CELTA Course with Teaching House: Locations Throughout the Globe!

CELTA Course with Teaching House: Locations Throughout the Globe!

Globally recognized and accredited by the University of Cambridge, the CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is a highly regarded TEFL program among employers across the globe. Offered at several Teaching House locations worldwide, the CELTA course offers an intense and detailed curriculum which is taught and overseen by experienced teacher trainers who will help you learn the most effective teaching methods. You will learn by teaching real non-native speakers and implementing the skills taught to you into your lesson plans. Considered a rigorous yet highly rewarding program, the CELTA course will prepare you for a successful English language teaching career.

North America » United States of America » Boston
North America » United States of America » Washington D.C.
North America » United States of America » San Francisco
Training Length
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel

Teaching House is not a placement organization, so the organization does not find placements for their students/graduates, but they offer excellent job listings and have an extensive network of former CELTA students who are willing and able to offer advice or suggestions. During the course, the trainers help hone your resume and interview skills, and they are happy to answer job-related questions,...
There are so many positions out there to teach English to businesses/ business professionals. I have taught several classes myself- in fact they were always the best classes to teach! One thing to keep in mind is that most companies will hire an ESL teacher for their employees through a language school. The reason for this is that companies want to make sure they are getting the best quality of te...
We provide you with a pre-course preparation task with an answer key that you can complete at your own speed. We also provide a list of recommended reading. If you are worried about your grammar knowledge (CELTA is not a grammar course) then you should brush up to make it a bit easier for you on the course, cambridgeenglishteacher.org has a few basic courses on their website, you can also look at...

• Benefits
  • Facilities
  • Instruction
  • Difficulty
  • Job Assistance

Vy

CELTA Course @ Oxford House College (Teaching House - London)

Besides the cocktail of energy drinks I heavily binged during the last two weeks of this 4-week course, the culture of the class, the amazing students and tutors, and the beautiful classmate teachers I made made it extremely worth the work.

Teaching House, particularly, Oxford House College, is a great place to do your CELTA. I was pretty lucky having only a total of six students (including myself) in my CELTA wave. We got immense attention from the tutors due to the small class size.

If you're from the United States and are considering in doing the CELTA, I highly recommend doing it in the UK. The cost of the course, flight ticket, and housing will add up to the same cost it would take to do only the course in the U.S.

Lizzy and Makkie were my tutors. They are the epitome of Teaching House. The cream of the crop. Count yourself lucky if you get to be beside their wing. With all the expertise they have, they never make students feel like their less than them and fully believe in each student's ability to excel as an educator.

Check them out! You won't regret a single pence.

The tutors could be more in sync with their requests of the students. Sometimes we would get confused after hearing unparalleled request about assignments from one tutor to another.

Heather
Ann Arbor, MI
Bowdoin College

Taking a deep breath

I recently completed my CELTA training in Chicago with Teaching House, and wow..... I think I'm still recovering! I wanted to find an ESL certification class that was widely recognized and respected and one that would actually prepare me to walk into a classroom and know what to do, instead of a dime-a-dozen certification program that offered none of that. In fact, I recall checking out the reviews on this site when I was researching my options.

The CELTA course is no joke. My fellow trainees and I worked very hard for four weeks, and it was most definitely initiation by fire. In the mornings, we learned theory, strategies, and frameworks from our tutors (who presented the information by using the very frameworks they were teaching us). And in the afternoons, we put these sessions to use by teaching our own lessons to the local ESL students. "Free time" (or time not in class) would be more accurately described as time used to prepare lesson plans and complete written assignments.

I was one of six trainees, and with two tutors between us, this made for a lot of personal attention and guidance. Jennifer and Eric were knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and very dedicated tutors - always available and willing to help when we had questions. It is an incredibly intense course, and you spend a lot of time with the people at your CELTA center. I feel very lucky to have had exceptional tutors, fellow trainees, office staff, and ESL students.

An easy, blow-off class it is not, but while it is very challenging, it is also rewarding (isn't that often the case?). I learned a ton, improved my skills, and although I never shook my nerves before I had to teach a lesson, eventually, I found I was actually enjoying it - which is one of the main points, after all.

I'm so very glad I found this course and decided to take it, a little surprised I somehow managed to get through it, and super excited to go forth and tackle the world - now armed with my CELTA certification! : )

Go for it!

Clayton
Miami Beach Florida
Rhode Island College

Clayton Sullivan's review

Chris Meoli and Suzanne Schumacher are two of the best teachers I have ever had the privilege of working with. If you're looking for people that are dependable and dedicated than Miami teaching house is where you want to be for your CELTA certification. Chris and Suzanne both give very clear and concise instructions on what it is they'll expect from you. Both teachers enjoy what they do and it shows. I have no complaints and would recommend this course some of my closest friends.

Deanna

It was great!

I'm so glad that I enrolled in this program. I've learnt so much, and hope that others can enroll as well so they can experience it too! The support there is phenomenal and you can really tell that they care, and that only helps push you to try harder. The course can be a bit intensive at times, but thanks to the tutors and support you receive from friendly staff and classmates, it's very manageable.

Before joining this program, I had little to no idea about how to teach, but now I can say that I am thoroughly confident in my abilities. Without this CELTA course I would have had little to no idea on what to do in the classroom, but now I believe that I am well equipped for my first teaching job abroad!

Shuree
State University of New York- Oneonta

Teaching House London CELTA Course

I would highly recommend doing your CELTA course at Teaching House London. It was an amazing experience for me and I learned/grew a lot in just 4 weeks. The staff are all very friendly and helpful while also providing you with feedback that really pushes you. The course itself is a lot of work but you teach every other day and it is awesome to have that much physical practice before you set off into the world.

There were 16 people in my class and we all became like family by the end. It was very cool to meet so many people from all over the world and explore London together during the course. We were also a source of support for each other and another wealth of knowledge as some of us were experienced teachers and others were not but had other useful skills to contribute.

If you are considering CELTA as a possible career choice then Teaching House London is exactly where you want to be!

More emphasis/help with job searching

Behat
london

CELTA @ London House

Doing the Celta at Oxford House College in Central London was an incredible experience for me. The convenient location added to the incredible experience. I felt excited to go there everyday. The staff were amazing and supportive, in every way. My teachers were Lizzy and Bobby who were incredible, the other teachers were also fantastic. Sharing advice and offering support. Everyone was supportive in every way.

The course was was a game changer for me, CELTA has improved my teaching in so many ways, the practical hands on experience as well as the direct feedback was like going to the gym everyday. Developing and training muscles I thought I never had. It was an intensive month but i came out feeling like I had achieved something really worthwhile and felt totally empowered by the knowledge and formula I have acquired.

I cannot recommend CELTA @ Oxford House College enough. Life changing experience.

Improving the technology for teaching with would make the course perfect.

Stephen
Bethesda, Md

Excellent Experience

I recently completed the CELTA course. Prior to enrolling in the course I had already taught ESL to adults for several years, as a volunteer co-teaching a three hour class once a week. When I started CELTA training I compared myself to being a self-taught skier. I can ski black-diamond trails, but it isn't pretty. Similarly, while I was an experienced teacher, it became apparent to me as I began the training that I had much to learn that would improve my effectiveness as a teacher. CELTA taught me how to actually be a student-centered teacher and how to plan lessons effectively.

The CELTA trainers were first-rate and the materials were spot on.

PS. Note re Program Length. I took the extensive (part-time) version of the course, which was 9 weeks long. I think it is equivalent to a one-month full time course.

I thought it was great just as it was.

Daniel
Cambridge

Great course, great teachers, great experience

This course is an excellent CELTA course with good teachers. It's a good value if you want to teach abroad and don't have a lot of experience teaching. The trainers will get you ready to teach quality classes and teach you how to properly prepare your lessons. They are tough, but fair, and help you make great strides in your teaching ability. I highly recommend this course!

You should know that the course is challenging and that will you spend most of your time preparing lessons and working on things you did wrong in your previous lessons. However, if you listen to your teachers and try to apply what you learned, you will gain so much from this course. They really know what they are talking about.

In my opinion, the course is perfect as it is.

Ben
London, United Kingdom

CELTA - Teaching House @ Oxfordhousecollege London

I did my CELTA in 2006 and I've been teaching ever since. The course was very intense but the hard work is fine when you can see the improvement and you feel you are getting a lot out of it. The tutors were amazing - very experienced and great examples to us. I particularly enjoyed the learner case study assignment and the unknown language immersion - very thought provoking. I have since done my DELTA at the same place and I would really recommend both courses to anyone thinking about going abroad to teach.

Rodrigo
Homestead
Miami Dade College

OHC MIAMI/TEACHING HOUSE

I had a great time during this course, although it was very challenging! To be honest, the teachers were fantastic and the course was very thorough, but my only concern was the constant printer malfunctions in the lobby. Many of us would rely on this printer for lesson plans, language analysis sheets, and other important papers. Many times I barely managed to print in time for a lesson due to the printer randomly going offline or other malfunctions and it was very stressful. Otherwise, everything else in the course was great.

New printers.

Jeheremy
Caracas, Venezuela
University of Central Florida

CELTA Boot Camp

I wish I would have had a strategy to grab this bull by his horn. It would have probably felt less overwhelming if I would've created a study itinerary to balance the amount of time and should spend on TPs and Assignments. And also, to not try to embellish and develop each stage until I had the structure and aims complete clear and written out, and only if I had extra time, try to make in more interesting and fun then.

I really learned many lessons in this class. I went through hell and heaven; moments of enlightenment and moments of darkness. I self-doubted my capabilities to teach, my motivations, my intentions, everything, but at the end I pulled through thanks to the support and the faith my trainers deposited in me. I feel I would've liked to have more TPs to get better and better at this. The awesome thing is that I have a TESOL job now where I'm starting to put all these methods in practice, and I continue to see and enjoy how effective they are.

So, thank you CELTA for being like a "boot camp" to me. I really feel I've grown a lot, and I'm ready to continue growing on this path you've set, and up the standards I've been expected to reach. The bar has been set hight, and I'm ready to keep jumping to grab it by the horns, and maybe just raise it some more for myself. I don't want to ever stop growing as a TESOL ;).

I feel that it was great that we didn't have that much technological devices to teach in class, but definitely we need to have more than one printer. The printer at the center was not very functional and kept giving us trouble. When we're so dependent on making photocopies and printing, we cannot afford to have a "ok" photocopier/printer.

Have a place for students to be able to sit quietly 24/7 and have resources available would help students to truly focus and not have to deal with paying su much in parking, having to go home where most likely they can't focus, and miss opportunities to collaborate more with other students.

Those two things would make a world of a difference. Thank you for reading.

Matthew
Silver Spring
New York University

CELTA course review

The CELTA course taught me a good deal of things that seem obvious in hindsight, but about which I really knew very little. I've even found myself using certain techniques (ICQ's and CCQ's, for example) with friends and family when we are doing an activity together. I also really appreciate that we were able to teach an actual class of English learners so that we could put into practice the methods we were learning as we went along; this also gave us a great opportunity to see where we needed work, what we were doing well in, etc.

The one improvement that I would suggest would be to space out the writing assignments differently, so that a teacher doesn't have to turn in a written assignment on the same day that he/she has to teach.

Lauren
Arlington, MA

CELTA Course in Boston Jul/Aug 2016

It was a very rigorous course but I learned more and, more importantly, remembered more from the CELTA classes than from any teacher training classes I've taken in the past. It's amazing that you can be so confused by the amount of information that's being directed at you and yet come away remembering so much of it. From my own experiences being a student on the course and from classes that dealt with the topic, I'm now much more sensitive to the feelings and struggles of English learners, and more aware of gender, ethnic, and religious issues that can consciously or unconsciously play a part in teaching English. No funny stories come to mind, I'm afraid, but certainly one of the best aspects of the course was the collegiate atmosphere among the participants.

Probably not likely given the time constraints, but It would be nice to have more time in which to write the papers. I would have liked to have done a better job on them but had too many other things to juggle. Also, I think there should be more acknowledgment of different ways of teaching. Given that different styles of teaching have had their day and been replaced by other styles, I couldn't always accept the implication that there was only one right way to teach. Statements like "This is what we think is the best approach," or "here's how we like to do things nowadays," would have alleviated the sometimes messianic tone of the teaching.

Behzad
Tehran, Iran

CELTA

Besides the knowledge and highly professional performance of the trainers, the team work encouragement and support at CELTA program were simply amazing! It was a really difficult course for me as I have been out of school for almost 15 years but I really enjoyed every single moment of both the trainers' lessons and also the team work. Trainers' lessons were both fun and extremely productive.
I also would like to take a minute to thank my trainers, especially Micky Lammond who is an amazing teacher and wonderful person. Besides his great command of the job, his encouragements along the way helped me a lot.

I think resource and materials at TeachingHouse CELTA program have some room for improvement. The library had only few options to offer and the logistics, i.e, computers and printers, could be a little more accommodating. For instance, the printers were not connected to the computers. Apparently they each belonged to different providers. Also, just as a comment, that particular area on Market St. was not necessarily the most suitable place for the class location. Sometimes it was hard to feel safe going to and from school. I have heard that San Francisco has safer places.

Yassin

Do not fear, CELTA Teaching House Boston is here.

The 4 Week CELTA course at Teaching House Boston is intensive and at times you will have to remind yourself that it is only 4 weeks. After it is over, you would have to remind yourself it is over and to stop thinking about your lesson plans! It was an amazing experience at Teaching House Boston. You will receive the most qualified tutors and friendliest staff. I am a teacher with very little experience teaching in a classroom. I am leaving with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to begin my teaching career. Job opportunities will be presented through the course and some trainees including myself have gotten jobs through them. The tutors are very concerned with your success. When the course felt like it is was falling apart for me, I got the support and encouragement I greatly needed from my CELTA tutor.
In addition, your tutors encourage you to support your peers and work together!
By the end of your journey, your peers will be your family.
If you already have a lot of experience in teaching. I guarantee the tutors at THBoston will benefit you.
In all, I highly recommend the CELTA course at Teaching House Boston whether you are new to teaching or already have tons of experience.
You will be making one of the best decisions in your teaching career.

Kathryn
Worcester
Emerson College

Teaching House Boston

I did my CELTA course at Teaching House Boston and was overall extremely satisfied with my experience. We had three different tutors on the course, all of whom were so helpful and knowledgeable. It was so useful to have their different perspectives and experiences to draw from. The course was very fast-paced and intense, but in no way unmanageable. I thought the feedback from the instructors on my assignments and teaching practices was very helpful and they always gave me concrete things to work on for the future. I felt as though the tutors were invested in my learning and truly wanted me to do well, and although at times the feedback was critical, it was never harsh. Overall, I loved doing my CELTA at Teaching House Boston and would unequivocally recommend it to anyone who is interested.

Julian
Cambridge

Best investment I ever made!

Taking the CELTA was the best investment I ever made towards advancing my teaching career. The practical knowledge, hands-on activities and in-depth feedback I gained from the course are invaluable. Unlike other courses in which you often just listen to someone lecture about how to teach English, with the CELTA you start teaching within the first couple days, and then almost everyday thereafter FOR A MONTH. It's can be incredibly challenging at times, but I believe it is truly the best way to prepare people to become (better) teachers. Teaching House Boston provided us with an incredibly gifted staff, clean facilities and lots of support throughout our program. I was really impressed by their depth of knowledge and overall concern for the trainees. I didn't feel like a number; just another person taking a course. Rather, our trainers really showed a genuine desire to see us succeed. I think the in-depth feedback we received from our trainers after every lesson was one of the most valuable take-aways from the course. They really honed in on the details of our performance, highlighting both our strengths and our weaknesses. I am so grateful for having the opportunity to take this course with the fantastic staff of TH Boston and recommend everyone else serious about advancing their teaching career to do the same.

Trainers should communicate better with each other about how standard teaching practices are taught so as not to confuse the trainees. Myself and many of my co-trainees found ourselves at a loss at times when, after completing 1-2 weeks with one trainer learning how to drill, model and instruct in one way, found ourselves being criticized for implementing things we learned from the other trainer(s). I think the confusion arose because there was very little differentiation made between was is regarded as standard teaching practice and the personal teaching styles of the trainers. Because of this we received mixed and at times conflicting information from different trainers which caused confusion and anxiety over what was actually expected of us.

Lindsey

Tougher than expected, but well worth it.

Having heard from many others how difficult this course was, I thought I had a good idea of what to expect going into it, but boy, was I wrong! It was very trying, especially weeks two and three, and there were times where many of us felt like we were about to break, but we made it. Honestly though, it was a shock for many of us when it was finished, we couldn't believe it was all over. The knowledge that we gained, and the friendships and connections that we made was well worth it!

Kaad
Brooklyn

Go hard or go home

This course is tough, whether it taken in a month or three. The workload is intense and especially for those who have never taught, this type of work is very different from typical essays or group presentations from college. This course forces you to think about language and its application in a completely different way and I have truly benefitted from it. Now I feel I can confidently go out into the world and teach.

Brian
Long Beach, California

Stressful but worth it

I didn't believe the CELTA would be as stressful as everyone said it was. Let me assure you, it is TOUGH!

At least three people, including me, were on the verge of quitting at one point. Yeah, that's right: We considered giving up our $2,800 investment due to the stress.

But it's worth it.

You go into the CELTA knowing little but come out with 9 teaching practices and confidence.

The camaraderie developed among fellow trainees was great, as well.

The printers also don't always work.

That said, the tutors treated me really well. They know their stuff and helped me out a lot. (Be sure to get to class early so you can ask lots of questions. That helped A LOT.)

The CELTA course is tough, but it gave me what I needed.

Rachana

Great class

I really enjoyed this class (looking back on it); there were definitely some stressful moments but our tutors and fellow classmates were really supportive and encouraging. The students were fun too; I enjoyed meeting so many people from all walks of life and from around the globe. Washington D.C. in particular is a great place to be, and I'm glad this course is offered there. I'd love to return someday!

Theresa
Seattle, WA

Best Decision I Ever Made - And A Better Program Than My MA!

CELTA was the hardest, most difficult, most stressful, most exhausting four weeks of my entire life. I had an emotional breakdown in week three, probably got about four hours of sleep total in week two, and legitimately almost upchucked before my first teaching practice. BUT, even with all of that, CELTA was hands down the best decision I have ever made in my ENTIRE life. Teaching House was absolutely phenomenal and I would 150% would do it all over again if I had to.

The two trainers of my course were an absolute godsend. Shannon Felt (the Teaching House general manager), specifically, was a marvel. She was supportive, encouraging, hilarious, engaging, enthusiastic, and genuinely passionate about what she was doing. It was obvious that she loved her job and that she loved teaching English. Because of her energy, I (and many of the other teachers-in-training on the course) felt all the more energized about what we were there to learn and do.

The resources provided by Teaching House were top notch and I always felt that I had everything I could possibly need at my disposal. I felt supported, encouraged, and pushed into being the best teacher I could possibly be.

Even better, the students at Teaching House (the ones you, as a teacher-in-training, teach) were amazing. The two groups (upper-intermediate and pre-intermediate) were diverse, helpful, and wanted to learn English just as badly as you wanted to help them learn it.

In the end, I left Teaching House with a CELTA, some truly fantastic friendships, and feeling of confidence that I could and would be able to do something with the certificate I'd earned. That confidence is a feeling I hadn't gained from either my BA or MA and one I will value forever. And, perhaps most importantly, a confidence and a certificate that helped me land a job at Kaplan International just two weeks after graduating from CELTA (without any pre-CELTA teaching experience under my belt).

CELTA will kick your butt and make you work harder than you ever have in your entire life. But if you can buckle down, trudge through, and remember that teaching is kind of freaking awesome then I know you'll come out the other side loving the experience just as much as I did.

Doug
Chicago
Columbia College Chicago

Teaching House Chicago

My experience with the part-time 10-week course at Teaching House Chicago was intense. I've encountered "you are set up to fail" from systems and the people that administer them before, but never in my experiences had it been quite so true. My personal schedule was a bit tight, so it was easy for me to fall behind in the early stages of the course. It took a good month-long stretch of fighting and clawing to get back in shape. Luckily the TH center was well-stocked with reference materials and excellent educators to help me straighten myself out.

The Saturday inputs were serious business. Every week a lot of new information is disseminated, with very little time for review. As we were going through these inputs, it all made perfect sense. Once you are planning your lesson at home by yourself, however, that illusion can quickly fade. I found that at least 12-13 hours was required to effectively put together a lesson plan with a reasonable expectation of success. This, of course, is best accomplished over the span of a couple of days. One my major follies as the course started to heat up is that I would force myself to do it all just one or two days ahead of the lesson. There wasn't much time for rehearsal, editing, editing and editing. Eventually I got the hang of the preparation process and I became prepared and eager for my lessons.

If you are someone with a busy schedule or hectic lifestyle, this course can be a challenge. Time management is of supreme importance both in class and wherever you spend your time outside of it. This is a rewarding challenge, nevertheless.

Afiya

CELTA: LONDON @ TEACHING HOUSE oxford house college

Really enjoyed the course, it was very intensive for full-time but it is really worth it. I would definitely recommend it to others. Started off being unknown to it with a vague idea about the course but as the days goes on very quickly, no day was wasted. Everyday was learning something new and discovering something exciting. It was very challenging and motivating. From student to teacher in 4 weeks!

Sanda
New York

Be determined and focused, a lot is expected but you will gain even more from this experience

To be honest with you, I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I did have breaking points and moments when I just thought I would quit the Course because yes- it is that hard!
When you don't have extensive lesson plans to work on you will have even more comprehensive written assignments where you will be expected to quote from certain authors and at least gist the books to get an idea on what you are supposed to write about.
Your typical day starts with a morning input where you get an insight of teaching methodology that you will be expected to apply the next day, if not that same afternoon. Inputs are fun and educational and super interactive so no dozing off in the back of the classroom, participate and engage yourself in debates, you will need it later! After the input, you will have a Guided Lesson Planning if you're teaching the next day while those teaching the same day will be running around the school preparing lesson materials.
Teaching Practice happens every day between 2 and 4 pm. Your tutors and fellow trainers are sitting in the back evaluating your teaching methods and efficacy which they will later present in the most crucial part of your day- Feedback! That's where all the juicy stuff happens, where you get constructive criticism and key points to work on for your next lesson. Be open to constructive criticism, be humble and ready to change the way you think about teaching.
Your day ends at around 5.15 pm and don't think now you can have some dinner and coffee with your friends because chances are-you can't! You have tons of work to do on your lesson plan and assignments which will extend to stupid o'clock, sometimes even pulling an all-nighter.
So eat well, sleep as much as you can, try and get some rest over the weekends if you don't have assignment re-subs and be super determined to do the best you can.
Work with your classmates because you will often have connected lessons and make sure students come first- they deserve an awesome class that I assure you- you can deliver.

It's been, by far, the best four weeks of my life and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is serious about EFL career.
I met a whole heap of amazing people and I honestly miss working with them and going through all of that together.

So my advice is don't hesitate and do it! And while doing it, take it step by step, work with your classmates, believe in yourself, work hard and enjoy it, and if you're not a coffee drinker-now might be the time to reconsider that because you will need caffeine in unlimited amounts :)

Resources seem to be less reliable at some points such as the printer which malfunctions almost every day!

Drew
Taichung, Taiwan
University of Central Florida

I studied harder here than I did in college

9am - Be at Teaching House. Begin morning lessons.
12pm - Lunch break for one hour.
5pm - End observations and teaching demonstrations.
12am - Finish preparing/homework.

A month might not seem like a long time, it is when you have a daily schedule that lasts this long. You get crammed full of experience and you're genuinely prepared for your first classroom when you step into your first job abroad.

Because you will get a job abroad. And pack your bags as soon as your done with this course because you'll get a job quickly. And barring any novice mistakes when you're job searching, you'll get a good job. CELTAs are world-renowned for producing quality teachers and that's what you'll be when you step outside this course. Some countries/jobs even hold CELTAs almost as high as teaching certificates in your home country (which means you could be working at a high-paying public/private school job, like me). You can also work at an international school, which would be otherwise closed to you with just a regular TEFL certificate.

You'll do a lot of paperwork for each teaching demonstration you do, not because you'll have to do that on your job, but because it is all good things you should be thinking about before you step into the classroom.

And you're working with genuine ESL/EFL students which is great because you get to know them, but not as well as you'll get to know your fellow classmates. I'm still friends with many of them and almost all of them are teaching abroad somewhere.

The staff, towards the end of the course, will have a day that you choose where in the world you want to teach and you'll have a sit down with a staff member who has been to that part of the world and you'll talk to them specifically about what kind of work you want to do and where you can begin looking for jobs. The staff is also there to bounce ideas off of when you're planning your lessons, which is a lot like the real world (teachers are kind of like blobs that roll around and stick to other things from other teachers and then the things become a part of them).

It's expensive. Yup. But if you look at it like you'll be getting paid higher with this certification than friends that don't have it, then it evens out. Ya know, like what a college education used to be.

Take the course. Study hard. Drink lots of coffee. And get a job abroad.

I think if the staff would a bit more specific in what kind of jobs I should have been looking for when I first went abroad, that would have been really helpful. They didn't tell me "Most buxibans (an after school school in China, but they have them in Japan and Korea although I'm not sure what the words for them are) are going to pay below what you should be paid with a CELTA and you should be looking at international schools." Yeah, that would have been really helpful.

Jessie Beck
Jessie
San Fransisco, CA
George Mason University

Great CELTA course

It's been a few years, but when I decided that I wanted to teach abroad, I went to Teaching House New York to get CELTA certified. Overall, the program was rigorous and intense, but it really helped prepare me for teaching abroad. They gave great instruction in methodology, and integrated practice teaching into every day of our program. Support was great, and they have a job search engine exclusive to Teaching House alumni that later helped me find a substitute position.

Kind of expensive.

Gabriella
Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Pace University

amazing course

The course is the best thing I've done! The tutors are super helpful and the staff was incredibly nice and available.
The input sessions are very good and as a trainee you receive one to one feedback in every point of your lessons, and suggestions on how to prepare your lessons effectively.
Looking forward to the DELTA.

Some language analysis could be better exploited in the input sessions, such as functions.

James
Puerto Rico
Saint Joseph's University

CELTA BOOT CAMP

Overall experience was rewarding as I felt that I left prepared to teach English effectively and professionally. It was also quite revealing in bringing out the good and bad in both my teaching style and methods so I left confident of my ability yet well aware of where I needed to polish things up. Considerable tedious homework and detailed class plans make things very hectic so long days, very long nights and full-time weekends are prerequisite and even then good time management is essential to keep up. Teaching theory given in the mornings is well presented and expected to be applied in the observed practice teaching sessions in the afternoons. Pre-course reading of textbooks by Jim Scrivener (Learning Teaching) and Jeremy Harmer (The Practice of English Language Teaching) are definitely recommended. Lastly, having 24/7 internet access is helpful.

Camille
NY
University at Albany- SUNY

Overall Good Experience

The overall experience I found was good.

Here are the Pro's

First, I found the staff at the Teaching House and IH very friendly and helpful.

Second, teachers conducted engaging Teacher Input sessions, and provided constructive feedback and support.

Third, The location and the House itself is nice and controlled (you can't get lost or walk to far to come in and out).

Fourth, the overall program is good in that it is a hands on experience teaching. And it is good that the students in the class know we are being monitored, so that they can forgive our mistakes.

Con's or at least some things to consider improving.

Seating - while I understand that it is expensive to bring in bigger desks. My experience with seating is that my papers and books would constantly fall off the desk during input or trying to work on guided discovery planning. This would cause me to lose papers and important notes on occasion.

Printing - I'm sure I am not the first to say that we definitely need more printing pages (and maybe a lecture from teachers at the beginning of the class on ways to save space and paper when printing lesson materials.

Binders and Additional notes from each class - It would be helpful to have dividers in the binder that categorize each stage / category of the program, so that it reduces the time of organizing multiple papers handed out throughout the day into the appropriate section of the binder.

Language Analysis for Grammar and materials for lesson plans.
If someone is enrolled into the program I believe they should either be strong on their pre-interview grammar test, or in the beginning of the course be offered a separate or additional grammar analysis course to help them. Although our teachers taught briefly on language analysis, I feel the instruction wasn't focused enough here especially for those of us who needed it.

There were others in my class who like myself struggled with this task - us mature, professional working folk who graduated from college many moons ago (or who didn't have sufficient grammar teaching in our school days, were slightly at a disadvantage in this area). It was especially difficult completing this task at length when there are other materials to prepare and cover.

Computer (Lab) Rooms, in the lab students (especially in my class) were pretty loud in talking to each other. Their talking usually did not involve working together on their teaching projects. - In the evening, after class, I found it difficult to focus and get my work done while students were talking (non related to their work). I know there is a sign in there about talking, but I myself didn't notice this towards the last week of my being there. I know students should naturally be aware of this but a more prominent sign asking students to speak lower plus a word from the teacher themselves might make this more effective.

At times I felt one of our teachers was giving more praise to some students over others, during their feedback, which had more to do with the student's lengthy language analysis work than their actual lesson execution.

Schedule, The shift in the middle of the course from teaching Pre-Int to Upper Int cause discrepancies in our teaching schedules. What the teacher was scheduling us for (days and subject) conflicted with the schedule that was handed out to us in the beginning of the course.

Overall it was a good experience and I met some friendly people and learned a lot about teaching english, about people and myself.

see above.

Begin your career as an English language teacher with Teaching House. Established in 2006, Teaching House hosts a number of facilities that offer extensive training in English language teaching. Teaching House offers full-time, part-time and semi-intensive courses for the Cambridge University accredited CELTA certificate, one