Become a Global Health Volunteer in India!

Become a Global Health Volunteer in India!

FIMRC's Project Kodaikanal, located in the scenic mountains of southern India, creates better health services and educational opportunities for the community through the operation of a rural clinic, extensive outreach efforts, and providing support to local hospitals and crèches (day care centers).

Volunteers maintain important roles in the clinic through assisting with intake and pharmacy operations. Volunteers also have the opportunity to observe medical staff in our clinic and local hospitals, allowing for a unique glimpse into the delivery of care in the area. Outside FIMRC's clinic, volunteers accompany staff during home visits, travel to crèche partners to assist with nutrition supplementation and well child checks, as well as deliver health based talks on topics such as vaccinations and basic sanitation.

Over the course of your trip you'll receive an unfiltered experience in health care field work abroad, and learn about the tremendous impact that even one person can have!

Asia » India
1 Year+
Guesthouse
Hotel
The cost of your program includes the program donation that supports our project sites as well as housing, some meals, and transportation. Transportation includes airport pick up/drop off and transportation to volunteer activities. Airfare is not included. By arranging lodging, food, and transport for you, we enable you to safely experience the local culture and focus your energy on the work you will be doing in the community!

Nicolas
Dublin
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

Kodaikanal India with FIMRC

I think the greatest part for me, as a medical student, was being given the chance to discuss the major differences between how medicine is practiced in the West, and in larger Indian cities, with all the toys and gadgets and funding necessary to run a top of the line hospital with the doctors who were making due with limited resources, and too many patients. It puts into perspective how wasteful one can be and how carefully one has to manage medical resources.
As a volunteer and tourist I found the town to be lively, interesting, and a great visit. The entire trip was relaxing and very enjoyable and the interactions with the other volunteers is great. The evening walks were also refreshing just before a home cooked meal. The creche visits were also fantastic. The children were great and happy to see us and play.

Amy
New Jersey
The College of New Jersey

Project Kodaikanal

I really loved my experience at Project Kodaikanal! Now I am in medical school, and I am always referring back to what I did in the months that I was in Kodiakanal, but I'll try to cut it a little short for this review!

Most mornings of my internship were spent helping out in the various departments at the local hospital. I was able to shadow and work with a general practictioner, dentist, physiotherapist, and ophthalmologist. In addition, the hospital has a pharmacy, lab, and an optometrist. Not only did I gain an invaluable experience for my future medical career while rotating through these different departments, but it was readily evident how much the subsidized healthcare that the hospital provided impacted every one of the patients I encountered. Nowhere else would they be able to receive these services for the price that they did and nowhere else would they have such a comprehensive healthcare experience. Patients were able to come and have their teeth and eyes checked on the same day in the same location. In addition to saving money on their actual healthcare costs, this meant that the patients only had to take a few hours off of work and saved money on transportation, as well. Further, each year, the hospital hosts a free plastic surgery camp for burn victims and those with congenital defects. Patients from around the country come just for this. It was the first time that I got the chance to be scrubbed into the operating room, but also the first time that a grateful patient requested for me to be beside them!

In the afternoons, we would go to local creches, where we conducted weekly health check-ups on the children. Powered by tourism, Kodaikanal’s economy depends on the service sector, and, thus, most people have menial jobs as daily laborers. These jobs simply do not bring in enough to supply children with nutritious meals. The consequence? The children of Kodaikanal locals are underweight and malnourished, in contrast to those of the tourists that so often storm the same streets. Through the Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC), I was able to start up a nutrition program in three local crèches because I believe with the proper education and some financial support, parents can act upon the already existing desire to provide the best future for their children.

Basically, my internship was an invaluable experience. The staff at the site have already asked me to return and I have promised them that I will when I am a doctor and hopefully, will be able to make even greater changes while there!

I really do not think much could be improved, but apparently no program is perfect. So, I would say that it takes a while getting used to the Indian perception of time. Coming from the USA, I was used to everything operating on time. In Kodaikanal, I would be told that we would leave for the hospital at 10 AM. So, I would be ready a few minutes early and then end up being very frustrated when we did not leave until an hour later. But after a week or so I got used to it, and just planned something I could do in the morning! I believe this has more to do with the site location and culture rather than the organization itself!

Nithya
Atlanta, GA
Georgia State University

Project Kodaikanal

When I arrived at the FIMRC guesthouse, I knew right away that I was going to have a special experience. The staff was very welcoming. I was the only volunteer at the time, so naturally, I had many concerns as to how this trip would play out. My worries were quickly thrown out once I felt the warmth and love this place has to offer. It was incredible to see how the clinics and hospitals functioned with limited resources. I felt myself applying the knowledge I've learned in class, gaining new skills I would have never even imagined practicing, and genuinely caring for each and every patient that walked through the clinic doors. Outside of the incredible experience at the hospitals, I was blown away by the natural beauty that surrounds this city. I thank each and every person I encountered, especially the nurses, doctors, and patients, who helped me strengthen my vision of pursuing a career in healthcare.

Honestly, I have no complaints at all. In the one week I was there, I gained much more than an engaging experience; I gained a new perspective on international medical relief.

I volunteered with FIMRC during the end of December. The temperature was much colder than what I would've expected. I recommend those traveling during the colder seasons to pack a lot of warm clothing.

The Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the health of families in the developing world through innovative and self-sustainable health programs. Operating since 2002, we have grown to ten project sites in nine countries including: Costa