Our observation and hands-on dentistry experience is a programme which is aimed at current professionals and aspiring dentists. Assisting at the local hospital-based clinic you will gain first-hand experience of the day-to-day activities at a public dental clinic in a developing country.
This project provides an opportunity to work in a dental clinic which performs common procedures such as: restorative (dental restorations, crowns, bridges, prosthetic (dentures); endodontic (root canal) therapy; periodontal (gum) therapy; and exodontia (extraction of teeth); as well as examinations and diagnosis are performed.
- Acquire hands-on experience that depends largely on your language skills and qualifications.
- Learn dentistry practices while working alongside and spending time with specialists.
- Teach and encourage the prevention of oral diseases to improve the lives of locals.
- Achieve your personal study and career goals with a customized work plan.
- Choose to stay with a local family to truly experience way of life and culture in the Dominican Republic.
Your level of possible involvement will largely depend on your professional and Spanish language skills, as well as your motivation and willingness to get involved. Your work schedule will be created in a meeting with the departmental director, the volunteer coordinator and supervisor. As with any medical service, volunteers should recognize that their schedules may be subject to sudden changes and are dictated by patients’ needs.
During this observation and experience program, you will be shadowing the doctors and nurses and you will also be able to get hands-on experience in accordance with your qualifications and language skills. In order to get the most out of your involvement – or if you have a specific healthcare goal – please contact us in a timely manner to discuss your options in detail.