Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Brazil

Futebol!
Beautiful Rio - Parque de Tijuca. Lots of great climbs, walks and magnificent views to explore.
View from Cristo
Free blocos or street parties, where everyone dresses up!
Escadaria Selaron

Trusted by 100,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Rio de Janeiro and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Brazil and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer hostel, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Brazil, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Brazil:

• Teaching English
  • Childcare
  • Sports
  • Carnaval
  • Community Development
  • IVHQ’s Brazil program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $525 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 20 and 50 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Rio de Janeiro each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 100,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Sofia

Best experience in Brazil

Going to Brazil with IVHQ has been a dream come true. I've always wanted to go to Brazil and going there on the community development program made the experience a thousand times better. IVHQ was extremely helpful from the beginning until my departure from Rio. The local team was always there to assist me in anything that I needed. Meeting the other volunteers was amazing because I got to make friends from all over the world and hence, not only did I get to know the Brazilian culture but also cultures from other countries. I was placed teaching English to low resource children with cancer and having the satisfaction of knowing that they were learning another language was the best part by far. I felt that I was actually doing something significant that can change a child's life regardless of their health. I would recommend IVHQ 100% and I would volunteer abroad with them again.

My advice is to learn at least a little bit of Portuguese because very few people speak English in Brazil. Also, I would advise them to keep in mind the main point of the trip which is to volunteer and help the community.
Isahi

Brazil Adventure

Brazil is the biggest country in South America, it has various amounts of people from all races, and it has many cultures. During my trip to Brazil, I was expecting it to be a good experience, and I was far from right. From the gorgeous landscapes to the affordable food Brazil definitely had a place in my heart. The local people of Rio de Janeiro, "Carioca's," are some of the nicest people on the planet. They're also some of the busiest, the metro is busy, and people are always trying to get to point A to B. IVHQ made my trip extremely affordable for me, and helped me gain a new perspective on the world. I volunteered in the childcare program, and I'll remember the people from the Cantegalo favela for the rest of my life. The impact that I made for the short two weeks is enough for my heart to last a lifetime.

What was your funniest moment?
When I went to Ilha Grande, and I thought I saw Argentina.
Mariah

2 Weeks in Rio

I went to Rio de Janeiro for two weeks and it was the best two weeks of my life so far. It was easy for me to adjust to the culture because I had spent two years studying Brazil, learning Portuguese and I also have some friends that live in Niterói and Florianópolis.

I felt right at home from the minute I got there. The other volunteers were amazing and they matched my excitement and enthusiasm.

Brazil is not perfect at all and I saw this when I went to Gamboa, a favela, to teach group fitness classes. It was sad at times, but helping those people work out or simply smile and forget about their problems was an indescribable feeling.

IVHQ was the only study abroad program I could afford and I would definitely travel with them again. If you are wondering about whether or not you should travel. Just go for it. It's worth it.

Learn the language if you can! Invest in the culture and history. Don't just pick a place because it sounds cool or looks pretty. Get involved and it will be worth more of your time and money.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mariah, Thanks for your lovely feedback - it's great to hear that you felt at home in Rio and enjoyed meeting the other volunteers from around the world! The local team are missing you already and said you were an incredible, dedicated volunteer! We hope to have you join another program in the future. Charlotte - IVHQ Program Manager.

Flor

Amazing Experience

I really loved my time as a volunteer in Brazil. I got to help out in a summer camp with wonderful kids, ages ranging from 5-13. I got to experience what it was like to live as a local and try their cultural food. My free time in the weekend was well spent exploring the area as well as learning more about the culture and their language. I will never forget my days in Brazil, it’s definitely an experience I will remember forever. They have many programs to choose from and many countries to go to. If I could I would go to all of them because it’s that amazing. The prices are affordable and the programs offered are amazing. You won’t regret your time as a volunteer. I definitely look forward to volunteering again because it’s that amazing. I didn’t want to leave my volunteer program in Brazil, I wanted to stay there forever. I never thought I would make it to Brazil, but thanks to the IVHQ program I was able to make my dream come true.

Mubin

Rio 2017 - Sports Development (2 weeks)

Truly a remarkable experience! This was my first volunteer experience and I have to say IVHQ made it easy for me throughout the planning stages to actually stepping foot in Rio. The team in Rio was really sweet and made you feel at home. Pick-up, accommodation, support, placement and most of all the other volunteers were beyond my expectation! In a way I felt like I got lucky with the group I was with but after conversations with the team and others who have volunteered before you will see this is an IVHQ thing, being surrounded by like minded folks who genuinely want to give back.

I did the sports development project which was in a beautiful setting, the community was nice and welcoming to us. If was pretty safe because the school and soccer field were close to each other and to top it off everyday there was at least 2 or 3 police officers posted in front. The commute is simple, you'll get a hang of things within days and there are several inexpensive places to eat at. The coach and the kids were the highlight of my trip, they are full of energy and will school in soccer so be prepared! I got to do a bit of both in my placement, first half you spend in the classroom and then you go play soccer. We did this twice, once with the morning class and then again with the afternoon class (9am - 3pm, Mon. - Thurs.).

Overall the place we stayed at was great and safe as long as you follow all the protocol I think Brazil is what you make it out to be. That is what the orientation is for so ask away if you have questions and stick with your group. Very cost effective place so no need to carry a ton of cash with you, just know your budget. Ton of options to buy food (they have uber eats!) or cook your own food. Plenty of time to go out, do activities and make the most of your time in Rio. I was there for 2 weeks and am satisfied with everything I did because I was always ready to do something did not matter what it was. Just be open minded and go with flow, I think that is the best way to approach any volunteer or study abroad experience and glad it turned out to be an amazing experience.

Highly recommend IVHQ and looking forward to doing my next one with them! I will miss you Rio!!

I think there is a lot of information to take in when you arrive. Perhaps a bit more information prior to arriving that can help you prepare and then when you get there give some refreshers so you can apply what you learned. The accommodation was great but will no longer exist, so I would highly recommended finding a similar place because that house did change our experience significantly.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mubin, Thanks for sharing! We're happy to have helped make the planning stages easy for you and we are stoked to hear that your time in Brazil was a truly remarkable experience. We love our volunteers and are not surprised to hear that you were surrounded by an awesome bunch of people. Thanks for recommending IVHQ and we can't wait to see where you will volunteer with us next!
Charlotte - IVHQ Brazil Program Manager

Jocelyn

My 3 weeks in Rio

Brazil is the first country I have visited in South America and I was very surprised by the lack of English speakers in Rio. Regardless of the language barrier, I had an amazing time in Rio with other volunteers and the locals at my placement. All the locals were very friendly and were willing to help. Safety is a huge concern but I didn't feel in danger at any time during my visit. Just try to dress casually and keep a low profile, only take what you need for the day. Overall, it was an amazing experience that I would absolutely repeat if I had the chance!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jocelyn, We are so glad to hear that you had an amazing time in Rio and we hope to have you join us again in the future!
Charlotte - IVHQ Brazil Program Manager

Hannah

Rio 2016

My time in Rio was my first time leaving my own country in Australia. So you would think that it would no doubt be a little overwhelming. However the team and other volunteers in Rio made me feel so welcome and at home the instance i arrived. The house atmosphere was such a good/positive vibe filled with happy people.
Before leaving for Rio, the media were hyping up the dangers etc particularly with the Olympics upcoming. However, once being exposed to the city, i did not encompass one bad experience and there is nothing to worry about if you use a little common sense.
The team members went above and beyond to make my time in Rio memorable and an experience that i would never forget. Being surrounded by such helpful people really allowed me to explore Rio in a way that you never could if you were just a typical tourist. I got to see the favelas from a local who has lived there his whole life. This never would have been possible if you were just touring Brazil.
Therefore, i think Rio is a perfect location to volunteer if you want to experience a city that is full of amazing views and activities with outstanding team members to help you along the way.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hannah, It’s nice to hear from you. We are so glad that you had such a warm and happy atmosphere to greet you when you arrived in Rio, what a great start to your experience. It sounds like you had an amazing first trip overseas and we would love to see you on another of our programs in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Fahim

