TEFL Certification in Antigua, Guatemala

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

I'm in the states right now....but looking forward to heading to Cambodia to teach at a school there. I was teaching for Oxford Language in Guatemala since 2 weeks after my certification.

• Benefits 9.4
  • Facilities 9.7
  • Instruction 10
  • Difficulty 8.5
  • Job Assistance 9.6
Saskia

Fully prepared a novice for ESL teaching!

Honestly can't give this course enough praise. Maximo Nivel is situated in Central Antigua, a perfect and beautiful location. From the get go, pre-departure, responses to emails were promt and helpful, helping with any issues or worries I may have about moving abroad. The course itself surpassed my expectations, and although very intense and not easy, it was an incredible expereince. For someone who has never taught before it was the best way to prepare for teaching ESL. The course includes a week (or more if you wish) practical teaching, and from week one you are thrown into the deep end having to plan and deliver short lessons. Karen the TEFL tutor was knowledgable and quite frankly made the entire course! Maximo was so organised and professional that i am in fact staying there for 6 months to teach! I couldnt be more excited and thank TEFL Heaven for giving me this connection.

I couldnt floor it.
Stephanie

Unforgettable Experience!

I had such an amazing experience in Guatemala. Karen is a great instructor, she really changed my life and the way I viewed teaching. I learned so much in just 4 weeks and met amazing people along the way. It was A LOT of hard work but it was definitely worth it! Karen will help you get through it. Maximo is super supportive too they will always be there if you need them. I highly recommended taking the TEFL in Antigua!

Jillian

Karen at Maximo is great!

Maximo has been quite the experience for me. I took the TEFL course in Antigua Guatemala For starters the teacher (Karen) that led my group was amazing!!! Caring, patient, and extremely knowlendgable! She was there every single step of the way offering a helping hand, and giving great realistic advice. She's been doing this a long time and she still loves it. You can tell. She genuinely cares about her students and their futures. Aside from her the staff at Maximo is very helpful as well. They offer their time and resources for all of the students and staff. I loved my experience with Maximo and can proudly say I will be working for them starting in February!

Lauren

Wonderful experience

I'm so incredibly glad that I chose to come to Antigua to earn my TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel. The course is challenging -- full days with homework afterward -- but Karen, the amazing instructor, guided us through it. We all learned so much and it was incredible to see everyone's growth and improvement over just four weeks. We went from being terrified to give 20-minute mini lessons at the beginning of the month to confidently planning and leading our own classrooms at the end of the month. At the end of the month, you'll graduate with your TEFL family. The staff and facilities at Maximo are excellent, my homestay was great, and I also was able to take Spanish lessons. Although it's a big investment of time and money to come to Antigua and complete this program, it's one thousand percent worth it and I've had one of the best experiences of my life.

Liz

Who knew?!

Who knew that taking a 4-week intensive course learning how to teach English could be one of the most fun, entertaining, enlightening, fulfilling experiences you could have?! Oh yes it was challenging, nay exhausting, at times, but the hard work pays off and the drained energy is replenished ten-fold when you hold that certificate in your hand and actually start to teach in a real class room - it's exhilarating! Maximo Nivel has your back every step of the way, helping with daily practicalities: homestay organising, country advice, tours and cultural trips and the provision of study areas with PCs, research information, teaching aids and complimentary tea, coffee and water. I took my course in their Guatemala school in Antigua and the staff and teachers could not be more helpful, or cheerful!! In particular, our skilled and passionate TEFL trainer, Karen Wilke, who never lacked enthusiasm or creativity, providing guidance tailored to your specific learning style and endless support and advice on techniques and teaching resources to make this one of the most organised and inspirational courses I have experienced. You also get to meet some of the most incredible people in Antigua and your fellow TEFL students become your family who assist and encourage you throughout the studying weeks. You get so much more than an international TEFL qualification - you get life skills and contacts that will serve you forever!

Megan

TEFL Maximo Nivel - Life Changing Experience!!!

Maximo Nivel's TEFL program was truly the most challenging and rewarding month of my life. Karen is beyond incredible and the program in Antigua, the staff, support and experience is truly one in a million. I absolutely loved the women in my class and the environment and experience was beyond amazing. Karen did a beyond amazing job of preparing and instructing us to be fun, energetic and most of all - PASSIONATE teachers moving forward! Thank you Maximo for the experience, thank you Karen for your time and thank you Guatemala for becoming my new home!

Gabriel

This Course is Legit.

Last month I took Maximo Nivel's 150 hour TEFL Training course, and would highly recommend it to anyone considering teaching English as a foreign language. Claudia, our instructor, was fantastic: very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the practice of teaching TEFL, supportive and approachable yet completely willing to be tough when necessary. Among the benefits of taking a TEFL class abroad was the opportunity to observe other teachers and get extensive practice in teaching real, live English learners. Be forewarned: this is not in any way an easy course, and will require serious effort and attention from you, but the benefits of this rigorous training were very clear: each of us improved significantly as teachers over the month.
Antigua is a lovely and user-friendly Central American town, colorful colonial buildings and cobblestone streets surrounded by lush green mountains. All in all, an excellent preparation to be a TEFL teacher!

