Pod Volunteer | Animal Rescue and Children's projects in India

Spaces to join in 2018, 2019 and 2020!

The lovely Pod Volunteer team will support you from from helping you to prepare for volunteering and travelling overseas, to providing 24/7 back up while you are away, we are here to support you every step of the way.

Visit our website today and we can help you start your own volunteering journey!

Our volunteer projects are based in the vibrant city of Udaipur in Northern India.

Animal Rescue Project - Volunteers help at a animal rescue sanctuary by feeding, cleaning and caring for the rescued dogs, cows, donkeys and other animals.

Education and Child Care - Volunteers work with children in schools, community initiatives and day care centres by running lessons, games and arts & craft activities at community outreach projects.

• Instruction 10
  • Staff 10
  • Organization 10
Jane

Amazing experience in Udaipur

Spent the most amazing 2 weeks in Udaipur, staying with Ravi, Gurav and Neha. Perfect hosts. Made me feel so welcome. I worked alongside other volunteers at the schools and orphanages which was the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Lots of free time to explore Udaipur which is absolutely beautiful. I would completely recommend this experience as a more senior traveler and female I felt safe and secure the whole time. The most amazing experience

No need to improve
Jill

Experience of a lifetime

If you are looking for a trip of a lifetime, look no further than traveling through Pod Volunteer to Udaipur to work with Ravi and Gaurav. You won’t regret it, and you will likely want to return for a longer amount of time. My daughter and I spent two weeks with STEP Volunteer teaching English to school-age children and spending time with orphans from two different orphanages. It was an incredible experience.

Gaurav, Ravi and Ravi’s wife Neha are some of the kindest, dedicated people you will ever meet. They made us feel immediately welcome in their home, and they took great care of us while we were there. More importantly, they are passionate about what they do and they take very good care of the children and families in their community. They work tirelessly side by side with volunteers throughout the year to teach English to children and bring joy to the lives of orphans in nearby orphanages. Some international volunteer programs offer opportunities to teens for a few weeks in the summer, and then abandon the program until the following year. STEP Volunteer is dedicated to helping people in their community all year long.

After breakfast each morning we would travel to a local school and work on English lessons with our assigned class. My daughter and I had five year olds who were new to the idea of school. It was quite a rewarding experience to teach them some letters and try to communicate with some of the Hindi words we learned in our evening lessons! Afternoons were spent with the orphans playing all sorts of games with the boys. The evenings were for planning for our class the next day, taking Hindi lessons, dinner and hanging out with Ravi, Gaurav and fellow volunteers. There is time to explore the city of Udaipur as well as traveling on weekends.

I went with my daughter because, at 17, she was unable to volunteer on her own. It was an amazing opportunity for us to experience this together, and I am so grateful we did. However, I see that Pod Volunteer now offers an opportunity for students under age 18, which is fantastic. If you are a parent considering sending your 16 or 17 year old to volunteer in India with STEP, I assure you, your child will be in very good hands. If my second child asked to go, I would not hesitate sending him to volunteer with Ravi and Gaurav without me.

This was a life-changing experience for my daughter and me. She just began her first year of college. Because of her experience in India, she is planning to major in Global Health and she’s currently taking classes on Hinduism and India’s history and culture. For me, this experience opened my mind to the possibilities of more international volunteer opportunities when I am an empty-nester.

Don’t hesitate for a minute before signing up with Pod Volunteer to volunteer with STEP Volunteer. You’ll travel to a beautiful part of India, work with some of the nicest, passionate people you’d ever want to meet, and support an organization that is doing really good work for children in need in their community.

Kathy

Children's projects

We were well looked after with a lovely group of other volunteers of mixed ages, great for us as slightly older volunteers. Teaching children in their rural community, as well as working with orphan boys and disabled kids was challenging but rewarding and they were delightful. A life-changing experience. Ravi and Gaurav looked after us so well, with trips organised at weekends, and the food was amazing!

Sharon

This experience changed my life

I joined Gaurav, Ravi and Neha in 2016 and stayed for two months. As an older solo traveller I was slightly nervous about landing in Udaipur but I honestly shouldn’t have worried. From the moment we met at the airport until the day we said goodbye I was supported, looked after, and cared for by the selfless staff at STEP.
This opportunity was amazing and the experiences I had will never be forgotten. Good friends were made on that trip, friends I am still in contact with now.
It was a priveledge to become part of the Indian community and learn about their culture and volunteering gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in their lives. Teaching in the school, day care and rag pickers makes you realise how lucky we are to have the things that generally we take for granted. But however sorry you initially feel for the children this quickly melts away as they respond to you with the best smiley faces you will ever encounter!
Along with the included excursions trips to other cities are also offered at a minimal extra cost. These are great to experience life outside Udaipur and further your experience of the Indian culture.
If you have any doubts or nerves about trying volunteering out, don’t! The experience will honestly change your life forever.

No need to improve
julie

STEP.Udaipur.India

I have been to this Volunteer project twice now....my plan is to return each year
The work done by this project is outstanding....that is down to the vision and effort made by the organisations founders Ravi & Gaurav. The improvements made to the lives of the poorest of children where they live is amazing. The organisation works with Orphans,Disabled children,The 'rag picking' community and the local children, ensuring, through the work of the Volunteers , that education and learning is available to these children who would otherwise have none.
As a Volunteer this is deeply satisfying work....the children and the community welcome you. There is no greater pleasure than working with these enthusiastic children....it is the most rewarding venture i have ever undertaken in my 59 years.
Ravi & Gaurav support and guide us through the process.
They along with Neha(Ravis wife) care for us excellently back at the Volunteer house
You are given the opportunity to enjoy the local culture and the beautiful city of Udaipur.....to travel further afield with Ravi & Gauravs support....you will make friends from all over the world and tgere is akways fun back at the Volunteer house
For any one who wants an adventure....to help support children who clearly benefit and improve their life chances because of your effort....to meet fantastic people and enrichen your own experience then go to Udaipur...to this project and enjoy every moment and experience.
It will stay with you for always.

Elizabeth

Dedicated staff runs excellent program outside beautiful Udaipur

My time spent teaching in India exceeded my expectations on so many levels. The housing, the support we received, the enthusiam of the kids with whom we worked, the professionalism and guidance of my fellow volunteers, the directors dedication to the community and the extra activities were all excellent. All of that with the stunning city of Udaipur as a backdrop. It made for a worthwhile and wonderful experience.

So much credit needs to be given to program directors Ravi and Gaurav (along with Ravi's wife Neeha) for their dedication to improving the lives of the less fortunate in their area. This dedication is apparent in the support, education and guidance they give volunteers.

This well equipped program is lucky to have a group of dedicated volunteers. They are of all ages and all walks of life. It creates a nice balance of strengths and weaknesses. And other volunteers are also around to answer questions and provide guidance.

The city of Udaipur, a few kilometres from our "home", is absolutely stunning.

Emily

Animal Rescue Udaipur

Volunteering at the animal rescue project was an incredibly rewarding experience that left me with long-lasting memories and a new perspective on compassion and empathy for other living beings. It is an inspiring place to be, and the efforts of the owners to provide a sanctuary for the city's injured animals is humbling.

The host family were wonderfully accommodating and not once did I ever feel homesick. They were eager to help me make the most of my short two weeks in India and their hospitality was above and beyond what I could have expected.

If you are an animal lover then don't think twice about taking on this program! You will be greatly rewarded with memories and impressions that stay with you long after your trip ends.

no need for improvement :)
Angela

childcare udaipur

I spent a couple of weeks last September on the childcare programme in Udaipur Rajasthan India.
I cant recommend it highly enough and if you are thinking you would like to see some of India and immerse yourself in the culture, aswell as volunteering and working with children , this is the project for you . You would definetly gain more than you give.
The programme is diverse as you are involved with many differing children with many differing needs .
The charity workers out there Ravi and Gaurav are so enthusiatic about the empowerment and education of the local children , and there compassion and zest are infectious.
I am planning my next trip to return to Udaipur in the spring and cant wait to see the children , the family that run the charity and meet some more volunteers.
you are made to feel so welcome and the atmosphere is happy and homely . The memories you take from this trip will last a lifetime.

Em

Community Volunteering

I had such an amazing time. Everyone was so helpful and friendly- made me feel very at home.

Alongside volunterring we visited different sites of India, saw a bollywood film at the cinema and took an overnight train to see the Taj Mahal. It was a fantastic experince and one I would thoroughly recommend!

It was lovely to learn how to cook Indian dishes and traditional Henna, and we were able to play volleyball and cricket with the children in the area too.

Only love for this place💖
Alaisha

Children’s Project in India

My time in India was indescribable, in only positive ways. As an individual who has not traveled as much or as far, this opportunity changed my life in many ways. From the cultural immersion, beautiful sights, and extremely amiable people, to teaching such grateful, eager, and absolutely adorable children, I could never be more thankful for this experience in every way. Everyday you arrive and the children are thrilled to see you and touch your heart. I went to India with no expectations, no certainity, and feeling nervous for what I would encounter, but left a new person. Somehow in such a short time, I fell in love with India, the children, and the culture. And I hope to return in the future, for this experience has taught me so much about the world, people, culture, and myself. If I could give one tip to people headed with any POD program it would be to let yourself whole heartedly participate, grow, experience, and be apart of wherever you go in the world. Let yourself experience the emic side of traveling and really divulge into what your doing with no hesitation. For it will be the most profound experience of your lifetime, as it has been for me. I cannot fathom enough my love, appreciation, and thankfulness for POD, the local accommodations and people, the kids, and India itself.

Catherine

Animal Aid Rajasthan

I have recently returned from a month working at Animal Aid Unlimited through POD volunteers.

I had a wonderful experience from start to finish. Animal Aid was life changing and I intend to return next year. POD were fantastic and advised on everything every step of the way.

My accommodation and the team in India couldn't be faulted, excellent food, fun and help if needed.

I felt happy, safe and fulfilled as a volunteer at all times and would recommend it to anyone with a real passion to help.

In my opinion I can't see any need for improvement.
Pareena

Community Education project in India! :)

I have always loved the culture at India having visited the country a few times when I was young but never got the chance to visit the beautiful city of Udaipur. I searched through a lot of volunteering websites but this project stood out to me the most. I felt it was great that it gave me a chance to give something back to underprivileged children in the rural areas of Udaipur and also being able to explore the city whilst being there.

The home at Bedla had a welcoming atmosphere when I first arrived. The family at the volunteer house is very supportive and whether you are concerned about something, need help to plan a trip on the weekend (like how I did with my Jaipur trip) and just general queries, they are really happy to help.

I have lots of memories here to name - from the games we played with the children in the orphanage and rag-picking community and them always being intrigued by our life and what it was like back home haha!

Another special memory was the determined nature of the children in the disabled school
to carry out the craft task involving making a paper owl. There were some individuals who had no hands and managed to gluestick the paper on the cardboard. I also really liked when we played games with the boys in the orphanages and their 'secret handshake' they made us to do as well as their cheeky smiles upon our arrival...

Days out with the whole volunteer house was really fun as well. My best memory was when we all went to the Udaipur mall for dinner and I tried something new that was a traditional dish. It was nice to wind down and talk to other volunteers in the house after a busy day!

I realised during the end of my time here that the impact we made on the children was nothing compared to the impact they have on us and how we cannot take our life for granted.

You may experience a culture shock in your first few days here so just prepare to be open-minded to everything. However, breaking out of your comfort zone if it is travelling alone (like me!) or experiencing a different culture allows you to break away from your normal routine and do great things. I'll say during your spare time definitely bring or pick a book or two from the book shelf they have in the house .
Overall I don't think anything needs to be changed ! I'll definitely be coming back in the near future soon. It is also what you make out of it and getting involved with everything and everyone.
Go for it and you won't regret it !
Elaine

Animal rescue - India

My first passion in life is animal welfare. Animal Aid in Rajasthan, India is a great place to care for and learn about Street animals of this area. Many animals that wouldn't normally be given a chance at life due to horrendous circumstances such as paralysis in my own country, are given lots of love and a second chance at life at this amazing shelter. Life and love are intertwined at Animal Aid, and it's a winning formla.
One of my favorite dogs I met there, had lost the use of all four of her legs, but was happy and loving to everyone who came to visit her section, often howling out for attention until she got it, bobbing her head and wagging her tail simultaneously, while getting chest and tummy rubs. And when she was put into one of the doggy wheelchairs, I just thought she would explode with happiness! Just to be upright for a change was such a joy for her!

People need to be mentally prepared for the level of harshness they will witness on a daily basis, in terms of the different levels of injury of the animals. I often found that seeing the animals as they were, was a big shock to many of the volunteers. However, the staff at Animal Aid are doing their best, and often don't understand that some of the cases could be shocking to overseas visitors.

About Pod Volunteer

Pod Volunteer is an award winning non-profit organisation arranging ethical, inspiring and supported volunteering opportunities around the world.

We work with long term projects that we have visited personally and where there is genuine benefit to...