By Teaching House   Reviews (32)   93% Rating

CELTA Course with Teaching House: Locations Throughout the Globe!

By Teaching House   Reviews (32)   93% Rating

Globally recognized and accredited by the University of Cambridge, the CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is a highly regarded TEFL program among employers across the globe. Offered at several Teaching House locations worldwide, the CELTA course offers an intense and detailed curriculum which is taught and overseen by experienced teacher trainers who will help you learn the most effective teaching methods. You will learn by teaching real non-native speakers and implementing the skills taught to you into your lesson plans. Considered a rigorous yet highly rewarding program, the CELTA course will prepare you for a successful English language teaching career.

North America › United States of America › Washington D.C.
Teaching Practicum
Job Placement
Hotel
Not Included
1500.00

Fairly common. The cool thing about this program too is that it'll put you in touch with some private language institutes in NYC / Boston / wherever you're studying. I'd recommend choosing a class in...
There are so many positions out there to teach English to businesses/ business professionals. I have taught several classes myself- in fact they were always the best classes to teach! One thing to kee...
We provide you with a pre-course preparation task with an answer key that you can complete at your own speed. We also provide a list of recommended reading. If you are worried about your grammar knowl...
CELTA Course with Teaching House: Locations Throughout the Globe!

Rating Values

London
State University of New York- Oneonta

Teaching House London CELTA Course

Overall 9

I would highly recommend doing your CELTA course at Teaching House London. It was an amazing experience for me and I learned/grew a lot in just 4 weeks. The staff are all very friendly and helpful while also providing you with feedback that really pushes you. The course itself is a lot of work but you teach every other day and it is awesome to have that much physical practice before you set off into the world.

There were 16 people in my class and we all became like family by the end. It was very cool to meet so many people from all over the world and explore London together during the course. We were also a source of support for each other and another wealth of knowledge as some of us were experienced teachers and others were not but had other useful skills to contribute.

If you are considering CELTA as a possible career choice then Teaching House London is exactly where you want to be!

More emphasis/help with job searching

Behat
london

CELTA @ London House

Overall 10

Doing the Celta at Oxford House College in Central London was an incredible experience for me. The convenient location added to the incredible experience. I felt excited to go there everyday. The staff were amazing and supportive, in every way. My teachers were Lizzy and Bobby who were incredible, the other teachers were also fantastic. Sharing advice and offering support. Everyone was supportive in every way.

The course was was a game changer for me, CELTA has improved my teaching in so many ways, the practical hands on experience as well as the direct feedback was like going to the gym everyday. Developing and training muscles I thought I never had. It was an intensive month but i came out feeling like I had achieved something really worthwhile and felt totally empowered by the knowledge and formula I have acquired.

I cannot recommend CELTA @ Oxford House College enough. Life changing experience.

Improving the technology for teaching with would make the course perfect.

Stephen
Bethesda, Md

Excellent Experience

Overall 10

I recently completed the CELTA course. Prior to enrolling in the course I had already taught ESL to adults for several years, as a volunteer co-teaching a three hour class once a week. When I started CELTA training I compared myself to being a self-taught skier. I can ski black-diamond trails, but it isn't pretty. Similarly, while I was an experienced teacher, it became apparent to me as I began the training that I had much to learn that would improve my effectiveness as a teacher. CELTA taught me how to actually be a student-centered teacher and how to plan lessons effectively.

The CELTA trainers were first-rate and the materials were spot on.

PS. Note re Program Length. I took the extensive (part-time) version of the course, which was 9 weeks long. I think it is equivalent to a one-month full time course.

I thought it was great just as it was.

Ben
London, United Kingdom

CELTA - Teaching House @ Oxfordhousecollege London

Overall 9

I did my CELTA in 2006 and I've been teaching ever since. The course was very intense but the hard work is fine when you can see the improvement and you feel you are getting a lot out of it. The tutors were amazing - very experienced and great examples to us. I particularly enjoyed the learner case study assignment and the unknown language immersion - very thought provoking. I have since done my DELTA at the same place and I would really recommend both courses to anyone thinking about going abroad to teach.

