- Dominican Republic
- Santo Domingo
View Other Details
In the Dominican Republic there are plenty of dogs in need of being rescued, cared for and placed at a loving home. Many dogs are homeless and sick, and you often also find neglected and malnourished horses, mules and cats. It is rare that anyone cares about these animals or gives them the affection and nurturing that they need. The local Veterinary Service provides emergency veterinary services, home and finds dog lovers overseas who are willing to adopt rescued dogs! This Dog rescue project is the perfect placement for volunteers and interns. By raising awareness and educating children about how animals can increase our well-being if we take care of them, you can also contribute to improving the situation in the long run. There is always a lot to do and your support is much needed to be able to continue providing care to the animals and finding new homes, especially for the dogs.
- Caring for dogs, taking them for a walk and maintaining the kennels
- Developing and executing awareness rising and education activities for children or the general population in order to improve the situation of neglected animals in the long run
- Support for the admission of new patients and other administrative procedures
- Supporting veterinarians during medical treatments or participation in the annual castration campaign or operations to neuter or spay animals
- Gaining Spanish fluency by receiving up to six free Spanish lessons per week.
There is always a lot to do and your support is much needed to be able to continue providing care to the animals and finding new homes, especially for the dogs. You can become a part of this project by taking care of the animals, training them and assisting in maintaining the Kennels. The team also always needs experienced vets or vet students that can assist during surgeries, neutering campaigns or similar. If you are a veterinarian or veterinary student you will love this program. It is of advantage if the volunteer or intern has already worked in an animal shelter or a veterinarian clinic, is a veterinary student or a dog walker, etc. But even with little experience you will be of great help! It is important to keep in mind that the farm includes some physical work like cleaning kennels and stables and being outside. Nevertheless, the animals’ love and affection that you will be met with are worth all of the effort!