This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Projects Abroad.
Projects Abroad Alumni Network

Projects Abroad Alumni Network

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Projects Abroad.

This listing is for all alumni of Projects Abroad. If you can't find the program you participated in, you can leave a review here.

The Projects Abroad Alumni Network serves to keep volunteers in touch after they return home. We hope that all alumni stay informed on our projects, inspire others to volunteer, share their stories from being abroad, and even volunteer once you get back home.

With 50,000+ former volunteers, there is an extensive network of people you can relate to and share stories with. We invite you to become part of our alumni community.

Lauren
Grand Rapids, MI
Calvin College

Veterinary Volunteer

Although there were many wonderful experiences I had while in India, I would like to highlight the time I spent with the veterinarian I volunteered with while I was there. this particular veterinarian was a livestock specialist, and prior to my visit to India, I had no experience at all in the world of livestock. Despite my lack of experience with his area of expertise, he was extremely patient with me and allowed me observe and then practice the skills he showed me. Things I was taught while there included different kinds of injections and where to give them on the cows, how to do a pregnancy exam, in vitro fertilization, etc. Later I found out how unique this was since most volunteer experiences abroad in the medical and veterinary realms consist of mostly observing rather than practicing the skills. All the credit goes to Projects Abroad for my placement with a vet who wanted me to learn as much as I could while I was there. I certainly learned much more about livestock than I ever thought possible in only a month. The veterinarian I worked with also allowed me to accompany him on farm visits with him when he had sick animals to attend to, an invitation he did not have to extend but was gracious enough to do. I had a wonderful time volunteering with Projects Abroad in India and will most certainly go through this organization again when I volunteer abroad in the future. They have my highest recommendation!

Elizabeth
Murfreesboro, TN

Amazing time in India!

Projects Abroad made it very easy to arrange my trip to India. A staff member was always quick to respond to any questions I had before leaving, and they were just as responsive throughout my stay. I was extremely happy with the accommodations I had, although they were not the same family that was initially listed in my profile. Once I got settled into my veterinary medicine placement, I was extremely happy! I was placed with a doctor who made a sincere effort to teach me something new and different every day, and challenged me to constantly improve myself. I felt that I was making a big contribution as a volunteer while also learning, which was very important to me. Projects Abroad also provided several occasions to do some volunteer work outside of my placement, which I really enjoyed. I spent one day with about a dozen other volunteers cleaning up and painting an orphanage. We also got to interact with the children, which we all loved. Projects Abroad had weekly social gathering organized for all volunteers, which provided opportunities for us to meet each other and to plan other get-togethers on our own. Although I spent much of the week at my placement, I still had evenings and weekends to tour Jaipur and even take a few day trips to nearby cities, such as Agra. My host family always made sure we knew the best way to travel, and told us the expected cost for anything we planned to do. I liked that Projects Abroad arranged traveling to and from the airport, and had a long orientation day for each volunteer to help them adjust. Overall, I was very happy with my experience with Projects Abroad and would certainly travel with them in the future!

I could have been more impressed with the communication when being picked up from the airport. When I arrived, there was no one there to pick me up like I was told. After about 30 minutes of looking, I tried to call every number that was listed on the emergency contacts of my information, and no one answered because it was late at night. No one showed up until I had been waiting outside the airport almost two hours.

Andrea
Milwaukee, WI
Hamline University

Physical therapy volunteering

Working with kids with disabilities in India was an incredible experience. My host family was great and the food was amazing. The Projects Abroad staff did a great job making me feel at home as well. I had an incredible experience and I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to experience a different culture, food, and people.

At my placement at Shine School, I was able to work with physical therapists and kids with severe disabilities who needed physical therapy in order to just even walk. It was great to help them everyday, and their parents were so thankful for all of the volunteers. I met so many different people from all over the world- literally. It was awesome to travel with them on the weekends to places in southern India.

The food was incredible. One of my favorite parts was getting fresh street food at stands because it was authentic an they made it right in front of you. I loved getting fresh fruit as well- very different than my home.

The Projects Abroad staff was always willing to help in whatever the volunteers needed. It was great of them because they definitely did a good job of making me feel comfortable and at home. I also felt the same way about my host family. My host mother was an unbelievable cook and always made sure I had enough to eat and clean water. I miss them a lot!

Overall, Projects Abroad was an awesome organization to travel through, no matter where in the world you want to travel to and help!

The staff could help us find places to travel on weekends or inform us about that before we come so we could research that ahead of time.

Blake
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
American University

Projects Abroad Moldova- Volunteer

Projects Abroad Moldova is a great volunteering opportunity for anyone wanting to help out around the world. Not only is it one of the largest international volunteer programs available, their staff knows what they are doing and will go beyond any expectation that you have going into one of their placements. They place you with credited, safe and very hospitable host families and make sure that you have all the essentials for your comfort during your stay. Their staff is willing to help you with anything you need, whether it be language help, directions around the city, contacts and help for extra excursions, going out to dinner, someone to talk to or vitally anything you can think of. I have volunteered around the world and this staff was definitely one of the most prepared and hospitable. They have worked a long time with the people and places that you are placed in and I can assure you that you will not be let down with whichever placement you choose.

I do not have many critiques of this organization except for the fact that it was a little pricey for being a college student.

Christine
Québec, Québec, Canada
Université Laval

Seva Ashram

A fact is that travelling with an organization makes the overall process of planning your trip so much simplest than doing it by yourself. Volunteering means that you will not be paid in money ... Nevertheless, it also means that you are going to learn, to share, to grab experiences, to acquire references, etc. I have been placed in a child care program with 141 girls (from five to seventeen years old), and five staff members who also live on site all year long. It takes a quick period to adapt, but you rapidly get involved into their daily rhythm. Shower time, prayer, sweeping the ground with branches, make-up time, serving food, laundry, vegetables cutting, pulling buckets out of the well ... playing games with rocks, singing, dancing, reading English stories ... having fun and creating links with people.

My critic is more something that you should be aware of: Rome was not built in a day; be patient. When you notice something that you think could be improved by working in a different way ... sometimes new ideas are not welcomed. People are comfy in their lifestyle and are not necessarily willing to change and to be taught by a volunteer who passes by. What about me? After having spent six weeks with 141 girls, I feel like if I had learned a lot about humanity and the real richness and poverty.

Tip: If you are a woman travelling into India, I recommend that you carry a handful of safety pins!

L_Dean
York, United Kingdom
University of York

An unforgettable trip of a lifetime.

When I first decided to take a gap year and travel abroad to India I felt excitement, tinged with a hint of apprehension: I had never travelled alone before and even the thought of organising my project seemed an adventure in itself. For someone who had just finished their A-levels I had to make a transition from the theoretical to the practical, moving from Sixth-Form studies to organising my trip, sending off for a visa, booking flights, arranging the details of my plans, and raising funds. I shouldn’t have been so concerned; choosing, planning and organising my trip was straightforward with the help and support from Projects Abroad.

Through the website and the Projects Abroad brochure, I was easily able to search into the destination and project I was interested in, finding out about information specific to India and the projects on location. With the ‘request a call back’ and online information sessions I could ask any questions I had: the feedback I received was helpful and I always received a prompt.

After submitting my application for a three-month journalism project in India, Projects Abroad sent me information which helped me to prepare and organise my trip. I was given a comprehensive information pack, a log-in myprojectsabroad.org, and the details of my host family.

By the time January arrived, the New Year bringing my departure, I was full of excitement and anticipation for the adventure ahead. Although it may seem daunting at first, don’t let the thought of travelling alone stop you from doing something different and seizing the opportunity to take the trip of a lifetime. It is liberating to have a new-found independence and the only ties you have are to your all-too-heavy suitcase!

Upon my arrival in Madurai I was met by Victor, a member of the staff from the Projects Abroad office in India. It wasn’t until three of us approached the man with the beaming smile, holding aloft the Projects Abroad sign, that I realised the two volunteers from Germany I had befriended, on the bus to the arrivals department, were also doing their projects, care and sports, with Projects Abroad. From this point on I was never alone. I had never expected to meet so many like-minded people from across the world and the volunteers I shared my experience with, the people I am now lucky enough to call my friends-for-life, were one of the best aspects of my trip, helping to make my time in India so memorable.

Madurai is a fascinating city; living in a host family it really becomes your home, each volunteer you meet becoming another member of a strange, new, extended family. It is difficult to ever feel homesick when you are surrounded by so many other volunteers; there is always so much to talk about, so much to see and so much to do. I was lucky enough to stay with a family that supported up to eight volunteers. On average I shared a room with two other volunteers and we became as close as sisters. From arranging weekend trips to Kodaikanal, a beautiful hill station in Tamil Nadu; to local adventures up to the ‘Monkey Temple’; afternoon walks home via the watermelon-wallah, and evenings spent watching the sunset on the roof of our home in Moolakarai; we shared everything together. It is safe to say that I had never laughed so much, nor had as much fun, as I had over the space of time I spent in Madurai.

Working on the Madurai Messenger was a fantastic opportunity. A challenging and exciting project, the magazine gives volunteers the chance to choose their subject choice, within the theme of a particular month’s issue; conduct interviews, often on-location; write their articles; and see the printed result. Although I had no plans for a future career in journalism, I enjoyed writing, and the project couldn’t have been better for me. As a volunteer journalist with Projects Abroad I was immediately thrown into the deep end, learning on the job as I interviewed students at a Pongal Festival celebrating the harvest, with guests from the Iowa University, USA. I soon adjusted to the fast-paced progression presented by each issue. In my first month alone I travelled with a group of other journalists to Munnar for our issue on India’s tea plantations, I conducted a Skype interview with eminent American field biologist, Dr Clifford Rice, and I wrote about the illusive Nilgiri Tahr of the Western Ghats.

As journalists you find yourself immersed in the rich and vibrant culture of India. Opportunities with the magazine had me travelling to Chennai on night-trains, helping to release endangered Olive Ridley turtle hatchlings, tasting culinary delights prepared by a YouTube internet sensation, riding elephants through the forests of Munnar, and driving to the world’s highest tea plantation where we sampled cups of steaming chai. I attended festivals, visited the cinema, participated in the February’s One Billion Rising event at the Ghandi Museum, and travelled to Valparai for my cover story on elephant-human conflict in Tamil Nadu.

The people we met and the stories they told were incredible. Whether I was behind the notepad of questions, or attending an interview conducted by a fellow volunteer, I was fortunate enough to meet many inspiring individuals with fascinating stories to share. From wildlife photographer, Sriram Janak, to feminist poets, Salma, Sukirtharani, and Kutti Revathi; founder of Mahatma Schools, Premalatha Panneerselvam, to Dr. P. Kumarasamy, ‘The Batman of Madurai’; all were incredible to interview. The histories, achievements and testimonies which they recounted will remain as enshrined in my memories as it shall in the print of the Messenger.

One of my favourite aspects of my trip with Projects Abroad were the weekend trips. It was great to be able to explore Tamil Nadu with the help and guidance from the organisation. Weekend trips were also fantastic opportunities to meet other volunteers, find out about the projects others were working on, and to make friends with groups you may choose to travel on with. My first weekend in India was spent at a Pongal celebration held at a local school for the January festival. Volunteers joined staff and students, dressing up in saris, and learning about the local traditions and festivities. Everyone enjoyed the weekend of games, song, dance, and, of course, the auspicious – and delicious – pongal!

Other weekend highlights included a trip to Rameshwaram where we visited an array of vibrant temples, enjoyed a thali lunch, and swam in the pristine shores of Dhanushkodi Beach beneath the sunset. After meeting volunteers on other projects, a group of us organised a weekend trip to Kollam and Varkala in neighbouring state, Kerala. Staff from the Projects Abroad Indian office helped us to plan our itinerary, booking our train tickets and arranging our houseboat tour of the backwaters.

I was always so touched by the lengths to which people went to help us, to accommodate us, and to make sure we were safe, happy and well. From organising transport and travel, cultural workshops, and tours, to checking up on me when I was sick, taking me to visit the doctor and getting me the medication I needed; there is always a member of staff looking out for you, or just a phone call away.

The food offered in India is incredible and the culinary delights of South India are often a mysterious surprise for the western traveller. My experience in India turned me into a true foodie and I long for dosa, idly, poori, thali, raitha, and other Southern treats - I know that I should soon return and my stomach shall make sure of that! Whilst your host family may prepare pasta or noodles, most of the food we ate was South Indian cuisine, and my roommates and I would take regular bus trips into the city for dinner out in one of the many authentic eateries offered in Madurai. In addition to this, we would join the weekly ‘volunteer’s dinner’ on the rooftop of the Residency Hotel where Projects Abroad volunteers would meet up for a meal, a catch-up, and a Kingfisher. This was a great opportunity to keep in touch with other volunteers on different placements and weekend trip plans were often cemented over a chicken biryani, or a butter chicken masala.

My experience as a volunteer in India with Projects Abroad was incredible. Whilst it required a good deal of funding, looking back and considering the experiences I have had, the friends I made, the lessons learnt, along with the life-skills and character development that comes with travelling abroad, as cliché as it sounds, it has been priceless. Volunteering abroad gives you a new perspective, you are able to experience a new culture, meet people you would never have crossed before and you can see the world through a fresh set of eyes. Seize the moment whilst you have the chance, take the opportunity you have always considered and I can assure you that you shall not look back.

Volunteering with Projects Aboard gives you the chance to travel and more. With Projects Abroad you will be a part of your destination – rather than a tourist looking in on a city, you will be immersed in it, truly experiencing the culture for yourself. As a volunteer you will be constantly learning and will engage with an active role, be that by teaching in a local orphanage, or writing about the extraordinary efforts of a neurosurgeon. Your experience will be enriching for yourself and for your CV.

My decision to volunteer with Projects Abroad was one of the best I have ever made and I hope that my review shall help others to make similar decisions. Your project abroad will never leave you and when you are not volunteering or travelling overseas, you will be planning your next trip…

I would have brought a laptop with me as there were only a few reliable computers in the Madurai Messenger office.

Nennels
Pennsylvania

Projects Abroad 2 Week Special in India

I completed the two week medical program in India with Projects Abroad. During the first week, we went to several outreach facilities such as a family planning center, a leprosy village, and a special needs school. We were able to have direct interaction with all of the patients we met and I learned a lot. During the second week, we shadowed at a hospital and watched many surgeries. I even got to see open heart surgery! The surgeons allow you to take pictures in the operation room so I got some really great photos. This is definitely a once in a life time opportunity and I thought that the staff and other volunteers were very friendly and helpful. I learned a lot about the medical field and I was even able to take a CPR course! Every day we had lots of fun activities planned so I didn't feel like I was wasting my time. Overall, I would definitely recommend the program to anyone, because it was truly a unique and memorable experience.

I would've liked to have more options for my meals, as I was not accustomed to eating a lot of curry. We did go to many different restaurants, but I still would have liked to have a few more options.

Ronald
Canada

Medical Internship in Madurai, India

My friend and I traveled from Canada to Madurai int eh hopes of furthering our understanding of the medical world and to see what it would be like to work as a doctor. However when we arrived in India we were taken back by the incredible things we were able to witness. On our day trips my group visited a hospice, mental health institute, leprosy centre and Aryuveda hospital where we experienced various types of medicine. We we able to interact with patients on a 1-1 basis, and even help some of them in their daily activities. I also attended lectures on the treatment and history of the medical care there, fascinating me about the universal understanding and science of health care. At night I participated in cultural events such as learning traditional Indian dances and how to cook its cuisine. We also went on a safari and boat tour of a conservation in Kerala, a few hours form Madurai!

The highlight for me though, was being in the operating room with the doctors during actual surgeries! We go to see a cranioplasty, Cesarean Section and other cool operations that people in medical school don't even get to witness! This is truly a life changing trip and I urge people who are interested in medicine to attend this program to get an overview of what the medical world is truly like!

Although it was organized well there were some gaps in time that we could have used for personal leisure instead of staying in the hotel. I think a little bit more free time to explore Madurai with the group and group leaders would be an adequate use of extra time!

Julie
Montreal, Canada

Care - Vadamalapuram School & Orphanage

Working with kids for 2 weeks was a great experience, they are so happy to play and learn with the volunteers, its great. It was really hard to say goodbye to them though, even being there just for 2 weeks, you get attached to them. The host family at Vadamalapuram CMML School was very warm, the woman of the house was a wonderful cook and even took time to give us a few cooking lessons.

Volunteering in India, an experience you will never forget.

Mel
UK

Veterinary in India

Whilst I loved my host family and the other volunteers, and was able to have an incredible journey, through an incredible country, the organisation itself is really not the best in my opinion.

The placements were often very unsatisfactory, with rude staff, no oppurtunities to help and questionable treatment of animals and clients to say the least. For those doing externship programmes for university, be warned, you are not likely to work the co-ordinating vet, and will really have to push them to get with the appropriate person. That being said, we eventually managed to work with a really fantastic vet, who was very kind and informative, but it took a lot of hassle to get there.

The social programme is quite good, and the weekend trips are usually very enjoyable (but very expensive). The other volunteers always arrange their own trips as well, which are usually a lot more fun!

The projects abroad staff were mostly quite pleasant and friendly individuals (sadly my desk officer was a very unhelpful and frankly unprofessional man). However, as a company, they are only after your money, and I felt as though they were never very supportive and didn't really listen to our grievances (indeed following some of their advice regarding transport to work proved to be massively dodgy!) They also only pay a pittance to your family and placement, so I can't imagine where the rest of the money goes (considering how much you pay, they must have some bloomin' big bills!)

On the whole, I would suggest that you shop around before settling on Projects Abroad Veterinary in India, because it wasn't worth the money, and you can generally back pack around India for a fraction of the cost, and still find charities to help with.

kjang
Kingston, Ontario
Queen's University

Moldova, I love you!

I volunteered in Moldova through Projects Abroad for 3 months in the summer of 2008 and I still find myself enthusiastically talking about my experiences there to this very day. I didn't know anything about Moldova prior to going there and it was my very first big international trip alone. Looking back on it, I probably would have been a lot more stressed and nervous preparing for the trip if Projects Abroad wasn't as helpful and supportive as they were. A lot of logistical details were taken care of by them, such as accomodations, flight bookings, and travel insurance so that made everything much easier and allowed for more time to be excited. I also liked how I was able to pick the date of when I wanted to arrive and depart.

I was picked up at the airport by Projects Abroad staff and was brought to my first host family located in Chisinau. I spent my first month in that city doing a medical project, where I was able to spend time in different hospitals observing different procedures in various departments such as the children's burn unit and the face and jaw ward. I was able to stand in on many surgeries (I was surprised how close the doctors let you stand!) and while I saw some of the most heart-wrenching sights that I've ever seen in my life so far (especially in the burn unit), I am grateful for those opportunities since here in Canada, I probably wouldn't be able to get to see what I saw there. The doctors were very accomodating and Projects Abroad was great at placing you in different hospitals based on what you requested to see.

I spent the next 2 months in the village of Vadul lui Voda doing a care project where I helped at Motivatie, a centre for people with disabilities. I provided an extra pair of hands for the wheelchair basketball and wheelchair tennis program that was held every morning at a nearby gymnasium. My time in the village was definitely the most memorable and I became very close with my host family there. They were so hospitable and family-oriented and they treated me like I was a part of thier family right from the start. Even though there was a language barrier, we were still able to communicate and I did learn some of the Romanian language. They provided me with a true traditional Moldovan experience complete with delicious food, family celebrations, and goats on the streets.

This eye-opening experience was one of the most memorable experiences in my life. The people I met there were absolutely amazing and I learned so much. The Projects Abroad staff definitely helped me get settled in and they were readily available for any needed help and support. Weekly weekend excursions for the volunteers were also organized by the staff which was a great way to learn about the country and to meet the other volunteers. One definitely needs to be open-minded and be able to take things as they come while being here, as life can be a bit unpredictable and inconsistent, but that definitely adds to the fun of it all!

Elijah
Louisville, Kentucky

The Land of Enchantment

Projects Abroad India gave me the type of experience that I'll never forget. The host family was gracious, accomodating, and always willing to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. I distinctly remember the first morning I woke up in Madurai, India and saw the sunrise explode over the mountains on the horizon as the call to breakfast was made by one of the orphanage volunteers. Foreign travel is always enchanting, but Projects Abroad helped to give me a sense of purpose throughout my journey. The program structure is framed in a way that volunteers leave feeling rewarded for their time, but also blessed for having been alive through such an adventure. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to travel internationally for a noble cause.

CJSmith
Boston, MA

Amazing Journalism and Election Opportunity

This internship went beyond my expectations. My placement with the Independent Journalism Center worked well for my goals of getting a feel for the communications field. I was given immense leeway and responsibility in researching the political and media environment of Moldova and helped edit, promote and choose articles that would be posted to their international website to raise funding and awareness of the issues in Moldova. Although I didn't have knowledge of the language, my role in helping them reach out the international community was easily conducted in English.
I was incredibly fortunate to be there during their second round of elections in July of 2009 where I helped coordinate 20 journalists from to EU to attend press conferences, observe voting practices and get to know the country. Not only did I get to attend numerous press conferences with politicians, Non-governmental organizations and the OSCE, I was able to observe and ask veteran journalists in the field their professional opinions and help them accomplish their work. I LOVED the action, the responsibility and the unique environment. Since my experience, I have been accepted to an International Relations and Communications program at Boston University. Now in my second year of my Master's program, my experience in Moldova never ceases to impress my peers.

Jeshika
Honolulu, HI

Healthcare Volunteer in Madurai

I volunteered in Madurai through Projects Abroad. They assigned me to a hospital, where I got to shadow doctors and scrub in on surgeries. I admit the shadowing and surgeries were very cool, however I was disappointed in the sense where I did not get much patient interaction. Everyone could not speak English very well. The only people that could speak some English were the doctors and nurses. And the doctors were so busy, they would not explain what happened to the patient, what their disease what, or how to they were treating it. I was curious and wanted to know more about the patients, but I felt bad bothering the doctors, and I could not talk to the patients directly because of the language barrier.

Teaching in Moldova

I could not have been happier with my choice to volunteer with Projects Abroad. I found out about Projects Abroad through a career fair at my university and I thought it would a cool thing to do over the summer. I chose to travel to Moldova, located in Eastern Europe, because I had never heard of the small nation before. It was the best decision of my life thus far. I have no doubt that my friends are sick of me talking endlessly about my adventures in Moldova and my parents are probably disturbed by the total makeover which has taken place in my room to make space for all my pictures. From the moment I submitted my application the Projects Abroad staff was in contact with me. They were always prompt and knowledgeable although I would not recommend their flight booking service (you can find much better rates just booking airline tickets yourself). However, overall, I felt that the program was a good value. When I arrived in Moldova I was met at the airport by a friendly, and welcoming staff member. I was then brought to my host family who opened up their home to me and made me feel like I was staying with family. In terms of satisfaction with my volunteering project, I am extremely pleased. I started teaching my own classes the very first day I went to the local school. The students were so enthusiastic I instantly fell in love. Of course everyday was a challenge, but I was very pleased with the assistance and advice the staff provided me. Every weekend the Projects Abroad team offered trips to local sites to the volunteers. This was a great way to meet the other volunteers and see the area. Although I think they could have been done for less money, overall the chance to mingle with the other volunteers off set the potential price hike. I recommend Projects Abroad without hesitation. It was an amazing opportunity I am so grateful to have had.

S.J
Southampton

A Great Organisation to go abroad with

When travelling to another country, especially one that has many dangers like india, I felt really safe with projects abroad as they offer a tremendous amount of support from start to finish. I was on a medical placement, and the standard of hygiene in those hospitals is lower, so you must take extra care and if you are worried or doubtful about anything, tell someone and do something.The particular placement that I was on was 2 weeks long, and a lot of activities were crammed into such a short space, which is good and bad. Socially it was also good because we will be in small friendly groups but frequently all the groups would come together, so there were plenty of opportunities to make friends. There were no big issues throughout the placements, but the high cost of the project itself is something to consider, as it is surprisingly expensive. But overall would recommend if cost is not a issue.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those