• India

Apartment Guesthouse
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $250 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Aug 02, 2022
Sep 16, 2022
88 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 120,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in India and 50+ destinations around the world.

You can choose from 12 volunteer project options: Childcare, Health, Slum Teaching or Teaching and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in local homestay or volunteer house with like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so even before you even, you’ll receive outstanding service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure training.

If you thrive on fast-paced city life, an abundance of opportunities to grow, exciting experiences at every turn and authentic interactions with local people, volunteering in Delhi is for you.

Consider your impact: Volunteering abroad can be a rewarding experience for both volunteers and local communities, and at Go Overseas, we believe all volunteers should have the resources to make informed decisions about the type of volunteer project they want to partake in. However, despite best intentions, some organizations offering placements in orphanages may unknowingly place children in danger. You can read about the potential dangers of orphanage volunteering here. Learn more about how International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ is promoting ethical volunteering.

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s India - Delhi program is available year-round, starting on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees from $250 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top rated programs
  • Incredible add-ons available, including a Taj Mahal trip and a tour of Goa
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 120,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Popular Programs

India Childcare Project

The aim of this project is to provide assistance to childcare centers in India which are often at full capacity due to the high incidences of poverty and illness. These centers are​​ often overcrowded and under resourced with a high demand for volunteer assistance​.

This project is well suited to caring and enthusiastic volunteers, who have an interest in working with children aged 4-8 years old from disadvantaged backgrounds.

India Healthcare Project

Volunteers on the Health project work in either local hospitals or slum clinics, shadowing well-respected physicians who are passionate about sharing their knowledge and expertise, while offering a valuable insight into the healthcare system of one of the world’s fastest growing countries.

Volunteers on the Slum Clinic placement will have the opportunity to perform more hands-on tasks such as treating minor injuries as well as cleaning and bandaging wounds.

India Slum Teaching Project

For many children in India, school is simply not an option. It is estimated that there are more than 11 million marginalized and vulnerable street children in India. Many of these children work in the streets with their parents selling goods, foraging and performing to make a living. Volunteers on this project play an important role in providing the children within these communities access to basic education along with new opportunities that they would otherwise been deprived of.

• 9-10 rating 92.93%
  • 7-8 rating 7.07%
Malachy

An amazing and valuable experience with IVHQ

I am very grateful for having been able to volunteer in India with IVHQ. The program was very well organized and the accommodation and food were great.
With IVHQ you have the opportunity to not only experience a new country and culture, but also to make a positive and lasting impact on the local community. To share experiences with the local people and meet lots of new friends with your fellow volunteers from all over the world.
It was a very valuable learning experience for both me and the students of my class and I would definetely recommend IVHQ to everyone who is looking to volunteer abroad.

Pros
  • Excellent food and accommodation
  • Make a positive impact on the local community
  • Experience a new country and culture
1 person found this review helpful.
Richard

Teaching English and Woman Empowerment

Taught English and Woman Empowerment in Kerala , India .
Terrific experience in improving students English abilities . A lot of constructive time spent discussing the differences in Western and Indian culture and customs .
Teaching in this country enabled me to learn so much about this great country as we proceeded to explore different aspects of life . Areas covered included cost of living differences , family life and the strong family commitment , arranged marriages and music .Teaching English in slum area of Cochin and engaging with the children. Also found time to visit Mumbai and the Golden Triangle . Great country and people.

Pros
  • Understanding culture
  • Great students
  • Visiting this fantastic country
Cons
  • ATM machines erratic
Chris

Medical Program India

I found the program well organized and overall attentive to volunteer's needs. I spent 5 weeks in the "slum clinic" which was run by local doctors providing basic medical care. As a retired family practitioner I felt quite at home and found patient's overall very glad to meet me and they made me feel quite welcome. The doctors are quite knowing and willing to discuss just about anything. Language barrier was probably the biggest problem but definitely nothing that could not be overcome. Meeting other volunteers rewarding. Traveling into Delhi and surrounding areas was wonderful. The most rewarding for me was learning the culture including the religion which is extremely interesting. Going in with a humble attitude is essential. Food was interesting, mostly vegetarian with milk and eggs included, curry a staple. While many volunteers loved it, as I am not a fan of spicy foods, I did quite well by requesting "not too spicy".

I think there could be a more organized brochure on things to do, how to travel and where to go in India from our particular site, though this is a small hindrance for anyone adventurous willing to put in some effort and communicate with people.
Vignesh

A month in India

It's hard to describe, or even put into words; my time in India. India was my second volunteer trip with IVHQ, previous one being; Zambia, Africa. With a new country came new challenges, environment and experiences. My previous trip in Zambia, I was volunteering in the Construction Project; helping build a school. For India, I decided to do teaching. Helping teach English in a lower income school, as well as a preschool. It was a rewarding, yet challenging experience. Having to draw on completely different skills and tools to achieve our desired outcome. Volunteers were given a healthy amount of support and guidance from the local team. Volunteers also had transport provided to their placements as part of their fees, which was delightful. Compared to Zambia, volunteers had to arrange their own transport to their placement, many renting bikes from the volunteer house to travel to their schools, or taking taxis. IVHQ are good at what they do. Well structured programs with plenty of support and guidance from the local team. Each volunteer is adequately introduced to their new environments during orientation. Given adequate information to dive into their new surroundings and placements, building a strong base, which they can develop on as they continue forward. The accommodation in India was quite different to accommodation in Zambia, with volunteers staying in apartment building. There were three apartments on one level, with multiple rooms. Each room contained 3 beds as well as a balcony area. This layout was wonderful in a social sense, it made it very easy to talk to everyone and socialize. All volunteers ate upstairs in the volunteer kitchen and dinning area. The atmosphere would always be wonderful during dinner time, giving you a chance to talk to all your peers.
Social life at the volunteer house was also amazing. Everyone had an insatiable thirst for exploring. During the week, we would travel to Delhi and explore the bustling city, but during the weekend. Many volunteers would leave Faridabad and complete the golden Triangle. Which consisted of cities such as Jaipur, Udaipur, Rishikesh and Agra.
The moments and bonds you develop from volunteering are hard to compare to anything else. Traveling as a Volunteer, you get the opportunity to travel and experience a country in a way you never would as simply a tourist. Meeting people, you normally wouldn't meet, and getting to know them on a personal and intimate level. Being surrounded with like minded individuals, really enhances any trip. Sadly, this year I've chosen to take a hiatus from Volunteering to focus on my studies. However, next year. I plan to travel again as a volunteer, and without a doubt. I will be choosing IVHQ, to do so. Being a proud Kiwi, it's amazing to see, how a company from little old New Zealand, is making a difference in the world, and connecting people from around the world, that normally would never cross paths. I have made some unforgettable memories from my trips abroad, and more so, unbreakable bonds. I have met people that how not only changed my life, but opened doors to new possibilities and outcomes, that would have not occurred, if I had not met them. These people are now family, and have changed my life in many glorious ways.
Volunteering will change your whole outlook on life. It will open your eyes, to a world you never knew existed. It will challenge you in ways, you had never been challenged before. Some days, you will struggle. You may miss home. You may miss your friends and family. But once, all is said and done. You will not regret a single moment. You will grow and mature at a rate, you can only achieve through something like volunteering. Being thrown into the deep end. In a crazy new environment; you adapt.

Don't think about. Don't hesitate. Jump in head first and enjoy the ride. A country like India, will open your eyes to the injustice of the world, but it will also open your eyes to the beauty of life. We live in a world of excess, flooded with first world problems. It shows you, what's important in life. How thousands of people are getting by just fine, happy and content, with what they have. Compared to us, it's not much, but for them. It's plenty. Go with an open mind, and experience everything to the fullest. Destroy all preconceived notions the moment you step off that plane.
Kate

Absolutely incredible!

I went to Kerala on the kindergarten project and had the most incredible time! The staff in the house were absolutely lovely! And extremely helpful when it came to lesson planning or just our general questions about the area or culture! I went for 3 weeks and I would recommend doing longer as I did not want to leave!! But it was an experience I will never forget and hopefully I’ll have a chance to go back next year 💕 I would recommend this experience to anyone! While we were here there was a woman volunteering with her 13 year old son and he seemed to enjoy the experience as much as everyone else so it might be a nice trip to take with your kids to show them the other side of the world and just how different it is!! There is nothing I can say bad about this trip!!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could do it all over again I would stay longer! I had no other complaints just that I had to leave
Liam

Amazing Experience with IVHQ

I had an amazing experience volunteering with IVHQ in the Delhi slum clinic. I was at the clinic for 2 weeks and wish that I had have planned to stay for longer. The slum clinic is a very hands on experience. The IVHQ team worked as a sort of triage to manage the high volume of people who visit for the doctor. We mainly delt with individuals who were low income and relied on the free clinic to manage CVD, diabetes, and chronic pain. We therefore conducted a lot of blood pressure and sugar checks. We also met a lot of people dealing with rashes and fungal infections during the hotter season. This experience also help us to understand what life is like for these individuals. I would highly recommend volunteering with IVHQ. There programs are well established in the community and ensure that volunteers are safe and feel welcome. They were also very flexibale and ensure that any dietary restrictions or other accommodations are met.

If there was more organization at the slum clinic the people who visited could have been much more effectively managed. Many of the people who go to the clinic are there weekly however the new volunteers are not informed of this or their history prior.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Liam, thanks for your review! It was great to hear that you enjoyed your time on the program and it sounds like you had an awesome experience. Your review provides a great insight of what future volunteers can expect from the program. We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ again in the furture! Samantha - IVHQ Program Manager

Angela

IVHQ India Health Volunteer

Overall, great experience. You really got to submerge in the culture. Wasn't the most organized when I got there, but definitely a unique once in a lifetime experience! Recommend if you're trying to travel and volunteer on a budget. Definitely affordable! Traveling on the weekends is amazing and they're very helpful with that in terms of tips to stay safe and best ways to get around. Great place to meet people from all over the world. # weeks was plenty of time for me. I am a nursing student and did the health project. It was amazing to see a completely different culture and how they practice medicine as well as getting exposure to different patient cases and learning from it all. This was definitely a great trip to remember as well as to grow and learn from.

better organization of the volunteer sites is needed
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Angela, thanks for your feedback! It is great to hear that you had a real cultural and unique experience in India! We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ again in the future! Samantha - IVHQ Program Manager.

Jessica

My dream trip

Without a doubt, the best experience of my life so far. Not only you have the opportunity to help children and families from vulnerable areas, but also you know people from all over the world who share that same energy as you. I could tell you my adventures, but why not experience yours? Volunteering is something that all people should do at least once in life because it teaches us very valuable things such as respect and the acceptance of multiculturalism.
The program offers you the opportunity to help and meet wonderful people and also travel to learn more about the country. for this simple reason I recommend it and I hope to repeat the experience in another country in the future.
Thank you India and IVHQ for all the unforgettable moments in my mind!

I would improve the activities that are done with the children in the school. I think it needs a bit more planning
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jessica, thanks for your review! It was great to read about your experience and it sounds like you had an awesome time in India! Thanks for recommending IVHQ to future volunteers and we would love to have you join us again! Samantha - IVHQ Program Manager.