Brazil-Rio-Sports Program

I arrived in Rio to be greeted by the IVHQ driver, who transferred us to the IVHQ house. The entire time I spent in Rio was amazing, the people are amazing, the city itself is unreal. If you love a view, then Rio would be the place for you. Nearly everywhere in Rio provides a dramatic view of the city or the beach. Especially the favelas, which are quite high in the sky, they provide unreal views of the city. The food is next level nice over there, especially the cheese.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Fahim, We are so glad that you had an amazing time in Rio! We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Annie

Awesome experience!

My time in Rio with the other volunteers was hands down one of the best experiences of my life!
Helping on the Carnavale program was incredible and the level of industry and passion I witnessed and shared was inspiring. As I am an Art teacher in Australia, I found the immersion in the Carnavale culture exciting and educational - I can't wait to share it with my students.

As I was quite a bit older than the other volunteers and on my Long Service Leave, I was relieved to discover that, it turns out - age doesnt matter at all! There were so many people of different ages, backgrounds and personalities, there was always someone to share the fun with. Did I mention how much fun the Lapa night life and beaches are???
If you really want to connect with the locals and immerse yourself in the culture, this is the perfect way to travel. You will get so much more from the experience and you will be helping out and making a little difference in the lives of others. The level of support you will recieve will help you to stay safe - I was so glad I had the IVHQ network around me.
I encourage you to give it a go! You will come away touched by a beautiful city, lifelong friends and a yearning to go back.

The house still needs a litle more attention to run optimally, but it was new, and those improvements will happen.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Annie, It's so nice to hear from you!! We are so glad that your time in Rio was so positive. It sounds like you had the ultimate volunteer abroad experience and we are glad we could facilitate this for you. It is really great to have you as an IVHQer and we hope to have you on another program soon!

Read my full story
Karrah

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Volunteering in Brazil completely changed my whole perspective on the world. My problems back home seemed minuscule compared to the problems I saw in Rio De Janeiro. It is crazy how different they live there compared to the United States. I recommend this program to anyone that enjoys culture shock and is open to new life experiences. I worked with the Carnaval program and it was amazing to be able to see the floats and elaborate costumes before the parade took place. It is absolutely beautiful there. I will forever cherish my time in Brazil!

The Carnaval project could use more supplies. Often times the volunteers would need to take turns due to the lack of supplies.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Karrah, Thanks for sharing a little from your experience volunteering in Brazil, it sounds like you had a really memorable time in Rio. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Mandy

Brazil - Old, New, Wonder and Food!

During the course of this program I was able to starting learning a new language, see old friends, make new ones, visit a Wonder of the World, eat amazing food, and make a small impact in the local community. All for a reasonable price and with great support.

This program is still relatively new and there were a few kinks with the housing. The placement I was on was also better for one or two days of work at most but the coordinators were very open to suggestions and comments. They were very helpful.
Sharon

My dream come true

If I had the courage to travel to Brazil alone to volunteer anyone can do it! I was scared, nervous and anxious! and actually asked myself in the taxi to the host house 'what on earth am I doing here' but I had the biggest smile on my face!. Then you meet the amazingly beautiful people you will live with, which are now my friends for life!! When I first saw my placement for the first time I fell in love instantly! I could see the children playing football and just wanted to get stuck in straight away. I cherished every minute with them and the legend of Barreira do Vasco; Carlao. A very inspirational man, ex professional footballer and present football coach to the children and young people living within this area. My only regret is not being able to speak fluent Portuguese as this prevented me from truly getting to know the children and their lives. Volunteering in Brazil I have learnt a lot about myself and I am not the same person I was before this journey began. I will forever be grateful to IVHQ and more so JIVE (Vivi and Zac) for helping me achieve my dream. DO IT GUYS! DO IT! :)

My program was very close to being perfect! Barreira do Vasco had everything! I had the opportunity to support English class, play football and when the children were at school, I would go up to the community development class. However one thing I think should be considered is a new requirement for all volunteers to complete a minimum of a month program. Anything less is not good for the children as it could be causing more upset and upheaval than good.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sharon, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we love that you had such a positive experience in Rio. It sounds like you had a quintessential IVHQ experience - solo travelling to a country abroad that you have never been to, nervous and at the same time excited. Then you realise you are not alone and you share your enthusiasm with other solo volunteer travellers. Great advice to future volunteers, we couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for being an IVHQer.

Crish

Summer spent well

My three months volunteering in Rio will always be a cherished highlight. With a background in support work and aid-teaching back at home, it was such a eye-opening experience to teach English in a country totally foreign in every aspect to me!

To be brutally honest, I remember the first week feeling quite 'shocked'/disorientated with my surroundings, as it was my first time travelling to a developing country solo - but I am so grateful for the support given from both Zac and Vivi. From formal introductions to our projects to proactive advice on how to travel smartly around the city, Zac and Vivi do a fabulous job at making you feel at ease and confident living in such a new (but very exciting!) environment. What I admired most about volunteering with the program was the ongoing support you received which was genuinely dished out whenever needed, selflessly! If you choose to volunteer with Jive, I have no doubt you will feel at home so easily thanks to these support these guys provide!

Looking back on my experience, I could have not asked for a better way to spend my summer. Not only do you immense yourself into a community, actively contribute to their growth and learn about the daily challenges they face, but you will create such strong friendships with fellow volunteers (and maybe a few locals too!) that are bound to last a lifetime. If you're thinking about volunteering with Jive, I have no doubt you will also be in great hands! The greatest challenge you'll have is saying goodbye (good luck with that!).

There are times were the project felt a little unorganised but it was never a major issue - it's something that Jive doesn't have total control on but nevertheless, the staff at the projects are usually so appreciative for your presence and even more grateful when you're willing to assist them in tasks in addition to the ones you signed up for.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Crish - thanks so much for the amazing review. We are glad that you felt supported by the team in Brazil and built strong relationships with both fellow volunteers and locals. Thanks for being an IVHQer! Hope that you join us on another program in the future.

Iesha

Experience you'll never forget!

This program has allowed me to gain experiences that I will always remember. From the volunteer sites to the friendships you'll make to exploring Brazil, there isn't one moment you won't love! If you ever get a chance to participate, do it with no hesitations.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Lesha, we are so thrilled that you have gained new experiences while Volunteering with IVHQ in Brazil! No hesitations - that's an amazing attitude! Thanks for the review.

Monica

The best two months of my life.

Volunteering with JIVE for two months was the best and happiest time of my life. I was in the hands of amazing people who genuinely cared about us and did everything to help us to feel comfortable. During my time there I was very ill, and the coordinators were there for me all the way - and I'm talking about leaving our house at 6am in order to be the first to be seen by doctors. They supported me so much and gave us the best experience. I was lucky enough to experience two different types of programs - Childcare and Teaching English and both have impacted me in ways I never thought it would. After two months, I went back home with a different outlook on life. I'm so more grateful of the things I have in my life and I can not say this enough times but this experience really was the best thing that ever happened to me and changed me forever. I also made best friends FOR LIFE from other places of the world and I'm so blessed to of met the amazing people that were there. We now all share this amazing bond and experience together that none else will ever know or understand, no matter how many time we talk about our experience to other people. I'm so happy to of made this decision to come on board with JIVE, and really just stress how amazing your life will be if you guys go on board with this company! Rio has now a great place in my heart, and I can't wait to graduate University in two years to return back to this amazing place with this great company :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey there Monica! Thanks so much for your review. It's so cool that you have made friends for life and that your IVHQ Volunteer experience has changed your outlook! We can't wait to have you back on board as a Volunteer with us at IVHQ :-)

Alumni Interviews

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...