Biodiversity Research Institute in the Tropical Forest of Brazil

The Biodiversity Research Institute (IPBio) is a place where research meets conservation. IPBio is an NGO that develops projects in environmental education and scientific research on biodiversity, ecology and on the behavior of species. In addition, IPBio 's mission is to encourage conservation, management and sustainable use of natural resources; promote the development of eco-tourism and cultural projects.

With only 7% of the Atlantic Forest remaining, we are rapidly losing one of the world’s top biodiversity hotspots. 200 birds and 21 primates are endemic. Conservation is critical. Volunteer Roles: 1) In Research Projects: Bioluminescent Mushrooms; Bioacoustics Project; Tree Inventory and Monitoring; Amphibian Research 2) Reserve Maintenance and Gardening: maintain trails, aquarium and microclimate greenhouse 3) Photographers/Movie Producers: wildlife photography; produce volunteer videos; short documentaries; our videos have been used by Discovery Channel 4) Fundraising and Communications - develop our social media; write grants for research equipment
  • Visiting the town with the highest concentration of bioluminescent mushrooms in the world
  • Gaining hands on experience in the field of research and conservation
  • Participate in exciting activities such as tubing and visiting caves and waterfalls
  • Work for an organization which received accreditation as an advanced outpost of The Atlantic Forest Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO

Chris

Highly recommended

I spent 4 weeks as a biodiversity research assistant at IPBio. My role involved spending half my time carrying out the amphibian research projects and the other half helping with the general eco-volunteer projects (e.g. bird inventory, tree inventory, mushroom inventory, fresh water habitat monitoring, reviewing camera trap footage).

The programme was very well organised and everything turned out according to plan and as prescribed. The volunteer co-ordinators Imran and Marleen, as well as all the other staff, are friendly and helpful. There is a positive attitude and things get done quickly and effectively.

The work was varied and interesting. There was a good mix of practical field work with time spent in the lab. It taught me to take an even closer look at the natural world around me and appreciate the smaller things in the forest, which I will take forward with me. My only bit of criticism is that I felt the studies were not all scientifically rigorous (e.g. variable such as number of people collecting data not controlled) and it was also not always clear what the purpose or end goal was for some projects. As the organisation continues to develop (which it will, it's run by enthusiastic and forward thinking people) I would like to see closer links fostered with universities and research groups to create more rigorous work with a higer impact.

The setting is wonderful surrounded by beautiful Atlantic forest and far from the city. The reserve itself used to be farmland and it is amazing to see how nature has reclaimed the land. I also loved exploring the local town Iporanga which is not on the tourist trail and gives you a feel for real small town Brazil - horse is a common form of transport!

The social scene was excellent and I really enjoyed getting to know other volunteers from around the world. You quickly make friendships that make the experience. There are opportunities to do get trips to caves, waterfalls and the coast on weekends.

All in all a great and worthwhile experience.

As above - ensure the projects are practical and relevant and foster links with researchers to make sure they have a real world impact
Jalitaa

An Amazing Time!!!

I volunteered at IPBio as a video editor/videographer for and I must say that I truly recommend this wonderful place to anyone who is looking for an enriching experience in the jungle. Coming from the bay area in California, the change in scenery and environment was something I was really looking forward to. The process of getting there and being introduced to the place was all very streamlined and quite simple to do. At first I was very anxious, however once I got off the bus and met with Marleen and Imran, I felt instantly comfortable and excited to get started. I was editing a documentary style video for IPBio so my weekdays were spent mainly working on that. However if I thought I had the time, I joined the Eco-volunteers in mushroom hunting and other activities! Every weekend I spent there was breathtaking; from towering waterfalls to cathedral-like caves, my mouth dropped open each time at every destination and it made me fall in love with Brazil more and more. I honestly never felt safer here and within the three weeks I was there (I regret not staying longer!) I already felt part of the community within the reserve as well as the small community in the nearby town, Iporanga. The hospitality and kindness of the people there truly made my time there so amazing and memorable. If you are on the brink of deciding whether you should come here, I urge you to do so and if you were deciding the length of time to stay, I advise you to go big because time passes so so fast here it’s honestly hard to wrap my mind around!

IPBIO experience
Mathieu

Great experience !

This experience was great in several ways. I always wanted to do my share in protecting biodiversity and discovering wild life. So when I heard about IPBIO I planned to go there. Done, I was there for a month and it surpassed my expectations. First, I was surprised how nice and welcoming Brazilian people are. Then the landscape is crazy; jungle, mountains cave and waterfalls are everywhere. About IPBIO; the working activities are nice and diverse - we can participate at mushrooms inventory, birds, tree inventory even fish. Mammals you can inventory by using the camera traps are also amazing. But the most interesting aspect is to live with people from everywhere, different languages and areas but all super nice !

