Most Affordable Volunteer & Gap Year Programs in Greece from $700 with IVHQ

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer and gap year programs in Greece and 50+ destinations around the world.

Join a crew of like-minded volunteers on Chios, the 5th largest Greek Island and give back on one of 4 volunteer projects:
- Food Outreach
- Kindergarten Support
- School Support
- Special Needs Care

Your program fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation in a self-contained apartment, meals and 24/7 in-country support.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so even before you depart for Greece, you’ll receive outstanding service from our team of Volunteer Travel Specialists and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

If you’re seeking a gap year program or volunteer adventure that enables you to get out of your comfort zone, engage in meaningful volunteer work and experience an authentic side of Greece, this program is for you!

• IVHQ’s Greece program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 4th Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable fees from only $700 for 2 week - includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • The Greece volunteer program is located in Chios, the fifth largest island in Greece. Volunteer placements are located throughout communities on Chios island.
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers Our programs are tried and tested by thousands every year.
  • Volunteers can fill their free time in Chios Island visiting the many historical sites, beautiful beaches, dining on incredible food or even taking a day trip to Turkey!

This Month Only: Get A Free Virtual Volunteer Course

Register this month for any IVHQ volunteer program and get free access to the Certificate In International Volunteering online course from the Global Travel Academy. More than 35 IVHQ programs have already reopened with additional health and safety measures in place + with IVHQ's flexible booking, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination if your plans change.

Popular Programs

Kindergarten Support Volunteer & Gap Year Program in Greece with IVHQ

If you love working with children and are passionate about supporting early childhood development, this project is highly rewarding opportunity. Play a key role is assisting early childhood teachers in Greece with running a local kindergarten. You'll be involved in a wide range of tasks inside and outside the classroom, laying important foundations for teachers and providing highly valued support.

School Support Volunteer & Gap Year Program in Greece with IVHQ

Help increase access to education while providing valuable assistance to teachers and administrators within local schools in Greece. Your contribution will go a long way in helping to lay the groundwork for success in the classroom.

Hi Kobe, Yes, IVHQ has a dedicated Groups Team that can help manage your group. For more details on starting a group, visit our website, www.volunteerhq.org/volunteer-abroad-group/

Brittany

Greece

From turning something off my bucket list into a reality. This program was such a breathtaking experience, from the culture to the people to the set up of the program So happy I found IVHQ to help make my volunteer trip as easy as possible when it came to traveling solo for the first time. Taking pages from my textbooks and putting it right in front of me! My favorite part of the trip was being able to make friends from different parts of the world, walking along the coast of Chios, learning about the culture and helping around the school distract during their summer vacation. Not only did IVHQ allow me to be apart of something meaningful it allowed me to grow as a person and gave me the confidence to continue to travel solo later down the road!

One thing I believe should improve is the communication of the team organizing this trip. It was hard to get in contact with the head of place.
female
Shawna

Amazing experience!

I spent a week doing food outreach on Chios island in Greece through IVHQ. The support from staff provided clear expectations and helpful info. They were available daily if needed. It was great to help out and yet have time to experience the culture of the island. I had a great group of roommates and enjoyed getting to know people from all over the world. The project was rewarding and the staff was very helpful. I enjoyed having the opportunity to help out and learn about their program. I also enjoyed afternoons enjoying this beautiful island. The people that lived in the village where our accommodation was located were friendly and we enjoyed spending time with them as well. Enough free time to travel and explore. I will definitely be signing up for another project!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shawna. Thanks so much for your lovely review! It's so great to hear you had an amazing time on our program in Greece and got to experience much of what Chios has to offer. We hope to have you back on another IVHQ program soon. Jamie-Lee - IVHQ Program Manager.

Read my full story
Zahra

MAD ABOUT GASCAR

Being a fifteen-year-old from India, where volunteer travel is sparse, I knew several curious friends and relatives would soon flood me with questions about my trip. I deliberated hard to think of just one word to describe my trip. The word that immediately came to my mind? Surreal. It seemed truly fantastical that I was half-way around the world, with a chicken living under my bed, waking up to rainbows and private beaches next to strangers that I felt like I had known for months.

Naturally just like any other holiday, I had a moment of hesitation before making my decision to go. Would I fit in being the youngest and from a diverse country? Was it safe? Was it worth it? Dear volunteer friends, if there is one thing I hope you would take back from this review, it would be to let nothing hold you back from this other-worldly adventure. 'Madagascar'-the name itself has a magical tinge to it. Not a place that is commonly visited, but take it from me, now that I'm back, a part of me will always belong there. Trust me, I did not feel homesick for a second.
Contributing to the forest conservation program, many exciting activities awaited me.

Working all day at an agro-forest was one of my first tasks there. Hard at work, it was so fulfilling to learn that the work all us volunteers had accomplished in a matter of four hours, the farmer would take around a month to complete by himself. Hiking to the local village everyday and having numerous local children running around me in circles, so full of life, enthusiastically trying to interact and use the english taught to them brought back this child-like joy that I thought the city had robbed me of. Their lives are so basic, but they are so, so happy, and that is one big take away from this program. We also performed transects and quadrats to record the herpetofauna in the Sambirano forests, in addition to lemur behavioral surveys. Without giving away too much, I was actually stunned to see before my own eyes, lemurs becoming more and more domesticated and the consequences on their health. I was also honored to be a part of a new program, encouraging the distribution of bamboo straws to bars in order to reduce plastic straw waste in the oceans.

Also, Malagasy lessons after dinner had us all in fits of laughter, while weekend travel with my newly-found friends was something I find hard to even describe. Nosy Iranja is considered the second most beautiful place in the world. However, when I was there under the sky studded with a million stars in the clear sky, all I could think was that my newly-acquired friends there were the only factors that could make the island any more beautiful.

My favourite memory? It was the last day, and I sat by myself on a rock on the private beach. It was almost sunset, and the clouds in the distance had this divine parting to make way for the sun. The big golden ball of fire lit an entire pathway on the ocean that appeared to come straight to me where I was sitting. And in that moment, the island was mine. The people there were my family, I found friends, I found love, and I had made up my mind as to what made me happy. I now knew what I wanted to do with my life. I had never felt more blessed.
All my life I've been an introvert behind a computer screen. I've had a fondness for conservation ever since I was little, but I never felt like it was a valid interest. At Madagascar, more than the sizzling Instagram beach snaps I got, I learnt to believe in myself all over again. With each volunteer I befriended and each intellectual discussion with the staff about conservation, I learnt to be confident again and believe in my passion because it was significant, even if no one I knew believed it was.

If my application works out, who knows, maybe I'll be the youngest ambassador there's ever been for IVHQ. All I'm saying is Madagascar gave me a new purpose. So so much more than just a volunteer trip, it's allowed me to be a part of something so much bigger, so much better, in our own small way, we made the world a better place. And that, in my opinion, is the epitome of bliss :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Zahra! It is amazing to read more about your time on the program, and the opportunity you had to put your environmental management studies to practical work. Even though you were one of the youngest volunteers we have had on the program, you were an amazing member of the team, even winning volunteer of the week before you left. It also sounds like you really made the most of your time in Madagascar, experiencing everything the area has to offer, and we look forward to having you join IVHQ again one day!

Cynthia

Live laugh love

Seriously the best experience in my life. Have an open mind and I assure you you will have a blast. Be prepared to meet people from over the world and most importantly emerge and respect the local culture. Don’t think twice when volunteering,, do it and stay as long as you can you won’t regret it. Some people on my program were not pleased about the program they chose so make a wise selection. If you have donde it before you will enjoy it more. I personally did childcare and I loved every second of it.

I had a very open mind and I honestly did not see any bad things. Loved it
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Cynthia! We're glad to hear you had such an amazing time in South Africa. We look forward to having you back to volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager

Kien

IVHQ Greece - Worthwhile activities, caring organizers and a magnificient location

I had the chance to volunteer for IVHQ in Chios, Greece. My recommendation for this organization comes directly from one week of cheerful and meaningful experience.

Before I embarked on this trip, I had never heard of IVHQ before; I was nervous and did not know which direction whether the trip was heading toward. But my initial anxiety soon turned out to be a springboard for the excitement to come.

There are three important aspects one might want to consider when signing up for a volunteer program: The main mission, the people behind it, and the place where your trip takes place. I can definitely tell you that excellence can be found within all three factors of the trip IVHQ offers in Chios.

The very goal of volunteering was, for me, achieved! In one week, I managed to create a public art for a local kindergarten. It was celebrated by the children and their parents alike. This project has deeply satisfied me and has given me new ideas for public artworks in the future. And just in case you thought that public art was a part of the program, it was not! I proposed it later, and it was gladly accepted. IVHQ's volunteer trip really caught me by surprise with the flexibility in what you could contribute to the community. If you think your passion and talents can add something unique to the program, please feel free to share your thoughts with the organizers!

Speaking of which, the organizers from IVHQ Greece are very outgoing and helping. Markos and Maria are the organizers for IVHQ. Being native Greek, they will help you get used to the culture and traditions of the land and show you how to get around. In their free time, both are open for the invitation for a drink. I'm proud to say that I now know two lovely friends from Greece!

Finally, the volunteer trip was held on a beautiful Mediterranean island. Having wandered around Chios in my free time (just in case you don't know, free time is also abundant!), I can say that this island has something to offer to anyone: from the historical medieval villages, the festive town of Chios, to the breath-taking beaches to the grandiose hills on which beautiful sunset can be seen from miles away.

The diversity of Chios is really astounding! I hope that in the future, a variety of available activities can be widened. For instance, I would absolutely love to volunteer for a museum in Chios. Cultural activities in the kindergarten- like singing and guitar playing- can also be interesting!
Amy

IVHQ South Africa Surf Outreach

I volunteered in South Africa with IVHQ surf outreach. We surfed and played everyday with the children of the townships. My heart is forever in South Africa. What an amazing experience, the children don't have lives like most, but make the most out of everyday. They have so much passion for life. Everyone forgets all their worries, and just goes for it in the waves, having a blast everyday. I met volunteers from around the world here, and I think of them as family now. So many adventures and memories this experience was everything I could have asked for. IVHQ did a wonderful job, from the airport pick up, to the housing, food, and 24 hour support. I loved volunteering so much I plan on going again!

Nothing it is perfect!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Amy, thanks for taking the time to post your reviews! It is great that you got to share your passion for surfing through volunteering while you were travelling. I know both the children and local team loved your enthusiasm and effort you put into everyday. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager

Hannah

Once in a lifetime experience

This was my first time volunteering abroad and I am so glad that I was able to volunteer with this program and with the people I got to volunteer with. Everyone was so kind, friendly, and welcoming the moment I arrived.

If you have ever wanted to volunteer abroad and don't know where to start, look no further than IVHQ and if you love outdoors then choose to volunteer in Vic Falls. This program and these people have changed my life and I can't thank them enough for the love and joy they brought into my life during those 2 weeks!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for the review and also sharing your blog with everyone on the Facebook page! We are so glad that you took the opportunity to volunteer abroad and chose to do this with IVHQ. The time and effort you put into the program were appreciated by everyone that you worked with. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Alexa

IVHQ Ghana

My two months with IVHQ Ghana opened my eyes, and heart, in a way I have never experienced before. I went through the teaching program but was able to participate in agriculture and medical events as well, which was amazing since I was able to learn even more through that! I learned so much about not only the culture, educational system, and way of life, but also about myself. The staff (and locals!) are all so friendly, welcoming, and encouraging. I was able to build relationships with people from across the globe, while also knowing I was making a difference in people's lives, even if in the smallest of ways. Staff members offered support and assistance whenever asked, and checked in every couple of weeks to make sure things were going well with the program/placements. I am excited to begin planning my next adventure to a new country with IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexa - it's so awesome to hear you enjoyed your time on the program and felt supported by our local team while you were in Ghana! Your contribution was much appreciated and I'm so glad to hear you learned so much about not only how local life works but also about yourself in the process. I wish you all the best! ^Kaila - IVHQ Ghana Program Manager