of all, I have to say that I am so glad that I chose to get TEFL Certified through the ITA! I took the 11 week online course during my last semester of college. It was a challenge to stack that much more homework into my schedule every week, but it was definitely doable! From the very start of contacting ITA with interest in the program, I received personalized feedback and attention from my advisor through email. Whenever I had a question or concern, my advisor was always very quick to respond. Once I started the course, my professor was outstanding in helping me whenever I had a question or was confused about the coursework. The way the online classes are set up is very user friendly and easy to navigate, making it simple to get on and get the coursework done every week. I spent about 10 hours per week completing the units and homework. After I competed the online course, I did my required 20 practicum hours at three different locations near where I lived at the time. Each place I went to observe and student teach was a wonderful experience. The online ITA course really did a great job preparing me to teach in a real classroom. Another wonderful thing about ITA, even after you move abroad, they don't forget you! They have really great Facebook pages for the ITA alumni that connect you to other alumni that are teaching in the same country as you, making it where it's really easy to make new friends in your new country who are doing the same thing you are! Lastly, the ITA staff is incredible at helping with your job search and making your résumé and they are always ready to help you out!

The only thing I would change would be to make more space in the online webinars! They only allow a small group of people in each one and it seemed like they were always full by the time I opened the email about them. The webinars are available to listen to after they are over, but if you want to be involved in them, you have to act extremely fast to save your spot!
David
New York, NY

No Regrets

Overall

I was able to sharpen my English skills thanks to "International TEFL Academy" I had gained the interest of many schools because I had a certification, and that led to many open doors when I went to teach in Peru.

The way I would change this program would have to be through modifying the technology for example improve the website.
thehammondatlas
Trento, Italy

Great program, but wish I chose one with job placement

Overall

The TEFL Academy staff is friendly and their admissions officer did a great job of roping me into the program--I don't mean that in a backhanded way. I don't think if I had such a good experience talking with Ian, my admissions counselor, about how and why teaching abroad was for me, and the right time is now!-I never would have left my job and changed my life for the better.

I also really enjoyed the coursework--the material, pace and convenience. I worked full time while taking the online course and it was the most economical and practical way for me to complete my certification. My professor was engaging and I enjoyed her audio lectures, she was always very responsive and gave thorough feedback on my work.

The main area where the program is lacking is, in my view, job assistance. TEFL Academy is up front about their policy--they do not place you in a job, but I wish I had chose a program that did--it would be worth it for the money you pay. Essentially, they are turning out certifications but 99% of the job search process is up to you. The best way to use this program is to identify a recruiter you want to align with after you have completed your certification and then complete an online course with TEFL Academy. When it came to finding a job in Europe they gave me some delayed feedback and essentially told me it's sink or swim: best bet is to fly to Europe and hope you can get a job through some dogged hunting. Read: Hope your savings account is up to the challenge.

In my own experience and in the experience of other TEFL teacher hopefuls I have talked to, this is unrealistic. It is extremely difficult and costly to get a job this way. If your goal is to teach in Europe, I strongly recommend going through a company that places you in a position. I just noticed in the TEFL newsletter that they have a new policy and alignment with language schools in Europe, so maybe things are changing for the better.

Overall I do not regret the program I chose. I am excited about the alumni network and getting to know others who have completed the program and are out in the world. TEFL Academy's strength is their staff's willingness to help, although sometimes their resources to do so are not idealistic. I have nothing but positive things to say about the online curriculum and professors as well.

Thanks for the review:

Several items which you addressed but didn’t quite accept well.

1) Yes jobs are jobs that require a real interview, not placements, we are very clear about this. Every country is completely different. Some countries you get a job in advance, work visas, flights, the red carpet is rolled out. Many countries it’s a job where you have to go during the interview season, shake the hands of the employers, do a demo teaching and ask for the job that starts next week. Everyone chooses their comfort level.

2) Choosing a recruiter for Europe: Schools don’t use recruiters in Europe as they do in Asia. There are government programs that are recommended and listed in all the job search guidance resources which are free to apply to, in advance to secure a job (such as in Spain), though most people chose not to do this. Americans teach in Spain typically on a tourist visa and do so illegally or they obtain a student visa and are allowed to work legally. There are correct hiring seasons where the job are open for new teachers. Everything is explained in detail on our website and by our admission staff prior to registering for a TEFL class.

Each of our graduates make their decision on what is best for them and we offer the advice, resources, live support and guidance to make it happen. Some people choose to pay a 3rd party company thousands of dollars to do something for you that you can learn to do for free. All students are welcome to pay a company a lot extra but for 99% of our students they would rather be able to afford to move abroad and learn a valuable job search skill than pay that money for someone to do it for them. We are a TEFL training school providing great training and assistance to find jobs, this is the formula that works for most people. We also provide our graduates with program information of providers who charge a fee and also with government programs (such as the Spanish Ministry program) which takes in teachers once a year (with a 7-9 month advance application process).

3) The comment on “Sink or Swim”: Our policy is to return all calls or emails within 24 hours to our alumni which a full department staff is proud to do well. Nobody every says or implies “sink or swim”, It can be nerve racking for some students to go abroad and get a job but that’s just the way most of the world works, we can’t change the rules just show you how to navigate it and help take away some of the anxiety.

Everything listed in all our materials, website and conversations with our admission advisor staff is realistic and practical. We have to give the good news and bad news, not just tell people what they way to hear. As a company training well over 1,500 students a year we know how things work and convey it directly to our students. There is nothing unrealistic about the information and advice given, it can sometime sometimes difficult to want to follow the processes of certain countries so we advise to pick another country that fits your comfort level.

We are glad you are seeing our alumni newsletters we send out every few weeks. We have always had resources for our alumni which are so numerous many do not take full advantage of them. We are continually working to promote all these resources and staff assistance but need everyone to be proactive and use them as designed.

We welcome continued feedback and hope to assist you in your next country and adventure abroad.

International TEFL Academy is fanatical about two things:
1) Providing the highest quality TEFL teacher training.
2) Ensuring our graduates find great English teaching jobs and enjoy a wonderful experience abroad.

All of our employees have worked and traveled abroad extensively, we "get it," and we are passionate about enabling you to experience a great international adventure as well.

Based in Chicago IL, USA, ITA is a worldwide leader in TEFL certification for teaching English abroad offering accredited TEFL classes in 25 locations worldwide and state-of-the-art online classes part time. We certify 3,500 people a year to teach English overseas and our graduates teach professionally in 80 countries. In addition to earning an accredited qualification recognized worldwide, all of our students receive lifetime job search guidance and access to a full array of alumni services and networking opportunities. ITA also enjoys an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.