Become an Online Mentor

Due to COVID we are putting expeditions on pause but you can still change the world by becoming an online mentor to a child in a developing country.

We take care of everything so each day so you can just focus on changing lives and enjoying your experience!
This humanitarian expedition will provide REAL experiences. By building a library, you will help those who are less fortunate have something that will truly change their lives and the lives of generations to come. During your time you will teach classes, visit homes, read with the children, build a library, and celebrate the completion of the library with the village.

You will have the chance to immerse yourself in the culture of Nepal as well as spend two days seeing the beauty of the country.

Village Book Builders is an organization founded on the desire to bring knowledge to children and families across the world by building community libraries that provide access to literacy education.

• All inclusive: accommodations, meals, project supplies, and transportation.
  • Two excursion days to see the beauty of your service country.
  • The opportunity to enter the homes of the villagers and understand their way of life.
  • Professional local guide providing 24/7 support.
  • Custom meals according to your diet or allergies.

Christmas Break Expeditions Open

Belize is open for registration. Come spend your Christmas giving back through service travel in the Caribbean!

In Peru!
Kylie

I would go again!!

Going to Nepal has always been one of my dreams, and I am so glad I had the chance to not only go but make a difference while I was there! I love books and it is so much fun to share my favorite books! This is my second expedition with Village Book and I will keep going on these trips as they are addicting!! Service is one of the things that brings me the greatest joy in life and learning about new cultures and people is a definite plus! This is a rural experience so not anything like a 5-star hotel but it is a 5-star connection with the people and doing something that really matters not just painting a wall but really making a life long difference in the lives of the people there! I would go again in a heartbeat and am so grateful for the experiences I have had!

a nice chat
Elisabeth

The Beauty of the Himalyas

The opportunity to work so closely with a rural village was amazing! We really were able to become part of the village and they let us become part of their community! I learned so much about their cultures and traditions and am better because of it! I was able to play a crucial part in planning the expedition and working with the leaders of the community even before we arrived. The leaders there are so passionate about helping the next generation succeed especially the young girls who have been held back by generations of sexism, but they want to change all that. Many of them are now my closest friends and will wish me happy birthday and reach out to me on facebook to see how I am doing. This really has been a life-changing experience and I am excited to continue to work with them.

Read my full story
Annamarie

Bringing Treasure to the Hidden Treasure of the World

Oh my goodness. If you want to volunteer in Nepal GO WITH VBB! Seriously the most immersive and unique experience of my life. We lived among the community for the whole time we were there and got to experience the beautiful life they live. Since we were teaching classes in the school the kids and their families knew us and took us around the village every day. One day they took us to their local dairy farm and the textile factory. It was so neat. We went to a few local temples as well. It was amazing. Did I mention Nepal is just GORGEOUS.

The people are the most genuine, honest, and loving people I've met. And that's down to every single person I met. Their culture is so rich and beautiful. On one day we did a sunrise hike up to a breathtaking lookout point to watch the sun rise above the Himalayas. Unforgettable.

The kids helped us in the library and the opening day was amazing. They got us traditional celebration clothing so we could all celebrate together. Many local authorities came, including a member of the Nepali Congress and ex-minister of defense. When they toured the library they were amazed and so grateful. The member of congress said this was the very first public library in all of Nepal! He donated a sum to help pay the staff and asked to support Village Book Builders for future trips to Nepal.

We get reports on how the library is going even after we return from the trip. Within three weeks of it running they had an average of 400 hundred people using it. They say people travel from surrounding communities to access the books! Amazing. So grateful to have been a part of it.

What was your funniest moment?
I was 6 months pregnant at the time and it was so fun how people reacted to it. They treated my little baby as if she were already out and added company. We'd be eating and one of them would say, "I think I heard someone say it was good!" pointing at my baby. Or one time we were posing with a family for a picture and the father moved his son away from in front of my tummy because he was "completely covering someone in the picture." They were so hospitable and loving and funny!
Josh Atkinson
Joshua

Priceless Gift of Giving

After traveling with this group to Mexico, I took a second trip with them to Nepal. Tostart, here are some of the highlights. While in Nepal, we had a full cultural immersion. We stayed with Nepali host families. We ate the food they ate. We got to learn some of their language and what they like to do and really see how they live. This made it even more enjoyable to serve them. Teaching the importance of education and building a library is something I will never forget. The smiles on the faces of children and adults alike as they had the opportunity to have a library for the first time ever!
Because of our local contacts we were able to visit less touristy places that had some serious WOW factor to them. We hike to the top of a hill to a Hindu temple and spent time meditating there. River rafting on the trisuli river. And hiked for an amazing sunrise hike with the sun over the Himalayas. This trip was phenomenal and would highly recommend to anyone!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
While they do speak English in Nepal, it is not the same as we speak in the United States. It was sometimes difficult to communicate with the people.
Michelle

Building Capacity for Change

If you are looking to make a global impact and creating a culture of literacy in a remote part of the world, this trip is for you! You will be immersed in the culture, surrounded by humble and generous hosts and you will leave having learned much more than you hoped to instill. It was a wonderful organization to partner with and they truly do have a servant mindset as they seek to bring a reading culture through building libraries. One of the other parts of the trip I loved was meeting people from all over the USA that made up the team. We had a chance to do some tourism activities that were so much fun such as river rafting and visiting temples. I hope to go back again and see the progress made and continue the relationships which have become lifelong friends! Don’t miss out on a trip of a lifetime!

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was hearing one of my teammates say at breakfast that she swore an animal was giving birth outside her window! The noises of the village at 4am can take a little getting used to!
J

A fun way to travel

Traveling to another country takes planning and organization, but if you travel with village book builders, all of that work is done for you. If I wanted to go to Nepal, I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out how to set that up. Village Book sets up the housing, the travel, and even does the research on the best places to visit for fun. And you get to be involved in a great service project and potentially gain some leadership experience depending on what you want to do.

I would recommend this for students. I would recommend this for someone who has traveled overseas before, for someone who enjoys interacting with people from other cultures, for someone who is ok with accommodations that are different from what you are used to, and for someone who likes service projects.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Make sure to have plenty of cash for the market. Bring a debit card of course for the ATM but also have some cash on hand. Take lots of pictures. Bring some extra snacks from home in case you get a little bit tired of the local food.
Taylor

Amazing!

This was one of the best experiences I have ever been apart of! We really made a difference in these childrens lives and it was incredible to be apart of that! I made so many connections with people I never would have known without this program! And we got to stay with the families of the village which was fun but definitely an experience! But without doing that I wouldnt have found my second family! The people were so kind and genuine and the children were so caring towards the books! And of course the excursion days were awesome! I'm glad they took time out of the building and things to do something fun and immersive. Definitely be prepared for some culture shock as the lifestyle and things are completely different! I cant wait to go on another trip with village books when I get the chance!

Loren

Change of perspective

I love humanitarian trips abroad because they help me to be grateful for what I have (both skills and possessions). And this trip was no different.
My favorite part of the trip was going and sharing our plans for our own future and what they could do with theirs. But I also loved helping them begin the tradition of reading and learning as a family.
I was surprised and grateful that they could help us travel half way around the world and visit so many historical does for such a low cost. The culture is so different since the majority of people aren't Christian. But their values are very high in many ways.
We took a ton of books and laptops and were able to help the children there learn how to read in English more.
Traveling there and back was a long journey. But it was worth it for the price. And we experienced and bonded so much more.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Everyone was so kind and accepting. There is very little crime.