Teach & Learn in Spain, Instituto Franklin-UAH

The Teach & Learn in Spain Program was established to provide English speakers the opportunity to earn a master’s degree while living in Spain. Our program allows students the flexibility to study, teach, and travel without breaking the bank. This innovative program grants students a hands-on experience in the classroom, earn a master’s degree, and receive a monthly stipend and health insurance. This is a yearlong accredited (60ECTS credits) academic program from the University of Alcala. We even offer a tuition remission program, in which the university funds your studies and you do not have to pay tuition!
The cost of the program is: €0 for Option A (tuition remission), €3.800 for Option B* and €4.200 for Option C. All students will receive health insurance.
Masters offered: MA in Learning and Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language; MA in International Education; MA in Teaching; MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education; MA in Special Education.

• 1 year program with blended Instruction: Online and Onsite
  • Hands on teaching experience at a school in the region of Madrid
  • Monthly stipend for assistanship and free health insurance
  • Quality education at an affordable price
  • In the heart of the city of Miguel de Cervantes (Don Quijote)

Hi Caroline! Great question. For the Teach & Learn in Spain Program, we recommend that students live near the school where they will be completing their assistantship. Many students live in Madrid capital or in Alcalá, it's based on their person preference. Some people like the busy city life and others prefer university cities like Alcalá. The great part of this program is that you will be in the...
Hi, yes we may accept candidates who reside in Asia, but we require native English speakers in the program. Please email us at [email protected] and we scheduole a meeting to chat :)

• Benefits 7.9
  • Facilities 8.1
Steven

The Most Authentic Way to Experience Spain

The Teach & Learn program is an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to expand his or her perspective on what it is like to live in a foreign country. Many students have the opportunity to study abroad in a foreign country and tend to return to their home country with the cliched phrase "life-changing experience" on the tips of their tongues. The T&L program allows for a deeper and arguably more "life-changing" experience. I have come to realize that one doesn't really understand what it is like to live in another country until one works in that country. The process of gather paperwork for the visa, finding a place to live, worrying about finances, feeling stressed at times, and meeting Spaniards is all part of what makes the program so transformative.

Part of what makes this experience possible is the support of the Instituto Franklin staff. One feels at home here. Staff work to ensure that your time in Spain is as good as it can possibly be and that you feel supported. Any issue that I ever had was either resolved proactively or taken care of with a simple meeting with Instituto Franklin staff.

Lillian

Master In Teaching at Instituto Franklin-UAH

The Master in Teaching program at Instituto Franklin-UAH provided practical and theoretical knowledge for teaching in an ESL classroom. The classes were insightful, and the professors were very knowledgable in their fields of bilingual and international education. I especially enjoyed learning about comparative education systems. Developing communicative lessons for the classroom was another highlight of this program. The feedback from the professors and my classmates helped me to develop and improve my teaching skills. The Master in Teaching program helped me to reach my professional goals once back in the United States. This experience impressed employers, and it helped me to land my dream career of working with adult English Language Learners in Chicago.

The process of obtaining the official paperwork after graduation was a bit tedious. I would recommend starting the paperwork as soon as it is available for request. The faculty is helpful in clarifying what must be done to obtain the paperwork, though.
Kathy

Masters in Teaching

I completed my masters in Teaching in Institute De Franklin, in June 2016. I really enjoyed my time in Spain and was placed in a secondary bilingual school along side completing my masters. It was a challenge and I met some amazing people on the course. The lecturers were very helpful and encouraging. I continued to work another year in the school in IES Complutense as a teaching assistant. I returned to Ireland to work for 6 months and now I am starting work in Naples Italy in a school.
The masters was challenging at times but I found myself enjoying and rising to the challenge. We were given the tools to help us teach. We received great support from the staff of the university and have made some wonderful friends who also completed the course. I highley recommend doing this Masters in Teaching and loved my time in Spain.

I have not received my transcript but I believe its very complicated to do this. This should be part of our graduation and its expensive and complicated to complete.
Sam

Great Experience

In general I had a great experience. The program itself was well set up and the staff was very helpful. I found that most of my classes were applicable to the things I was teaching at my school. I learned a great deal, and all of my classes helped me to better serve my students in the Spanish education system. Although there was a lot of work to be done, I feel that the amount of schoolwork/ homework was compatible with the amount of hours I had to work during the week. It was a lot of work but definitely doable.
Something I loved was, the trouble free way that they go about helping you obtain your short-term visa. The Spanish bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate and their help with this process made things much easier.
As an alumna I keep in touch with the Instituto Franklin and find that it is a great networking tool.
Overall, the program served me well, I enjoyed my time there and I would definitely recommend this program for anyone who is passionate about the education system and who would like to learn about a different education system while getting hands-on experience.

Beri

Great Place to Get Your Masters and Stay Another Year in Spain!

