A Broader View: Volunteer Guatemala 5 social programs

A Broader View: Volunteer Guatemala 5 social programs

Antigua Guatemala is one of the most charming colonial towns in the Americas. Founded in 1543, Antigua was the capital of the area that is now Guatemala, Chiapas, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica until 1777, when the capital was moved to present-day Guatemala City after a disastrous earthquake. Antigua was largely, but not completely, abandoned and retained its colonial ambiance to this day. Some buildings still lie in ruins, many others have been painstakingly restored according to original construction plans, giving Antigua a unique historic ambience that make the town one of the most attractive and charming in Latin America.

North America » Guatemala » Antigua
North America » Guatemala

Virginia
California

My experience was more than I expected.

My experience was more than I expected. I enjoyed every second of it. Learning at the clinic, meeting people and enjoying helping out. I fell in love with the city of Quetzaltenango and the people, so much so that I´m considering studying here and develop my medical career as a pediatrician in Guatemala.
The moment I got to the host family, I felt very welcomed by the family and comfortable. The host mom was very attentive about me going out, eating well and took good care of me when I got a cold. The girls were very nice and I got along with them like I had known them my whole life. The whole time I was there I never felt unsafe or unwanted.
At the medical center I was able to go around in the different “clinics” they have. I helped in the HIV clinic, family planning, pharmacy and pediatrics. I was surprised that I was able to do so much, including injecting birth control shots. I learned a lot more here than I thought. My favorite memory was getting to see the doctor suture up a man´s eyebrow. I was able to learn the stitching technique, as well as helping him out.
The coordinators were very helpful and easy to reach in case of an emergency. The office was nearby, which was easy because I could meet up with them and also make payments for weekend tours. The organization of the weekend trips was very reliable and I felt very comfortable going places.
The support in the US was amazing. I asked the online operator lots of questions and concerns and always got a reply back fairly quickly. When I called, the lady who picked up made me feel really safe about my decision to come to Guatemala, and I felt very encouraged. Wonderful experience.

Conrad
NY

ER Rural Clinic

I can’t express how much I enjoyed working at the rural clinic. The staff at the clinic was wonderful and they really need help! I would tell volunteers that in this setting you will only as helpful as you make yourself available to be. Come, work hard, enjoy your experience!
My host family was great and all of us grew to be good friends. We would occasionally go out to get a beer and in general we all enjoyed each other’s company. Food was great, and the rooms were big and comfortable. I would definitely recommend ABV

Garret
San Jose CA

Animal Care Center

When I first signed up for the Guatemala Animal Care Center program, I didn’t know what to expect. Volunteering in a different country was definitely a challenge for me. Navigating the streets, talking to the locals and eating new food are all part of the experience. Issues will come up in new environments and I can attest that it was overwhelming. Losing items and getting lost to name a few. It takes time to get comfortable for some volunteers. Interactions with the animals at the care center, cleaning their straw beds and play areas, and providing them with food are all good memories. Volunteering at the animal program was an up close and personal experience to witness first-hand how to care for many varieties of animals.
Through the volunteering you’ll find that there is help needed from you. Any work will be appreciated and acknowledged. This is the best feeling. So be proactive and show initiative.

Robin
Norwalk

Guatemala January 2016

I had no idea what to expect when traveling to Xela. When I got here, I was so surprised by the number of people, the colors, the sounds, the smells – it was truly walking in to a different world. I try to keep an open mind solely to have experiences like I did when I first got here. It was amazing. I have to say that this was by far one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. Having the opportunity to utilize my clinical skills to help those who so desperately need it was truly incredible. I was blown away by the kindness and gratitude of the patients that we came into contact with. I would love to return to Xela in the future when I have more experience and more to give, and can speak more Spanish.

Carley
Pittsburgh

Woman Shelter Guatemala

I had one of the best experiences of my life in Xela Guatemala. I loved helping the people here but more importantly I loved the people. As a nurse, it is so intriguing to see how other healthcare systems operate! It was wonderful to have a skill set to be able to share with them! They were so welcoming of me and let me practice immediately!
My Spanish teacher was incredible and it was so encouraging to be able to communicate more and more.
The shelter was the best of all! It was so wonderful to love on girls who have been wronged! It was amazing to establish real relationships with them. Also, it was great to get to see them open Christmas presents!
My homestay was absolutely wonderful! They were described as wonderful, but I don´t think that does them justice. They were incredibly attentive to any need I had, and genuinely cared about my safety! I felt safe in almost every place in Xela because my coordinators and homestay family advised me where to go! This was a great experience, two thumbs up!

Miro
milford, ct
University of Bridgeport

Second trip to Guatemala with Abroaderview

This volunteer trip to Guatemala did certainly opened my eyes to the fact that I am so lucky to have been born into a financially comfortable and healthy family – other people are not so lucky. Because of this I want to continue giving back! This was my second time in Xela with Abroaderview and I have fallen even more in love with this city. From the culture to the friendly people, I will certainly miss it. Our host family kept us very comfortable. I was always warm enough, fed and rested. It was great that they only spoke Spanish because it really helped me improve my own. I will forever be amazed by the warmth and hospitality of these wonderful people. I came here to help them, but they really ended up helping me to be a better person!

KarenRieke

What a wonderful experience

I wasn´t sure what to expect when I went to Xela and was a little nervous about going to a foreign place for three months, but now I am so glad that I did it! It was a wonderful experience to serve the people of Guatemala and to become integrated into the culture here as well. I made many great friends. I also got to participate in many activities and see many places around Guatemala which were all great experiences. I will miss it here very much and I hope to return someday soon!
Bring warm clothing if you come during the winter months because it was colder than I had anticipated, and there was more rain than I had expected. Other than that, don´t worry about bringing EVERYTHING because you can find most of what you need at the local mall.
The accommodations were great. I love my host family and will miss them greatly. They were always so hospitable and I was taken very good care of the whole time. I never felt like I was lacking anything I needed while in country at the house. They are my second family.

Wayne
Troy
University of Michigan

Great time in Guatemala

This was one of the most amazing 10 weeks I have been through. Every person I met, every experience, every day brought something new. I can’t stress how much this experience honestly changed my life. I’ve always wanted to travel and I finally got the chance and took it through ABV. It was well worth it.
The Host Family and the students (both local and otherwise) who were living with were all incredible. As far as actual security in the city, I was blown away. I never really felt threatened or in danger. I was certainly smart, kept to main streets and where people were, but not overly scared to walk alone or anything like that.
Don’t be afraid to open up. This may mean to the clinical staff or to yourself. I forged what I think could easily be lifelong friendships with many of the staff in the clinic. They will always have a place in my  heart and its almost certainly likewise for them. In terms of yourself, be willing to go and travel, even if on your own, and meet new people. Everyone in Guatemala, locals, travelers, and transplants, are some of the most amazing people I have ever met and will likely meet. With a simple conversation with someone and your almost guaranteed to learn something new or find something in common.
Going out dancing with all of the nurses and my friend volunteer Patricia. It was always just sooooo much fun to hang out with the staff and the fellow volunteers and dancing La Paranda with them was jut that much more fun.

Katy
Iowa
University of Iowa

Guatemala Quetzaltenango. Love the Program

Layers!! Layers are the bread and butter of this town. Temperatures change fast so layers are useful. Beautiful climate however. Also maybe bring granola bars if you really like that stuff, because that is pretty expensive here. Also bringing donations on the flight is much cheaper and totally easy to do. You´ll always wish you brought more to give! The first day with the kids and enjoying their welcoming attitudes. So refreshing. I also really enjoyed all weekend trips. Tikal, Rio Dulce, Antigua, Chichicastenango, all so great! a.- Be open! b.- Stay positive c.- Don’t compare d.- Take it in strides e.- SMILE! It always lifts your mood and those around you! Overall I had a fantastic time here. The work was rewarding, I met amazing people I´ll be friends with for a long while, and the host family experience is invaluable!

Honestly just the altitude. And maybe the food a bit. I really started to crave veggies and fruit, but there is ample places to buy here

ABV
Calvin College

I recommend A Broader View!

I volunteered through A Broader View’s medical program after completing year three of four years of nursing school and was placed in a government run clinic in Alotenango. I highly recommend this opportunity to anyone who has a basic medical background and a proficient level of Spanish. A Broader View was very helpful in setting me up with the appropriate placement. The communication with staff was always quick and informative and the experience was well worth the price. My host family was very welcoming and caring. We were fed well and the house itself exceeded my expectations. I had my own room with a full sized bed and we even had wifi in the house. I developed great relationships with my host family and the health care staff at the clinic. I am still in contact with them and know that I want to return in the future. I was able to offer my skills and talents and in return received experiences and knowledge that I would not have been able to receive in the United States. Every day when I arrived, I looked forward to seeing the healthcare staff already beginning the day with the clinic filled with patients waiting to be seen. I love the staff because they are all so caring for their people. They could easily start their own private healthcare practices and earn much more money; however they are so compassionate and choose to work in public health. Once I developed a routine at the clinic, I usually began the morning completing the pre-consultations with another nurse, another volunteer, or by myself if we were short on staff. We usually had about thirty for the first half of the day. Often after finishing that task, I would be directed to whichever special clinic within the larger clinic needed some extra help. Sometimes it was to the vaccination clinic, the women’s clinic, the pharmacy, or to shadow the doctor. Through the variety of experiences, I was able to learn so much about healthcare in Guatemala and notice the differences and similarities with healthcare in the United States. The staff taught me how to do so many things so that by the end of my stay there they trusted me with running the clinics on my own. The nurses frequently went to various health education conferences and they were thankful to have me to fill in for them. This was something that I certainly did not expect, but felt honored that they trusted me with these important roles. Other times, I would go with several nurses into the village looking for the children who still needed to be vaccinated in order to meet the government’s quotas. As I spent more time there, the staff developed some additional roles for me. Because the pregnancy rate among girls and teenagers is so high, I would teach the girl who came into the clinic about issues related to reproduction and pregnancy prevention. The education regarding sexual health is lacking significantly so I was glad to be given the opportunity to discuss these issues with them. There is something really beautiful and significant about being able to share part of your life with different people--so much to teach and share with each other. I am so incredibly thankful for all of the people who made this opportunity available to me and those who were part of my experience in Guatemala. I recommend that anyone considering participating in this program do it. I loved every moment--it is life changing and certainly gave me a broader view of the world. Thank you ABV!

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all your