Pod Volunteer | Animal Rescue and Children's projects in India

Spaces to join in 2018, 2019 and 2020!

The lovely Pod Volunteer team will support you from from helping you to prepare for volunteering and travelling overseas, to providing 24/7 back up while you are away, we are here to support you every step of the way.

Visit our website today and we can help you start your own volunteering journey!

Our volunteer projects are based in the vibrant city of Udaipur in Northern India.

Animal Rescue Project - Volunteers help at a animal rescue sanctuary by feeding, cleaning and caring for the rescued dogs, cows, donkeys and other animals.

Education and Child Care - Volunteers work with children in schools, community initiatives and day care centres by running lessons, games and arts & craft activities at community outreach projects.

Catherine

Animal Aid Rajasthan

I have recently returned from a month working at Animal Aid Unlimited through POD volunteers.

I had a wonderful experience from start to finish. Animal Aid was life changing and I intend to return next year. POD were fantastic and advised on everything every step of the way.

My accommodation and the team in India couldn't be faulted, excellent food, fun and help if needed.

I felt happy, safe and fulfilled as a volunteer at all times and would recommend it to anyone with a real passion to help.

In my opinion I can't see any need for improvement.
Pareena

Community Education project in India! :)

I have always loved the culture at India having visited the country a few times when I was young but never got the chance to visit the beautiful city of Udaipur. I searched through a lot of volunteering websites but this project stood out to me the most. I felt it was great that it gave me a chance to give something back to underprivileged children in the rural areas of Udaipur and also being able to explore the city whilst being there.

The home at Bedla had a welcoming atmosphere when I first arrived. The family at the volunteer house is very supportive and whether you are concerned about something, need help to plan a trip on the weekend (like how I did with my Jaipur trip) and just general queries, they are really happy to help.

I have lots of memories here to name - from the games we played with the children in the orphanage and rag-picking community and them always being intrigued by our life and what it was like back home haha!

Another special memory was the determined nature of the children in the disabled school
to carry out the craft task involving making a paper owl. There were some individuals who had no hands and managed to gluestick the paper on the cardboard. I also really liked when we played games with the boys in the orphanages and their 'secret handshake' they made us to do as well as their cheeky smiles upon our arrival...

Days out with the whole volunteer house was really fun as well. My best memory was when we all went to the Udaipur mall for dinner and I tried something new that was a traditional dish. It was nice to wind down and talk to other volunteers in the house after a busy day!

I realised during the end of my time here that the impact we made on the children was nothing compared to the impact they have on us and how we cannot take our life for granted.

You may experience a culture shock in your first few days here so just prepare to be open-minded to everything. However, breaking out of your comfort zone if it is travelling alone (like me!) or experiencing a different culture allows you to break away from your normal routine and do great things. I'll say during your spare time definitely bring or pick a book or two from the book shelf they have in the house .
Overall I don't think anything needs to be changed ! I'll definitely be coming back in the near future soon. It is also what you make out of it and getting involved with everything and everyone.
Go for it and you won't regret it !
Elaine

Animal rescue - India

My first passion in life is animal welfare. Animal Aid in Rajasthan, India is a great place to care for and learn about Street animals of this area. Many animals that wouldn't normally be given a chance at life due to horrendous circumstances such as paralysis in my own country, are given lots of love and a second chance at life at this amazing shelter. Life and love are intertwined at Animal Aid, and it's a winning formla.
One of my favorite dogs I met there, had lost the use of all four of her legs, but was happy and loving to everyone who came to visit her section, often howling out for attention until she got it, bobbing her head and wagging her tail simultaneously, while getting chest and tummy rubs. And when she was put into one of the doggy wheelchairs, I just thought she would explode with happiness! Just to be upright for a change was such a joy for her!

People need to be mentally prepared for the level of harshness they will witness on a daily basis, in terms of the different levels of injury of the animals. I often found that seeing the animals as they were, was a big shock to many of the volunteers. However, the staff at Animal Aid are doing their best, and often don't understand that some of the cases could be shocking to overseas visitors.

About Pod Volunteer

Pod Volunteer is an award winning non-profit organisation arranging ethical, inspiring and supported volunteering opportunities around the world.

We work with long term projects that we have visited personally and where there is genuine benefit to...