TEFL Certification in Antigua, Guatemala

TEFL Certification in Antigua, Guatemala

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

North America » Guatemala » Antigua
Training Length
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel

I'm in the states right now....but looking forward to heading to Cambodia to teach at a school there. I was teaching for Oxford Language in Guatemala since 2 weeks after my certification.

• Benefits

Gabriel
Louisiana, USA
University of Mary Washington

This Course is Legit.

Last month I took Maximo Nivel's 150 hour TEFL Training course, and would highly recommend it to anyone considering teaching English as a foreign language. Claudia, our instructor, was fantastic: very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the practice of teaching TEFL, supportive and approachable yet completely willing to be tough when necessary. Among the benefits of taking a TEFL class abroad was the opportunity to observe other teachers and get extensive practice in teaching real, live English learners. Be forewarned: this is not in any way an easy course, and will require serious effort and attention from you, but the benefits of this rigorous training were very clear: each of us improved significantly as teachers over the month.
Antigua is a lovely and user-friendly Central American town, colorful colonial buildings and cobblestone streets surrounded by lush green mountains. All in all, an excellent preparation to be a TEFL teacher!

Asja

TEFL- instructor Karen rocks!

Thanks to my instructor Karen the TEFL- course was so much fun. She is so energetic, lovely and encouraging. It’s amazing to realize how much we learned in just 4 weeks. I especially liked the perfect balance between theory and practical learning. The last week we got the opportunity to teach a class everyday. Karen gave lots of feedback as she observed every class. I also loved all the people who worked at Maximo Nivel and of course it was a pleasure to live in Antigua for a month. If you are in doubt, don't doubt any longer... This TEFL- course has everything what you can possibly look for!

Carlos
Antigua
Texas A&M University

WOW

Such a great experience. The environment is so awesome. I learned so much and I am already a certified teacher before I came here. You cannot beat the location or the experience. Karen is an absolutely amazing Instructor. Her energy and love for teaching is contagious. Thomas is the steady headed Director who made you feel at home and comfortable being here. You will leave here with so much knowledge and with an appreciation for the mission here...to HELP. Absolutely recommend this for those who have the fire in their heart to help others and to teach...and hey, it doesn't hurt that the pace is located in one of the most beautiful towns in the world....and in one of the beautiful countries of the world!

Better accommodations for the students. Hostels are nice...but sharing restrooms and rooms with strangers....eh

Kathryn
Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville

Great Decision!

Maximo Nivel's TEFL program far exceeded my expectations. It was a very organized, supportive, enriching and life altering experience! Maximo Nivel staff was awesome. I am especially thankful for my TEFL instructor Karen who exemplified all of the ESL techniques in her own teaching style. She was super fun and made all the content interesting. She truly cares about every individual in her course. I never learned so much in such a short period of time. I feel well equipped for ESL work and excited to travel the world! Guatemala is also an incredible place and I highly recommend travel and learning there.

Anne
St. Louis, Missouri
Grand Canyon University

TEFL in Guatemala

If you are looking for a fun and interesting way to become TEFL certified, this is it. The course is a month long and prepares you to teach right away. It is easy to get a job right after completing the course. The instructor, Karen Wilke, is very thorough in her instruction and makes the course interesting and fun. Antigua is a beautiful colonial city, nearby many other Guatemala adventures. It is easy to get to Tikal, Copan, Lake Atitlan, and elsewhere from Antigua. Maximo Nivel is a very organized program, and will support you in any way needed!

Katherine
Mansfield, Ohio
Ohio State University

It was a dream of mine to become TEFL certified and to teach abroad for seven years. It took me a very long time to finally decide to do it, and a friend of mine told me about the training she had just gone through at Maximo Nivel; she said the course was very valuable and that the instructor was amazing. So I signed up at Maximo Nivel in La Antigua, Guatemala, and she was so right! I am thankful that I chose Maximo Nivel as my training facility. The four weeks of training were incredibly valuable and taught me so much. Karen is an incredible instructor, she excels at what she does and she is passionate about it! She brought so much energy and life to the class, she made us laugh so much, and she thorouhly prepared us for our new careers! Also, I chose the best country to receive my certification! Guatemala is beautiful and there is so much you can see and do here! Antigua is so beautiful with its colonial architecture and its scenic views of the surrounding volcanoes. Thank you Maximo Nivel and staff for helping my dream come true!

