Women Empowerment Program | Volunteer India

Our Women Empowerment Volunteer Program in India helps you to support women in their pursuit of healthy and sustainable livelihoods. Women’s groups provide a forum for issues such as family health, women’s rights, and access to resources, income generation, and other challenges women face in their daily lives. Volunteers have the opportunity to exchange ideas, collaborate in ongoing projects. You can also provide support in many other ways, depending on your skills and interests and the needs of the local community.

Recently we have brought changes to our Women Empowerment Project. We have mixed the women empowerment program with the work with children of rural areas in Jaipur, India. So the volunteers have the opportunity to work with both women and children in 1 project.

Sara

Very nice

Came here as a solo traveler for 10 days and loved my experience. The local people are nice and the staff is always there if you need any help. Would recommend 100%! Great teaching experience for children and for older woman and great food/beverages. Even if you don’t speak the language, the staff will make sure the communication between you and the students is okay. Three hours per day, you go to the center, which is located closely to the accommodation, and teach the course of your choice. Very nice experience :)

Laura

Amazing experience

A fantastic experience: I lived 3 weeks with an Indian family sharing food and habits of the day; in the afternoon I went to school where I had to teach English to the women of the project, but it was much more ... An exchange of teachings, emotions, smiles and laughter who have made me the student and their teachers, but of life !!!
I could do trip to Agra, Delhi, Faithpursikri, Abhaneri, Sikandra, Udaipur e Pushkar, with fantastic guides, for a really Indian experience.
I loved living with all the person I meet, but mostly with the women of the program, the teachers, the family, the coordinators and the person in charge of the association. I will definitely come back, next year, to the women, the teacher and the family that hosted me, because they all became my second family.
I miss already you 😍
Namasté

The hours at school between lesson of English, massage, dance and a lot of laughters.
my pass port pic
Ashley

Loved It!!

The arrival pick up service was wonderful; one of the program coordinator was waiting right at the exit gate of Jaipur Airport with a huge “ Volunteering With India “ sign and a smile . Accomodation has been lovely. The host family is so sweet and welcoming. Truly felt a part of the family. They were always there to help with anything. Very Kind + warm family. The transportation service was very reliable and always on time. Shekhar and Totoram the taxi men have a smile always and so kind. I love all the staff members. They instantly made me feel comfortable and go above and beyond to help. I was a bit nervous to teach but Rohit ( program coordinator ) was great in translating English to Hindi; Sukret was always a message away if I had any questions ! I decided to volunteer with VWI because I have founded this program in good prices, locations and values. Wanted to go with a local operated organization also. I would rate this program 10 out of 10. Can’t recommend this program enough. This experience will impact my life in the best way for many years to come. I wanted to give back to the women + children but I feel I have received so much from this program. Everyday I was treated with respect, kindness, compassion and generosity. Everyone I had the pleasure of working will stay in my heart forever. I am going to miss seeing their smiley faces everyday, but I will return next year and every year 100%.. Jaipur was the best city to explore with so much culture and various activities. It’s been an experience of a lifetime. Thank you VWI !!

Don't have any. I enjoyed the program a lot and will be coming back next year.
Olga

Good Choice

I found the Women’s Empowerment Jaipur Program run by Volunteering With India through online – I knew it was perfect for me right away. It twigged a nerve within me, and it was exactly what I have been looking for. I feel very strongly that all women – no matter where they are from, deserve respect, dignity and also to have confidence in whatever they are doing. I have a background in Psychology, so I hope to gain further insight as to how women work and manage themselves in turbulent times. I would also like to know how we can help them gain a sense of control of the things that they can control. I’m sure there is a common theme of how women cope with challenges across the globe – and I am excited to learn more about what it is.
My arrival to the Jaipur, airport was seamless and easy. As I walked out of the airport amongst the crowds of people, I saw Ravinder with a sign board of Volunteering With India. During my flight I had a lot of random thoughts and ‘what ifs’ if my driver wasn’t there or there was a miscommunication of when I landed. So it was comforting to know that the program is very well organized! I spoke to Sukret as we were driving to the accommodation. He was checking to see how my flight was and if I needed anything – very thoughtful and nice of him seeing as it was 1230am!!
When we arrived to the accommodation I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms and house in general is so lovely and clean. The family greet me in Namaste and made a very good welcome.
The next day I met the other volunteers who were here from last 8 weeks. There were mix of volunteer as some are Doing with Elephant Project and some are doing childcare program. We were encouraged by Sukret (who has been so lovely and helpful) to get to know each other and settle in. We were provided with our meals by host mother. She is the most amazing chef! She has cooked us some beautiful traditional Indian meals – full of flavor and a real kick of spiciness.
We had a tour of the famous tourist spots of Jaipur on a Tuk-Tuk and enjoyed observing the organized chaos of it all! We also went to Monkey Palace where hundreds of monkey.
On the Monday we had the pleasure in meeting Govind – who is the other facilitator of the Women program. It was lovely to have an introduction to the women we will be working with that afternoon. I could see in their faces the true beauty of them all. I was excited for them to share their stories about who they are and what their ambitions are for the future. Overall – the general vibe was very positive which was shown through their kindness and interest in us and what we will be helping them to do.
The next day we got into the swing of things and started facilitating the program for the women. I ran a session discussing self-confidence and self-compassion. It was really interesting to see how all the women reacted. Some were very shy, and almost embarrassed when they were prompted to think about the core strengths of their personality. I really loved facilitating the discussion and I would be more than happy to know that at least one person learned something new that they could practice at home. My fellow ‘volunteer-er’ ran a workshop on English grammar. This is where their interest is also. They said that in order for them to be confident about themselves and also about getting a job – they need to improve their English. We all agreed to have an English grammar section, but also 30-45 mins of just practicing having conversations in English. Overall, the first session was a huge success with many giggles and smiles. The women were so kind and lovely.
So far so good with Volunteering With India! The main thing I enjoy is not having an absolutely non-negotiable strict schedule. Sukret and Govind are very flexible. Nothing is ever a problem and they give us plenty of time to take things in and do whatever we please (within reason of course!). I will be returning soon to India in near future that's sure.

Steven

An amazing experience

I was looking for a program that would enable me to help out either children or women who are disadvantaged and don’t have opportunities to break free from the poverty cycle.
This program was amazing for helping me do that.
I went specifically to help with the women’s empowerment program and ended up also helping in a day care center and also a boys shelter.
My role was to teach English though I think they got as much out of just having someone come and spend time with them.
VWI helped massively with all the logistics from airport pickup, finding accommodation, transport to and from the volunteer location and all sorts of other areas.
On top of that Govind and Sukret took us out at night and made us feel very much a part of the local culture.
VWI have great connections with numerous local charities and
I would highly recommend using them to make your volunteering in India an unforgettable experience.

Cecilia

Great experience

I had a great time doing this program, teaching English in Jaipur. It was a great way for me to gain meaningful experiences for the future, an amazing opportunity to meet new people and to see the world from a new perspective. My recommendations for future participants would be to prepare well, and to have as much fun as possible during your stay. The time goes faster than you would imagine. Also, use the weekends to see the many different places around Jaipur and India, arranged by the program.

Niclas

An experience of a lifetime

I did this program for four weeks. It was certainly an experience that I will not forget, and something that I would recommend to anyone.
The people who took our classes were very eager to learn and very nice people overall, they even wished my mother a happy birthday!
My tip for any future participant is to come well prepared and to have an open mind. Make use of the time that you have here

vwi
MELISSA

Amazing Experience and People

I spent a week volunteering for the Woman Empowerment program and taught English to a group of nearly fifty wonderful women. Both groups were on slightly different English levels. I had to improvise the first day with a lesson, then the next couple of days I'd have something prepare before the class. The women loved group exercises that allowed them to practice with each other and also everyone's pronunciation a loud and in front of the group. They were shy at the beginning, but always warm, welcoming, focused, ready to learn. They always had a smile on their faces. I was impressed on how driven and smart the group was and how grateful they were.
I used to teach from 12-4:30 and got back home around 5pm, so there's time to sightseeing locally in between.

Sukret was very helpful from the beginning, promptly responded to emails and any questions I had. He welcomed me at the host family house; where a lovely family ensure we felt comfortable and provided homemade meals everyday. Tip: Bring your own mosquito net if you don't want to get bitten. I installed mine using a command strip and I only got bitten once because that night I did not use it. The house has wifi, fan and a dessert cooler. You get your own room with bathroom.

The organization's driver was very kind and professional - it was fun commuting to work on a tuk tuk everyday. Due that I was traveling solo, I hired on my own a private driver to take me sightseeing in Jaipur the day before I started volunteering, went to the Taj Mahal and back to New Delhi to fly out to Nepal. Unfortunately, I did not have any additional time to spend on trips with other volunteers, but it was nice getting to know another volunteer at the host family house. If you want to see some of the places I had a chance to check out in Jaipur you can see them on Instagram @m.elissaponce

The program can be improved by providing more guidance about what the assignment will be, so volunteers can prepare in advance, bring any materials (if needed), know what topics the group has already covered with other volunteers.
Read my full story