Volunteer in Costa Rica: Most Affordable & Real Impact!

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from UBELONG.

sewing
sewing
english classes
english classes
italian
italian

UBELONG offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Merida, Mexico.

Volunteer in one of these world-class projects:

CAREGIVING
--> Caring for disadvantaged youth
--> Caring for people with disabilities
--> Caring for the elderly

EDUCATION
--> Teaching English

ENVIRONMENT
--> Working in a botanical garden
--> Supporting environmental education efforts

CONSTRUCTION
--> Light painting and renovation

• 24/7 in-country support
  • Volunteer on projects that truly need you
  • Live in the heart of Cartago and enjoy delicious meals every day
  • Go with a US based organization - legitimacy and peace of mind
  • The #1 program in Costa Rica and with the best reviews!

Emilia

My unforgettable experience in Costa Rica

My experience in Cosa Rica was definitely a great experience.
I chose to go to Costa Rica for different reasons. First of all, I've always wanted to visit the country: its people, culture and way of living inspired me positive energy (the so called "Pura Vida!") and its nature and landscapes have always attracted me.
Plus, I felt the need to travel alone, in a very distant country, in order to have a completely challenging and bracing experience. And so it was! I met amazing people: my host family, the Volunteer Staff, the other volunteers, all the people that work in the school I volunteered at.
Fortunately, I speak some Spanish, so it was easier to me to communicate with the students, which was the thing I loved most. For two weeks, I shared every single moment with them, and I can say that I learnt from them as much as they learnt from me!

Tina

Great experience

I went to Cartago, Costa Rica for five weeks and had the time of my life. My host family was great, the conditions were great. I had two volunteer sites, one was mentally disabled adults and the second was an orphanage. The orphanage was my favorite, but they were both learning experiences. UBELONG was so helpful throughout my trip and everything went very smoothly.

I honestly cannot think of something that could be changed. Everything went great for me.
Kaylea

I would definitely recommend UBELONG as your first choice to volunteer abroad.

It's an amazing opportunity with amazing volunteer options, very reasonable prices, and the UBELONG team is filled with amazing and helpful workers that help you every step of the way and make you feel very comfortable and excited for the experience ahead. I am so glad I decided to volunteer with UBELONG, it was was the most amazing experience of my life so far and I would love to do it again.

Sydney

Living in Costa Rica could be hot and wet, but was undeniably the most fun I've had!

UBELONG is run by individuals who really want to see a change in the world, and they empower young people to get involved. I think it's so cool they send kids as young as 18 around the globe to share their message and take responsibility for our neighbors' wellbeing.
This was such a great experience, and made me more independent.

Drew

Geriatric Caregiving in Cartago, Costa Rica

I volunteered for two weeks in the city of Cartago, Costa Rica as an assistant in the Geriatric care facility, ASCATE. On a daily basis I would assist in the facility's small medical clinic by organizing medications, taking vital signs, and preparing medical documentation prior to scheduled appointments. Additionally I worked with the physical therapy staff during various activities including the favorite activity of the client population, dancing. I quickly developed friendships with both the clients as well as the local staff I worked with and felt I was truly part of a team that was making a difference in the lives of the seniors who attended the facility on a daily basis. I also learned about the local culture and met many locals who took the time to take me out, to teach me about the country, and discuss current affairs. It is difficult to describe the most meaningful experiences that I took away from my trip, such as the connection I felt with the people that I met. Those relationships are what I miss most and is what made the experience so special.

As I was the first volunteer for this specific program, my experience was unique in that the local staff at the facility was figuring out how best to utilize me during my stay. Therefore there were occaisonally times when I had completed my work and was unsure what next to do. Luckily the staff were exceptionally friendly and approachable, but it should be noted that, especially while the program is new, any future volunteers should not hesitate to take initiative in finding the next opportunity to help out. A proactive attitude goes a long way and is appreciated by the staff.

Location:
Limón International Airport
( LIO )
Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport
( LIR )

A pioneer of ecotourism, Costa Rica draws many tourists to its extensive series of national parks and other protected areas. Costa Rica began reversing deforestation in the 1990s, and they are moving towards using only renewable energy. Head to the cloud forest, relax on the beautiful beaches or visit a coffee farm.

Alumni Interviews

About UBELONG

Most Affordable - Trusted by Thousands - Real Impact Booking group volunteer programs only. - Pick from 100+ projects in education, caregiving, conservation, medical and more - Go to Africa, Asia & Latin America - Go 1 week to 6 months and start any...