I graduated class of 2017 and got my degree in Bilingual Education. There is a lot of support from staff members and they are very helpful. Although the classes are helpful and give you insight on how to prepare, plan, and manage classes, it is 5 hours every Friday. Which can be exhausting after working a four hour day and then later commuting to Alcala. Luckily many of the teachers are flexible and understanding to our situation and are always willing to help. This program can open up many opportunities for ESL teaching, at the moment I'm teaching and working in Vietnam because of it. There are also guidelines to getting the degree accredited in the states. I would recommend this program and especially to people who want to stay another year in Madrid and further their education.

Finding ways to get the degree automatically accredited in the states instead of going through a third party.
Julianne

Masters of Bilingual Education

I went to Alcala University to get a Masters of Bilingual and Multicultural Education in 2016/2017. I had a positive experience, where the tuition (in comparison with the US) was very low, and the benefits were high. The program coordinators go out of their way to help you and you study with the same group of people for every class so you become quite close. This particular masters that I studied is really aiming towards teaching ESL. Be ready to work a full time schedule in a school and take classes on Friday for 5 hours, as well as completing homework. As this is a masters overseas, make sure that the accreditation is valid in your home state. If you are planning to do a Phd after completing this masters, make sure to research that this masters will help you on your road there, as this is a one year masters called a masters propio in Spain. I moved to Vietnam after completing this Masters and with a recommendation from my program coordinator, I was hired in an International School here (I am also a certified teacher in the States). I highly recommend this program if you are interested in a career in Education.

Claire

Depends on What You're Looking for...

Some of the instructors we had were excellent. I was really academically challenged in several of my classes, and intrigued with the material. I have used and will continue to use a lot of what I learned in some of my classes. Although I would have rather had a separate year for a teaching practicum, doing the masters and teaching concurrently assured that I could directly apply what I learned in the program into the classrooms I was working it.

I knew I was going to be busy, but I truly had no idea what I was getting myself into. This program necessitates constant time management, and I was ALWAYS working, planning, or studying. This is definitely not the program for you if you're looking to spend a lot of time traveling throughout the duration of the program, and it's a very experience from a study abroad.

That being said, I am glad I pushed myself through the program. I grew as a student and also as an educator. I continue to stay in touch with many of my classmates, who were perhaps the best resource I had during the program.

This program was laughably understaffed. I'm glad to see it growing, but they need to make sure they are expanding with enough support and resources for students.
Sam

Great Experience

I had a great experience with the Teach and Learn program. A majority of the classes were useful and very applicable to my teaching experience. I was able to learn a great deal about the Spanish education system. I also made great friendships from my cohort. Learning about this system helped me with my teaching experience in Spain. I felt that the workload from the classes was doable and compatible with the amount of teaching. It wasn't easy, but it was doable.
I know from others in my cohort that each experience is different. That's something that should be expected since there are so many different schools who are partnered with the program.
Overall my experience was a positive one, and I highly recommend the Teach and Learn program.

I think official academic advisors with periodic mandatory meetings would be beneficial for the students in the teach and learn program. I think I could have benefited more and had better direction for my end of year project if I had more meetings with my academic advisor.
Nicole

MA Bilingual Education

I had worked at a bilingual school for two years prior to doing the masters program at Instituto Franklin. Even so, I learned a lot about different practices to use at different age groups as well as plenty of practical advice from the professors. While I definitely enjoyed some classes more than others, all had a lot to offer and really solidified my love of teaching. The staff is really supportive and the professors are all very knowledgeable in their fields. The experience will vary on what you make of it, but I personally really enjoyed it.

Joe

Great Value. Tremendous Return on Investment.

The best part about the Masters programs is that the Universidad de Acalá - Instituto Franklin Teach and Learn program continues to evolve and change based on feedback from students. The most notable change since I was there in 2014-2015 is the option to pay tuition and work for the Spanish Ministry of Education, if you decide to not teach in the concertados (charter schools). If you're already in the teaching assistants program and you'd like to stay at your current school, you now have that option.

You'll enjoy a small small classroom setting. In the Teaching and Learning Spanish Masters that I did, we were 18 students. In the other Masters, I believe that they had approximately 25 students. My fellow classmates and colleagues from the practicum school from the Masters are some of my best friends and you'll walk away with unforgettable memories.

The classes were taught intensively with 5 hour classes on Fridays, which can be a bit hard after a long week of teaching, but I enjoyed all my classes and the professors were AMAZING and well qualified. The teachers want to learn your name and connect with you. They were really approachable and friendly yet professional.

Almost all the teachers have PhDs and the ones that don't have an outstanding body of academic and professional work. Some might even still be working on their PhDs, but they may work full-time for the university and teach classes through Instituto Franklin or work with other institutions. For instance, a teacher may teach at La Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (Spain's longest standing, state-sponsored language school) or write language education books for the Universidad de Salamanca--one of Spain's most prestigious institutions in publishing academic workbooks.

They keep in contact with alumni and they value our feedback. I met with Iulia and Carlos over the summer when I was thinking about transitioning careers, and they sat down with me to give me some ideas and feedback. I don't know that I would have confidently taken the steps to transition and to go from teaching to international education if it wasn't for their help.

In terms of post-grad value, I've been able to negotiate pay increases in three separate job interviews in both teaching and international education. In those interviews, the Masters was a huge selling point and I can comfortably say that it legitimized my level of Spanish and my time abroad.

I doubt that you'll find a more comprehensive Masters that allows you to work and study without going $20,000 dollars or more in debt.

*Please note that I put 10 for housing, but you'll have to find your own housing since schools are located in the autonomous community of Madrid. I had to mark it when I filled out the survey.

In the '14-'15 year, everyone had to teach through the concertados (charter schools), but they opened up more options to be able to teach through the Spanish Ministry of Education. When I graduated, the alumni network wasn't as strong as it is now and it continues to grow and expand. Keep up the great work!
Alexi

Practice-based learning Masters program

Honestly, when I first decided to attend UAH through the Instituto Franklin Teach & Learn program, I wasn't sure what to expect. But since I knew I wanted to work in the field of International Education, I thought it would be a very valuable experience to complete my degree abroad. I'm so happy that I made this decision and really cannot say enough positive things about the Teach & Learn program.
Instituto Franklin is constantly evaluating best practices and theories of bilingual education to make their curricula as relevant to today's modern teaching practices as possible. Furthermore, the investigations and assignments in the courses encourage cross-cultural perspectives and force students to explore how their own backgrounds inform their experiences as teachers and professionals.
In addition to all of this, the Masters program is designed in a theory-to-practice model, so all of the exploration and learning that takes place inside the Teach & Learn classroom is then put into practice and developed on by each students' personal experience in their practicum, in the Spanish classroom, and in Madrid.
Participating in this program was of great value to me both personally and professionally. As a graduate from the MA in International Education Teach & Learn program, I felt very equipped to enter the field and begin my career, given all of the practical experience that I gained as a part of this program.
I highly recommend the Instituto Franklin Teach & Learn program!

Amy

Teach and Learn Program

I attended the Teach and Learn program through the Universidad de Alcala- Instituto Franklin from 2012-2013 and had a very positive experience! I had just graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX with a BA in International Studies and Political Science and knew that I wanted to live abroad and gain more insight into education systems around the world. The Teach and Learn program was perfect because I could earn money through my role as a language assistant while I pursued a Master's in International Education. The masters classes themselves aren't the most challenging, but the experience of moving to a new country, taking bilingual master's classes, learning to manage a classroom, and everything that comes with those experiences make the program incredibly valuable and formative. Students develop transferable skills related to independence, flexibility, creativity, adaptability, persistence, determination, and navigation that can be applied to a multitude of career paths. Students graduate with first-hand experience in global education systems, the Spanish language, classroom instruction, and curriculum design. I am now the Director of Education and a non-profit organization in Dallas, Texas and this degree prepared me to excel in my career today. I would highly recommend the Teach and Learn program to anyone who is seeking transferable skills, an opportunity to develop their Spanish, and pursue a career related to global education!

Students could receive more training on classroom management and lesson planning early in the program to apply to their time teaching in Spanish classrooms. As someone who had never taught before, it was definitely a challenge to start to school year without much guidance on expectations and discipline in the classroom.
Erin

MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education and MA in International Education

I studied abroad at Instituto Franklin for a semester, I did the MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education last year and I'm doing a MA in International Education this year. I always felt safe in Alcalá and have always had a lot of support from the staff. While some classes are better than others and there can be some hiccups along the way with documents (welcome to Spain..) I still feel that I have learned a lot through my experience in the program and at the schools I have worked at. Option A (no tuition and private insurance) can be a lot more work for less money in the concertado/private schools. Option B (tuition and public health insurance) is a good option if you can do it because you make more money during the months and have more free time. Option C is new for next year so I have no opinion on this yet. Some schools can be hard to acclimate to and can take advantage while others are absolutely great to work at. No matter what, you will have to adapt and adjust. I think as long as you are flexible and willing to put in the work (it is a MA program) then you will enjoy this program. Any issues that I or other students may have had with the program I feel are completely outweighed by the fact that we are paying little to no tuition in comparison to the US and I feel like I can count on the staff in the office for anything, whether it be a question, a problem or for further opportunities after the program. I've talked to many alumni that have received recommendations from the staff and gotten amazing jobs after this program. I think going through this program is a lot about what you make of it. The program can be a lot of work at times with classes, work, possible private lessons and the thesis, but it is definitely doable (I'm doing it twice) and is a huge opportunity for growth. I feel that I've grown as a person, student and teacher and definitely have a completely different outlook on the world, personal relationships, work, culture and language since coming to this program.

About Instituto Franklin-UAH

Instituto Franklin- Universidad de Alcalá is the only University Institute for Research on North America in Spain. Founded in 1987, Instituto Franklin-UAH provides postgraduate research, scholarships and grants, dissemination of publications,...