Asja

TEFL- instructor Karen rocks!

Thanks to my instructor Karen the TEFL- course was so much fun. She is so energetic, lovely and encouraging. It’s amazing to realize how much we learned in just 4 weeks. I especially liked the perfect balance between theory and practical learning. The last week we got the opportunity to teach a class everyday. Karen gave lots of feedback as she observed every class. I also loved all the people who worked at Maximo Nivel and of course it was a pleasure to live in Antigua for a month. If you are in doubt, don't doubt any longer... This TEFL- course has everything what you can possibly look for!

Carlos

WOW

Such a great experience. The environment is so awesome. I learned so much and I am already a certified teacher before I came here. You cannot beat the location or the experience. Karen is an absolutely amazing Instructor. Her energy and love for teaching is contagious. Thomas is the steady headed Director who made you feel at home and comfortable being here. You will leave here with so much knowledge and with an appreciation for the mission here...to HELP. Absolutely recommend this for those who have the fire in their heart to help others and to teach...and hey, it doesn't hurt that the pace is located in one of the most beautiful towns in the world....and in one of the beautiful countries of the world!

Better accommodations for the students. Hostels are nice...but sharing restrooms and rooms with strangers....eh
Kathryn

Great Decision!

Maximo Nivel's TEFL program far exceeded my expectations. It was a very organized, supportive, enriching and life altering experience! Maximo Nivel staff was awesome. I am especially thankful for my TEFL instructor Karen who exemplified all of the ESL techniques in her own teaching style. She was super fun and made all the content interesting. She truly cares about every individual in her course. I never learned so much in such a short period of time. I feel well equipped for ESL work and excited to travel the world! Guatemala is also an incredible place and I highly recommend travel and learning there.

Anne

TEFL in Guatemala

If you are looking for a fun and interesting way to become TEFL certified, this is it. The course is a month long and prepares you to teach right away. It is easy to get a job right after completing the course. The instructor, Karen Wilke, is very thorough in her instruction and makes the course interesting and fun. Antigua is a beautiful colonial city, nearby many other Guatemala adventures. It is easy to get to Tikal, Copan, Lake Atitlan, and elsewhere from Antigua. Maximo Nivel is a very organized program, and will support you in any way needed!

Katherine

It was a dream of mine to become TEFL certified and to teach abroad for seven years. It took me a very long time to finally decide to do it, and a friend of mine told me about the training she had just gone through at Maximo Nivel; she said the course was very valuable and that the instructor was amazing. So I signed up at Maximo Nivel in La Antigua, Guatemala, and she was so right! I am thankful that I chose Maximo Nivel as my training facility. The four weeks of training were incredibly valuable and taught me so much. Karen is an incredible instructor, she excels at what she does and she is passionate about it! She brought so much energy and life to the class, she made us laugh so much, and she thorouhly prepared us for our new careers! Also, I chose the best country to receive my certification! Guatemala is beautiful and there is so much you can see and do here! Antigua is so beautiful with its colonial architecture and its scenic views of the surrounding volcanoes. Thank you Maximo Nivel and staff for helping my dream come true!

Ashley

Right Move for Me

I just finished my TESL/TEFL course, here in Antigua, Guatemala. And I had an awesome time! Not only was my instructor informative and energetic, but Antigua was the best place I could have chosen to take the course. The cobblestone streets enchant you as Fuego erupts (in the far off, and safe distance). I especially loved the practical teaching component, which enabled me to practice all the things I had been learning. Thank you for an experience I will never forget!

This program could be improved only by lowering their prices.
John

Best month of my life

The title says it all. I cannot thank the crew at Maximo, especially my TEFL Trainer, Karen Wilke, enough for my time at Maximo in beautiful Antigua. Not only did they make Antigua feel like a home to me, but they helped me become the best teacher possible. The friends I made, the the things I saw, and the culture that I lived in make my time at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala one of the best best months of my life.

Christopher

Awesome Experience and and Exceptional Program

The TEFL certification course at Maximo Nivel in Guatemala was exemplary. The course instructor Karen is an inspiration and gives very personalized classes and feedback. The material for the course is well organized and makes understanding the critical ESL techniques understandable and clear. There are several opportunities throughout the course to apply learned material and teach real students. The final practical teaching week is one of challenges and growth, and you truly see your progress and abilities shine. Thanks to the wonderful staff at Maximo Nivel support to students is unparalleled. Everyone truly wants to contribute to your success. Lastly, Antigua is a wonderful place with amazing landscapes, cultures and people. I highly recommend this choice when considering TEFL certification.

About Maximo Nivel

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross...