GVI: Sports Volunteering

GVI: Sports Volunteering

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

Volunteer on one of our many sports coaching opportunities and get active, see a new part of the world, and share your love of sport with disadvantaged children in low-income communities. Volunteer with GVI in a variety of sports programs in various locations:

• South Africa: Visit amazing Cape Town in South Africa when you volunteer alongside an international team teaching underprivileged children from local townships to surf and care for their coastal environment.
  • Costa Rica: You will contribute to local education efforts, providing valuable development opportunities, extracurricular activities like sport, and assistance to under-resourced schools.
  • India: Help teach children a range of different sports including football, netball, cricket, tennis and athletics. Work with a local school to boost the children's development and self-confidence, while at the same time helping to develop their English speaking skills.
Africa » South Africa
Project Types

Billie-Jo
United Kingdom
University of Worcester

The best two weeks

I went to South Africa for two weeks with GVI, the programme was amazing! I loved working with the children to teach them different sports and being able to take them surfing was a bonus. Although it was winter so the water was FREEZING! I genuinely had the best time and found the coordinators at GVI so supportive! I met amazing people who I still keep in touch with months after being back, I love hearing about how the children in the school are doing by face timing the coordinators that are still out there! GVI has been such a great organisation to volunteer with i'm already planning my next adventure! If you're thinking about travelling or volunteering go for it, GVI will support you :)

The engagement level of the teachers wasn't always high in the school, some teachers fully engaged and others chose to opt out. It would be great to get the teachers valuing sports as well!

Amelia
Sydney, Australia
University of Canberra

GVI Experience - Quepos

I was after a new adventure for 2013 and so I decided to give Volunteering a go - I researched several programs online and GVI continued to tick all the boxes, plus they were also very informative and responded quickly to my questions or concerns.

Arriving in Costa Rica we were met at the airport by Group Leaders and were taken care of right from the get go, a week of culture and logistic training prepared us for what was ahead. The realization was completely different, however I was here for a challenge.

A typical day . . .

Up early you are either assisting with breakfast, or still asleep whilst cleaning up after breakfast. The house, chores and meals are shared by everyone. And everyone has to give it a go, no matter how terrible a cook you are!

Then it's off to the bus, a short ride and then onto the Boat (dingy) to El Cocal. An illegal immigrant town literally resting on a sand bar. As you would imagine being near the water it's a fishing town. One of our tasks within Cocal is to try and get children, especially the boys to stay in school so that they may be educated enough to work in a profession, like the service industry.

After being greeted by several of the children at the dock, and wondering why most of them are not in school today . . . We arrive at the Child Care centre, a place for kids to come hang out, sports, do art work, get help with any homework. It's also a place where we are trying to teach adult english to those that are willing.

The days are a mix of playing, educating, conflict resolution and many funny moments, especially when you are standing in a class room try to teach maths in a room full of children whom only speak Spanish. . .

We finish school at about 1.30pm and then the rest of the day is yours!

Highlights - For me it was the end of year cultural celebrations, there are so many to be involved in, Guanacasta Day, Costa Rica's Independance Day, etc, etc and I loved helping the kids decorate, dress up and be involved these celebrations!

Definitely a wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone!

I would've like a bit more information on the Country and village that we were operating in, just about the geography, the people, etc.

Zoey
Rocklin, California
William Jessup University

South Africa Sports Program

Being in the South Africa Sports Program was an amazing experience. I fell in love with the people, the staff, the project, and the kids. Weekend outings were so much fun but I got the most enjoyment out of working with the kids. I had three little buddies that I made and got to work with the during the week. It was a blast to see the kids grow and get ready for the track & field tournament that we prepared them for. Staff was awesome. Our safety always came first but they wanted us to have fun and experience the lifestyle and cultural differences that South Africa had to offer as well. I was so lucky to with a wonderful group of volunteer and more coordinator was such a fun-loving, personal, and outgoing person. I made great friends, learned many lessons, enjoyed my travels, and made memories that I will never forget.

Matt
Leeds, England

GVI provided me with the opportunity to experience something amazing!

Teaching sports & surfing to children in a Township Primary School in South Africa was incredible! I spent 10 weeks supporting this project, and from start to finish had nothing but amazing and rewarding experiences!

Each class greets you with cheers and smiles, as they become so enthusiastic and excited at the prospect of learning sports and having fun! The kids here are the most beautifully natured kids you could ever wish to meet, and supporting them is an easy task!

Loved it, cant wait to go back!

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered