TEFL Certification in Antigua, Guatemala

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Travel Grants Available for a Limited Time!

Ready to work as an English teacher abroad? Register today for our award winning TEFL Certification in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Peru and apply for a special travel grant.

I'm in the states right now....but looking forward to heading to Cambodia to teach at a school there. I was teaching for Oxford Language in Guatemala since 2 weeks after my certification.

• Benefits 9.4
  • Facilities 9.7
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8.7
  • Job Assistance 9.5
Brendan

Maximo Nivel in Guatemala - great decision!

In March 2020 (just before Coronavirus) I completed a hybrid TEFL cerfication program with Maximo Nivel in Antigua. I did half of the work and requirements on line at my convenience before going to Antigua to do two weeks of onsite work, joing a small group (5) of classmates. There, we all had the great opportunity to work under the tutelage of Karen "Boss" Wilkes and teach real life students who were enrolled in Maximo Nivel to learn English. The program is solid on many levels. - It is comprehensive, well structured. It is fun, supportive, and professional. Happy with my choice and that is only in part because being in Antigua for a month was awesome!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Hey it's not not terrifying to get up in front of students for the first time BUT you are supported, you are made (thankfully) to do it several times, and the students themselves are a joy!
Lisbet

BEST Site to get TEFL certified!

This place has made me live a dream in a dream town! Not only is Antigua Guatemala the perfect site to live while becoming TEFL certified due to its undeniable charm and amazing hospitality, it also has the UPMOST QUALITY teacher/guide KAREN who held me by the hand through this journey. Although it is only a month course, and everything seems to go by quick, Karen makes sure we actually learn the material and techniques rather than just reciting a textbook to us . She provides the needed environment and skills needs for us to learn. I will always recommend anyone to choose Antigua Guatemala, which I am sure cannot compare to Costa Rica’s beaches or Peru’s Machu pichu

I would extend the time frame so that it can be longer than one month so that I can have the extra practice needed.
Tania

Maximo Nivel TEFL Progam in Antigua

I took the Maximo TEFL Program in Antigua and thought that it was an amazing experience. I loved taking the class and especially enjoyed the instructor Karen. Karen was amazingly supportitive of me throughout the course. I found this very encouraging and it really helped to keep me positive through the intensive practical teaching part of the course. This was definitely my favorite part of the course, as I learnt so much from the experience of it. I also really enjoyed interacting with my classmates during the classroom portion of the course, as they were so friendly and kind. Finally, I really enjoyed Antigua itself as it is an amazingly historical city with a very relaxed, laid back vibe. Because of this I really recommend this course to anyone wanting to take a TEFL course.

My advice to future travellers on this program is to read as much as can about teaching, particularly Teaching English as a Second Language before you come as it makes understanding the teaching philosophy and methods of Maximo Nivel so much easier.
Amanda

Amazing Experience!

I took the Hybrid TEFL course in Antigua and absolutely loved it! Not only was our teacher amazing and extremely helpful, the course itself was organized and full of vital information and skills to become the best TEFL teacher. The Hybrid course involves two weeks online and two weeks in Antigua. The transition, for me, was very smooth and easy and Maximo Nivel is very accommodating. I also cannot recommend a better location than Antigua. The town is absolutely stunning, the people are so kind, and everything is within walking distance. You will grow as an individual and as a teacher. I definitely would recommend!

Natalia

Best Experience Ever!

There are several reasons why you should choose Antigua and Maximo Nivel for your TEFL Certification:
- Karen is the best trainer and mentor you can find. She is passionate, funny, goofy and a total grammar nerd that will make you love your experience and will guide you and help you every step of the way.
- Antigua is beautiful! You will get to learn how to be a teacher surrounded by volcanoes in the most picturesque town. On weekends, you can hike to the top of volcanoes, visit a replica of the shire, go to the beach, go to lake Atitlan or just chill and enjoy the beauties of Antigua!
- The certification itself: Getting TEFL certified will allow you to work in a lot of places and will open a lot of doors, especially if you are interested in traveling while doing so. You also get help from Karen and the Maximo staff to build your resume and support to get a job!
- The Practical Experience: You get to teach 3 short lessons and an entire week of practical teaching with a real class at Maximo!.
This experience has been amazing and I recommend it 100%!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would be less afraid of doing it, and would probably do it sooner!
Abby

Karen the TEFL Trainer is the BEST

I just finished a one month intensive TEFL course at Maximo Nivel and I truly enjoyed my time there. My home stay was lovely, more of a bed and breakfast/inn vibe than a proper homestay and I had the best time there, great food, strong wifi, clean home. The staff at Maximo go above and beyond to make sure their clients have everything they need. They know most people my name and often check in to make sure everything is going smoothly. The facilities are great. There is a beautiful courtyard with a fountain in Casa I and a lovely terrace in Casa II with weekly social activities, salsa lessons, cooking lessons, chips and guac. What made the experience so wonderful, however, was the TEFL Trainer, Karen Wilke. She is an inspiration and a true joy to be around. She paces the course so well and is very knowledgable. Karen reinforces the ESL methodologies she is teaching by using them to teach. Her observations and feedback were so detailed and really did help me become a better teacher. I would highly recommend this program, most importantly because Karen Wilke is the trainer.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I saw 500 baby turtles be released into the ocean during a weekend trip to El Paredon.
Paul

TEFL Course in Antigua, Guatemala

The Maximo Nivel TEFL course in Antigua was an excellent experience. The support Maximo provides, from airport pickup upon arrival to providing space to store your luggage while you travel after the course, and everything en between, was superb. The Maximo team works hard to ensure that you will feel comfortable and have everything you need while completing your program in a foreign country.

The course itself was intensive- you can have fun, but be prepared to work hard and learn a lot too. Upon completing the course, including a week of practical teaching in a real classroom, I felt well equipped to teach English myself. Karen Wilke, the teacher, was an amazing example of what a teacher can and should be, in a class about teaching. What more can you ask for in a teacher? She consistently utilized techniques that she was teaching us to to be able to utilize, so we understood firsthand just how effective they are. She truly cared about our success in the course and in our teaching careers afterward, and provided and continues to provide invaluable support with her extensive TEFL experience.

Guatemala is a beautiful country with warm, friendly people and tons to see and do. Antigua is an excellent home base for experiencing what the country has to offer. I am very happy with my decision to take the TEFL course there and would highly recommend it to anybody else interested in TEFL.

Find a good balance between work and play- the course is serious.
Leilana

TEFLer in Antigua

This was honestly an eye-opener for me I had no idea what I was going into when I decided to take this course I was unprepared for the amount of love and support I was going to receive when coming to this course. Choosing to go to Guatemala was a stressful point for my parents and I'd be lying if I said I felt safe visiting Guatemala. Media portrays it as a place of violence and turmoil, but I can say with confidence that a lot of those rumors are untrue. This is coming from someone who walked home at least twice a week after 1 in the morning and I'm a female ( I'm in no way advocating for people to do this, I HAD NO DATA FOR AN UBER, which is dirt cheap here, invest in a sim card guys, also really cheap I was just lazy). Any ways my point is don't believe everything you see or read, this place is beautiful and the people even more so. My trainer Karen was one of a kind and such an inspirational figure she pushed each and everyone of us and the people at Maximo international department were truly angels. If you're thinking of going anywhere give Guatemala a go who knows you might just love it.