Volunteer with Palestinian Children

Would you like to come to Palestine and volunteer with Palestinian children in Hebron? Would you like to stay at a Palestinian host family and live Palestinian daily life? Are you interested in learning Arabic while you are in Palestine and practice the language? If yes, then this program fits you well.

Volunteer or Intern with Palestinian children is a great opportunity for those who want to travel to Palestine, get to know the Palestinian culture, interact with Palestinians, live with a Palestinian host family and the most importantly leave a very positive impact upon the Palestinian community.

This program has been designed to engage the Palestinian children with internationals where children get to know other cultures and take part in activities that help them learn from older people in many different fields.

• International volunteers will create and organize activities that are aimed at educating Palestinian children aged between 6-15 years including English sessions that focus on conversation.
  • Participating in or organizing entertainment activities for Palestinian children such as musical, drawing, sport, play educational games, arts and crafts.
  • Get 3 hours of Palestinian spoken Arabic lessons per week.
  • Experience true life in Palestine and what it mean to be a Palestinian.
  • Accommodation, including either staying with a Palestinian host family or at a dorm.

Sophie

My experience

My name is Sophie, I’m 20 years old and I came to Palestine from Russia for three incredible weeks. I study standard Arabic language and history of Arabic countries in my university so my trip to Palestine was an opportunity to practice my language skills and increase my knowledge about Palestinian history.

My experience in Hebron and at the Palestine Centre was interesting and fascinating. I really enjoyed working in a center with children because they are always so happy to see foreigners from another countries, to speak with them in English and to ask some questions about their traditions and culture. The children are really engaged in the studying and learning.

During my volunteering period we visited an Old City of Hebron, some historical places of Hebron, factories and refugees camp. We’ve seen how live Palestinians people under Israel’s occupation and talked with people who suffer from it. In factories we observed the process of making glass, pottery and tissue. Also we have English classes in beautiful Palestinian villages and I personally felt in love with some of local villages (Surif is one of my favorite places in the world now!).

What I like most in the Palestinian culture it’s the people. They are really hospitable, friendly and welcoming. They always invited me in their houses, talked with me about their cultures and lavished me with traditional Palestinian meals.

As for me, Palestine is safe. I feel myself safety all the time I was here. I am absolutely not scared to walk alone or riding in a taxi or just sitting in public places.

I would recommend other people to visit Palestine and to meet local people and to admire their open-mindedness and hospitality (and to try traditional maqluba!). I am grateful to the program to the opportunity to feel real Arabic culture, to live with lovely host-family and know more about Palestine just the way it really is.

Shadi

My Experience

Go Palestine

My name is Shadi Abdelaziz. I am a 20 years old boy from Palestine and Italy, currently studying Internationally Relation in my second year of university in Birmingham, in the United Kingdom.

Although I have been to Palestine every summer to visit my relatives in Nablus, I have never been in Hebron. Hebron is a beautiful city full of humble and friendly people. In fact, during my first couple of days in Hebron, I made several friends and they were kind enough to show me a tour of old city as well as the best restaurants to buy Falafel and Shawerma. I had to wait to try them, though, because I was lucky enough to arrive in the middle of the month of Ramadan, the Islamic month dedicated to sacrifice and fasting. It has been amazing how people took care of us volunteers, always inviting us for iftar, the meal that breaks the fast, and allows us to live the real culture, atmosphere, and warmth of the Ramadan evenings.

During my three week volunteering period, I have been teaching children in the Go Palestine Center as well as going several times with other volunteers in the same program to teach refugee kids at Fawaar Refugee Camp. Apart from teaching, I was given three hours of Arabic lesson every week and given the opportunity to tour the Old City, Ibrahimi Mosque and Al Shouhada Street.

As half Palestinian, being in Palestine is already a blessing. As I am currently studying in UK, I have completely forgotten how welcoming and how friendly the Palestinian Culture really is. I was amazed and proud at the way the Palestinians love foreigners and this is shown by the amount of greetings and little and big gestures of kindness my fellow volunteers and I have been getting every day.

I heard dozens of stories of how unsafe Hebron was, but upon living here for 3 weeks, I can say that it is bit exaggerated. Everyone I have met or confronted have been extremely friendly to us. Sheikh Hijazi who has been taking care of us at our accommodation, has been nothing but welcoming. During Ramadan, he even invited us for iftar at his house several times.

I would definitely recommend the Go Palestine Center in Palestine to anyone who would love to contribute and help Palestinian children with building up a bit of their future teaching them English. It is also a great opportunity, for whom decides to come, to get to know several unique cities such as Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, etc. and to get to know a wonderful, strong and kind people.