Combined Level 5 TEFL Course in South Africa

Proud Graduate from The TEFL Academy with Students
Proud Graduate from The TEFL Academy with Students
Graduates from Our Cape Town Class
Graduates from Our Cape Town Class

At the TEFL Academy, our course leads to a Level 5 TEFL Certificate (168 hours), regulated by Ofqual (UK) and the DEAC (US) so it’s certified by two government bodies!

Our course is designed so that you can understand your potential employers. Within the industry, some employers prefer “hands on” study rather than purely online, and our combined course provides 20 hours in the classroom with an additional 148 hours of online study. This course will give you additional confidence to handle face-to-face teaching, and allow you to have a competitive edge in the job marketplace.

The 20-hour weekend classroom course is designed to breakdown the fundamentals of TEFL. Within those 20 hours you will have teaching opportunities and gain knowledge from other students in the classroom.

• Level 5 qualification (same level as CELTA/Trinity CertTESOL)
  • Internationally recognised

• Academic Rigor 7.8
  • Job Assistance 8.2
Angela

The TEFL Academy's combined Level 5 course

The TEFL Academy combined level 5 course was great. The online course was well laid out and easy to navigate. The interactive activities in the units were very helpful to check my understanding as I went along, and the end of unit tests were actually fun as I was able to check how much of the information I had retained. The assignments' instructions are clear and easy to follow. Any when I had questions, they were responded to in a timely manner.
The practical element was very helpful, as it comforting being able to speak to someone with ESL experience. It was, however, very long as it is squished into one weekend, and so it consumes a whole weekend. Despite this, it was helpful to also practice some lessons and see others do the same. I am currently teaching English to English first language speakers and I will definitely be including some of the activities and method I learnt during the course.

The program is already very well structured. But if I really had to, I would try break up the practical element. From instance allow students do choose to do it over two weekends, so The first element on the Saturday one one weekend and then the second element on the Sunday the following weekend.
Anja

My experience with The Tefl Academy

The Tefl Academy definitly opens your eyes to a world of opportunities. I had a positive experience with both components of the course. I found that the in class part was very necessary since it gives you an idea how it will be in a real life situation. In the in class component one also gains knowledge on how to interact with different age groups and the types of games one can use with each class. The online component is also very helpful and gives you valuable information. You learn a lot about what it entails to teach English as a Foreign Language. The Tefl team is also very helpful and friendly. They reply quite fast and has always shown a lot of patience. If one is looking for a career change or for something new I would definitly recommend The Tefl Academy to get one started.

The only thing I would improve is to have a consultant speaking to you once you've completed the course. The consultant should take into account what you're looking for and what would be the best option for you.
Sauliha

Level 5 TEFL course

At first I thought this course was going to be a breeze, however whist working through the contents of the course I was surprised at the attention of detail provided. Perhaps because i am a native English speaker some concepts were taken for granted. I learned how to explain concepts in a simple but meaningful way by going though the course and watching TEFL videos.
I would highly recommend that prospective students attend the face to face teaching session as the interaction was fantastic. It's also an opportunity to share learning with fellow students

Be prepared for the assignments, at times I found myself over thinking and answer. The best way is just start writing down your points and slowly your answer will build.
Overall- awesome

I would include more interaction between the student and the course provider. Humans are creatures of habit and have many questions, perhaps live skype meetings every now and then would be helpful to students
Keren

The TEFL course is amazing!

I am so grateful I went to the two days of lectures beforehand because I was guided and given assistance I would've struggled without. I really enjoyed spending time learning throughout the course, working through the course material and completely the tests and assignments. It was challenging in many areas but I loved doing it, and found it to be incredibly valuable and beneficial. It extended me and provided me with the opportunity to build on my knowledge of the English language.
The TEFL Course has helped me to teach more effectively, even in South Africa in a variety of subjects.

Currently I am completely m PGCE and I am finding it to be so much easier because of the way the TEFL Course set me up and helped me to gain a greater understanding of how to go about teaching and how to be an effective teacher.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would start earlier and get as much done as soon as possible, so not to be under pressure in the later part of the course.
Liezl

Yes almost all tens!!!

I learned so much with this course! Not just about the English language, but the teaching methods blew my mind!!! The quality of the content is very high yet easy to use and understand. I will be lying if I said some of the units didn't challenge me, but because of the layout and structure of the course I managed to get it done. The feedback on assignments were very thorough. You knew exactly what was wrong without feeling discouraged. There were also a face-to-face part of the course. It was nice to meet fellow students doing TEFL. The two days were jam packed but our mentor Linda made it alot of fun. I also enjoyed hearing what others are planing to do after completing the course. Overall, an extremely positive experience for me. I would recommend it to anyone who is considering doing a TEFL course.

The TEFL academy is very professional with excellent accreditation behind them. I truly can't think of anything I would change.
Westley

Excellent!

I went through some difficult times during my course and TEFL was there for me every step of the way. I will never forget this experience and the grace that was given to me during these times. The course was fair and not too difficult. I further found that the classroom part of the course was extremely fun and I met some interesting people.

I am now finished with the course and starting to think of which country I want to teach in. Very excited to have been part of this course and looking forward to finally share my knowledge with the world.

I would advise anyone that wants to partake in this course to not wait any longer, this is a great experience and will open up a lot of doors, the experience gained from this has been immeasurable...!

Liesel

Great course

A great course with amazing material. It is very helpful and will take you places. The content is very thorough and well-structured. I received my assignments in a short period of time. The support staff were very friendly and accommodating. Because it is an internationally recognized course, the standards were set high. But the TEFL Academy achieved these standards and more. The in-classroom training was fun, innovative and great experience. My facilitator, Judy Nel, was very quirky, fun and intellectual. She helped me understand what it means to become an ESL/TEFL teacher and how to practice the skills learnt in the online component of the course. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in teaching English online or abroad.

Marlene

Level 5 TEFL Course

I'm already a teacher and have taught English in Taiwan. Since that time countries want teachers to also complete courses like TEFL. This course refreshed my memory about teaching and why we are teaching. It is not only a job, but making a difference in a student's live. As a life long learner, I learned a lot and more focused on the needs of students after this course. I got ideas and methods to improve my teaching and the importance of how I teach to new learners of English. I believe this course broadened my mind on different aspects of teaching. I really think TEFL 5 level course prepares a teacher for teaching all over the world. With the knowledge I gained through this course, I'm excited to travel to new countries to share my experience and knowledge with other people.

I really think the TEFL 5 level course will improve every person's way of teaching.
Noeleen

Level 5 TEFL course

It's never to late to study, and I can vouch for that. I signed up with TEFL South Africa at the age of 58, and have not looked back. I found it really easy to navigate yourself around the course from the start. Besides the tests at the end of each unit, they also give you enough resources, materials and videos to watch. The assignments were a bit more challenging to me, but this also gives you a chance to recap all that you have learnt. My one assignment they gave me feedback as to where I was going wrong and let me resubmit it before they would grade me. TEFL are there to help and guide you with your work, and for me that is a big bonus. I now look forward to getting work at a school and a chance to teach and improve someone's life.

Need to have access to the course for longer than 6 months
Radhika

A journey begins with a single click!

What a journey! As a student, I am no stranger to lectures and assignments, however this course was lovely adventure. It is presented in a structured manner and gradually increases in what it demands of you. However, some of the links given do not work. This is a fun and exciting course if you have a zest for life and a taste for adventure, while adding to resume ;).

This course was challenging at times and interesting at times. For English speakers this is a laugh, as you finally learn the wierd and wonderful rules of grammar. You truly appreciate those that have learnt English!

This is not only a good course for traveling, but also for improving your English and studying abilities to truly wow your fellow students and teachers with your skills in your chosen field of study.

Do your research about the place and the weather, it is important. I know it's tedious but it'll serve you well. Make sure your documents are in check and you have enough money!
Abigail

Excellent experience

Firstly, the staff assistance is amazing. They respond to your emails as fast as possible and they are always prepared to help in any way possible. This course also provides a good and healthy challenge when it comes to the assignment. I have learnt a lot through this course and I recommend the TEFL Academy. I couldn’t be more satisfied with my life experience. I found out about the TEFL Academy through my best friend and I’m extremely happy she introduced this course to me because I will be going to China next year to teach English. If it was not for the TEFL Academy, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to go abroad to a country that I’m extremely excited about. I cannot wait to use my knowledge I learned from my course to teach little kids.

Katy

A course ensured to make your travel dreams a reality!

The Combined Level 5 TEFL Course is an excellent option for anyone looking to find a job in teaching English abroad. The course is well-thought out, rigorous and yet accessible. It allows you six months to complete the full course which is ample time to do so. The units are carefully broken up into sections that are easily possible to complete in an evening. The content and assignments will make you feel sure that you are well-prepared for whatever you may face in the classroom and for dealing with a variety of situations in a foreign country. Assistance and feedback is prompt, the content is interesting and the course format is user friendly. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to teach English abroad, online or even just for interest's sake!

Lehandri

Excellent course

I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot! The course is really well structured - it starts with teaching vocabulary and grammar, which is the basics of language teaching. It then goes on to teach you how to give reading, listening, speaking and writing lessons. I was able to use everything I learned in the classroom. The students also really enjoy the lessons I provide. The course made me rethink my teaching style and helped me to put myself in my student’s shoes. Before starting the course I did not realize how important that is. This course is what every foreign language teacher needs to enhance their teaching and it covers literally every aspect you can think of. I will recommend this course to everyone and I ensure you, you will not regret it!

There is really nothing I would change about this program.
Martin

The online TEFL course

My experience with the TEFL online course was amazing. The pages were laid out in an easy understandable way and they were very easy to navigate. The course covered every topic I could think of and more and just when you think there is something you don't quite understand, they give you some extra resources on the topic.

This course can be done even if, like me, you have slow internet. The assignments can all be done offline (although research will be necessary). Speaking of the assignments, the 3 assignments given throughout the course poses quite a challenge and maximum effort will be required to complete them. That isn't off-putting in any way, on the contrary, it required more effort than any other aspect of the course and that made doing them and passing them feel like a major achievement.

This course is my ticket to seeing the world and I know it can do the same for anyone thinking of doing it.

There really isn't much to improve in this program but if I had to choose one thing I'd say to put just a tiny bit more detail in some of the grammar topics in Unit 4. It covered everything you need, but lacked a tiny bit in the tenses section. It covered half of the tenses in detail and skipped over the others, but that doesn't mean you can't go do your own research like I did.
Cristin

Adventures in Africa

Dealing with The TEFL Academy has been nothing but a joy from the day I found their website online until the day I graduated from the Level 5 course.

The classroom-based lectures and practical was absolutely remarkable and was exactly what I needed to gain a deeper understanding into what teaching abroad will be like.

I was challenged by the content and didn't find it too watered-down or too difficult, the level was just right. The assignments particularly challenged me and pushed me to learn concepts that I was previously unfamiliar with.

I am so impressed by their professionalism and they have left no stone unturned. I really am completely prepared and confidant to go overseas and teach English now that I have my TEFL qualification.

Thank you The TEFL Academy!

Nothing :)

But seeing that you insist I put ords here - just well done... really - a brilliant business model.