Ashley

Right Move for Me

I just finished my TESL/TEFL course, here in Antigua, Guatemala. And I had an awesome time! Not only was my instructor informative and energetic, but Antigua was the best place I could have chosen to take the course. The cobblestone streets enchant you as Fuego erupts (in the far off, and safe distance). I especially loved the practical teaching component, which enabled me to practice all the things I had been learning. Thank you for an experience I will never forget!

This program could be improved only by lowering their prices.

John
Antigua, Guatemala
Boise State University

Best month of my life

The title says it all. I cannot thank the crew at Maximo, especially my TEFL Trainer, Karen Wilke, enough for my time at Maximo in beautiful Antigua. Not only did they make Antigua feel like a home to me, but they helped me become the best teacher possible. The friends I made, the the things I saw, and the culture that I lived in make my time at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala one of the best best months of my life.

Christopher
Las Vegas, NV
University of Alaska- Fairbanks

Awesome Experience and and Exceptional Program

The TEFL certification course at Maximo Nivel in Guatemala was exemplary. The course instructor Karen is an inspiration and gives very personalized classes and feedback. The material for the course is well organized and makes understanding the critical ESL techniques understandable and clear. There are several opportunities throughout the course to apply learned material and teach real students. The final practical teaching week is one of challenges and growth, and you truly see your progress and abilities shine. Thanks to the wonderful staff at Maximo Nivel support to students is unparalleled. Everyone truly wants to contribute to your success. Lastly, Antigua is a wonderful place with amazing landscapes, cultures and people. I highly recommend this choice when considering TEFL certification.

Tom
Guatemala
University of Florida

A Fantastic Experience

If you are considering tackling the TEFL experience, I strongly advise you do it in Antigua Guatemala. The instructors know their craft well and will tailor their message to your learning style. The teachers and support staff are incredible. Everyone works towards the same goal of helping you reach certification. Believe me when I say that the Maximo team really does genuinely care for you. Every person works hard to ensure your experience at the school is a positive one. Attending class here is well worth your time and money.

It took me a little while to figure out how to pay for the course via the website. A bit more clarity on the web site would help.

A
California
Humboldt State University

Wish I could have spent more time there

I took the TEFL course as a hybrid student which worked great for me. I probably would not have been able to do it at all if it they hadn't had a hybrid option, however, I really wish I could have stayed longer! We had a great teacher and I learned a tremendous amount, both at home and in the classroom. Personally, I think I would have benefited by a little more in class practice, but who wouldn't? Overall I am incredibly thankful that the hybrid program was an option, and it worked out great with my job and budget. If you can take the full program though, do! And spend as much time in Antigua afterwards as possible!

Celeste
Guatemala City
LaGuardia Community College

Becoming a TEFLar Knight

After a lot of thought I finally decided to take the TEFL course and it was the best decision I could have made. During the course I was living in Guatemala City and leaving behind two daughters, one who was 5 months at the time, the trip to and from Máximo Nivel was hard. But as soon as I got off that chicken bus and walked down the beautiful streets of Antigua I felt happy, happy to see my friends, happy to learn and happy to sit in Karens class.

The lessons were intense yet Karens way of teaching made everything fun and easy to understand. Each and every class was new and exciting, she took her time to teach and made sure we all understood. You can tell that Karen cares deeply about her students. I can not think of anyone better for the job, Karen is an amazing TEFL trainer and a wonderful person.

Máximo Nivel is a great place to get your TEFL certification, the staff is super friendly and they are always willing to help out. The facilities are always clean and the view from Casa II is beautiful. I miss drinking my coffee and getting my work done as I enjoyed the view of the volcanoes. Not to mention the night I got to see a volcano erupt, that was the night we had out TEFL Toast. It was the perfect way to end such a wonderful experience.

If anyone still has any doubts about becoming TEFL certified, I say stop thinking about it and come to Antigua!

Miles
Detroit
Wayne State University

TEFL at Maximo Nivel

It was a great experience at Maximo Nivel. The program was well instructed, fun, and fulfilling. The staff and teachers here are incredible. I strongly recommend this program here! The character and charisma in our room alone was a lot to handle. WE had one of the biggest classes that MAximo has ever had. It is such a great opportunity. Don't let this opportunity go, there's such a great chance to experience Guatemala, learn how to teach, and bond with fellow classmates.

