• Guatemala

– Free Tandem Conversation Program
– Free office-wide WIFI
– Free Salsa dance classes
– Free cooking classes
– Free coffee and tea and on-site snack bar
– Institute is open 7 days/week
– Emergency contact number 24/7
What's Included
Activities Airport Transfers Wifi
Nov 08, 2019
May 30, 2021

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

• 9-10 rating 98.13%
  • Academic Rigor 8.6
  • Job Assistance 9.4
Matt

TEFL Antigua

Had a good experience in Antigua with Maximo. Don't know anything about their other programs but the TEFL course is well thought out, comprehensive and challenging. Karen was a great instructor that clearly cared that her students were understanding the material and were able to use it. It was nice chatting with her outside of class as well. The class was a lot of work, but I felt like there was a pretty good balance of serious, hard work and some lighter stuff so that the class didn't drag on. It was nice to have some actual practical teaching experience built into the course.

Be prepared for a lot of work. I was advised not to treat the course like a vacation opportunity and I would say that helped to set good expectations at the beginning.
John

TEFL certification in Guatemala

Getting TEFL certified in Guatemala was amazing. The 4 week long in person course was challenging, but the information learned is exactly what you need to learn to start teaching. By the end of the course you will be teaching actual classes confidently and effectively. My trainer Karen was amazing. Her experience and passion for teaching will be clear from day 1 and she will become one of your greatest resources. Enough really can't be said about Karen or Maximo Nivel. On weekends you also have the opportunity to do all kinds of things like hiking active volcanoes, relaxing at the lake, or visiting some of the nearby towns. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would spend WAY more time in Guatemala. 4 weeks in Guatemala (while getting TEFL certified) is not enough time if you want to see all of the amazing attractions Guatemala has to offer.
Enrique

Great TEFL Course in Antigua

Karen is a great instructor and the course really prepared us to teach English classes at any level. It was great getting to apply what we had learned in the final practicum week, and then adjust everything to suit our own styles and strengths. You definitely leave feeling as if you've advanced a great deal in just one month. The lifetime job assistance that comes with the program is also incredibly valuable and something to make good use of. Guatemala is a beautiful country too, and if you're going to take this program you should definitely get to know it closely.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The third week of the program involves a lot of work. You just have to be patient with yourself and you will get it done; it's not overly complex at all, and ultimately it will help you.
Tim

Antigua is sick

Super rad program in a great city

Maximo Nivel is pretty streamlined to get you on track with teaching - a great method by the way - so that you can best help your future students. The program is pretty chill for the first two weeks and then it is quite difficult the last two, but it is a good challenge and it is all worth it.

The program was really well done - We experienced it not at it's 100% cause of the pandemic but I think it would be even better to do it all in person with others, but it was interesting to teach online too

You got This!

What was your funniest moment?
trying to teach and epically failing ahah - like now knowing my own English language sometimes
Ali

Amazing Experience in Antigua

I had an incredible TEFL course in Antigua with Karen. She was an extremely helpful, caring and genuine teacher. She shared her extensive knowledge with us in an effective and efficient way, and exemplified what it should be like to be a teacher. We also had lots of practical teaching experience throughout the course, which felt scary at times but it really helped to feel more comfortable teaching. Karen gave great personalized feedback after every practical lesson. I am grateful for what I learned and feel prepared to teach both online and in person.

Have fun with it and get all your work done efficiently! There is so many fun things to do and see in Guatemala, and the workload can get a bit overwhelming at times. But, if you buckle down every day for an hour or two it's not bad - then you can go out and have fun!!
Rachel

Great Program!

I attended the TEFL training in Antigua, Guatemala in Dec 2019 and it was an amazing experience! The city was easily navigable, the classes were so helpful in preparing us to be ESL teachers, and the school even provided activities such as salsa dancing and cooking classes after hours that added some fun! I highly recommend this program to anyone looking to teach ESL. I have been teaching for a year now and using the game ideas, grammar knowledge, and class structures that I learned here. There is even housing options if needed with host families.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
While there, I got food poisoning and actually ended up in the hospital, but the school sent a representative to me (even though I was an hour away) and they stayed with me till I was better!
Brendan

Maximo Nivel in Guatemala - great decision!

In March 2020 (just before Coronavirus) I completed a hybrid TEFL cerfication program with Maximo Nivel in Antigua. I did half of the work and requirements on line at my convenience before going to Antigua to do two weeks of onsite work, joing a small group (5) of classmates. There, we all had the great opportunity to work under the tutelage of Karen "Boss" Wilkes and teach real life students who were enrolled in Maximo Nivel to learn English. The program is solid on many levels. - It is comprehensive, well structured. It is fun, supportive, and professional. Happy with my choice and that is only in part because being in Antigua for a month was awesome!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Hey it's not not terrifying to get up in front of students for the first time BUT you are supported, you are made (thankfully) to do it several times, and the students themselves are a joy!
Lisbet

BEST Site to get TEFL certified!

This place has made me live a dream in a dream town! Not only is Antigua Guatemala the perfect site to live while becoming TEFL certified due to its undeniable charm and amazing hospitality, it also has the UPMOST QUALITY teacher/guide KAREN who held me by the hand through this journey. Although it is only a month course, and everything seems to go by quick, Karen makes sure we actually learn the material and techniques rather than just reciting a textbook to us . She provides the needed environment and skills needs for us to learn. I will always recommend anyone to choose Antigua Guatemala, which I am sure cannot compare to Costa Rica’s beaches or Peru’s Machu pichu

I would extend the time frame so that it can be longer than one month so that I can have the extra practice needed.