Rodrigo
Homestead
Miami Dade College

OHC MIAMI/TEACHING HOUSE

Overall 10

I had a great time during this course, although it was very challenging! To be honest, the teachers were fantastic and the course was very thorough, but my only concern was the constant printer malfunctions in the lobby. Many of us would rely on this printer for lesson plans, language analysis sheets, and other important papers. Many times I barely managed to print in time for a lesson due to the printer randomly going offline or other malfunctions and it was very stressful. Otherwise, everything else in the course was great.

New printers.

Jeheremy
Caracas, Venezuela
University of Central Florida

CELTA Boot Camp

Overall 10

I wish I would have had a strategy to grab this bull by his horn. It would have probably felt less overwhelming if I would've created a study itinerary to balance the amount of time and should spend on TPs and Assignments. And also, to not try to embellish and develop each stage until I had the structure and aims complete clear and written out, and only if I had extra time, try to make in more interesting and fun then.

I really learned many lessons in this class. I went through hell and heaven; moments of enlightenment and moments of darkness. I self-doubted my capabilities to teach, my motivations, my intentions, everything, but at the end I pulled through thanks to the support and the faith my trainers deposited in me. I feel I would've liked to have more TPs to get better and better at this. The awesome thing is that I have a TESOL job now where I'm starting to put all these methods in practice, and I continue to see and enjoy how effective they are.

So, thank you CELTA for being like a "boot camp" to me. I really feel I've grown a lot, and I'm ready to continue growing on this path you've set, and up the standards I've been expected to reach. The bar has been set hight, and I'm ready to keep jumping to grab it by the horns, and maybe just raise it some more for myself. I don't want to ever stop growing as a TESOL ;).

I feel that it was great that we didn't have that much technological devices to teach in class, but definitely we need to have more than one printer. The printer at the center was not very functional and kept giving us trouble. When we're so dependent on making photocopies and printing, we cannot afford to have a "ok" photocopier/printer.

Have a place for students to be able to sit quietly 24/7 and have resources available would help students to truly focus and not have to deal with paying su much in parking, having to go home where most likely they can't focus, and miss opportunities to collaborate more with other students.

Those two things would make a world of a difference. Thank you for reading.

Matthew
Silver Spring
New York University

CELTA course review

Overall 10

The CELTA course taught me a good deal of things that seem obvious in hindsight, but about which I really knew very little. I've even found myself using certain techniques (ICQ's and CCQ's, for example) with friends and family when we are doing an activity together. I also really appreciate that we were able to teach an actual class of English learners so that we could put into practice the methods we were learning as we went along; this also gave us a great opportunity to see where we needed work, what we were doing well in, etc.

The one improvement that I would suggest would be to space out the writing assignments differently, so that a teacher doesn't have to turn in a written assignment on the same day that he/she has to teach.

Lauren
Arlington, MA

CELTA Course in Boston Jul/Aug 2016

Overall 9

It was a very rigorous course but I learned more and, more importantly, remembered more from the CELTA classes than from any teacher training classes I've taken in the past. It's amazing that you can be so confused by the amount of information that's being directed at you and yet come away remembering so much of it. From my own experiences being a student on the course and from classes that dealt with the topic, I'm now much more sensitive to the feelings and struggles of English learners, and more aware of gender, ethnic, and religious issues that can consciously or unconsciously play a part in teaching English. No funny stories come to mind, I'm afraid, but certainly one of the best aspects of the course was the collegiate atmosphere among the participants.

Probably not likely given the time constraints, but It would be nice to have more time in which to write the papers. I would have liked to have done a better job on them but had too many other things to juggle. Also, I think there should be more acknowledgment of different ways of teaching. Given that different styles of teaching have had their day and been replaced by other styles, I couldn't always accept the implication that there was only one right way to teach. Statements like "This is what we think is the best approach," or "here's how we like to do things nowadays," would have alleviated the sometimes messianic tone of the teaching.

Behzad
Tehran, Iran

CELTA

Overall 9

Besides the knowledge and highly professional performance of the trainers, the team work encouragement and support at CELTA program were simply amazing! It was a really difficult course for me as I have been out of school for almost 15 years but I really enjoyed every single moment of both the trainers' lessons and also the team work. Trainers' lessons were both fun and extremely productive.
I also would like to take a minute to thank my trainers, especially Micky Lammond who is an amazing teacher and wonderful person. Besides his great command of the job, his encouragements along the way helped me a lot.

I think resource and materials at TeachingHouse CELTA program have some room for improvement. The library had only few options to offer and the logistics, i.e, computers and printers, could be a little more accommodating. For instance, the printers were not connected to the computers. Apparently they each belonged to different providers. Also, just as a comment, that particular area on Market St. was not necessarily the most suitable place for the class location. Sometimes it was hard to feel safe going to and from school. I have heard that San Francisco has safer places.

Yassin

Do not fear, CELTA Teaching House Boston is here.

Overall 10

The 4 Week CELTA course at Teaching House Boston is intensive and at times you will have to remind yourself that it is only 4 weeks. After it is over, you would have to remind yourself it is over and to stop thinking about your lesson plans! It was an amazing experience at Teaching House Boston. You will receive the most qualified tutors and friendliest staff. I am a teacher with very little experience teaching in a classroom. I am leaving with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to begin my teaching career. Job opportunities will be presented through the course and some trainees including myself have gotten jobs through them. The tutors are very concerned with your success. When the course felt like it is was falling apart for me, I got the support and encouragement I greatly needed from my CELTA tutor.
In addition, your tutors encourage you to support your peers and work together!
By the end of your journey, your peers will be your family.
If you already have a lot of experience in teaching. I guarantee the tutors at THBoston will benefit you.
In all, I highly recommend the CELTA course at Teaching House Boston whether you are new to teaching or already have tons of experience.
You will be making one of the best decisions in your teaching career.

Kathryn
Worcester
Emerson College

Teaching House Boston

Overall 9

I did my CELTA course at Teaching House Boston and was overall extremely satisfied with my experience. We had three different tutors on the course, all of whom were so helpful and knowledgeable. It was so useful to have their different perspectives and experiences to draw from. The course was very fast-paced and intense, but in no way unmanageable. I thought the feedback from the instructors on my assignments and teaching practices was very helpful and they always gave me concrete things to work on for the future. I felt as though the tutors were invested in my learning and truly wanted me to do well, and although at times the feedback was critical, it was never harsh. Overall, I loved doing my CELTA at Teaching House Boston and would unequivocally recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Julian
Cambridge

Best investment I ever made!

Overall 10

Taking the CELTA was the best investment I ever made towards advancing my teaching career. The practical knowledge, hands-on activities and in-depth feedback I gained from the course are invaluable. Unlike other courses in which you often just listen to someone lecture about how to teach English, with the CELTA you start teaching within the first couple days, and then almost everyday thereafter FOR A MONTH. It's can be incredibly challenging at times, but I believe it is truly the best way to prepare people to become (better) teachers. Teaching House Boston provided us with an incredibly gifted staff, clean facilities and lots of support throughout our program. I was really impressed by their depth of knowledge and overall concern for the trainees. I didn't feel like a number; just another person taking a course. Rather, our trainers really showed a genuine desire to see us succeed. I think the in-depth feedback we received from our trainers after every lesson was one of the most valuable take-aways from the course. They really honed in on the details of our performance, highlighting both our strengths and our weaknesses. I am so grateful for having the opportunity to take this course with the fantastic staff of TH Boston and recommend everyone else serious about advancing their teaching career to do the same.

Trainers should communicate better with each other about how standard teaching practices are taught so as not to confuse the trainees. Myself and many of my co-trainees found ourselves at a loss at times when, after completing 1-2 weeks with one trainer learning how to drill, model and instruct in one way, found ourselves being criticized for implementing things we learned from the other trainer(s). I think the confusion arose because there was very little differentiation made between was is regarded as standard teaching practice and the personal teaching styles of the trainers. Because of this we received mixed and at times conflicting information from different trainers which caused confusion and anxiety over what was actually expected of us.

Lindsey

Tougher than expected, but well worth it.

Overall 8

Having heard from many others how difficult this course was, I thought I had a good idea of what to expect going into it, but boy, was I wrong! It was very trying, especially weeks two and three, and there were times where many of us felt like we were about to break, but we made it. Honestly though, it was a shock for many of us when it was finished, we couldn't believe it was all over. The knowledge that we gained, and the friendships and connections that we made was well worth it!

Kaad
Brooklyn

Go hard or go home

Overall 8

This course is tough, whether it taken in a month or three. The workload is intense and especially for those who have never taught, this type of work is very different from typical essays or group presentations from college. This course forces you to think about language and its application in a completely different way and I have truly benefitted from it. Now I feel I can confidently go out into the world and teach.

Brian
Long Beach, California

Stressful but worth it

Overall 9

I didn't believe the CELTA would be as stressful as everyone said it was. Let me assure you, it is TOUGH!

At least three people, including me, were on the verge of quitting at one point. Yeah, that's right: We considered giving up our $2,800 investment due to the stress.

But it's worth it.

You go into the CELTA knowing little but come out with 9 teaching practices and confidence.

The camaraderie developed among fellow trainees was great, as well.

The printers also don't always work.

That said, the tutors treated me really well. They know their stuff and helped me out a lot. (Be sure to get to class early so you can ask lots of questions. That helped A LOT.)

The CELTA course is tough, but it gave me what I needed.

Rachana

Great class

Overall 8

I really enjoyed this class (looking back on it); there were definitely some stressful moments but our tutors and fellow classmates were really supportive and encouraging. The students were fun too; I enjoyed meeting so many people from all walks of life and from around the globe. Washington D.C. in particular is a great place to be, and I'm glad this course is offered there. I'd love to return someday!

Theresa
Seattle, WA

Best Decision I Ever Made - And A Better Program Than My MA!

Overall 10

CELTA was the hardest, most difficult, most stressful, most exhausting four weeks of my entire life. I had an emotional breakdown in week three, probably got about four hours of sleep total in week two, and legitimately almost upchucked before my first teaching practice. BUT, even with all of that, CELTA was hands down the best decision I have ever made in my ENTIRE life. Teaching House was absolutely phenomenal and I would 150% would do it all over again if I had to.

The two trainers of my course were an absolute godsend. Shannon Felt (the Teaching House general manager), specifically, was a marvel. She was supportive, encouraging, hilarious, engaging, enthusiastic, and genuinely passionate about what she was doing. It was obvious that she loved her job and that she loved teaching English. Because of her energy, I (and many of the other teachers-in-training on the course) felt all the more energized about what we were there to learn and do.

The resources provided by Teaching House were top notch and I always felt that I had everything I could possibly need at my disposal. I felt supported, encouraged, and pushed into being the best teacher I could possibly be.

Even better, the students at Teaching House (the ones you, as a teacher-in-training, teach) were amazing. The two groups (upper-intermediate and pre-intermediate) were diverse, helpful, and wanted to learn English just as badly as you wanted to help them learn it.

In the end, I left Teaching House with a CELTA, some truly fantastic friendships, and feeling of confidence that I could and would be able to do something with the certificate I'd earned. That confidence is a feeling I hadn't gained from either my BA or MA and one I will value forever. And, perhaps most importantly, a confidence and a certificate that helped me land a job at Kaplan International just two weeks after graduating from CELTA (without any pre-CELTA teaching experience under my belt).

CELTA will kick your butt and make you work harder than you ever have in your entire life. But if you can buckle down, trudge through, and remember that teaching is kind of freaking awesome then I know you'll come out the other side loving the experience just as much as I did.

Doug
Chicago
Columbia College Chicago

Teaching House Chicago

Overall 8

My experience with the part-time 10-week course at Teaching House Chicago was intense. I've encountered "you are set up to fail" from systems and the people that administer them before, but never in my experiences had it been quite so true. My personal schedule was a bit tight, so it was easy for me to fall behind in the early stages of the course. It took a good month-long stretch of fighting and clawing to get back in shape. Luckily the TH center was well-stocked with reference materials and excellent educators to help me straighten myself out.