Michael

Bioluminescent Mushrooms in the Lab and in the Forest and so Much More

At the Atlantic Forest Betary Reserve Field Station the work was enjoyable and rewarding and the staff and locals are all very friendly and welcoming. By the end of my stay everyone felt like family. I always had the weekends to look forward to because there were so many tourist activities to take part in and there was always a BBQ happening somewhere.
I was a mushroom volunteer researcher for 6 months and I spent the majority of my work week developing methods for growing bioluminescent mushroom species endemic to the Atlantic Forest in conjunction with a lab at Sao Paolo University. Another main part of my work was helping to implement a mushroom inventory process for the reserve to begin to collect, identify and catalogue mushroom species and track and maintain mushroom biodiversity. I completed scientific article research to gain updated and background information on current mushroom species identified in the Atlantic Forest and growing methods across many different cultivated and non-cultivated species. I worked to maintain mushroom mycelium cultures by replication involving media preparation, clean room, Laminar flow hood and autoclave use and sterilization practices. I helped support the Volunteer Manager with integrating and familiarizing new volunteers with the reserve and field station. Aside from all this I had the opportunity to support multiple projects including amphibian monitoring of Bd fungus effects, bioacoustics tracking, camera trap tracking, tree inventory, habitat monitoring of ponds, fish inventory of local stream, aquaponics system setup and gardening tasks. I definitely recommend IPBIO!

Matteo

IPbio

One of the most beautiful places where i’ve ever been. I did volunteering in the nature, in the Atlantic Forest and it was cool. I loved the projects, the Reserva and the Iporanga’s people.
The staff is very prepared and gentle if you miss some information. A very good experience that I can advice to everyone! There are a lot of fun weekend activities, caves, waterfall, beaches and boia crossing were very cool.

Carys

Wow! What a trip!

I somehow stumbled across volunteering at the reserve online whilst looking for a fun/productive way to spend my summer and I am so thankful that I did! I’m a Geography and SD major from the UK so I was drawn to the programme because of the range of activities available across trees, mammals, birds, mushrooms and amphibians, all set within the Atlantic Forest.

I have loved waking up knowing that my work would be different each day with some projects more relaxed than others and some work being weather dependent (i.e. fish inventory typically on sunny days). My favourite projects have been those that mean I can go into the forest such as tree, mushroom and bird inventories. Every time I go into the forest I see something amazing- whether that is a giant toad, cool mushroom or for those lucky enough- monkeys!! I would highly recommend volunteering at the reserve to anyone with an interest in the environment- you don’t have to be a scientist- just someone who can appreciate the natural world around them.

Outside of project work, I have loved getting to know the other volunteers from around the world and the amazing staff, who go above and beyond to make your time here as enjoyable as possible. Spending my evenings and weekends with the other volunteers here has been the highlight of my trip with many incredible visits to the caves around Iporanga, a trip to Cananeia to see the dolphins, group cooking sessions, meals out and so much laughter. I have enjoyed every second and want to say a massive thank you to everyone who I have met here for making my experience one that I will never forget!

Obrigada!!

The only thing I can think of is that I would have loved to spend a little bit of time in the lab- just to experience the more scientific aspect of the research here. Having said that, I really loved being out in the field everyday as there was always something exciting to see!
Gaby

Great Volunteer Experience

I stayed at the Betary Reserve for about 10 weeks from June to August. This has been such an amazing experience. The people here definitely made the stay what it was - Imran and Marleen are both great to work for, the staff has been super friendly, and the other volunteers have made this trip what it was. I do not speak any Portuguese, so it was not always easy to communicate with the others who work here, but they made an effort to engage which was super nice of all of them. The science done here is not super rigorous, so if you are looking to gain lab skills this might not be the best place for you. But if you are looking to understand the enjoyment, as well as challenges, of doing field science this is a great place. For the most part, the Betary Reserve provides a chill work environment. The work is not super physically or mentally demanding, and not all the projects feel as purposeful as others, but they were all enjoyable. I was here in the winter, so it wasn't very hot, humid, or rainy, but it should be mentioned that the winter down here can get cold. I definitely did not prepare the best for this, so if you come in the winter I would suggest a decently warm sweater or jacket (some nights I would need to wear all of my clothes to stay warm - but luckily most days and nights were not too bad). The volunteer home is nice (and currently a new one is being built). I had a private room in a dorm style living space - although there are some shared rooms and it seems that it is just the luck of the draw on which one you get placed in. We have access to a laundry machine, and even in the winter, the clothes dried pretty well outside (sunny days help). The weekend activities range from hiking through caves and waterfalls to town parties in the small, yet surprisingly social and fun town of Iporanga. I would definitely recommend the Betary Reserve as a volunteer experience! (This is an honest review, but it should be mentioned that we are guided and given time in the last week to write reviews so that future volunteers can have a better picture of the work and experiences created at the Betary Reserve).

Really hard to say where this program could be improved because it is so great already, but if I am to give an area of improvement it would be the rigor of the science - this can be hard with a variety of volunteers coming and going all the time, but making sure the standards are followed is important.
Lloyd

Once in a lifetime

When recalling my experience at The Betary Reserve, I can’t help but smile so big. The time spent trekking through the North Atlantic Forrest collecting data on its diverse wildlife and plant life were some of the best memories I have. It's truly a hands on experience. If you like to get out into the wild, this is the volunteer experience for you. I also want to make note that one of the greatest unexpected things that will happen is you will form amazing bonds with fellow volunteers and staff members of the reserve, not to mention the incredible people of Iporanga. Please go, and learn, and create memories that will last a lifetime.

I think everyone comes to the reserve with a certain role attached to them as to what they will be doing. But ultimately most of us ended up doing a little of everything, or I guess it felt as if sometimes we were just doing whatever the staff needed help with. Which was fine but it didn't feel like I was really immersed in my selected role. I had a great time though and don't regret anything.
Dayron

Research and more!

Hello Everyone, I am an Environmental Engineering major from Miami Florida and my last two months have been spent volunteering at Betary Reserve. The position that I undertook coming in was a Biological Research Assistant, this is a more specialized role in comparison to one of the other options such as eco-volunteer. Let me run through a typical day at the Reserve, we start our mornings at 9am with a group meeting detailing the task which we will be doing. In the morning the volunteers are usually together working on different inventory projects, some of the inventory are fish, tree, bird, mushroom, and habitat monitoring. In the afternoons I had a specialized project in which I was working with amphibians and was studying the effects of a deadly fungus called BD for short. It was great lab work experience and I really enjoyed my time working on these projects. The facilities at Betary Reserve were beyond amazing and they are just finishing up the new volunteer guest house which will be a great addition to the program. If you are looking for an organization to do research or gain some insight on what biological field research looks like than it will be a great fit. The staff is extremely friendly and I would consider them close friends after two months of being here. The volunteer coordinator goes above and beyond the call of duty and has been extremely helpful with even the smallest of inconveniences. Overall my time at Betary Reserve is one that I will never forget, the small town community, research experience, and working for a NGO that is making a difference is one that I will never forget.

Kareem

Best time of my life

The projects that we work on here at Betary Reserve are very educational and fun. From tagging trees to monitor forest growth to collecting macroinvertebrates to monitor habitats everything we do is for a very important cause. It is great to reap the benefits of the work that we do, for example we planted cassava and another day we had a cassava party where we made them into fries, baked them, and made cakes with them. Another great thing about Betary Reserve is how everything is organized very well, however at the same time the volunteer coordinators are flexible and are always willing to accept suggestions to make the projects or all around living better here at Betary Reserve. For example, after seeing that I do a lot of work with aquaponics back home, Imran wanted me to come to Betary Reserve and install a number of systems here, and I did just that. Not only did I just do that, but had the time of my life doing it and working with the people here to make things happen.

The only thing I can think of to improve the program is to make it bigger so that more people can have this great experience.
Lauren

Amazing Program

I have spent the past two months volunteering at IPBio as an eco-volunteer and I couldn’t image a better way to have spent my summer. This position was amazing because I had the opportunity to participate in and learn about many different projects such as tree, bird, mushroom and fish inventory as well as habitat monitoring. I was also able to focus my time working with frogs in the lab. The lab and field experiences I had here allowed me to learn so much as well as be active and hands on with the projects. The staff and other volunteers made the experience even better. I have never met a more welcoming, friendly and supportive group of people. Every day here is a new adventure whether it is at work or exploring the area on the weekends. There is not ever a shortage of things to do here if you like to explore nature and hike. My time here is something I’ll forever be grateful for and always remember.

Rowan

I truly discovered my passion in life here!

My time at IPBio was absolutely unforgettable! During my two month stay, I served as a research assistant for the numerous amphibian studies, as well as an eco-volunteer, assisting with various other projects in the field. Every day, I spent either the morning or the afternoon in the lab with tadpoles and frogs; I did everything from feeding them and cleaning tanks, to measuring lengths, taking masses, and photographing them under microscopes for data collection!

The other half of my day was spent in the field, overseen by the lovely and super knowledgeable Marleen, collecting data for a variety of other projects at IPBio. One of my favorites was wading in the river to gather temperature and velocity of the water, analyze the substrate composition, and catch fish to get a better idea of the species diversity in the environment. Another awesome project I got to help with was the pond habitat monitoring, which was set up by a fellow volunteer during my time at IPBio. Lily created a monitoring system to track the health of a variety of aquatic habitats on the reserve, and once a week we would collect data from one of the ponds, rotating through them over the weeks. My favorite part was probably identifying the macro-invertebrate species in each pond, which required us to sift through a small sample size that we collected, picking out a variety of insect larvae, tiny crustaceans, snails, and aquatic worms to identify.

Not only were the projects here so interesting and fun, they were impeccably well organized. The staff were so supportive and helpful, and fun as well! Being my first time out of my home country, they made the process as smooth as humanly possible, and Imran answered all of my silly little questions graciously and quickly before my arrival. Accommodations were better than I could have ever expected, when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised by the luxury of having my very own AC unit in my room! Adriana is not only an absolute sweetheart, but keeps everything at IPBio sparkling clean 24/7. I honestly don’t know how she does it! Anna and Henrique are so so knowledgeable in their fields, and taught me so much about the Atlantic Forest’s ecosystem and biodiversity. My fellow volunteers during my stay were all so interesting and wonderful, it was an honor and pleasure to get to know them, for whatever the length of time our paths crossed.

The weekend trips I had the opportunity to experience were truly astounding, and just opened my eyes even more to how stunning and unique Brazil is. It is SO worth budgeting out some extra money to go on at least one of the trips, whether it’s relaxing on the beach in Cananaeia and watching dolphins play basically right by the shore, or hiking deep into the jungle to see the largest cave opening in the world, you will not be disappointed.

I had no idea how passionate about amphibians I would become while here in Brazil- being an Ecology and Environmental Science student in the US, I was drawn to IPBio’s projects in general, but had no special interest in amphibians. After my time volunteering, I have decided to go on for my masters and hopefully become a PhD candidate in herpetology down the line! They are fascinating creatures and I think anyone who has the chance should get to know them a little better; they are an important bioindicator for many biomes, and can tell us so much about the health of the environments they inhabit. So, thank you IPBio for igniting this passion in me, and for giving me the opportunity to find it! I hope to return soon, and see all of the wonderful people (and frogs) I got to know during my stay. Obrigada, Brazil <3

Kelsey

Thank you IpBio!

My experience at Reserva Betary was all I could have asked for. I was able to work on a personal bioacoustics project that allowed me to learn a new software and data management technique while enjoying the immense beauty of the Atlantic Forest with inspiring and motivated individuals. The internship provided the perfect balance of freedom to meet my research requirements and support at every step of the process. It was really an ideal way to learn skills as new and exciting as bioacoustic analysis without the stress of sitting in an office, plus the ability to assist in a variety of other field projects. IpBio is very unique in the very high level of support volunteers are provided in conjunction with the of ecological field protocols performed efficiently and professionally.

I could not even imagine a better workplace, constantly surrounded by hummingbirds, butterflies, and endemic palms. The staff at the reserve are among the most warmhearted individuals I have encountered. The work being done at the reserve is performed with utmost sensitivity to the sustainability of the landscape as well as the locals whose livelihoods depend on the natural heritage of the area. All volunteers are seamlessly integrated into this conservation work. I highly recommend the experience and am grateful for the opportunity to have assisted this organization in any way.

The bioacoustics program is just beginning, but now that it has started, set protocols from literature would be very helpful.
Vladislav

Great team in the Atlantic Forest

I have volunteered at Betary Reserve for two months and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. The field research station and the nature in the reserve are absolutely beautiful. Everyone, from staff to the volunteer coordinators, are extremely attentive, supportive and patient and overall form a great team. The volunteer coordinators greatly care about the well-being of the volunteers, proactively encourage feedback on what could be improved on a daily basis, are very open to new ideas (in fact, a few of the long-running projects are volunteer-initiated) and greatly appreciate your work. As an Eco Volunteer I enjoyed the diversity of data collection tasks that I was given. Coming from a non-ecology-related background, I learned various new things in terms of ecological issues and data collection methods. In terms of free-time activities, I haven’t had a single weekend during the program without at least one group activity, such as a hike to a cave, that most, if not all volunteers eagerly join. All in all, my volunteer in Betary Reserve has been both an enriching and enjoyable experience in which I met great new people. Highly recommend!

Marta

Beautiful!

It was such a beautiful experience to work at IPBio, the volunteers I have worked with were international and really friendly. The staff was prepared, helpful and fun. The main activities were monitoring the habitat of ponds in the reserve, do an inventory of the trees, of the mushrooms, of the fish, gardening, do creative projects for the institute and more.
The place is beautiful, peaceful and it was really hard to leave. I highly reccomend this to whoever is interested in nature, insects, birds, amphibia

About IPBio - Biodiversity Research Institute

The Biodiversity Research Institute (IPBio) is a place where research meets conservation. IPBio is a non-governmental, non-profit organization that develops and supports projects in environmental education and scientific research on biodiversity,...