TEFL Certification in Antigua, Guatemala

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

I'm in the states right now....but looking forward to heading to Cambodia to teach at a school there. I was teaching for Oxford Language in Guatemala since 2 weeks after my certification.

• Benefits 9.4
  • Facilities 9.7
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8.5
  • Job Assistance 9.5
Shalla

Wonderful taking TEFL with Karen Wilke

Our instructor Karen Wilke was knowledgeable and she was always there to help. I love her energy too, kind, good-hearted, intelligent, funny and smart :) You'll enjoy taking your TEFL there.

Maximo Nivel is a good school (I took Spanish there). The location is incredible, you're close to museums, libraries, the Parque Central where the banks are, restaurants, market, stores, everything you need.

After I took TEFL there, they interview you in case you like to work there. They have TEFL schools in Guatemala, Costa Rica and Peru so lots of possibilities.

Antigua, Guatemala was a wonderful place to take TEFL. It's safe, secure and very beautiful there. Maximo Nivel had everything I needed too. We have a computer room there, tutoring, coffee/tea (all free to students).

Pritisha

Great course, in a great city, by a great teacher

Really wonderful course that has me feeling fully prepared and equipped for a new career. Karen is empowering and inspiring as a teacher and gives us a lot of resources and support. It is a challenging course that really gives us the full experience so we are ready for anything. I really appreciated the flexibility of the Hybrid program since I couldn't take much time off my current job. This was new territory for me so I wanted extra time with the first online portion of the class, to really let it marinate in my mind. The onsite portion was intense but engaging and very hands on. Karen really led by example and was always available for support.

Antigua is a wonderful exciting city to do TEFL, I would recommend spending some extra time before or after your course to do day trips since this course will keep you busy!

The program is really amazing already! Maybe allow for more course materials to be digitized/emailed?
Emily

Go for it!

This isn't your typical TEFL/TESOL course. The entire month is a beautiful growing experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone. Even if you don't plan on teaching English full-time or long-term, the certification is almost like having additional job security. The TEFL instructor here in Antigua is completely qualified, very knowledgeable in all things English, linguistics, teaching, traveling/ living abroad, etc. NOT to mention, she's just one of those amazing people in your life whom you will never forget.
Maximo provides so much support outside of the classroom. The facility is gorgeous, clean, perfectly-located, and peaceful. Antigua is a beautiful little colonial town, full of welcoming locals, fellow travelers, and comfortable accommodations. Endless restaurants, hidden gardens, beautiful ruins to explore during your free time. With awareness and precaution, you shouldn't have any problems of safety.
As far as the STAR of the review goes, the course itself: I can't properly convey how much information, wisdom, methodology, confidence, friendship, and experience I gained from this month-long TEFL program. The course work didn't always feel like a breeze, but I also never felt too overwhelmed at any point. Many Antigua-based TEFL students end up staying longer than planned.
I'm so glad I made the leap. If you're looking for a the best TEFL course all around, congratulations because I strongly believe you've found it.

Price of accommodations is quite overpriced compared to other prices I've found around Antigua.
Stephanie

Awesome experience!

I had a wonderful time at Maximo Guatemala! I met wonderful new people that I am still close friends with 2 months later. I loved it so much in Antigua that I am now living here full time. The course was thorough and prepared us well for our coming job search. The academic office was very helpful in resolving any issues we had during our time in Antigua from finding the best coffee in town to signing up for Spanish classes during our TEFL course. They allowed me to make last minute changes to my living situation and helped my transfer the extra money from housing to Spanish courses. My host family was AMAZING and we are still great friends. The highlight of the course was Karen, of course, who made each day fun even when there was plenty of work to be done. 10/10 would recommend!

The discrepancy between the amount paid for rent through Maximo Nivel and the standard of living in Antigua is very large.
Melisa

Grammar is cool ;)

I took the TEFL certificate course last month and it was amazing. Karen, our tefl trainer, made the whole experience a wonderful learning process. You get to do a lot of practical teaching since the beginning of the course til the final week which was my favorite one! The practical teaching week is challenging but rewarding in the end. Karen will make sure you feel motivated all the time! Antigua is THE place to get your TEFL certificate because Karen is THE teacher :D !

Maddie

Best teacher, best city

I spent 10 weeks volunteering with Maximo Nivel before deciding to take the TEFL course. It was one of the best decisions I ever made! I learned so much in such a short amount of time, both about teaching and about life. Going back to my volunteer program the week after I finished the course was so rewarding because I felt like I was able to give my students so much more than I’d been able to before. Karen is such an exceptional teacher and role model, and honestly just the opportunity to be her student for a month is a good enough reason to take the course. She’s so supportive, knowledgeable, and fun, and truly the best example of what I would like to achieve as a teacher. Within a month of completing the course and returning to the the states for university, I got a flexible online ESL teaching job which I’ve been loving for the past couple months. Excellent program aside, Antigua is the best place to be, and my only warning would be that it’s very hard to leave.

Maurice

A Magical Experience

The training I received at Maximo Nivel exceeded my expectations. We were giving mini-lessons in front of students by the end of the first week. Normally, I would have cringed under these circumstances. However, we had amazing support and were equipped with amazing teaching skills. I have never taught before, but this program definitely gave me a boost in confidence. Karen, the TEFL Trainer, is AMAZING! She has a great deal of experience and will give you all the support you need. I don't think my TEFL training/Maximo experience would have been the same without her. I would definitely recommend this program to others.

The only thing I would recommend is receiving some information about my homestay prior to arriving to Guatemala.
Ashlyn

Maximo Nivel Guatemala TEFL Review

This course was an amazing experience. I learned life skills along with my new teaching skills. They created a wonderful environment and great support at all times. The class was broken up and made fun so it wasn't too much to handle. This course helped me grow as a person as well as a teacher. I previously volunteered at the same site at Maximo Nivel Guatemala and decided to return due to the support and encouragement I had received. I am so glad I did this and now have the confidence to go and travel any where in the world and use the skills that I gained.

I honestly don't have any suggestions towards this. My experience was above and beyond.
Marco

What took me so long?????

Maximo Nivel has been great since my first time communicating with them. From re-scheduling my classes they were always following up to make sure I was good and if there was anything thy could do to help. Once I finally made it here it was AMAZING!!!! I must admit that we had a special class and that added to the experience. But The support you get from the school, Karen (TEFL instructor) is out of this world. It was a great experience and now I look forward to seeing where the next chapter takes me. To anyone on the fence about taking the course I say JUST DO IT!!!!! the only regret you will have is not taking it sooner. To anyone just looking for an adventure I say TAKE THE CLASS!!!! You learn to become a teacher but you learn so much about yourself in the process as well.

This is a very intensive program. If you're not willing to sacrifice and 4 weeks it will be harder. But it is worth all the sacrifice. I don't see how it could be improved, 4 weeks to learn everything you do and the practice you get it seems about as streamlined as it could get.
Sung

What are you waiting for?

I've gotta say as someone who is very shy and quiet, it was a challenge getting through the TEFL course. It was terrifying thinking about being in front of people and actually start teaching. If it were not by the support of the academy, classmates and our trainer (Karen Wilke) I wouldn't be where I am right now. Many people go into the course thinking "Is it worth it?", it definitely is. It's not only about you getting the certificate and skills to teach English, it's the experience, the students, classmates, etc. Pretty much everything is an upside. Doesn't matter if you get stressed, the reward after, overcomes all of it.

For those reading and wondering if you should go for it or not, what's wrong with you? Just do it and don't miss the chance to write another huge chapter of your lives.

Laura

Empowering and Practical Teaching

The TEFL training at Maximo Nivel is full of practical teaching experience, memorable lessons and supportive staff. I bonded well with my classmates through silly grammar lessons, traveling on the weekends and so many vulnerable moments in the mix of learning how to teach. After finishing the course, I feel empowered to teach...but also know I will never be alone on the journey. The people of this course are now my "family/network" for future employment and questions in the mix of continual learning in the classroom! I am leaving with a grateful heart.

Saskia

Fully prepared a novice for ESL teaching!

Honestly can't give this course enough praise. Maximo Nivel is situated in Central Antigua, a perfect and beautiful location. From the get go, pre-departure, responses to emails were promt and helpful, helping with any issues or worries I may have about moving abroad. The course itself surpassed my expectations, and although very intense and not easy, it was an incredible expereince. For someone who has never taught before it was the best way to prepare for teaching ESL. The course includes a week (or more if you wish) practical teaching, and from week one you are thrown into the deep end having to plan and deliver short lessons. Karen the TEFL tutor was knowledgable and quite frankly made the entire course! Maximo was so organised and professional that i am in fact staying there for 6 months to teach! I couldnt be more excited and thank TEFL Heaven for giving me this connection.

I couldnt floor it.
Stephanie

Unforgettable Experience!

I had such an amazing experience in Guatemala. Karen is a great instructor, she really changed my life and the way I viewed teaching. I learned so much in just 4 weeks and met amazing people along the way. It was A LOT of hard work but it was definitely worth it! Karen will help you get through it. Maximo is super supportive too they will always be there if you need them. I highly recommended taking the TEFL in Antigua!

Jillian

Karen at Maximo is great!

Maximo has been quite the experience for me. I took the TEFL course in Antigua Guatemala For starters the teacher (Karen) that led my group was amazing!!! Caring, patient, and extremely knowlendgable! She was there every single step of the way offering a helping hand, and giving great realistic advice. She's been doing this a long time and she still loves it. You can tell. She genuinely cares about her students and their futures. Aside from her the staff at Maximo is very helpful as well. They offer their time and resources for all of the students and staff. I loved my experience with Maximo and can proudly say I will be working for them starting in February!

Lauren

Wonderful experience

I'm so incredibly glad that I chose to come to Antigua to earn my TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel. The course is challenging -- full days with homework afterward -- but Karen, the amazing instructor, guided us through it. We all learned so much and it was incredible to see everyone's growth and improvement over just four weeks. We went from being terrified to give 20-minute mini lessons at the beginning of the month to confidently planning and leading our own classrooms at the end of the month. At the end of the month, you'll graduate with your TEFL family. The staff and facilities at Maximo are excellent, my homestay was great, and I also was able to take Spanish lessons. Although it's a big investment of time and money to come to Antigua and complete this program, it's one thousand percent worth it and I've had one of the best experiences of my life.

About Maximo Nivel

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross...