• Dominican Republic

Age Max
Year Round
Apartment Guesthouse Host Family
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Senior Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

$1,195 USD
Aldeas de Paz works hard to keep the required financial contribution to an absolute minimum and offers financial transparency by practicing an open book policy. We encourage longer stays with significantly decreasing donation requirements, recognizing that longer stays lead to more productive volunteer work, whereby more energy and time is donated in place of money! The minimum contribution starts at €175 per week. If you wish a single room upgrade add €50 per week and an all in Host Family homestay upgrade is €150 per week, including a private bedroom and two meals per day. For more information about costs and benefits check out our webpage.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Meals SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Jul 17, 2021
Mar 23, 2018

This Dentistry observation and experience opportunity offers you hands-on dentistry work experience and is aimed at current professionals and aspiring dentists. This program offers you hands-on dentistry work experience and is aimed at current professionals and aspiring dentists. It provides an opportunity to work in the local hospital-based dental clinic or a neighborhood health clinic, where you will experience the stark contrast between Western dentistry practice and the day-to-day realities of dentistry at a public dental clinic in a developing country.

Program Highlights

• Acquire hands-on experience that depends largely on your language skills and qualifications.
  • Assisting the dentist according to your skills and experience with dental treatments: dental restorations, crowns, bridges, dentures, root canal therapy, periodontal therapy and extraction of teeth as well as dental examinations and diagnosis
  • Gain Spanish fluency by receiving up to six free Spanish lessons per week
  • Encouraging and teaching prevention of oral diseases through proper hygiene and regular check-ups for professional cleaning and evaluation (special prevention program for pregnant women)
  • Choose to stay with a local family to truly experience way of life and culture in the Dominican Republic.

Program Impact

Your level of possible involvement will largely depend on your professional and Spanish language skills, as well as your motivation and willingness to get involved. Your work schedule will be created in a meeting with the departmental director, the volunteer coordinator and supervisor. As with any medical service, volunteers should recognize that their schedules may be subject to sudden changes and are dictated by patients’ needs.
During this observation and experience program, you will be shadowing the doctors and nurses and you will also be able to get hands-on experience in accordance with your qualifications and language skills. In order to get the most out of your involvement – or if you have a specific healthcare goal – please contact us in a timely manner to discuss your options in detail.

Sun

Dental Care

My experience in Samana with Aldeas de Paz has definitely exceeded my expectation in a couple of different aspects. First, by working as a dental assistant through the dental care program, I was able to work with a dentist side by side, directly interact with patients, and closely observe the reality of dental care in a developing country. Staffs at the hospital including my dentist were very nice to me which made it easy to adapt and become part of the team. It had been a valuable experience that I wouldn’t be able to experience elsewhere. Next, I got to meet amazing people here – other volunteers. Open-minded people with great hearts come here to volunteer and it was great to spend time with them by working and traveling together, sharing stories and lives. I am blessed to have these friendships. Overall, it was a tremendously enriching experience!

Saskia

Dental Care

Thomas

An absolute blast!

A few weeks from when I wrote this, I stepped on to a small budget airliner and made my way across the Caribbean to the Dominican Republic. Before this experience I had never left the United States, and I was unsure what my time in Samana would be like. Needless to say, it was an absolute blast.
I volunteered in a small dental clinic in Las Pascualas, a small, sleepy city on the outskirts of Samana. Volunteering in the clinic opened my eyes to some of the difficulties associated with public health care in a developing country, and it allowed me to look at public service through a different perspective. The dentist I was under was very nice, and incredibly accomidating; an absolute joy to volunteer under.

This trip also allowed me to meet people from around the globe, and develop friendships with people who I would have never come across in daily life. The other volunteers really helped make this trip worthwhile, and I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent with each one of them.

Overall, Aldeas de Paz is a great organization to be apart of. The volunteers work hard to help the people of Samana, and the program director, Manfred, is very enabling. He will go out of his way to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. I stayed in Samana for 28 days, and the time has honestly gone by very quickly. I have learned more than I had hoped to on this adventure, and I definitely recommend it to others.

Brandi

An eye opening journey

I chose Aldeas de Paz as my first trip out of my home country the United States and I am so glad that I did. It was an eye opening journey that taught me a lot about the experiences of those living in a third world setting and a lot about myself as well.  I worked in the dental clinic of the hospital in Samana. I was given the amazing opportunity to work as a dental assistant there within the first three days of my arrival which was more than I was expecting! Everything here is learned in a very hands on manner, so that even in just a month of being here I feel that I have learned and done so much! The staff of the hospital, and all the local people of Samana for that matter, were very patient with me and accepting as I don't speak very much Spanish. Having to adapt to the language and cultural differences only made the experience richer. The rest of the volunteers were also an enormous help in getting me comfortable in the new
environment and seeing that leaving my comfort zone was the most valuable part of this journey. I will never forget the people I met here. I made friends from around the globe, and I will carry these friendships with me the same as my experiences in the Dominican Republic. Overall it was an amazing adventure and has only fueled my fire to experience more of the
world! I would definitely recommend Aldeas de Paz to anyone looking for the same.