Carol
New Jersey
University of Colorado- Colorado Springs

Incredible Experience

I am not your typical TEFL-er. I am not in my 20's . I am not looking for a job to allow me to travel the world. Rather I am a retired anesthesiologist. In our community of Morristown New Jersey there is a tremendous need for someone to teach English to the many immigrants, so they can become productive citizens in their new country. Karen Wilke and Sarah were outstanding teachers. The course was packed with essential tools so that we could start teaching immediately upon completion of the course.. The key for me was that I was taught a method of teaching.and then was provided with ample opportunity to practice these techniques with actual students. A review of English Grammar was surprisingly essential!! As native speakers we give little thought to why we speak as we do. The Maximo Nivel organization provided great support and of course living for a month is Antigua, Guatemala in the winter was its own reward. Many students looking for jobs were hired on the spot I can not think of a better use for a month in your life.

Very efficiently run, packed with information, which was presented in a memorable and extertaining way. I have no suggestions.

McKinzie
Minnesota
Normandale Community College

Best TEFL experience ever!!!

From the moment I chatted on the phone with Maximo Nivel's support team I knew that I was choosing the best place for my TEFL certification. Having had visited Antigua many times before, I was sure that Guatemala was the best location for me. I can honestly say that Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations. The teachers, Karen and Sarah are beyond helpful, extremely educated in TEFL and more than anything, they want to see their students succeed!! Also, the support staff, administration, and my wonderful classmates made my experience spectacular. I will recommend Maximo Nivel forever!

Mariela
Guatemala
Texas Christian University

Come to Guatemala!!!

I just finished my Telf certification at Maximo Nivel Guatemala and the program is just fantastic!

Karen my teacher and Sarah her assistant did such a good job teaching, preparing and helping each and everyone in my group. Maximo Nivel is so lucky to have that quality of teachers on board, not only because they are saavy in the matter but because they have such passion for teaching others and such commitment to seeing everybody succeed. They for sure made the Tefl experience fun!

Doing Tefl in Antigua was such a treat. Antigua is such a cute colonial city. You can walk around everywhere, it has tons of yummy restaurants, plus a cool nightlife too.
I got to meet really cool people while learning about the art of teaching. The program is designed so that as you are learning, you are also putting into practice what you learn. For me that actual practical teaching experience was priceless. Not only because I was able to implement what I learned but also because I got feedback on how I could improve.

The professionalism and quality of service provided by Maximo Nivel was top notch. The staff was so well organized and so helpfull to all of us doing Tefl. Truly a wonderful team!! The school is beautiful, they have a cute garden where you can go eat, read or study. They also have a little shop on site if you want to buy snacks and a tour operator agent in case you need travel assitance. Plus the serve free coffee and tea all day!

Come to Guatemala! You will love it.

Linda
Canada

What an amazing experience

I have finished this course with an incredible amount of new knowledge and skills. I cannot believe how much I have progressed in a brief four weeks. With a great TEFL teacher, a supportive and helpful staff and a fabulous location in Antigua, what could be better?

I think the best part of this course aside from the thorough grounding one receives in how to teach, is the amount of practical teaching time. It's the doing that really sinks the lessons in.
Thank you Maximo (and Karen Wilke) for making this an amazing experience.

Sean
Washington, DC
American University

Come to Antigua! GET ON THE MAXIMO NIVEL

I am so glad that I chose Antigua, and particularly Maximo Nivel, to take my TEFL certification. At the heart of a small but beautiful city, Maximo Nivel provides more than your money's worth for this four week experience. Karen and Sarah have been the most passionate, fun, and engaging instructors, dedicated to our success. Colin is a fantastic manager who bends over backwards to make everyone feel at home, that every possible need is met and any problem dealt with swiftly and professionaly. Everyone at the international office helped me with everything I needed: Jorge, Nancy, Andrea, Mimi, and Wally are all gems. I loved my homestay family: Wendy and Paco are beautiful, kind people who I hung out with more than anyone else the whole month I was here, their sons are hilarious and fun and way better than me at Mortal Kombat. Enjoy this tremendously walkable, affordable city while taking a very practical step forward toward sustained travel and impactful teaching opportunities. You will make friends here, you will climb a volcano, you will dance salsa and eat guacamole, you will buy clothes from the Paca, you will love Karen and Sara, you will become a better teacher.

Colin is working on getting fiber optics put in to improve the wifi. Otherwise, no complaints!

Lydia
Tennessee

AMAZING

Ths course is amazing and I highly recommend it. Especially in Guatemala! Guatemala is a lovely country and Maximo does a great job of making you comfortable and safe. If you go to Guatemala you get to work with Karen and Sarah who are the best education teachers I have ever had. TEFL is such a wonderful certification to have and opens up many doors in many countries. Go get TEFL certified in Antigua, Guatemala!

Julia
Washington, Missouri

*Living the TEFL life*

First I will say to ANYONE that is considering becoming TEFL certified-- DO IT! Whether you are considering a career change, feel your life's lacking fulfillment, or just ready for a new adventure the TEFL course is your answer to ALL of the above.

I was working a job I hated, felt completely unfulfilled in life and knew there was more to life than what I was doing. After tossing around the idea and reading countless reviews I made the jump and it was the best decision I've ever made. I researched many schools and decided on Maximo Nivel in Antigua Guatemala. The city is bustling with culture, beautiful architecture and let's be honest... who doesn't want to look at a volcano while they drink coffee and work on class projects?

My TEFL trainer was Karen and to be honest if I had anyone else I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much. The course is not easy but Karen made every class fun and could turn even the most boring of subjects into something anyone could enjoy. She truly cares about all of her students and wants to see them be the best teacher/person they can be. She is the BATMAN of TEFL trainers!!!!
I graduated and am now teaching here in Guatemala and could not be happier :)
So I say... if you're thinking about making the change..DO IT!

Avery
Edmonton

TEFL in ANTIGUA GUATEMALA

I have been both a volunteer and a student with Maximo Nivel spending over 11 weeks working side by side with their programs and administration. Throughout my time in Guatemala, I was consistently given the support I needed to be beyond successful in my day to day tasks. Our TEFL trainer, Karen was out of this world. Class started around 9 am everyday and continued till about 4 pm with a 1 hour lunch break, giving you ample time to explore the local restaurants, market, and roam the beautiful cobble stone streets.

Going into the course, I had zero knowledge of where to start teaching had I been tossed into a classroom without training. Karen took the time to go at the pace of the students in her class, going into more detail and ensuring our total understanding. This intensive 150 hour course provided me with the knowledge and the confidence to be able to enter a class room with ESL students whom speak little to no English, create both daily and weekly lesson plans, and the confidence to toss everything I had planned out of the window in any scenario.

Antigua Guatemala is the most beautiful place on this planet. Although Guatemala has a reputation to be very dangerous, Antigua is a very safe place to walk around during the day and in groups at night. There is always something to do here in this vibrant city including hiking volcanos, surfing, night life, touring Guatemala City, taking a chicken bus, exploring the many different markets, and studying with Maximo Nivel.

Chelsea
Richmond

So glad I chose this one!

Karen (the TEFL trainer) is an awesome teacher! She makes the class fun, prepares you for teaching, and is a wealth of knowledge.

I received an undergrad degree in education and I still learned a ton and feel much better prepared to teach English.

I really appreciated the organization of Maximo Nivel and I think it’s hard not to fall in love with Antigua.

I looked into a lot of different programs for TEFL and am really glad I chose this program!

Andrew
1 year old
Fairlight

Nothing to worry about

I would really have try hard to thing of anything negative to say about my experience with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. Everything was fantastic. The staff, students, classmates, location, volunteers. I have nothing negative to say about my time with Maximo. Massive shout out to our TEFL teacher, Karen, who is a simply remarkable teacher as you will experience if you choose Maximo in Antigua.

Natalie
Aspen, Colorado

TEFL in Antigua

Doing my TEFL in Antigua was a great decision! If you want to teach, they really help you a lot. There is a lot more to teaching than meets the eye and Karen and Molly make sure you get in there. Especially their help through the practical teaching week is very important! It really sets up you to know what you need to work on to be ready to teach in a longer term setting. Also, Antigua is beautiful and so comfortable. Its safe, beautiful, and there are constant cultural events!

Shonagh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

A magical setting to take TEFL!

Not only is Antigua a beautiful city but the people you'll meet here are incredibly welcoming. The food is super tasty and there is a huge variety of activities going on every week, including hikes up volcanoes, live music as well as a huge choice of tours. You will be guided through the course by Karen, who is absolutely amazing! You will gain practical teaching experience and very helpful feedback to help you develop your techniques. You really will have a journey of a lifetime!

Kimberly
Temple, Texas

just do it!!!!!!!!

I just graduated from the TEFL course here in Antigua. After four and a half weeks, it breaks my heart to have to leave. The salsa dancing here is unbeatable, the food is reasonably priced and incredibly delicious. Check out the homemade, freshly grilled tortillas sold just about everywhere. This course made me fall in love with teaching. It was very hands-on and practical. I feel prepared to teach English anywhere! Job finding assistance was amazing. Also, shout out to Karen, the best TEFL trainer in existence.

Thomas
Williamsburg

Antigua - TEFL Course

Amazing town, Antigua! It's a very lovely place, especially to do a TEFL course. The TEFL course at Maximo is by far the best in terms of support, before and after the course, and the practicality of it. It's an intense class to say the least but it also prepares you the most. You do everything from observing actual teachers to getting a classroom of your own! You are truly prepared when you're finished. Kudos to Karen, our teacher, it was a great time. Knights of the TEFLar unite!

If the class had been a bit slower/longer I wouldn't have been so stressed. However, I did get sick the first week and Karen was great in encouraging me to finish up! Loved the course!

M Catherine
Savannah, Georgia

Rock Star Team

I live here. Yep. I was not looking for an overseas adventure. I knew about Maximo Nivel for several years. I'd walked past the sign to get my TEFL certification and considered it, but never with any real plan behind it. My family has decided after 3 years of living in this amazingly beautiful, serence, charming, delightful city and country, to relocate to Europe. I determined to get my TEFL certification before going as I knew I wouldn't have time in the first several months after relocating. And I finally had a plan. I've been acting and teaching theater for two years. Now I plan to offer theater classes to English language learners. Working on delivery, public speaking, dialogues (writing and performing), stage presence and all of that but with the underlying focus on moving their English up. I want to use acting to break through the fear of speaking. And to help creative people develop their voice. I am more than pleased with my decision to pursue my TEFL at Maximo Nivel. It was not easy. It was not a walk in the park. It was challenging and at times I felt I wouldn't get it, but with their support, teaching, and program, I did. Not only do I recommend Maximo Nivel, I really begin to express how phenomenal Antigua is. I came for a weekend and within 10 months, had relocated my family including 3 young children and a cat. It is a magical place. Discover it for yourself.

Hard to say. It was at times an overwhelming commitment for me but that is because I have children here, they were starting a new school year, I had parents' nights and dinner events and birthday parties to attend and to plan. If you are coming for the class, it is very doable.

Corey
Kelowna, Canada

Flowers of Guatemala or Words the start with X

Taking this training course was ultimately rewarded by a 10-year-old boy who came out of the back of a classroom and spelled "xylophone" on the board. How, I'm not sure, but certainly the teaching methodology imparted to me by the TEFL course at Maximo Nivel was a large factor in that near-magic moment when you see a student's eyes widen in recognition that he or she has the answer to a question in a language they are just learning.

I'm certain most of the credit for this little victory is owed to my TEFL instructor Karen. She has a florescent intellect and energy, which you cannot help but want to emulate and cast upon your future students. (Within a week of completing this course I was offered a job, and now have 138 students, and one can spell xylophone.) Fun. Inspiring. Rewarding.

Charlotte
Birmingham, England

Smiles, Volcanoes and TEFL awesomeness!

Guatemala is a country I had never heard of before, I wasn't aware of its existence and would never have thought about choosing it as a place to visit nevermind relocate to Antigua for a month to complete my TEFL certification. I am so glad that I chose Maximo Nivel to complete my course, it is an experience I will cherish forever! Antigua is a beautiful place with cobbled streets, gorgeous buildings and the happiest people I have ever encountered. There isn't a day I can't recall walking down the streets from my home stay to Maximo without seeing a smiling face or being greeted warmly. As for Maximo I can't praise the staff enough for the help while being in Antigua, whether it was to do with the course or what I should do in my spare time they were more than happy to help. Karen Wilke was my TEFL trainer while at Maximo Nivel and she is an amazing woman with a huge passion for education that she passed onto all of my peers on the course, the topics were covered in detail but that didn't mean the lessons were boring, they were far from it, from learning on the terrace of the Maximo building with the view of the Volcanoes in the background to getting up out of our seats and dancing the classes were full of laughter and learning! The practical teaching week was definitely the highlight of the course for me with great feedback and support provided for every lesson. I can't thank Karen and the Maximo Nivel staff for making my experience of Guatemala an amazing one!

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language