• Jamaica

Small Group (1-15)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $395 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, breakfast, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Some Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Jul 28, 2022
Sep 20, 2022
28 travelers are looking at this program

Immerse yourself in the Caribbean culture and join IVHQ as a volunteer in Jamaica! The IVHQ Jamaica program is located the parish of St Mary, nearby the popular port town of Ocho Rios. You can choose to contribute on one of 11 volunteer projects including Teaching, Kindergarten, Animal and Veterinary Care, Sports Development and Business and Community Development.

Volunteers are accommodated alongside other international volunteers in either a homestay with a local family, or a dormitory-style volunteer house and are provided with a continental-style breakfast every morning. The IVHQ Jamaica program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, breakfast and 24/7 in-country support.

Program Highlights

• Programs are available year-round in Jamaica at an affordable price of US$395 for 1 week
  • The IVHQ Jamaica program begins on the first and third Monday of every month. You can choose to volunteer for durations ranging from 1 week to 4 weeks.
  • The Jamaica program is based in the parish of St Mary in the northeast of Jamaica.
  • Jamaica program fees include 24/7 in-country support, airport pick-up, program orientation, volunteer placement, accommodation, breakfast.
  • Unique add-ons available, including Blue Hole, cave, lagoon and city tours, as well as cooking and dance classes

Popular Programs

Animal Care Volunteer Program in Jamaica - St Mary

Volunteer your time with a dog shelter in Jamaica and help with the care and rehoming of stray dogs. On this project you will gain experience looking after animals while providing the dogs with human companionship, medical treatment and everyday care.

Sustainable Agriculture & Community Development Volunteer Program in Jamaica

Support local Jamaican youth and promote sustainable farming practices by volunteering in Jamaica! This project encourages youth to get involved in agriculture and develop an interest in farming, beekeeping, soap making, paper making and other skills which may help generate future income opportunities.

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Cassie

IVHQ Child Education Program

I went to Jamaica with IVHQ’s Child Education program that gave me the opportunity to teach K1-K2 children at local school in Oracabessa. This trip was definitely life changing and made me want to do something like this again when given the opportunity. It was a great balance of adventure and exploration but also a chance to give back to the country and help out where it was needed. IVHQ has a great team of people who are passionate and caring to give people any age this awesome experience. Great

Pros
  • Fun activities
  • Good food
  • Comforting staff
Cons
  • A little pricey depending on where you go
  • Hot temperatures (again depends on where you go, Jamaica is a hot tropical country)
MARIANA

Sustainable Agriculture and Community Development

It was my first volunteer trip, so I decided to only go for one week, but I wish I could have stayed longer!
Merran from IVHQ helped answer any questions before the trip.
The IVHQ profile also has helpful tools that prepared me for the trip.
The description of the accommodation was accurate, so I was prepared to be in a volunteer house with other people. I was able to meet people from all over the world in different projects.
I went in August, since it is the peak of summer in Jamaica it was very hot.
Once I arrived, the V2 team in Jamaica was very welcoming, and friendly and helped me with any questions I had.
They also helped planned out any excursions, I was able to go to Blue Hole and it was great! V2 team is also very helpful with questions about the culture and the best transportation options to get around.

I was not sure what to expect from my project before arriving, but I enjoyed it! I was able to help around the farm with different tasks, and I also bonded with the locals. I came back home feeling refreshed and happy that I was able to bond with locals and experience a different culture and a different pace of life. The farm is also in a very scenic place and I enjoyed being there. The owner of the farm was very friendly and answered any questions we had about the tasks she gave us. There is also the option to purchase lunch at the farm, which I did because I got to experience local, fresh, and delicious meals, with some ingredients from her farm or local vendors.

I chose the dinner plan for the week, and all the meals were delicious and had variety.

In my free time, I was able to check out the nearby beaches or go to town. It is easy to navigate the town with the route taxis, once you get used to them.

I am glad I volunteered in Jamaica, and I am looking forward to volunteering more in the future.

Pros
  • Making a positive impact within the local community
  • Experiencing different culture
  • Jamaica is beautiful
Cons
  • It was hot!
  • Expensive
  • My project was far from volunteer house
Luca

Kindergarten Project with IVHQ in Jamaica

I have just completed my two weeks of doing volunteering in Jamaica. This was my second time volunteering and I loved it just as much as my first time.
I have spent two weeks helping out at a local kindergarten and I don’t think I could have spent my time in Jamaica any better. The IVHQ Team is super welcoming and friendly and is really doing their best for the volunteers to feel like home. I was also super happy with my project as I felt like I really was part of a family there. I loved getting to know the culture in such a unique way whilst giving back to the community. I spent every morning at my project and then came back in the evening for a game of Volleyball that I was invited to. On Sunday I was invited to church which was also such a unique experience.
I am so grateful for the time I have had and the people I met. The children have such a positive energy and they made me look forward to every day at my project. Seeing their happy faces at the Gate upon my arrival is something I will definitely forever keep in my memories and that I will really miss.
Spending time volunteering in a country really is extremely different to just traveling to those places. I would definitely recommend everyone to try it.

Pros
  • The helpful team
  • The way of getting to know a culture
  • The experiences you will make
Cons
  • None
Judy

Jamaica Special Needs Programme

I had an amazing experience during my volunteering in Jamaica , the local team prepared us well for the experience and I was well supported through out.
It was great seeing the difference between the Jamaican school and the schools in the UK and i was able to learn a lot from the experience. The way the programme worked also allowed us time to visit the local beauty spots and learn about Jamaican Culture..
The only down side was the mosquitos and if i go again i would use better repellent. I would highly recommend this programme to anyone who wants to experience different cultures.

Pros
  • Learning about the culture
  • Seeing the beauty spots
  • Learning about different education systems
Cons
  • Mosquitos!!!
  • was only for a week
Havishya

Teaching and School Support in Jamaica - Outstanding experience!

I was accepted to volunteer in Jamaica with International Volunteer HQ (June 2022). The application process was very clear and all the guidance materials provided were really helpful and informative. I was really impressed with the level of support from both Merran and the local team in Jamaica.

As I reflect on an amazing two week experience in St Mary Parish, I’m not even sure where to begin. I had the opportunity to cherish some beautiful moments at breathtaking sceneries with the most incredible individuals and share some unforgettable memories.

I had the privilege of teaching the wonderful, lively and content children of Faith Builders. Not only did these children teach me so much in such a short time but, have inspired me to create changes in my own behaviors and view life from a different perspective. They have taught me the importance of appreciation for everything in life and to find happiness in the little things.

The teachers inspired a passion for learning in the children all the while not always having the ample resources or access to technology most other schools take for granted. A big thank you to all the staff members at Faith Builders ECC for involving me in the learning and cultural activities.

The teaching and school support experience truly was emotionally rewarding, it has been a humbling experience and certainly the right decision! Thank you Jamaica! One love!

I was able to decide on the tours and activities that were of interest to me when I arrived and met the other volunteers. Some of these tours and activities include Blue Hole, the Luminous Lagoon and Green Grotto Caves and Jamaican cooking classes. All these activities took place in the first week of the program and were organized well in advance with updates sent on the Jamaica volunteer group chat so that we were able to plan meet ups with the other volunteers after work.

I especially enjoyed immersing myself in the Jamaican culture by supporting the local community at the street markets, restaurants and providing resources for the children to use in the schools. For example, purchasing Jamaican attire from the local markets and including this into my daily attire and buying fresh fruits from the side roads to eat at lunchtime. Some of the resources that I took along on the trip were coloring materials, coloring books, stickers, sweets and other toys. The class were able to use these during coloring tasks and enjoy the sweets on their last day which was also, the key stage 3 class's graduation day onto Primary School.

I was part of the meal plan during the weekdays, for both weeks, which includes breakfast and dinner and this was more than enough for me. The cook catered for vegetarian and gluten-free meals. We were provided with hot, traditional meals along with refreshing juices at 5pm Monday to Friday. A few of the dishes included rice and beans, steamed vegetables, jerk chicken, and salad. The meal portions were perfect and simply delicious! I would definitely recommend signing up for the meal plan, you won't regret it!

The hosts were simply brilliant! They all encouraged responsible travel, ensured that we were well looked-after during our programs and that we were enjoying the volunteering experience as a whole. To our hosts, Jade and Chayna, thank you! 🖤

Pros
  • Experience working with children in a different environment.
  • Immersing in the Jamaican culture and supporting the local community.
  • A range of activities included on and outside of the program.
Cons
  • None.
  • None.
  • None.
Alison

IVHQ Jamaica Veterinary Care

My vet care volunteer experience with IVHQ Jamaica was simply one of the best times in my life. The communication up front was great with Merran at IVHQ and on the ground with Jade and her team at V2 Volunteers in Jamaica. The volunteer house and property was well equipped, comfortable and we were all very well cared for. I have made some great friends there from all around the world and I will be visiting one later this year! My time at the vet clinic with Dr. Cole and her team was also outstanding, I learned so much. It was truly an unforgettable, enriching, life changing experience. I cannot say enough good things about the program and the experience. I will definitely be doing future trips with IVHQ.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
There was a super cool Jamaican fruit called Ackee which is very strange looking and has a large black pit! It looks like eggs when cooked, but tasted delicious.
Tia

Jamaica Marine Conservation

This was my second time volunteering with IVHQ on a marine conservation program. I was in the first cohort of volunteers to come to Jamaica after Covid so our group was small and the programs were just getting back on their feet. Nonetheless, it was a great experience - I got to dive almost every day and do meaningful work on the coral reef like building coral nurseries and removing invasive species. I also got to contribute to the Whiteriver fish sanctuary by writing the August newsletter and getting involved with community outreach. I really enjoyed the company of the locals I got to engage with and learn from at work, everyone was extremely kind and fun to be around. Jamaica is a breathtakingly beautiful and diverse island, so I would suggest making the most out of your time there by exploring it as much as possible on the weekends or whenever you have some free time. The highlight for me was visiting Negril, a town on the west point of the island - great for diving (contact Scuba Dive Jamaica, Michael is a great diving instructor), food and sunsets. As for the volunteer accommodation, you stay in a proper house with a kitchen, 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms with bunk beds, and a common area as well as a very large garden. There is no AC so it can get pretty hot and humid especially at night, but that's all part of the experience! I would recommend this program to anyone seeking to get out of their comfort zone, get adventurous and do something meaningful for the planet and the people with their time.

Sydney

A Life Changing Experience

Ever since I was really little, it has always been my dream to travel, and with IVHQ I was given the perfect opportunity. My parents got married in Jamaica, which is one of the main reasons why I chose to serve in this location, and I am so glad that I did. The volunteer placement is located in a beautiful, very safe area of the island and was walking distance from James Bond Beach which all us volunteers loved. I volunteered in the local kindergarten, and honestly, working with the kids there truly changed my life. Both them, and the head teacher were so welcoming to me and the other volunteers, and I genuinely looked forward to going to work each day. Overall, IVHQ is an incredible and affordable option for people like me who love adventure and have a calling to travel. Can't wait to go on more IVHQ trips!

What was your funniest moment?
One of the volunteers brought a tub of bubbles to take to the school, and it was so funny seeing the kids' reactions when they saw them. They were chasing them, trying to pop each one. They couldn't get enough of it! :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sydney, Thanks for your review of the Jamaica program. The contribution you made to the Kindergarten program is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with us at IVHQ again soon. ^ Grace - IVHQ Jamaica Program Manager