Affordable Volunteer Programs in Greece from $340

Are you ready for a meaningful adventure on a Greek island? Join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, in Chios, the 5th largest island of Greece.

You can choose from 4 volunteer project options and your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a self-contained apartment, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Greece, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager.

If you thrive on authentic experiences, a vibrant culture that puts the focus on people and cuisine, an abundance of opportunities to grow, exciting adventures and cross-cultural learning, then volunteering in Greece is for you.

• IVHQ’s Greece program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 4th Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable fees from $340 for 1 week - includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • The Greece volunteer program is located in Chios, the fifth largest island in Greece. Volunteer placements are located throughout communities on Chios island.
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 80,000+ volunteers Our programs are tried and tested by thousands every year.
  • Volunteers can fill their free time in Chios Island visiting the many historical sites, beautiful beaches, dining on incredible food or even taking a day trip to Turkey!

Hannah

Once in a lifetime experience

This was my first time volunteering abroad and I am so glad that I was able to volunteer with this program and with the people I got to volunteer with. Everyone was so kind, friendly, and welcoming the moment I arrived.

If you have ever wanted to volunteer abroad and don't know where to start, look no further than IVHQ and if you love outdoors then choose to volunteer in Vic Falls. This program and these people have changed my life and I can't thank them enough for the love and joy they brought into my life during those 2 weeks!

Alexa

IVHQ Ghana

My two months with IVHQ Ghana opened my eyes, and heart, in a way I have never experienced before. I went through the teaching program but was able to participate in agriculture and medical events as well, which was amazing since I was able to learn even more through that! I learned so much about not only the culture, educational system, and way of life, but also about myself. The staff (and locals!) are all so friendly, welcoming, and encouraging. I was able to build relationships with people from across the globe, while also knowing I was making a difference in people's lives, even if in the smallest of ways. Staff members offered support and assistance whenever asked, and checked in every couple of weeks to make sure things were going well with the program/placements. I am excited to begin planning my next adventure to a new country with IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexa - it's so awesome to hear you enjoyed your time on the program and felt supported by our local team while you were in Ghana! Your contribution was much appreciated and I'm so glad to hear you learned so much about not only how local life works but also about yourself in the process. I wish you all the best! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Victor

Ghana: impact with safety

Volunteering abroad is a terrific experience. An in-depth cultural experience while helping those in need, it can really change your perspectives. Ghana is a great destination choice, people are great and welcoming, kids are really nice and it is a safe country to be in and travel around. IVHQ did a great job providing shelter, organizing my stay and enabling you to help wherever you want to. We also had really great local support, specially when with Evans, he will do the best so you can enjoy and feel safe in Ghana, the best guy! Highly recommended!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Victor - thanks for sharing your feedback about your experience in Ghana! It's awesome to hear you felt supported by IVHQ and our local team and that you enjoyed the cultural immersion experience that is available for volunteers on the Ghana Program. Thank you kindly for your contribution and we hope you have you join us again in the future! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Sipping Greek Coffee in Chios, Greece.
Gabrielle

Chios, Greece Kindergarten Program: Based In The Village Of Katarraktis

I had the privilege of being the first IVHQ member to go to Chios, Greece, let alone a volunteer from North America. Let me start off by stating that this trip went above and beyond my expectations and dreams. Between the check ups and preparation through the IVHQ website (which is so easy to work and well organized) to checking up on how my trip was going during my stay. IVHQ also emailed me after my trip came to an end to ask my thoughts on the trip. I booked the flights through IVHQ, well STA Travel, I called and paid and then was sent the itinerary and link to check in for my flights.

Everything went smoothly and when there was boarding confusion, Theo Jones the STA Travel coordinator that booked my flights was there to answer my calls and fixed the issue in a matter of minutes. I traveled 8 hours from Montreal Canada Airport to Geneva Switzerland Airport, from there I flew 4 hours to Athens Greece Airport, and finally from Athens I flew 45 minutes before landing at Chios Greece Airport. Waiting for me eagerly were Maria and Marcos Psora the Local staff for my program. The local staff made sure my accommodations were comfortable, I had their contact information, and they were there for any and everything. Marcos helped to guide me towards places I might want to see, drove me if I had no ride, was warm and made me feel at home. The accommodation I stayed at was in the Village of Katarraktis and it was clean and overlooked the Aegean Sea, with a backdrop of Turkey in the distance. The local staff was all in all amazing and went above and beyond to make sure I had the best experience of their everyday lives. My heart was so full watching the sun set and sun rise with a cup of Greek coffee in hand.

I loved my week long home so much, it was more than I could dream up. I thought to myself quite often, "I died and went to Greek heaven." I could live there forever. The people are so kind, I loved living like a local, taking in the culture, learning some Greek words, eating local authentic Greek food, walking around town, and walking the beaches of Chios. I got to walk to the village over every day to volunteer in the or if it was a bit cold the teachers would give me a lift on the way to school, which was very nice. I felt as if the feeling over overwhelming excitement I had for the trip never went away. I was smiling so much from arrival to departure. I learned a ton about Greek culture, language, and the history of Chios Island. This was a learning experience so special it will remain close to my heart forever. The view on the walk up the mountain to the village over was absolutely lovely, the Aegean Sea with the view of Turkey the entire way up the mountain.

It was such an incredible week with the children. I worked in the program for Kindergarten in the village over from Katarraktis the village I was staying in. Im so happy I got the chance to meet all the locals and learn so much from the kids and the local community in the short time of my stay. I think the exchange of culture, viewpoints and local customs all brought together is such a special thing. I love meeting new people and this trip has inspired me to continue traveling and I hope to stay in contact with all the wonderful people I have met with this trip.

When I got to the school i realized how small the schools are compared to North America, due to the small villages opposed to big towns and cities piled together. The kindergarten I volunteered worked with a class of 14-18 students daily. Class runs from roughly 8:30AM -12:30PM. During this time the children learn, pray, do craft, eat breakfast, sing, and play outside. The teachers were amazingly inviting and very appreciative for the volunteer help. The children were so welcoming and nice and understanding of language barriers.

Because I volunteered in a kindergarten I was able to learn what they were learning since beforehand I knew very little of the Greek language. The week I went was a special one too because this week the schools had a field-trip that I got to partake in. We went to the village over to a museum and a puppet theater, it was so cool. I was as in awe and excited as the children, maybe more so haha. The children are so smart and wild, I enjoyed working with them. I am thankful to have been aiding in their learning experience, as they aided in mine without even realizing it. My trip was full of laughs, deep conversations, good food, smiles, and to mention again..TONS of learning.

Learning about culture and exchanging cultural norms and experiences is something i am so grateful for and appreciate through all my travels. I have all these wonderful opportunities in life, and I am so happy IVHQ lead me to this particular opportunity. I had the time of my life. The feeling I had is the feeling I think of when I speak about traveling and what I wish to do with my life. While writing this review thinking of the memories and the feeling in the moment of this trip puts a huge smile on my face and fills my heart with a content feeling. Before my time in Greece came to an end I was already thinking about my next visit or at least my next trip through IVHQ.

I had my expectations for this trip set pretty high, because it's Greece and when you think of Greece nothing bad comes to mind. That being said, my high expectations were surpassed from the day I had arrived. I don't think I could of predicted just how it would be and just how perfect and wonderful the people, villages, learning experience, and culture would be. Leaving the village, the kindergarten, the people, children, and teachers was utterly bittersweet. I cried while saying goodbye and wrote thank you letters to the local staff and teachers that left a lasting impact on me. I will carry a part of Greece with me forever. This trip has inspired me, showed me so many things and taught me many life lessons I will carry with me for all time. I left Greece with a newly gained perspective on the beautiful world I share with the beautiful souls I had the pleasure to meet along the way. I am from Indiana, USA- but moved to Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Canada on an open work and travel visa for one year.

So upon my departure back to Canada I still carried the 'traveling to somewhere new that I get to explore' feeling. During my flights all I could feel was pure happiness, content/wholesome feelings. My heart is so full. My soul is at pure peace and I don't think I could ever write enough words to convey the raw meaning and true experiences this trip brought into my life. I give IVHQ a 10/10, the staff a 10/10 both local and international, and Greece of course a 10/10. I am so grateful. My first time overseas and solo traveling that is ... was a dream come true, a dream I didn't know I had until I pursued it. Thank you IVHQ!

I had a perfect experience so this is a difficult question. But if I had to say anything I'd say maybe warn people of the weather in the off season but I saw that being done already on the website before applying. and despite the cold weather it wasn't as cold as the Canadian Winter thats for sure. I guess cheaper flights if available, or refund the program fee after we get accepted in our program and submitted. A list of local places to stop and see along the trip. The most annoying thing was very minimal and it was just that you can not email IVHQ on the weekend if you want a response it will have to be the following business day, but we all need breaks I get it. I would love to work with IVHQ that seems like the dream job, but since that is unlikely to happen ill settle for traveling with them for now, haha. Basically you guys have a great thing going and keep up the good work and I'm excited to see this program to continue to flourish and evolve into something even greater as more and more people volunteer with your amazing organization.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi​ ​Gabrielle.​ ​Thanks for sharing such a detailed review of your time on our IVHQ Program in Greece! It's​ ​awesome to hear you had an incredible​ ​and memorable experience​ ​as our first IVHQ volunteer​ in Greece​. ​I'm glad you​ ​enjoyed the​ ​opportunity to immerse yourself in a new culture and​ ​new perspective you've left with. Your feedback on how our program can be improved is really valued too - we're always striving to provide the best possible service so this helps! ​We hope to have you join another IVHQ program soon​, as your travel adventures continue​. ^Jamie-lee - IVHQ Greece Program Manager

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...