• Guatemala

– Free Tandem Conversation Program
– Free office-wide WIFI
– Free Salsa dance classes
– Free cooking classes
– Free coffee and tea and on-site snack bar
– Institute is open 7 days/week
– Emergency contact number 24/7
What's Included
Activities Airport Transfers Wifi
Mar 04, 2022
Feb 21, 2022
8 travelers are looking at this program

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 14 modules:

• Academic Rigor 8.7
  • Job Assistance 9.4
Noah

Couldn't have been better

TEFL was expensive, and the course-load was quite large, but I truly believe I could not have had a better teacher. Mackenzie Tucker was an absolute pleasure to learn under. This platform is asking me to make 500 characters, but I have said everything I need to say so. Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop Whoop

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
A bug I found on the sidewalk. It tasted great. Would highly recommend eating bugs off the sidewalk to any traveler.
Amy

51 year old loves Maximo Nivel Antigua, Guatemala

Although I wasn't exactly sure what I signed up for with the TEFL certification it was intense but wonderful. It was A LOT of work but my teacher MacKenzie Tucker was excellent. He explained things in multiple ways, modeled teaching a lot and was available after class every day. I took full advantage of his after hours. Although it was a lot of work not once did I feel like I couldn't do it because MacKenzie made sure I understood the information and helped me every step of the way. I am a 51 year old woman and just now decided I wanted to get the TEFL certification so learning Google Docs, Zoom and teaching online was challenging. MacKenzie helped me step by step. The practical teaching was nerve wracking but my blood pressure came down each time I did it. The immediate feedback from MacKenzie was super helpful. I loved learning in Guatemala and with the school centrally located I was able to get to school every day easily and it has MANY great food options nearby.

The only reason I didn't give Maximo Nivel a 10 out of 10 is because:
1 There was much course content on how to teach children. There was some reading about it at the beginning of the course but since I will be working with children a lot and they don't know how to read, I was a bit disappointed that the practical teaching curriculum didn't include lesson on how to teach children.
2 All of the observation videos I watched were "in person" yet all of my practical teaching was online. I would have preferred to have at least watched one "online" video. And I would have really liked to have taught one "in person" class. In the end, I know it is easier to go from "online teaching" to "in person" than the other way around so I am really grateful I learned all the technology.

Thanks Maximo Nivel for the knowledge I have gained, the skill I have developed and the ability to help anyone learn English anywhere in the world!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
A man walking his goats down the street, then milking one and drinking it on the side of the road.
George

Amazing!

The TEFL Certification course absolutely exceeded my expectations! The coursework was challenging and completely prepared me for a life of teaching English abroad. I was extremely pleased with the academic support and the opportunity to teach real students during the practical teaching week. My host family was also incredibly accommodating and my room was comfortable (and had wifi). You are definitely getting the complete package when taking the TEFL Cert at Maximo Nivel. My TEFL trainer (Mackenzie) was knowledgeable and always quick to respond to any emails and help out with the class during office hours. The job finding workshop and lifetime job finding assistance Maximo provides was also an essential part of the program for me. I would highly recommend this course to anyone looking to become TEFL Certified.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was very nervous about flying solo to Antigua without knowing much Spanish. Maximo picked me up from the airport and dropped me off at my home-stay, completely taking away any of the nerves about getting from the airport to housing. Once in Antigua I was totally able to get by with limited Spanish, my host family was always patient and very welcoming even though there was a little bit of a language barrier.
Matt

TEFL Antigua

Had a good experience in Antigua with Maximo. Don't know anything about their other programs but the TEFL course is well thought out, comprehensive and challenging. Karen was a great instructor that clearly cared that her students were understanding the material and were able to use it. It was nice chatting with her outside of class as well. The class was a lot of work, but I felt like there was a pretty good balance of serious, hard work and some lighter stuff so that the class didn't drag on. It was nice to have some actual practical teaching experience built into the course.

Be prepared for a lot of work. I was advised not to treat the course like a vacation opportunity and I would say that helped to set good expectations at the beginning.
John

TEFL certification in Guatemala

Getting TEFL certified in Guatemala was amazing. The 4 week long in person course was challenging, but the information learned is exactly what you need to learn to start teaching. By the end of the course you will be teaching actual classes confidently and effectively. My trainer Karen was amazing. Her experience and passion for teaching will be clear from day 1 and she will become one of your greatest resources. Enough really can't be said about Karen or Maximo Nivel. On weekends you also have the opportunity to do all kinds of things like hiking active volcanoes, relaxing at the lake, or visiting some of the nearby towns. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would spend WAY more time in Guatemala. 4 weeks in Guatemala (while getting TEFL certified) is not enough time if you want to see all of the amazing attractions Guatemala has to offer.
Enrique

Great TEFL Course in Antigua

Karen is a great instructor and the course really prepared us to teach English classes at any level. It was great getting to apply what we had learned in the final practicum week, and then adjust everything to suit our own styles and strengths. You definitely leave feeling as if you've advanced a great deal in just one month. The lifetime job assistance that comes with the program is also incredibly valuable and something to make good use of. Guatemala is a beautiful country too, and if you're going to take this program you should definitely get to know it closely.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The third week of the program involves a lot of work. You just have to be patient with yourself and you will get it done; it's not overly complex at all, and ultimately it will help you.
Tim

Antigua is sick

Super rad program in a great city

Maximo Nivel is pretty streamlined to get you on track with teaching - a great method by the way - so that you can best help your future students. The program is pretty chill for the first two weeks and then it is quite difficult the last two, but it is a good challenge and it is all worth it.

The program was really well done - We experienced it not at it's 100% cause of the pandemic but I think it would be even better to do it all in person with others, but it was interesting to teach online too

You got This!

What was your funniest moment?
trying to teach and epically failing ahah - like now knowing my own English language sometimes
Ali

Amazing Experience in Antigua

I had an incredible TEFL course in Antigua with Karen. She was an extremely helpful, caring and genuine teacher. She shared her extensive knowledge with us in an effective and efficient way, and exemplified what it should be like to be a teacher. We also had lots of practical teaching experience throughout the course, which felt scary at times but it really helped to feel more comfortable teaching. Karen gave great personalized feedback after every practical lesson. I am grateful for what I learned and feel prepared to teach both online and in person.

Have fun with it and get all your work done efficiently! There is so many fun things to do and see in Guatemala, and the workload can get a bit overwhelming at times. But, if you buckle down every day for an hour or two it's not bad - then you can go out and have fun!!