Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Nepal

Annapurna South
Outreach program with children
Outreach program with children
A Kathmandu sunset.
Beautiful Nepalese woman selling cabbages.
From our trip to the monkey temple!

Nepal is a beautiful country with many fantastic opportunities to volunteer and intern within its borders. Nepal is a tiny, stunning land of snow-capped mountains, majestic old temples and the colorful city of Kathmandu.

Volunteer in Nepal and help improve conditions for local children by volunteering in a Care or special needs center, or by Teaching English in a local school. You can also choose to focus on providing care and support for those affected by HIV/ADIS. If you are more interested in nature, our Himalayan Mountain Conservation project would be perfect for you!

Efforts to renovate and rebuild damaged schools after the earthquake in 2015 are also still running in Nepal. Join us in our Building project.

Help us Preserve & Save the Amazon Rainforest in Peru!

🌍 Discover the award-winning Taricaya Ecological Reserve ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 Available from 1 to 52 weeks

Wake up to the sounds of the jungle & explore the beauty of the Amazon rainforest. On our rainforest conservation program, you'll work with our team of experts to help rehabilitate wild animals & preserve this unique ecosystem for future generations.

Discover more & Apply!

Popular Programs

children going to school in nepal

Gain childcare experience and support early childhood development in care centers.

hammering and shoveling community projects in nepal

Travel to Asia and help rebuild and repair classrooms damaged by earthquakes.

group of volunteers in nepal in front of mountain

Live and work in the Himalayas and help preserve and enhance the biodiversity of this renowned area.

two males teaching with white board in nepal

Travel to Nepal and get practical classroom experience by helping children improve their English.

Lauren

Nepal

My experience was so much fun. Not only did it let me discover a new culture but also help the community I was staying in. We volunteered in a school, we were painting the walls bright colours and adding murals to them to make their learning environment a mite enjoyable place to learn in. It was great fun meeting all the kids as they were so interested in us and loved to teach us new games that we brought back to England. But the trip wasn’t all work and no play. We were able to explore the culture on an evening and spent lots of time looking around stalls. We had a couple days off from our volunteering program and were able to truly experience the country, we watched the sun rise over the mountains. Overall it was just an experience of a lifetime.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The food was very unfamiliar and took a while to get used to. It was the biggest part of culture shock.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Lauren,
I’m glad to read about your amazing time on our Care project in Nepal. Your hard work is truly appreciated by us and the local community. We hope to welcome you back again on one of our meaningful projects.

Lérina

The best trip of my Life

I went to Nepal to do my intern for my French University, my subject was "Study of Common Leopard (Panthera Pardus) in ACAP". It was the best expérience of my Life as well Humanly as professionnaly ! There was the best coordinator ever in this place, it's more than my superior he was my friend and he helped me so much to write my scientific article !

The View was incroyable and the jungle too, the people was so nice !
The food on site was a little spicy for a French girl like me 🥵😂 but really good, the cook chef on site was really good and we had a good time helping him.

Thanks Projects Abroad, thanks all of the coordinator, thanks Raj Family for every thing !

ps : Becareful the walk are very very hard in this place, it's better if you have a training before you go there.

For the volunteer, They need more diversified programs in Ghandruk, because it's always the same job and if your trip it's very long it's can be boring.
Response from Projects Abroad

Lérina, wow!
Thank you for your incredible review. Projects Abroad and the local community really appreciate your hard work towards the Conservation project in Nepal. We’re here anytime to help you organise your next meaningful adventure.

George

Youth Development

This was my second time volunteering with Projects Abroad. I chose to volunteer on the Youth Development project which is based at a school in the Nawalparasi district near Chitwan National Park.

At the school, I helped run debating sessions for the students, ran English reading and writing classes, ran workshops on the importance of conservation and sports classes, small scale building and helped at with the school meal programme which Projects Abroad pays for.

I felt as though I made a great impact on the lives of children that needed it the most and I can say truly, without hesitation, that this project is amazing and worthwhile.

At the Weekend I went to the National Park where I saw a wild Tiger and Indian Rhino! + Gharial Crocs! Truly amazing.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We were eating dinner in Chitwan main strip of restaurants and two wild (friendly) Indian Rhinos walked past!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello George,

It sounds like you’ve had a fantastic time away on our Football project in Ghana. The effort that you put into the project was admirable; you are truly appreciated by the local community and Projects Abroad. We’ll see you soon on another project or Internship!

Emmanuel Abaaja, Country Director for Ghana

Kristi

Building a school

I had a phenomenal time helping build a school in Nepal. The home we lived in as volunteers was a fun and safe place to be. We were transported daily to the work site by the staff. Staff members helped us learn how to do each step of the construction process as well as checked in with us personally to make sure everything was going well with the work and at the home site. In county support had weekend trips available to us to join with itineraries ready to go for us which was helpful. As a volunteer I felt I was supported and safe, I had flexibility but also felt productive with the work schedule. I've traveled with other organizations before that were more cost effective but lacked the same level of support. Since I was traveling alone this time it was great to have the full support of Projects Abroad staff.

I would have liked to have received a picture of the school once it was completed to see what I started.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Kristi,
Thanks for your great review. We strive to meet expectations like yours, we’re happy to hear that we hit the mark for you. Thank you for your contribution towards our ongoing Building Project in Nepal – your help is really appreciated. We hope to see you again on one of our projects!

Karissa

Care Project in Nepal

I am a solo traveler from Australia and then was my first time traveling overseas on my own. While any new experience has its nerves, Projects Abroad were there to support me. From the induction on my first day, weekly cafe meet ups, group supervision and our whatsapp group chat I had support to flourish in this environment and make the most of my project. I volunteered in a school for children with disabilities and as a social work student used my skills to promote different teaching styles for children with disabilities to extend their learning experience and outcomes. In a classroom where English is limited this is quite difficult to achieve but through my ProjectsAbroad supervisors guidance I was able to achieve this in a way that didn't undermine the teacher but still allowed the children to benefit. My highlight was seeing one of the little girls smile while learning words in English. Another aspect of my trip that surprised me was the social side- I was on my own in Nepal, quite shy and didn't expect to mingle but ProjectsAbroad supported this with weekly activities so that I met new people and we would all go out and travel on weekends. These social activities like scavenger hunts, traditional cooking, yoga and trivia brought people from all over the world together and was a great opportunity to get to know each other. This gave me the confidence to travel around with the group and visit 8/10 world heritage sites in Nepal and travel to several different towns to experience more of the country. Overall this trip was empowering for me as a young woman as it not only allowed my to do something that I love- working with children but it put me out of my comfort zone and demonstrated that I really can do anything I set my mind to. This was my big crazy adventure and I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing to embrace the unique country that is Nepal.

To future travellers I say be prepared to step outside of your comfort zone. I know it can be terrifying but its so worth it in the confidence you get from it. Also being in a foreign country sometimes doesn't agree with your stomach so make sure you pack hydrolyte, or gastrostop to get through the tricky situations like 9hr bus rides.
Response from Projects Abroad

Karissa, wow!

Josh

Life changing experience

In my time helping out at a local school I got to know the students, the staff and the people of the country.

From decorating the school, helping out in the nursery to teaching business class to older students everything I did felt like it had a purpose.

Doing this all with the support of the friendly staff made me feel welcome and love every moment, always being able to ask questions and find out more about the country while there.

This experience taught me so much, allowed me to open my eyes wider and most importantly leave with life long friends. To this day I still keep in touch with teachers from the school and many
other volunteers from around the world.

This is why it was one of the biggest impacts on my life. Even now I look back on it as a trip that experienced my entire outlook.

What was your funniest moment?
In my leaving assembly the whole school came together to perform a dance we had been teaching them in their breaks. This dance was the chicken dance, a big part of my childhood. Seeing everyone’s faces including the teachers while doing this was amazing!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Josh,
I’m happy to hear about your fantastic time away with us on our High School Specials Care & Community project in Nepal. Great things are achieved when volunteers join our global community. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated not just by us but by the local community. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Janneke

Amazing experience

My experience in Nepal was one of the best of my life. I volunteered at a centre for children with disabilities, wich is a hard but rewarding task, also my own choice there is a lot of other stuff you can do. I was able to do what i was good at and also stepped out of my comfort zone. Projects abroad organized a lot of fun stuff to do with all the volunteers and I got to meet so many amazing people! They also have great info to prepare yourself for the journey. And when things got hard or difficult i could always call Them, and they never failed to respond quickly when i got into Trouble (me and another volunteer got lost on a hike and they send people to save us haha). It is a slightly more expensive organisation but worth every Penny. I felt prepared, safe and cared for. I got to expierence so much. Would not hesitate to travel with Them again.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Me and another volunteer went on a hike. At the end of IT there was supposed to be a small town with a bus stop and a bus back to Kathmandu. There however was not, and it started rain and thunder started as well. A few locals (in the 7 words of english they knew) wanted to call us a taxi. But we were out of money (bad preparation on our part) . So we called projects abroad and they sent someone in a jeep to come pick us up.
Response from Projects Abroad

Janneke, wow! Thank you for your incredible review. Projects Abroad and the local community really appreciate your hard work towards the Care project in Nepal. We’re here anytime to help you organise your next meaningful adventure.

Callum

Care and Community High School Special

Before arriving, I was nervous, apprehensive but very excited! As soon as I landed I was greeted by Projects Abroad staff who welcomed me into the country and gave me a short tour around Thamel.
The placement was amazing, we painted several school buildings and even taught the children some basic maths and English (as well as some fun games!)
I went on a High School Special trip to Nepal, so we had a weekend visit organised for us. We visited Pokhara and it was very enjoyable (except the 7 hour bus journey...)
Our Projects Abroad co-ordinators, Chris and Sujan, were both extremely welcoming and made our trip the experience of a lifetime! Projects Abroad organised a full itinerary for the trip, and we were safe and well looked after 24/7.
We stayed in a hotel which was basic, but clean and had a lovely restaurant.
I’d highly recommend PA to anyone looking for a fulfilling and enjoyable way to volunteer abroad.

To fully experience Nepal, you must immerse yourself in the culture and remember you’ll only be there for two weeks, so you must enjoy and try everything!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Callum,
I’m glad to read about your amazing time on our High School Specials Care & Community project in Nepal. Your hard work is truly appreciated by us and the local community. We hope to welcome you back again on one of our meaningful projects.

Ba Linh
No, I don't recommend this program

Good for your CV

I did several volunteer programs in Nepal and was fairly disappointed. If you want to actually have an impact on the community, you definitely should not contact Projects Abroad. Projects Abroad is part of the "voluntourism" industry. Instead of actually contributing to the local community, it is offering services (experience abroad, cultural experience, you name it) to its customers. Some projects make sense, such as the conservation project in Ghandruk. Others don't, such as the care oder medicine project. In case you thought you actually get to help out in hospitals or other medical institutions, I will have to disenchant your illusion: the only thing you will be doing, is observing. Yes. you get to observe every detail and even operations but you will be doing for the community.

To concluce, you will have to decide whether you just want to get out of your national/local bubble and experience other cultures in the comfort of Projects Abroad, receive instant-graftication for doing nothing or whether you actually want to get out of your comfort zone and contribute to the local community. In the latter case, I suggest looking for other programs that probably do not cost you anything but own expenses.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
People not willing to help you contribute to the local community because that's just not the way we do things there and they're unhygienic, ill-mannered and uncivilized anyway.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hey Ba Linh,

Since your initial post on Trustpilot (15/05) we have started our email conversation with you.

I have replied to your other email CC'ing Harry in so he can deal with the points raised and discuss next steps. He should be in touch with you today.

Just for the purpose of this review, I will copy n paste our initial response here too.

Best,

Caleb
Projects Abroad - Community Manager
___________
Hey Ba Linh,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we always appreciate and welcome all reviews.

May I first just say how sorry I am for the latter part of your trip, I can only imagine the time and effort on your part when booking this trip, so not feeling you got the best out of it will be frustrating.

Our honest aim is both to positively impact the community and provide valuable experience for you as a volunteer. This can, at times, look differently on different projects and whilst the impact may appear less over a short period of time, it is the longer term contribution of many volunteers that ensure the programmes are as meaningful as possible. This is especially evident when working with children at our partner care placements. Placements that need our volunteers help are often chaotic and unstructured and we aim to support our volunteers through this as much as possible, however we cannot always guarantee the first placement is a right fit for the volunteer and therefore we offer alternatives. Unfortunately the alternative placement we provided you wasn't in line with your preferences.

I feel with the conservation project which you really enjoyed, they are often more hands on and therefore it is easier to see the short-term benefits. When you work with children the positive impact you are having is often less apparent during a short period of time. We do however ensure, alongside our local partners, that the work of our volunteers is meaningful and contributing towards longer term development goals. It is so important to us for feedback like yours as it is vital for us to ensure the placements we work with are still targeting the same goals, which is why our Head Office Coordinator Harry will be addressing your comments in person next week with the team in Nepal.

Just to briefly highlight our Medical Projects in Nepal, these are aimed at being educational for interns. In order to ensure these programmes are ethical and provide the best possible learning experience for our volunteers, we only offer observational internships programmes in Nepal. We also only work with trusted hospitals who give our interns all the required permissions to observe the staff and patients at the hospital. If at any point a medical staff member or patient was uncomfortable, they would of course take action to ensure the wellbeing of the patient.

I really want to state we do not run superficial volunteering programmes, but we do have programmes that are designed for all types of people and we do our upmost to ensure they meet their requirements.

We welcome anymore specific feedback on your experience and suggestions of how we can improve our projects. Should you like, you are most welcome for my colleague Harry to have a call with you? You can discuss your feedback in more detail. Please let me know and we can get this booked asap.

All the best,

Caleb
Projects Abroad - Community Manager

Nina

Projects Abroad Care Volunteer Nepal

This was an amazing experience!! Nepal was such an influential country to visit and opened so many opportunities for me to continue travelling all thanks to Projects Abroad. It was very easy to connect with in country staff members to have my questions answered and help
me with any needs I may have. My first day there, my supervisor showed me around Thamel and where the ATMs, grocery stores, health center and shops are.

My host family was amazing. They always made sure I had enough food and safe drinking water. They showed me the way to my placement and the local stores to get snacks and cash. They were incredibly nice and the house was very clean and not far from the school. The other volunteers are people whom I will never forget. My fellow volunteers made my trip so much fun.

My placement was amazing. The kids were so eager to learn and excited to see me every day. I taught them everything from Math to English to Geography and Dancing!! It was such a beautiful school and the staff was so helpful with communication between the students and I.

Nepal was an amazing experience that I would do all over again if I could!!

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Nina,

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Nepal! We are indeed very proud of our host family community; they always go above and beyond to make sure you feel comfortable and safe.

We bet your students are very grateful for your lessons. Thanks for sharing!

Cecilia

Projects Abroad Nepal

Volunteering with Projects Abroad in Nepal was absolutely incredible! It was an amazing experience. When I first got to the airport in Kathmandu, I was picked up by a taxi organized by Projects Abroad and went straight to Prince Hotel in Thamel. I had my orientation there. During my time in Nepal, I did three projects. I did the Teaching Project, Himalayan Conservation Project, and Building Project. Each one gave me new and exited experiences and unforgettable memories. The staff was friendly and welcoming and they were always there if you needed anything. All three projects were organized, and I always felt safe.

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Cecilia. It's wonderful that you got to be involved in so many different projects in Nepal! There are lots of ways to make yourself useful in this beautiful country so it's great that you were able to pitch in in different areas. Which one was your favorite?
Thank you for sharing!

Jessica

Adventure and Friendship in Nepal

My time in Nepal was life-changing, and not just because I was in one of the most naturally gorgeous and culturally rich countries in the world (although that, of course, was part of it!). A big part of why my trip was so rewarding was due to the people who made it possible. Projects Abroad staff made sure that every aspect of my journey to and time in Nepal was perfect, even beyond my project. Even before I left I was in contact with PA staff who walked me through my pre-departure preparations, with any answers I needed being just a phone call or email away. This staff accessibility continued throughout my journey, with my volunteer coordinator and other staff at my placement actually becoming good friends. Even after my placement ended, PA staff was there for me whenever I needed it-they even helped me to organize my solo travel (a trip to Chitwan and time in Kathmandu) so that I didn't have to worry about a thing! The community was also fantastic; I made friends on my trip who I will keep in contact with for the rest of my life, and loved getting to know both my fellow volunteers and the locals who call Ghandruk home. I also greatly enjoyed my day-to-day; I felt truly fulfilled by the work I was doing and further had a lot of fun doing it. I can't wait to travel with Projects Abroad again!

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Jessica, it does sound like you had a terrific time in Nepal. We understand the big role our local staff play in making your experience go smoothly, so they are always going out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and that you feel safe. Thank you for sharing!

Lydia

Nepal - Physiotherapy

Nepal was my first time out of the country, but it was an experience I will never forget. I knew that if I ever needed anything in Nepal, I had 20 different people I could call for help. The Projects Abroad staff was so awesome and helpful. They made sure to place us with a caring and kind family, and with supervisors who wanted to teach us. My time in Nepal is something I value very much, but the knowledge and background that I now have for physiotherapy and foreign countries is so much more.

My favorite part of Nepal was my host family. I stayed with 3 other volunteers and now have 3 new best friends from around the world. My host mom was the absolute sweetest human being I had ever met. She was constantly making sure that we were all comfortable and happy. Her three sons were always there to help and even pick us up from town if we needed a ride. My roommate could not figure out how to get home from her placement, and kept getting lost. My host family was always ready to pick her up when she was lost and even walked to and from work with her for a week. My host mom had a knack for making maps to help us to get work and to town and I will never forget them. The food was impeccable and we experienced true Nepali culture. My host mom will always hold a special place in my heart.

Outside of work and home, I got to get really close with the other volunteers. Going to a foreign country for 5 weeks could be a taxing challenge, but having 30 other people to do it with made it so much easier. Every Friday, the staff at projects abroad organized a group activity. We learned about Nepal culture and food, while getting to see all the volunteers. This allowed us to get to know each other and have friends to hang out with on the weekends. Besides our Friday night activity, the staff also organized outreaches weekly. This meant that typically once a week, we went out to the community and participated in something related to our placement. In physiotherapy, we typically went with the medical volunteers to talk to schools and kids about hygiene, health and activity. Other times, a doctor or physiotherapist would come in and teach us something new. I valued this experience because it was constantly challenging me in my field. Along with the challenge, I got to exchange information and knowledge with people who valued the same stuff as me. The Projects Abroad staff always made sure that our outreaches pertained to our field and were important for the community or us. Overall, my experience in Nepal is something that I will never forget.

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Lydia. Thanks for sharing! It's great to hear you feel so supported by our staff and welcomed by your host family. We believe these are key aspects of your volunteering abroad experience. It's also important to be part of an international community of volunteers, so you are able to make friends with similar interests from around the world. Thank you for all your help and disposition in your project - I am sure your patients are just as grateful!

Fiona

Building Project- Kathmandu

I flew into Nepal with much excitement and very few nerves having been well prepared and briefed on what to expect in Kathmandu by Projects Abroad. I was warmly welcomed into my host families house by my host parents Ram and Mina as well as 13 other volunteers. It was amazing to have so many people to introduce you to the way of life in Nepal, how to best get around the city, a few words in Nepali as well as helping you out on the build site.

Work was physically challenging however our onsite coordinator was amazing in looking after our general well being as well as aiding communications between the local staff (engineers, painters, masons etc) and the volunteers. The work was very varied, volunteering for 3 months I was able to see the project in its many stages. Music was always playing to keep us pumped up as we demolished, moved rubble, mixed cement, lay bricks, painted and sanded.

Weekends were always busy with plenty of temples, markets and gardens to see around Kathmandu as well as being able to enjoy weekend trips away to the jungles of Chitwan or the lakeside city Pohkara. The volunteer community built by Projects Abroad meant that there was no shortage of people to meet and travel with, it was incredible being able to live and work alongside people from over 10 countries. Projects Abroad ensured that you felt comfortable and safe whilst keeping you busy for the entire trip and I could not recommend joining one of their trips more highly.

I feel that instead of having a one hour lunch break, our work may have been more productive if we had a 15 minute break earlier in the day and a 45 minute lunch break slightly later to make better use of our break time.
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Fiona. Thanks for sharing! Indeed, Building projects are physically challenging, which is why we do have the one-hour lunch break, so volunteers that are not used to such work can take a long enough break. Volunteers' safety is our number one priority!
It's great to hear you had such a good time with your host family as well as your fellow volunteers from around the world.

Jennie

Conservation in the Himalayas

My experience during the Himalayan Mountain Conservation Project in Nepal with Projects Abroad was absolutely incredible and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Ghandruk is a beautiful village with a breathtaking view of the Himalayas and it's worth the trip just to see the mountains! The people in Ghandruk and in Nepal as a whole are the nicest people that I have ever encountered.

The trip was very organized and all of the Projects Abroad staff members were helpful, full of knowledge, and always available if I had any questions. The actual conservation work in Ghandruk taught me quite a lot about the plants and wildlife in that area of the Himalayas. I was able to see certain animals and plants that I have never seen before, such as a snow leopard on the camera trap (which is very rare). There are many stairs that make up the village so you will get a great workout and be in fantastic shape by the time your project is over. You will also meet other volunteers and form friendships with people from all around the world. I would recommend this project for anyone that loves nature and is looking for a bit of an adventure. I promise that it is an amazing and life changing experience from beginning to end.