India: Volunteer in the Land of Flavour and Color

India: Volunteer in the Land of Flavour and Color

For ME to WE (at the time Free the Children), South Asia is where it all began.

In 1995, WE co-founder Craig Kielburger journeyed to South Asia at the age of 12 where he witness child labour first hand. This is the trip that changed his life and started what we now know as the WE movement.

Our work in India has continued for the last 20 years to include all of our 5 pillars of impact: Education, Water, Health and Opportunity and Food. You will work on one of our many projects in Rajasthan province that bring food and water security to underdeveloped parts of the country, and help children, particular girls to have a brighter future through education and opportunity. You will also get to learn about this beautiful culture, it's rich flavours and warm people.

Walk with us in through our own history as you build a lasting impact on the future.

• Volunteer in rural India – help build a school in rural India, providing education to local children.
  • Play with local children and engage with community members making tai dye & bollywood dancing
  • Visit beautiful Udaipur, the “city of lakes,” where your senses will be overwhelmed.
  • Explore ancient ruins, see historical sites and visit a local ashram.
  • Participate in interactive workshops to explore global issues.
Your youth trip includes round-trip airfare from Toronto, Canada (when arranged by Me to We).

Adjusted program fees are available for trips departing from gateways outside of Toronto.

Also included: accommodations while on the ground, three meals daily, bottled and/or purified water, and entrance fees to activities. In addition, language lessons, volunteer placement activities, and leaderships training (including comprehensive action planning) are provided. You will also have access to a facilitator, who is available 24 hours a day, as well as a 24-hour emergency service.

Your trip does not include travel medical insurance, passport and visa fees, or additional baggage fees.

Beyond Life-Changing

In July 2015, I was fortunate to travel on an Alumni Me to We Trip to the Mewar region of Rajasthan, India with 22 incredible world-changers. I had traveled to Kenya with Me to We the previous summer, and I was eager to further my impact overseas ever since I returned from the beautiful Masai Mara.

India holds a special place in my heart. It is the place of origin of my ancestors, and a large part of my culture today revolves around Indian customs and practices. I had always wanted to travel to India to "return back to my roots". The Alumni Trip was definitely the perfect opportunity to experience the best of both worlds, as one might say, as there was a great balance between cultural immersion and volunteer work.

To say that my trip to India changed my life would be an understatement. All of my expectations were surpassed throughout the trip, from the sight-seeing, to the food, to the group activities, the overall experience was more fulfilling than I could have ever imagined.

One of the highlights of my trip was interacting with the children in the community we were working in. They were all so sweet and welcoming. They were excited to be in school, and they cherished every moment because many of them would have been unable to receive an adequate education without Free The Children's help. The smiles on their faces were very motivating and encouraged everyone in my group to give 110% of effort every time we were at the buildsite.

There were a few stumbles in the road due to the weather, given that it was monsoon season; however, the trip facilitators were always prepared with a Plan B to ensure that we would not be missing out on any major activities listed in the Trip Itinerary. The facilitators also helped our group to become a family in such a short amount of time, which is often difficult to achieve in other types of group settings.

Overall, I would recommend traveling with Me to We to India if you are interested in having the full "Indian Experience", while also making a lasting difference in a developing community. I can guarantee that the memories you will make while in India will be priceless! :)

One improvement would be to allot a longer amount of time to purchase souvenirs in the Udaipur market at the beginning of the trip, rather than on the day of departure as it can be difficult to pack mementos into a hiking backpack minutes before heading to the airport!

Response from ME to WE

Dear Karina,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we truly appreciate and value your comments. We are so happy to hear that you had an amazing experience with us in India and appreciate your suggestion in regards to having more time in the Udaipur market. We have shared this information with the relevant teams and your feedback will allow us to continue to create life changing experiences for youth in the future.

Thank you again for joining us to help make a sustainable difference in the communities we work with in India. If you have any more suggestions or thoughts, please contact us at [email protected].

Me to We Trips

Change the World - Change Your World

I had the incredible opportunity to travel to India on a Me to We Trip in July 2015. It was an experience that truly has changed my life, all while helping to change the lives of the people of Rural India.

Everything about the trip is incredibly well-organized, and we were always in the good care of our incredible facilitators. They were extremely approachable, and helped to build an incredible community within the group. Twenty-four individuals came together to become an unbreakable family over the course of the trip.

However, my family now also extends to all of the incredible community members we interacted with while working in the communities. We had the privledge of volunteering at the primary school in Kalthana, India, where we worked to construct a vegetable garden on the hillside to provide the students with access to fresh veegtables. The students' smiles shone so bright, and the memories never fail to brighten my days.

Our impacts also included planting tree seedlings at a local forestry reserve, and learning about the local agriculture issues, and how Free the Children is working to resolve them.

While in India, we were toally immesered in the vibrant culuture, with a traditional Poja Prayer ceremony, morning yoga, authentic cuisine, and opportunities to explore the Rajasthan Fort and the City Palace in Udaipur. The sights, the sounds, and the smells still remain so vividly in my mind.

The Me to We Trip provided a unique opportunity to see how Free the Children is making a positive differences in the communities in which it works. My perspective on charity changed, because I realized that a 'hand-up' is so much more valuable than a 'hand-out'. Not only that, but I gained a new appreication for everything we so often take for granted.

Often, it takes a life-changing experience like a Me to We Trip to India to gain a new perspective on things. However, while you help change the world, you'll realize that you are changing your own world too.

Me to We Trips are an incredible experience - borderline perfect. My only suggestion for improvement would be to have slightly longer at the market in Udaipur to purchase mementos and gifts for your family and friends!

Response from ME to WE

Hi Jonah,

We are so glad to hear that your experience with us in India has empowered you to continue your journey as a world changer!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review, your comments are very much valued. We truly appreciate your feedback in regards to having more time in the Udaipur market and have shared this information with the relevant teams. Your feedback will allow us to continue to create life changing experiences for youth in the future. If you have any more suggestions or thoughts, please contact us at [email protected].

Me to We Trips

About ME to WE

When you travel with ME to WE, you’re in for an experience you won’t get anywhere else. Our partnership with WE Charity and the local communities the charity works with gives you the unique opportunity to connect with locals, truly immersing yourself...