Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Brazil from $365

Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Brazil from $365

Volunteer abroad in Brazil with IVHQ! Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects in Brazil. Based in the vibrant city of Rio de Janeiro, volunteers are welcomed to assist on a range of community-driven projects. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks are accommodated in a volunteer house alongside other international volunteers.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Brazil:

• Teaching English
  • Childcare
  • Sports
  • Carnaval
  • Community Development
  • One Week Experience

• Programs available year-round, starting on the second Monday of each month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $365 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 20 and 40 IVHQ volunteers start in Brazil each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Bali with fellow volunteers - visit the Sugar Loaf Islands, Christ the Redeemder, Iguazu Falls and more!
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
Brazil Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

Hannah
Parkes, NSW
Charles Sturt University

Rio 2016

My time in Rio was my first time leaving my own country in Australia. So you would think that it would no doubt be a little overwhelming. However the team and other volunteers in Rio made me feel so welcome and at home the instance i arrived. The house atmosphere was such a good/positive vibe filled with happy people.
Before leaving for Rio, the media were hyping up the dangers etc particularly with the Olympics upcoming. However, once being exposed to the city, i did not encompass one bad experience and there is nothing to worry about if you use a little common sense.
The team members went above and beyond to make my time in Rio memorable and an experience that i would never forget. Being surrounded by such helpful people really allowed me to explore Rio in a way that you never could if you were just a typical tourist. I got to see the favelas from a local who has lived there his whole life. This never would have been possible if you were just touring Brazil.
Therefore, i think Rio is a perfect location to volunteer if you want to experience a city that is full of amazing views and activities with outstanding team members to help you along the way.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hannah, It’s nice to hear from you. We are so glad that you had such a warm and happy atmosphere to greet you when you arrived in Rio, what a great start to your experience. It sounds like you had an amazing first trip overseas and we would love to see you on another of our programs in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Fahim
Sydney
Charles Sturt University

Brazil-Rio-Sports Program

I arrived in Rio to be greeted by the IVHQ driver, who transferred us to the IVHQ house. The entire time I spent in Rio was amazing, the people are amazing, the city itself is unreal. If you love a view, then Rio would be the place for you. Nearly everywhere in Rio provides a dramatic view of the city or the beach. Especially the favelas, which are quite high in the sky, they provide unreal views of the city. The food is next level nice over there, especially the cheese.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Fahim, We are so glad that you had an amazing time in Rio! We would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Annie
Dunsborough, Western Australia
Murdoch University

Awesome experience!

My time in Rio with the other volunteers was hands down one of the best experiences of my life!
Helping on the Carnavale program was incredible and the level of industry and passion I witnessed and shared was inspiring. As I am an Art teacher in Australia, I found the immersion in the Carnavale culture exciting and educational - I can't wait to share it with my students.

As I was quite a bit older than the other volunteers and on my Long Service Leave, I was relieved to discover that, it turns out - age doesnt matter at all! There were so many people of different ages, backgrounds and personalities, there was always someone to share the fun with. Did I mention how much fun the Lapa night life and beaches are???
If you really want to connect with the locals and immerse yourself in the culture, this is the perfect way to travel. You will get so much more from the experience and you will be helping out and making a little difference in the lives of others. The level of support you will recieve will help you to stay safe - I was so glad I had the IVHQ network around me.
I encourage you to give it a go! You will come away touched by a beautiful city, lifelong friends and a yearning to go back.

The house still needs a litle more attention to run optimally, but it was new, and those improvements will happen.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Annie, It's so nice to hear from you!! We are so glad that your time in Rio was so positive. It sounds like you had the ultimate volunteer abroad experience and we are glad we could facilitate this for you. It is really great to have you as an IVHQer and we hope to have you on another program soon!

Karrah
Reno, Nevada
University of Nevada Reno

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Volunteering in Brazil completely changed my whole perspective on the world. My problems back home seemed minuscule compared to the problems I saw in Rio De Janeiro. It is crazy how different they live there compared to the United States. I recommend this program to anyone that enjoys culture shock and is open to new life experiences. I worked with the Carnaval program and it was amazing to be able to see the floats and elaborate costumes before the parade took place. It is absolutely beautiful there. I will forever cherish my time in Brazil!

The Carnaval project could use more supplies. Often times the volunteers would need to take turns due to the lack of supplies.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Karrah, Thanks for sharing a little from your experience volunteering in Brazil, it sounds like you had a really memorable time in Rio. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Mandy
Virginia Beach, VA

Brazil - Old, New, Wonder and Food!

During the course of this program I was able to starting learning a new language, see old friends, make new ones, visit a Wonder of the World, eat amazing food, and make a small impact in the local community. All for a reasonable price and with great support.

This program is still relatively new and there were a few kinks with the housing. The placement I was on was also better for one or two days of work at most but the coordinators were very open to suggestions and comments. They were very helpful.

Sharon
Birmingham,England
Newman University

My dream come true

If I had the courage to travel to Brazil alone to volunteer anyone can do it! I was scared, nervous and anxious! and actually asked myself in the taxi to the host house 'what on earth am I doing here' but I had the biggest smile on my face!. Then you meet the amazingly beautiful people you will live with, which are now my friends for life!! When I first saw my placement for the first time I fell in love instantly! I could see the children playing football and just wanted to get stuck in straight away. I cherished every minute with them and the legend of Barreira do Vasco; Carlao. A very inspirational man, ex professional footballer and present football coach to the children and young people living within this area. My only regret is not being able to speak fluent Portuguese as this prevented me from truly getting to know the children and their lives. Volunteering in Brazil I have learnt a lot about myself and I am not the same person I was before this journey began. I will forever be grateful to IVHQ and more so JIVE (Vivi and Zac) for helping me achieve my dream. DO IT GUYS! DO IT! :)

My program was very close to being perfect! Barreira do Vasco had everything! I had the opportunity to support English class, play football and when the children were at school, I would go up to the community development class. However one thing I think should be considered is a new requirement for all volunteers to complete a minimum of a month program. Anything less is not good for the children as it could be causing more upset and upheaval than good.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sharon, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we love that you had such a positive experience in Rio. It sounds like you had a quintessential IVHQ experience - solo travelling to a country abroad that you have never been to, nervous and at the same time excited. Then you realise you are not alone and you share your enthusiasm with other solo volunteer travellers. Great advice to future volunteers, we couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for being an IVHQer.

Crish
Melbourne, Victoria

Summer spent well

My three months volunteering in Rio will always be a cherished highlight. With a background in support work and aid-teaching back at home, it was such a eye-opening experience to teach English in a country totally foreign in every aspect to me!

To be brutally honest, I remember the first week feeling quite 'shocked'/disorientated with my surroundings, as it was my first time travelling to a developing country solo - but I am so grateful for the support given from both Zac and Vivi. From formal introductions to our projects to proactive advice on how to travel smartly around the city, Zac and Vivi do a fabulous job at making you feel at ease and confident living in such a new (but very exciting!) environment. What I admired most about volunteering with the program was the ongoing support you received which was genuinely dished out whenever needed, selflessly! If you choose to volunteer with Jive, I have no doubt you will feel at home so easily thanks to these support these guys provide!

Looking back on my experience, I could have not asked for a better way to spend my summer. Not only do you immense yourself into a community, actively contribute to their growth and learn about the daily challenges they face, but you will create such strong friendships with fellow volunteers (and maybe a few locals too!) that are bound to last a lifetime. If you're thinking about volunteering with Jive, I have no doubt you will also be in great hands! The greatest challenge you'll have is saying goodbye (good luck with that!).

There are times were the project felt a little unorganised but it was never a major issue - it's something that Jive doesn't have total control on but nevertheless, the staff at the projects are usually so appreciative for your presence and even more grateful when you're willing to assist them in tasks in addition to the ones you signed up for.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Crish - thanks so much for the amazing review. We are glad that you felt supported by the team in Brazil and built strong relationships with both fellow volunteers and locals. Thanks for being an IVHQer! Hope that you join us on another program in the future.

Iesha
Elmont, New York
Queens College

Experience you'll never forget!

This program has allowed me to gain experiences that I will always remember. From the volunteer sites to the friendships you'll make to exploring Brazil, there isn't one moment you won't love! If you ever get a chance to participate, do it with no hesitations.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Lesha, we are so thrilled that you have gained new experiences while Volunteering with IVHQ in Brazil! No hesitations - that's an amazing attitude! Thanks for the review.

Monica
London, UK
King's College London

The best two months of my life.

Volunteering with JIVE for two months was the best and happiest time of my life. I was in the hands of amazing people who genuinely cared about us and did everything to help us to feel comfortable. During my time there I was very ill, and the coordinators were there for me all the way - and I'm talking about leaving our house at 6am in order to be the first to be seen by doctors. They supported me so much and gave us the best experience. I was lucky enough to experience two different types of programs - Childcare and Teaching English and both have impacted me in ways I never thought it would. After two months, I went back home with a different outlook on life. I'm so more grateful of the things I have in my life and I can not say this enough times but this experience really was the best thing that ever happened to me and changed me forever. I also made best friends FOR LIFE from other places of the world and I'm so blessed to of met the amazing people that were there. We now all share this amazing bond and experience together that none else will ever know or understand, no matter how many time we talk about our experience to other people. I'm so happy to of made this decision to come on board with JIVE, and really just stress how amazing your life will be if you guys go on board with this company! Rio has now a great place in my heart, and I can't wait to graduate University in two years to return back to this amazing place with this great company :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey there Monica! Thanks so much for your review. It's so cool that you have made friends for life and that your IVHQ Volunteer experience has changed your outlook! We can't wait to have you back on board as a Volunteer with us at IVHQ :-)

Nicole
London
De Montfort University

Brazil - Construction in a Favela

*Disclaimer: IVHQ no longer works with Iko Poran*

A hands on approach to improving peoples lives - helping to build a home. Powerful, constructive, heart touching, rewarding and growthful. A life reinforcing experience - not to be missed. Thank you!

Offer a language course prior to visiting the country. (I did this under my own guidance - however it may be useful if this was offered by the organisation).

colella2
Chicago, IL
DePaul University

Rio has Soul

*Disclaimer: IVHQ no longer works with Iko Poran*

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP rang my alarm each morning at 8 AM. Shower, breakfast, bus. Project.

My mornings began playing soccer (i.e., 'futebol' in Portuguese) for two hours with the children in the comunidade I worked in. This was to avoid melting in the pleasant, but blistering Brazilian sun during the Summer. Fast forward: the last 2.5 hours of each day were spent teaching English to eager young minds in a community with a lack of educational structure.

What was the best part of each day? It was the seeing the smiles on the faces of the children and young adults as they proved to themselves that they COULD learn to speak English. One word at a time; one sentence at a time...they learned.

Rio de Janeiro is without a doubt different from anywhere else I have ever traveled. It is gorgeous, the people are beautiful and the fun never ends, but is important to stay street smart and listen to the advice from more experienced peers in order to adequately navigate the streets of the sometimes dangerous and unpredictable streets of this city.

Just as in any city, it is important to stay focused, know where you are going and to speak the native language. It is not imperative to be fluent in Portuguese prior to arriving in Rio, but it sure helps to know basic words and phrases.

Thinking about volunteering or studying abroad in Rio? DO IT! The experience will forever change you and the memories will last a lifetime.

-Michael

The in-country volunteer organization lacks proper management - the individuals involved can be a bit rude and disrespectful, but overall, they are pleasant enough. I would imagine they are simply overworked and underpaid.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing a review of your experience on our Brazil program. We're happy to hear you enjoyed facilitating the learning of your keen students and have fond memories from your time volunteering in Rio de Janeiro. Our Executive Director, Daniel Radcliffe, is currently visiting our Brazil program and is addressing your feedback in regards to the organisation of the program and attitude of the staff. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure your concerns are addressed with the local team. It is of utmost importance that each and every one of our programs is run in accordance with the high quality standards that IVHQ is renowned for so your feedback is of great value to us.

Volunteer
Plano, TX

I am a little disappointed in the Rio trip

*Disclaimer: IVHQ no longer works with Iko Poran*

I don't know who wrote the other two reviews, but they are a little bit generous in my opinion. I would say that I have had a really nice time in Rio on my weekends and evenings, but the program that I signed up to do didn't exist, so I ended up having to regroup and go with the flow, and teach English instead. The comment about the houses is really weird to me because, being that I am pretty low maintenance about living conditions I would say that a house coated in three layers of mold is not nice. The meal that they promise is really just some bread and maybe jam or something. Expect to buy all your own meals.
The money that is supposed to go back to the projects doesn't get seen by those who need it, which means if you want any supplies for your activities you can expect to pay for them out of your own pocket and those who run the Rio project get really aggressive if you ask them about this issue. They are incredibly unprofessional.
Please keep in mind that IVHQ has many projects around the world and the net work with many different organizations. I am only speaking on be half of the Rio trip.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

We are sorry to hear you are disappointed in your experience volunteering in Brazil. At IVHQ, we pride ourselves on the high quality experience we offer volunteers in each of the countries where we operate programs. We actively encourage our volunteers to share feedback and any concerns they may have with our local staff and IVHQ Program Coordinators, so any issues can be resolved as they arise, while volunteers are in country. All of our programs are visited on an annual basis by an IVHQ staff member to ensure we are consistently delivering a high quality experience for all volunteers. Our Brazil program was visited by our Executive Director in January this year and while he did not receive any complaints from volunteers about the accommodation or staff, we have ensured your concerns are addressed by our local team in Brazil. In regards to meals, volunteers are informed that in Brazil, breakfast is provided and volunteers must arrange their own lunch and dinner. While all three meals are included in the program fees for other IVHQ programs, it is made clear to volunteers prior to applying and after registering to volunteer in Brazil that only breakfast is provided on this program. We are glad to hear that despite your concerns, you still had a nice time in Rio and we trust you enjoyed your time spent with the other volunteers.

jw
New York, NY

Great Rio Experience

*Disclaimer: IVHQ no longer works with Iko Poran*

IVHQ in Rio is a very unique experience. You will not only get to see the favelas in a personal sense, but you will also get to have a lot of fun. The volunteer house community is close and going out in Lapa, or Ipanema, or whereever is common. Rio isnt the safest of cities, but the staff will help you to stay safe with some good advice.

qbnbrqa
NYC

A must!

*Disclaimer: IVHQ no longer works with Iko Poran*

I volunteered with Iko Poran's Carnaval Prep Program, which was a really great time. I helped a samba school produce their costumes and other decorations for their floats. It consisted of a lot of cutting and glue-gunning which isn't the most fun, but with that came great social interaction with my fellow co-workers, who were all locals. We taught each other phrases, exchanged music, and shared laughs. If you are planning to do this program, I would suggest you do it only if you are staying for Carnival. That way, you actually see your work come to life.

Iko Poran's volunteer house was really nice too. It was big so there were so many people to get to know -- giving you ample opportunity to bond and build lasting connections. The Portuguese classes were helpful, however, if you're on a budget and feel conflicted about taking them, I'd suggest using the money for something else.

All in all, the program is awesome and I suggest it to anyone and everyone. The program coordinator is super down-to-earth and provides a great rundown of what to expect from the program/culture/country.

The only problem I had was leaving.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to