The Saturday inputs were serious business. Every week a lot of new information is disseminated, with very little time for review. As we were going through these inputs, it all made perfect sense. Once you are planning your lesson at home by yourself, however, that illusion can quickly fade. I found that at least 12-13 hours was required to effectively put together a lesson plan with a reasonable expectation of success. This, of course, is best accomplished over the span of a couple of days. One my major follies as the course started to heat up is that I would force myself to do it all just one or two days ahead of the lesson. There wasn't much time for rehearsal, editing, editing and editing. Eventually I got the hang of the preparation process and I became prepared and eager for my lessons.

If you are someone with a busy schedule or hectic lifestyle, this course can be a challenge. Time management is of supreme importance both in class and wherever you spend your time outside of it. This is a rewarding challenge, nevertheless.

Afiya
London

CELTA: LONDON @ TEACHING HOUSE oxford house college

Overall 10

Really enjoyed the course, it was very intensive for full-time but it is really worth it. I would definitely recommend it to others. Started off being unknown to it with a vague idea about the course but as the days goes on very quickly, no day was wasted. Everyday was learning something new and discovering something exciting. It was very challenging and motivating. From student to teacher in 4 weeks!

Sanda
New York

Be determined and focused, a lot is expected but you will gain even more from this experience

Overall 10

To be honest with you, I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I did have breaking points and moments when I just thought I would quit the Course because yes- it is that hard!
When you don't have extensive lesson plans to work on you will have even more comprehensive written assignments where you will be expected to quote from certain authors and at least gist the books to get an idea on what you are supposed to write about.
Your typical day starts with a morning input where you get an insight of teaching methodology that you will be expected to apply the next day, if not that same afternoon. Inputs are fun and educational and super interactive so no dozing off in the back of the classroom, participate and engage yourself in debates, you will need it later! After the input, you will have a Guided Lesson Planning if you're teaching the next day while those teaching the same day will be running around the school preparing lesson materials.
Teaching Practice happens every day between 2 and 4 pm. Your tutors and fellow trainers are sitting in the back evaluating your teaching methods and efficacy which they will later present in the most crucial part of your day- Feedback! That's where all the juicy stuff happens, where you get constructive criticism and key points to work on for your next lesson. Be open to constructive criticism, be humble and ready to change the way you think about teaching.
Your day ends at around 5.15 pm and don't think now you can have some dinner and coffee with your friends because chances are-you can't! You have tons of work to do on your lesson plan and assignments which will extend to stupid o'clock, sometimes even pulling an all-nighter.
So eat well, sleep as much as you can, try and get some rest over the weekends if you don't have assignment re-subs and be super determined to do the best you can.
Work with your classmates because you will often have connected lessons and make sure students come first- they deserve an awesome class that I assure you- you can deliver.

It's been, by far, the best four weeks of my life and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is serious about EFL career.
I met a whole heap of amazing people and I honestly miss working with them and going through all of that together.

So my advice is don't hesitate and do it! And while doing it, take it step by step, work with your classmates, believe in yourself, work hard and enjoy it, and if you're not a coffee drinker-now might be the time to reconsider that because you will need caffeine in unlimited amounts :)

Resources seem to be less reliable at some points such as the printer which malfunctions almost every day!

Drew
Taichung, Taiwan
University of Central Florida

I studied harder here than I did in college

Overall 9

9am - Be at Teaching House. Begin morning lessons.
12pm - Lunch break for one hour.
5pm - End observations and teaching demonstrations.
12am - Finish preparing/homework.

A month might not seem like a long time, it is when you have a daily schedule that lasts this long. You get crammed full of experience and you're genuinely prepared for your first classroom when you step into your first job abroad.

Because you will get a job abroad. And pack your bags as soon as your done with this course because you'll get a job quickly. And barring any novice mistakes when you're job searching, you'll get a good job. CELTAs are world-renowned for producing quality teachers and that's what you'll be when you step outside this course. Some countries/jobs even hold CELTAs almost as high as teaching certificates in your home country (which means you could be working at a high-paying public/private school job, like me). You can also work at an international school, which would be otherwise closed to you with just a regular TEFL certificate.

You'll do a lot of paperwork for each teaching demonstration you do, not because you'll have to do that on your job, but because it is all good things you should be thinking about before you step into the classroom.

And you're working with genuine ESL/EFL students which is great because you get to know them, but not as well as you'll get to know your fellow classmates. I'm still friends with many of them and almost all of them are teaching abroad somewhere.

The staff, towards the end of the course, will have a day that you choose where in the world you want to teach and you'll have a sit down with a staff member who has been to that part of the world and you'll talk to them specifically about what kind of work you want to do and where you can begin looking for jobs. The staff is also there to bounce ideas off of when you're planning your lessons, which is a lot like the real world (teachers are kind of like blobs that roll around and stick to other things from other teachers and then the things become a part of them).

It's expensive. Yup. But if you look at it like you'll be getting paid higher with this certification than friends that don't have it, then it evens out. Ya know, like what a college education used to be.

Take the course. Study hard. Drink lots of coffee. And get a job abroad.

I think if the staff would a bit more specific in what kind of jobs I should have been looking for when I first went abroad, that would have been really helpful. They didn't tell me "Most buxibans (an after school school in China, but they have them in Japan and Korea although I'm not sure what the words for them are) are going to pay below what you should be paid with a CELTA and you should be looking at international schools." Yeah, that would have been really helpful.

Jessie
Berkeley, CA
George Mason University

Great CELTA course

Overall 10

It's been a few years, but when I decided that I wanted to teach abroad, I went to Teaching House New York to get CELTA certified. Overall, the program was rigorous and intense, but it really helped prepare me for teaching abroad. They gave great instruction in methodology, and integrated practice teaching into every day of our program. Support was great, and they have a job search engine exclusive to Teaching House alumni that later helped me find a substitute position.

Kind of expensive.

Gabriella
Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Pace University

amazing course

Overall 10

The course is the best thing I've done! The tutors are super helpful and the staff was incredibly nice and available.
The input sessions are very good and as a trainee you receive one to one feedback in every point of your lessons, and suggestions on how to prepare your lessons effectively.
Looking forward to the DELTA.

Some language analysis could be better exploited in the input sessions, such as functions.

James
Puerto Rico
Saint Joseph's University

CELTA BOOT CAMP

Overall 8

Overall experience was rewarding as I felt that I left prepared to teach English effectively and professionally. It was also quite revealing in bringing out the good and bad in both my teaching style and methods so I left confident of my ability yet well aware of where I needed to polish things up. Considerable tedious homework and detailed class plans make things very hectic so long days, very long nights and full-time weekends are prerequisite and even then good time management is essential to keep up. Teaching theory given in the mornings is well presented and expected to be applied in the observed practice teaching sessions in the afternoons. Pre-course reading of textbooks by Jim Scrivener (Learning Teaching) and Jeremy Harmer (The Practice of English Language Teaching) are definitely recommended. Lastly, having 24/7 internet access is helpful.

Camille
NY
University at Albany- SUNY

Overall Good Experience

Overall 8

The overall experience I found was good.

Here are the Pro's

First, I found the staff at the Teaching House and IH very friendly and helpful.

Second, teachers conducted engaging Teacher Input sessions, and provided constructive feedback and support.

Third, The location and the House itself is nice and controlled (you can't get lost or walk to far to come in and out).

Fourth, the overall program is good in that it is a hands on experience teaching. And it is good that the students in the class know we are being monitored, so that they can forgive our mistakes.

Con's or at least some things to consider improving.

Seating - while I understand that it is expensive to bring in bigger desks. My experience with seating is that my papers and books would constantly fall off the desk during input or trying to work on guided discovery planning. This would cause me to lose papers and important notes on occasion.

Printing - I'm sure I am not the first to say that we definitely need more printing pages (and maybe a lecture from teachers at the beginning of the class on ways to save space and paper when printing lesson materials.

Binders and Additional notes from each class - It would be helpful to have dividers in the binder that categorize each stage / category of the program, so that it reduces the time of organizing multiple papers handed out throughout the day into the appropriate section of the binder.

Language Analysis for Grammar and materials for lesson plans.
If someone is enrolled into the program I believe they should either be strong on their pre-interview grammar test, or in the beginning of the course be offered a separate or additional grammar analysis course to help them. Although our teachers taught briefly on language analysis, I feel the instruction wasn't focused enough here especially for those of us who needed it.

There were others in my class who like myself struggled with this task - us mature, professional working folk who graduated from college many moons ago (or who didn't have sufficient grammar teaching in our school days, were slightly at a disadvantage in this area). It was especially difficult completing this task at length when there are other materials to prepare and cover.

Computer (Lab) Rooms, in the lab students (especially in my class) were pretty loud in talking to each other. Their talking usually did not involve working together on their teaching projects. - In the evening, after class, I found it difficult to focus and get my work done while students were talking (non related to their work). I know there is a sign in there about talking, but I myself didn't notice this towards the last week of my being there. I know students should naturally be aware of this but a more prominent sign asking students to speak lower plus a word from the teacher themselves might make this more effective.

At times I felt one of our teachers was giving more praise to some students over others, during their feedback, which had more to do with the student's lengthy language analysis work than their actual lesson execution.

Schedule, The shift in the middle of the course from teaching Pre-Int to Upper Int cause discrepancies in our teaching schedules. What the teacher was scheduling us for (days and subject) conflicted with the schedule that was handed out to us in the beginning of the course.

Overall it was a good experience and I met some friendly people and learned a lot about teaching english, about people and myself.

see above.

Chechehan
New York, NY
Marymount College

Excellent Admin and Teaching Staff

Overall 10

From my first interaction with Teaching House, when I was researching programs in the fall, the enrollment staff were very pleasant and helpful. They gave me honest advice about where I could expect to get a job once I graduated. I spent nearly half an hour on the phone with them. They didn't rush me, and they helped me understand every step of the process. During the course, any time I needed help, they were always willing to drop whatever they were doing to assist with printers, help locate materials, books, supplies or CDs. The Director of the school would even pop into the computer lab from time to time when we were working on assignments late at night and she would check in on us to see how we were doing and provide technical (or emotional) support.
The teachers were awesome. I had Fiona and Sharon. Other reviewers have mentioned more one-on-one time with the teachers, but I felt that when I sought the teachers out for help, they were always willing to set aside time to provide feedback.
This course is intensive, but I feel like if you set aside enough time for it, and you are the type of person who made decent grades in college, then you probably won't have trouble on this course.

MyTeachinghouse.com was difficult to understand. My group had a hard time logging in. It could be better designed.

Vera
South Carolina
Pennsylvania State University

The Celta Surprise

Overall 10

The first day included a T/F exercise - " I will have time to go away for the weekend" - How little did I realize the truth of that statement being False! Intensive is an understatement of the time and commitment needed to finish the course successfully.
However - I can think of no better way to spend a month if you are looking to move into the ESL field. Our instructors, Amir and Robert, were exceptional. Information was coming fast and furious, but they somehow managed to give a sense that all can be accomplished with hard work and discipline. Teaching every other day was a critical part of feeling like what you learned could be put into practice. Assessment by instructors as well as classmates proved invaluable for improvement in lesson planning and teaching. Saturdays in the computer lab were an integral part of finishing all assignments with the support staff and classmates.
The surprise of the course was the relationships that were formed. Being surrounded with people with very similar goals and appreciation for all cultures is something that will not soon be forgotten. The CELTA experience added so much to my life. Not only an immediate job ( I know I was lucky to get one close to home until I can go abroad ), but friends and colleagues who will remain an integral part of my life.

One thing specifically - You need to get another copier! One copier just is not enough in the morning before class, and after noon after class and before the night class.
It was very frustrating as the pace of the course did not leave a lot of free time to be waiting.

Batoul
Saudi Arabia

A great opportunity with great memories

Overall 9

Just being there on the course made some great memories, it was a wonderful experience and a chance to learn something new. The course itself was a bit hard specially during week 3, but it is worth all the lack of sleep and tension. After the course, when I got back to my routine and work I realized that having CELTA was the best decision of my life, not only do I apply the teaching methods into my lessons, but also apply the patience I learned and problem solving techniques to my personal level.
On the course, my tutors were very nice, patient and helpful. My colleagues were supportive and the students were always excited to have a new lesson.
On a personal level, knowing that I passed the course and have that certificate in my hand can always boost my self-esteem. It also helps with job interviews.
I always say you never know what CELTA is until you've tried it. I highly recommend this course, its worth the effort.

Week 3 was super intense. Although I was able to finish both assignments on time, I wouldn't mind adding a few more days to give us (students) more time to be able to work in a better way.

Michael
Chapman University

October 2013 INTENSIVE

Overall 10

If you must take the CELTA course, this is the one to take. I do recommend, however, if you have the time and the resources, that you take the less intensive one, if only for your sanity. This is one INTENSIVE class. Note that word. INTENSIVE. Believe it.

Highlights: Magnificent staff. Friendly, courteous, helpful, resilient in the face of student meltdown, generous, thoughtful, unfailingly pleasant. (insert further encomiums here at your leisure).

Difficulties: Less than stellar printer/copier/computer to student ratio. The one copier was overworked. The joint could do with a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker as well.

I may have neglected to stress how intensive this course is. Just in case, let me once again reiterate another time [sic] that this course is intensive. Nevertheless, the result is worth every penny and shredded nerve.

More copier/printers, please!

Vincent
Saint Martin

CELTA with Teaching House: awesome experience

Overall 10

From the very first day I contacted TH everything went smoothly thanks to the very high degree of professionalism and dedication of the TH staff. I cannot think of any step in the process of taking the CELTA at TH New York that wasn't adressed in the most efficient and friendliest manner.
I have to say that by the end of the second week of the the 4-week intensive program I encountered difficulties to cope with the workload and tasks deadlines. I talked to my CELTA tutor about it and she provided unfailing support and encouragements.

The CELTA is about teaching adults but over the past year and a half, after completing my CELTA I've taught both adults and children. Teaching children wasn't my primary target but I almost had no choice if I wanted to work.
Even though we talked a little about teaching children, I think including a thicker chapter on how to adapt the CELTA method and techniques to children would be useful.

JosephChaparro
Nagoya, Japan
University at Albany- SUNY

CELTA Adventure

Overall 10

The entire course was very intensive but fun and rewarding. The students were the key motivation on constantly trying to improve my lesson plans and teaching skills in the classroom. The teachers at CELTA were all helpful and were willing to help you if you had any questions or if you were struggling in a specific area. I believe there should be more than one copy machine because it wasn't fun when everyone wanted to use it at the same time. Overall, great experience. CELTA helped prepare me for my interview and current job abroad. I am a much more confident teacher thanks to CELTA!

Just get another copy machine and the CELTA course level of stress will decrease a lot more for the students.

Victoria
Rochester, MN
University of Minnesota

My CELTA Days

Overall 9

I was at my location from the moment the school opened to the second it closed. TH has many resources and I fully utilized them. This is key. I would spend two evenings/days doing each lesson plan as that is how long you need to create a through lesson plan. The best part of the experience, besides making new friends, is all the feedback one gets from their trainers. The feedback is beneficial and is constructed in a way to help you and your classmates.

I would have to say more time with the trainers. They work until 6pm and nothing more. It would be nice if they held office hours or were free during the lunch hour. It is hard to get one-on-one time with your trainers.

Begin your career as an English language teacher with Teaching House. Established in 2006, Teaching House hosts a number of facilities that offer extensive training in English language teaching. Teaching House offers full-time, part-time and semi-intensive courses for the Cambridge University accredited CELTA certificate, one of the most prestigious and globally recognized TEFL certificates available.

Students develop their English language teaching education through daily input sessions, teaching practice lessons in which they are given a chance to learn and develop effective teaching methods, and by completing assignments. Resume and job assistance is available throughout the course and overseen by professional teacher trainers with years of travel and teaching experience. With an enrollment of over 3000 trainees you can be sure that Teaching House will provide you with the tools, support and encouragement you need on your journey to become a successful English teacher.

Community Photos: