Volunteer Abroad in Cusco, Peru - 12 Different Programs

Volunteer Abroad in Cusco, Peru - 12 Different Programs

Volunteer Abroad in Cusco (Cuzco) Peru: Cusco (Cuzco) is considered the archaeological capital of the Americas, and has been declared by UNESCO as a cultural Heritage of Humanity. Cusco (Cuzco) maintains its Old World charm with beautiful plazas, cobbled streets and colonial style buildings lining the city. With its close proximity to Machu Picchu and other archaeological wonders, Cusco (Cuzco) has a wealth of treasures to offer a globally-minded traveler.

In spite of receiving thousands of tourists every year, Cusco (Cuzco) also has one of the highest levels of poverty in the country. This is evident by the presence of hundreds of children living and working on the streets. These children lack a decent education, food and caring, with almost 30% living well below the poverty line. We offer orphanage and teaching placements throughout the city. With our volunteer program we allow you to discover the wonders of Cusco (Cuzco), while doing meaningful community work.

We offer the following programs in Cusco (Cuzco): Program Length: 1 to 12 weeks Program Date: Flexible Start & End Date Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 hour per day Accommodations: Local Homestay Meals: Yes, 3 meals a day Requirements: 17 years + , some Spanish knowledge, an able body and caring spirit. * To be successful volunteering with a local NGO you need to be able to motivate yourself. Regardless of the country and program, to get the most out of your time abroad you need to quickly get to know the placement.
South America » Peru » Cusco
South America » Peru
The fees cover: Airport pickup and drop off, local orientation, host family, meals, local coordinator, a donation to our programs, please check our website for more details.

Rosa
River Forrest IL
DePaul University

Peru Cusco Medical

I loved my Peru medical volunteer experience. It was a great way for me to go out of my comfort zone and experience a new country! Volunteering in the clinic was so rewarding and was a great way to be truly immersed in the culture! I would definitely do it again!
I loved my accommodations! They were very comfortable and the host family was amazing. The food was excellent and I always felt very safe. Everyone was extremely friendly and was always willing to help.
The support I felt in country was awesome! Beatriz was always available when I needed her and showed me how to get around. She was very helpful when things changed and was always willing to help.

madison
michigan

I did really enjoyed my time

I did really enjoyed my time volunteering in Peru, Cusco is a beautiful city with many activities. The girls and workers in the orphanage are very friendly. The most important things they need from volunteers are donations and helping hands. The donations can range from clothing to school supplies to personal hygiene items as they are teenagers. I really enjoyed communicating with the girls. I remember my first successful conversation with them in Spanish. It felt very rewarding.
I didn't expect to negotiate so much in Cusco. From taxis to local markets, there is often not a set price. For example, a taxi driver may say the taxi ride costs 6 soles, but you can and should argue for a fairer price when the drivers try to overcharge, ask your host family what are the typical fares.
It was shocking to see how quickly the weather conditions can change. It can be warm and sunny one moment and then cold and rainy the next go out with layers, sunscreen and sunglasses.
I really enjoyed traveling on the weekends and would highly recommend this. Travel was surprisingly inexpensive. Visit the Rainbow Mountains, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. Once in a time life experience. Hopefully more!

amal
Saint Hubert, Canada
Université du Québec à Montréal

Peru Cusco

So many emotions in me while thinking back of my days in Cusco Peru. I would like to think that I did make a difference. I hope to have contributed and consolidated through my work with this Non Profit.
Culture is an antidote to violence, because it invites us to the prayer of others and fosters tolerance, by encouraging us to meet other imaginaries and other cultures. Through my experiences in Cusco, I gained in maturity. I came to be more open-minded and flexible. I learned to understand through hugs. Volunteering there was an opportunity to share with others. I made a lot of friends and filled my heart with a lot of unconditional love. We are not only a citizen of our country, but also a citizen of the world. Thus, we can be useful in any society. We are here not only for ourselves, but for others.
I brought clothes for kids and the second time we did a special breakfast for the patients in the cancer hospital, there were Kekes (soft orange cakes) left over. So, Maria Elena and I went down the street in the night distributing pieces of cakes and clothes for poor kids. We looked out for people in need and offered these. Happiness and gratefulness could be read on their face.
The US office was so fantastic. I don’t know how they can be so present. Indeed, all the time I had a question or a doubt, I was answered very quickly. I mostly used emails with Sarah and Lynn, and chat online with Lori. What is so nice is that you have the chat mode, where you can talk, modify and ask questions. For me, Lori was a precious help anytime I had a question. In less than 24 hours (sometimes minutes!!) I got my answers (all of them!). They are efficient, helpful, reliable and so kind.

Graziella
San Diego
San Diego State University

Cusco Peru

I really really loved my time in Cusco. The people I met through traveling, and other volunteers were absolutely amazing. I always had something to do in town and the time flew by. Volunteering in Peru has taught me so much about different cultures, mentality, values, and way of life.
My program in the clinic was exactly what I wanted to do. The nurses I worked with were so kind and encouraging of me, which really motivated me to go work there everyday.
I absolutely fell in love with Peru and Cusco. I feel as though I really took advantage of my month in Cusco to explore the city and get integrated, and yet I still feel like I there was so much more I didn’t see. Cusco is incredibly beautiful and cultured with many quaint side streets, historical sights, and activities. You won’t be bored!

Mark
Toledo

Girls Orphanage Peru Cusco

I really enjoyed working with the girls from the orphanage. I worked in both the kitchen and the ceramic classes and it was fun to chat with the girls and I think they also had fun asking me about the United States.
The accommodation was very nice. The local coordinator has a comfortable house. She has a large tv in her family room with lots of movies if you want to watch and relax. The meals were very good, I loved the soups that were served every lunch. I never felt concerned about my safety, even at night. Lunch will be your biggest meal and breakfast and dinner will consist of bread and jam or bread and meat. There was always boiled or bottled water to drink so I didn't have to work about the water quality. Maria Elena is a great host and really wants you to feel comfortable and at home. She is flexible and if you won't be there for a meal it's not a problem.
I also was in Peru over Thanksgiving and Maria Elena surprised me with a Thanksgiving meal, that was so nice of her.

Abby
Rockland

I had an amazing time in Cusco

Overall I had an amazing time in Cusco, Peru! The people are so nice and welcoming, the weather is gorgeous, the city and mountains are like nothing I’ve ever seen, and the food was great (definitely try ceviche at least once, it’s amazing)! You certainly have to be able to roll with the punches, and if you’re more Type A, you definitely need to turn that switch off! The work was great at the clinic, but you have to be very assertive and have some Spanish skills. The patients are incredibly thankful and tough as nails, and it is so rewarding to just do simple things like give vaccines or hold a hand. Working at the girls orphanage was fantastic as well! The girls are so excited to meet someone new. The majority of the time I helped with homework (math, grammar, English), and when their homework was done we played volley ball! I think what they needed most was just hugs and affection. It´s been an incredible, eye opening experience, I hope someday I’ll be able to visit Peru again!!

Lauren
conneticut

once-in-a-lifetime

I had once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be in Cuzco Peru for a month, working at the orphanage and being there for a month you get very connected to the girls and get very connected to the city because of how different it is. You realize how beautiful the simpler things in life are, the local ABV coordinator made everything really easy for me to acclimate into Peru. I know Spanish from high school, but being down there for a month and immersing myself in the culture was really great for my Spanish. You pick up quickly on the language and for myself learning in a classroom isn't the same.

The US abroaderview staff did helped me a lot, any questions I had they would answer me within 24 hours. My mom called and they answered any and all of her questions! I had a few precautions before I actually signed with abroaderview but after talking to them and talking to other ABV volunteers who have gone I realize that this was the right choice for me.

Jordan
st. louis

Wonderful Peru Cusco

I have met so many amazing people on this journey from other volunteers to the girls at the orphanage. I have built the strongest connections in so little time and fallen in love with Cusco. The girls at the orphanage are some of the sweetest girls I have ever met and I wish I could stay here with them so much longer. I would not trade this trip for anything in the world.
My favorite memory was just sitting and talking with the girls at the orphanage. I don’t speak much Spanish and they don’t speak much English but somehow it was a perfect fit. I learned so much from them and truly felt a companionship with these amazing girls.
The best memory of the country was Machu Picchu. On the weekend I had the opportunity to do an excursion to Machu Picchu and it was phenomenal. I not only met so many great people, but got to experience some of the best views Peru has to offer.

Matthew
Alabama
United States Air Force Academy

Refreshing Peru experience

I chose ABV to volunteer in Peru Cusco because I felt like the other volunteer organizations' program fees were far too high considering the circumstances. While money wasn't necessarily a consideration for me, I was not going to give my money to a for profit organization I felt was capitalizing greatly off the generosity of volunteers. ABV did not disappoint. I truly enjoyed the experience.
The kindergarten I was volunteering at surprised me by dressing me up in traditional Peruvian celebratory garb and parading me through the streets of Cusco. It truly took me out of my comfort zone, but ended up being an extremely positive experience.
The Peruvian people are far more "proud" than I expected them to be. The culture, their history, their food, their education, family, etc. Everything is a "big deal" in Peru, and seemingly worth celebrating. It was extremely refreshing.

Mary
Randolph

Health Care Peru Cusco

I had a wonderful experience from the beginning to the end with ABV in Cusco, Peru, as well as with support in the United States. I am very grateful for my experience here and wouldn’t change one thing about it. My host house truly felt like home. Everyone was kind and willing to help me in my host family and at the clinic.
The advice I received from the director was invaluable and helped me adjust to life in Cusco. While here I enjoyed going on weekend trips with other volunteers to the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Lake Titicaca. In addition, we enjoyed taking free salsa dancing lessons arranged by the ABV coordinator and exploring Cusco.
The house I stayed in was nice. I had a room to myself and there was a shower with warm water. The meals were delicious. Peruvian food is much different than American food, but I was always able to find something that I liked.
While in Cusco and the surrounding areas I was continually surprised by how friendly everyone was, even just the people I sat next to on the bus. In the clinic everyone was very nice. They always took the time to say hi to me and ask me how I was doing.
One of the things I was nervous about was my safety in the country. After arriving my director gave me some tips to stay safe and after getting used to being in Cusco for a few days I felt just as safe here as I do in the United States. Overall I felt like everything was really well organized.

Micaela
Houston, TX
Rice University

Magical Peru Cusco

I LOVED my experience in Peru! It was really the people in Peru, including my host family and fellow volunteers, that made my experience. We all get along so well its magical! I have had an amazing time exploring Cusco with them and learning about the public services in the city. If I could I would do it all over again and I would do it with ABV. ABVs design allowed me to personalize my experience so that I could go where and when I wanted to go and I could volunteer in a place that was perfect for me. ABV and Peru were truly magical!

William
Whichita
Wichita State University

Xmas 4 Peru Cusco Orphanages

5*****
At first it was a bit of a shock to work with the children with special needs. They have such an unfortunate range of disabilities, and this kindergarten/pre-school is very understaffed. Many of them were also orphans. It was however really rewarding to see how much joy they still found in their everyday life, regardless of their circumstances.
My experience was great and working at the two placements I did got the opportunity to really help out with these children. I’m glad I went for as long a period as I did, as it takes time to get to know the children enough to really help them (especially the autistic and mentally challenged kids).
The coordinator was great, and helped me out with whatever I needed. She was really supportive and worked hard with me to help in my efforts to buy Christmas presents (clothes, blankets, toys) to over 400 orphans and disadvantaged children. I appreciate that a lot.

KyleBaker
Louisiana
University of New Orleans

Volunteering in the Amazon National Park

I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was to be without internet access at the national park in Peru. I had such an amazing time getting back into my body's natural rhythm, waking up at 6am with the sun and going to bed around 8pm! :)
You need to bring ALL biodegradable substances: shampoo, toothpaste, and bug spray. However, you can also support the program by buying their products once you arrive. They sell all three of these products there for 40 soles.
I had a truly eye opening 2 weeks and I have A Broader View to thanks. I learned so much from being in the jungle, and it really changed the way I think about the World. I hope I can use this experience to help better my own country!

Janifer
Virginia

Best trip with my daughter

From the moment we arrived in Cusco, and we met our coordinator Beatriz at the airport, we received ongoing, wonderful support. Beatriz shared her wealth of knowledge about the history and culture of Cusco with us whenever the opportunity arose. She helped us to settle in (banking, telephone services, where to find a laundromat, and the list goes on) Throughout our time in Cusco, we had regular contact with her. She invited the two of us and other volunteers to her home to experience a wonderful Peruvian meal. Beatriz was diligent about asking how things were going at the volunteer sites, at the host family's home, if we felt well, etc. she helped us to shop for donations for different organizations.
I truly enjoyed my time in Cusco. I volunteered at two sites and found the children to be open and loving. The whole experience was very rewarding and I would recommend volunteering abroad as something everyone should consider.

barbaras
chicago, IL

I Love Peru

The support provided in country was very impressive. If I had any questions at all they would be answered within the day. The local ABV coordinator (Beatriz) was amazing. She went above and beyond by showing me everything I needed in cusco and was also extremely helpful with any questions or concerns.
I was surprised and impressed by the simple laid back lifestyle in cusco. It was refreshing to and interesting to learn and experience day to day life here.
If working in the orphanage the girls cannot receive makeup or nail polish. Simpler items such as hair clips, bracelets, etc. are accepted. Layers are a necessity with the changing weather in cusco as well as cough drops due to the air and altitude!
My accommodation was amazing. I lived with two sisters, Cecilia and Eva, both in their fifties and their parents who are in their nineties. It was great to learn from the different generations. My host family prepared amazing food and were always so considerate to the fact I am a vegetarian. They also provided many blankets because it is so cold at night, they are truly caring people.

PearlZ
Seattle
University of Washington- Seattle

Orphanage in Peru Cusco

I definitely had a rewarding experience and am glad that I had the opportunity to come to Cusco. I'm in love with the city and the overall atmosphere and have made some amazing memories. It was hard adjusting the first week (as it is with all new experiences) but once I got comfortable and settled in the city started to feel like a new home. I truly hope I remember all that I've learned here for the rest of my life.
If you choose to go to the girl’s orphanage, spend meaningful time with orphan girls’ ages (11-17) that need and will greatly appreciate the love and warmth you will bring to them. Help the girls overcome their homework difficulties with patience and kindness. On Thursdays you will play sports with them and be part of other various activities. Overall your presence and talks with the girls will help inspire hope within them and make them feel loved. Don`t expect to make drastic changes right away but know that you are making a difference as small as it may be. In order to make the most of your time it is extremely important to brush up on your Spanish as most of the girls cannot speak a word of English. Doing so you will have a much more rewarding and fulfilling experience.

Beckie
Kent, WA

My experience as a Pre Nurse in Peru Cusco

When I first left for Cusco, I was honestly really nervous. I was traveling alone to a new city, country, and continent. However, when I arrived, my worries went away because I felt safe, welcomed, and at peace with my coordinator, host family. My coordinator here in cusco took me on a tour of the city and showed me where I was going to work for the next couple of weeks. During the morning, I worked in the Unidad de Quemados at the hospital, and during the afternoon I worked in emergency at the Clinic. Working in the hospital was amazing because I was getting hands-on experience treating and working with burned patients. I saw many different kinds of burns with varying intensities, and I think that seeing these harsh realities will help me in my future career as a nurse. In the clinic, I was not able to do much. I mostly spent my time following the nurses and observing them as they gave medications to patients, because Im a prenurse I was not allowed to have so much hands-on in the Clinic. Overall, I had an amazing experience traveling and working here in Cusco.
My host family was spectacular. They gave me everything I needed and more. I had three delicious meals per day, a large room with a comfy bed, and the freedom to do what I wanted. The family was very friendly and welcoming, and theymade me feel safe and calm. The house was a short bus ride away from the hospital and clinic that I worked in, and it was veru easy to find my way around.

RobertKB
Costa Rica

Peru Cusco an unforgettable experience

Beatriz was ready and waiting for us at the airport when we arrived and immediately made us feel welcome. She made sure we were comfortable with our host family then a couple of hours later took us on a tour of the area to make sure we new where all out basic needs could be met. Beatriz got my work at the school off to a great start by explaining that I had repair and construction skills I wanted to put to use. She helped the Directora and me come up with a plan to build toys for the children. Anytime I had a question or problem, and there weren’t many, Beatriz was available to help. The amount of energy that 50 or 60 three, four and five year olds can unleash during recess! It was amazing to watch these children running, screaming, roaring, climbing and generally just having fun. Even though all of these children are from seriously troubled family settings most of the children don’t yet seem to know they are disadvantaged. I hope no one ever tells them that they are. It was difficult to tear myself from the grasp of 5 or 6 children that want to continue playing with you. If you swing one child into the air then of course all their friends want to swing into the air, including the first child who now considers you to be their personal playmate. There was a hunger for attention. But probably the most difficult aspect was seeing very young children, with so much enthusiasm, intelligence and potential, facing the challenges that come with poverty, broken homes and limited resources. I can’t say enough good things about the school staff that works so hard to help shape, encourage and care for these children. Read the materials that ABV provides. I thought the “ABV Pre-Trip Guide for Peru” really covered everything I personally needed to know. Once you are on site let the person who is directly in charge of the program to which you are assigned know if you have any talents beyond those that qualified you for the official position. It just might be that the program has needs or desires that your additional talents can help fill. Look for opportunities, be creative and work to provide what the people in charge of the program want. I had a wonderful time working at a school for disadvantaged children. Not knowing exactly what I would be doing until I walked into the school on the first day of my assignment was pretty exciting. My ABV coordinator worked with the director of the school to identify tasks that could take advantage of my personal skills. I really hit the jackpot in getting to build toys for the kids from salvaged lumber, basic hand tools and a limited amount of purchased supplies. Our home stay host family was very welcoming and made us feel truly at home from the first minute we walked into their house. Our meals were of course typical of the foods routinely eaten by our host family with lots of carbohydrates and a modest amount of vegetables. Our room and bathroom were fairly typical for Latin America where room sizes are generally smaller and hot water is often only available in the shower. I felt very secure in our home and in the neighborhood. We walked or took public transportation all around the city of Cusco without any problems or fears.

MichelleUK
Scotter

Peru Amazon's Environmental Program

From the minute I began to plan this work with my first emails to ABV to my time at the Reserve, I will say that the whole experience was very enjoyable and exciting. I have spoken to those at home about my experience at the Reserve and with ABV and I hope I have generated the interest of others here at home to do what I did. I would love to do this work again. Thanks

There were tasks on the Reserve such as cutting bamboo. Perhaps a mention of those tasks on the program summary may have been helpful.

Kendall
Hampshire

Peru Cusco

My experience working with ABV staff in the USA was very positive. They were very thorough and professional in answering questions and timely in their responses. I sent many emails on the weekends and received a response from the emails the same day. There was no question too ridiculous. I had questions answered ranging from the needed documentation to the specific types of disabilities I would encounter at the job site. There were so many “favorite” memories; it is hard to narrow it down to just one. However, working with the students on a daily basis was by far the best part of the trip. I am a special education teacher by trade. Being able to work with special needs students in another part of the world and seeing that their needs are the same as the needs of the students where I work was humbling. The reality is that kids are kids regardless of the continent or language. Be flexible and willing to become a part of the culture. Embrace what’s happening around you. Get out and see the sights (Machu Picchu, Saqsaywaman, Sacred Valley, etc…). Eat the food, not on the streets but in the restaurants and at your home. Bring sunscreen with a high SPF and wear it every day regardless. The sun is very close in Cusco. If you bring donations, make sure to know which age group the donations are for and give them directly to the teacher. June, July, and August are winter in Cusco. It’s around 65-73 degrees during the day and 40-50′s in the evenings. There is not central heating in the houses so bring a jacket. Being in ABV in Cusco, Peru was an amazing experience. Being fully submerged into another culture while volunteering in a classroom with special needs students was something I will never forget. It was humbling for me, as an American who basically has everything at her fingertips, to see how another culture survives with so little and they are so happy. The kids are amazing! Their disabilities limit them so much but they continuously press on and continue on their journey. They laugh loudly. They have next to nothing but live like they have everything. I am hoping to adopt some of their perspectives on life. This experience has made me more grateful for what I have, and I would do it again in a heart beat.

I wish I had brought cold medication. I wasn’t prepared for the fact that most of the students I would be dealing had colds. I ended getting a pretty good one. The pharmacies carry antibiotics but not just cold medication.

Kendalle
Chico, California

Great Experience!

Volunteering with Abroader View was an amazing experience! I loved interacting with special needs kids in a different country. On a day to day basis, I would walk to my work site, transport kids from the clinic to the school, work on fine and gross motor skills (putting together puzzles, reading stories, playing with toys, listening to music), and complete the tasks requested of the teacher. I found that interacting with the students and helping them with their projects assigned by the teacher was by far the best part of my experience.
It was amazing being able to see progress in the few short weeks I was there. At the base level though, seeing how these students with life-altering disabilities were able to function and find joy and hope was life changing for me. It brought me hope seeing their hope. It brought me joy seeing their joy. There were also difficulties at times only because of the communication issue for me. I speak very limited Spanish. It was difficult to know how to help at times because I wasn't sure what the need was. Also, outside of the work site, the communication issue arose. On occasion, a taxi driver would take me to the wrong place because I had not given instruction in Spanish well enough. It always turned ok but was humorous often.
Other highlights of the trip were interacting with other volunteers and the ABV host family and staff. They were very pleasant to be around and also extremely helpful. I knew that if I needed anything, I could talk to the Cusco coordinator or the host family and they would do the best they could meet my needs.
It was an extremely positive experience, and I would do it again in a heart beat.

I would have liked to work with the students more. I was in the Spanish immersion program. I had Spanish lessons for 4 hours a day one-on-one with a Professor who only spoke Spanish. He knew as much English as I knew Spanish. It was difficult. 4 hours is a lot, and once the content got more challenging and I needed more instruction in English, things fell apart. I was frustrated and I think he was too.
However, he was very personable and professional. The staff at the school were very kind.

Piero
Montreal, Canada
Concordia University

Great Experience Volunteering in Cusco

My first experience doing volunteer work has been extremely positive, fun and rewarding.

I worked at the 'Children's Center' in Cusco. This is a a care center for impoverished children, and provides a safe haven, education and food to over 100 kids! My activities included tutoring, teaching English, helping with assignments, pre-school type activities, playing with and supervising the kids during recess and generally just being run ragged by the active kids!! Many of these children craved attention, a hug, a lap to sit on, and a happy face to spend time with them. The kids were adorable and it was very fulfilling to give them the attention, care and affection they need and deserve.

I am very pleased and feel fortunate that I chose 'A Broader View' as my volunteer organisation. It has been a pleasure and delight working with this organisation during every step of the way:

- During the inquiry and planning phases of my trip all questions were answered very promptly (always within 24 hours). The 'A Broader View' volunteer programs, planning process and registration are very structured and professional.
- The 'A Broader View' staff are very knowledgeable and competent and can provide a wealth of information in order to help plan your volunteer trip.
- The local coordinator in Cusco is a warm, caring and extremely helpful person. She was very generous with her time and help in integrating me at the local site where I was volunteering. She gave me a full orientation tour of the city in order to help me get settled in. On my firt day at work, she accompanied me to the work site, showed how to get there by public transit and introduced me to the local staff that I would be working with.
- My host family was great. They were extremely welcoming and made me feel as if I were in my own home during my stay in Cusco. My accomodation (private room) was clean and comfortable. The Peruvian home-cooked meals (2 meals a day + breakfast) were delicious.

I would definitely recommend 'A Broader View' to anyone planning to volunteer abroad. A Broader View is very caring, committed and professional organisation which will accompany you every step of the way so that you will have a safe, enjoyable and fulfilling volunteer experience.

If planning a volunteer trip to Cusco, you should be aware that the city of Cusco is at a high elevation (3300 meters). You will likely be affected by altitude sickness during your first 1-2 days in Cusco (at least I was!). However, the symptoms are generally not so terrible and will wear off! The best advice is to plan to rest for the first day or two upon arriving in Cusco. Also, drink plenty of 'mate de coca' (a herbal infusion) which will help to alleviate the symptoms.

Depending on the nature of the volunteer program you choose, knowledge of Spanish (at least at a conversational level) may be essential. Plan accordingly and give yourself time to learn some Spanish before going to Peru.

Alex
Connecticut

Amazing Time + Value

I spent three weeks in Cuzco with A Broader View from late June to mid July. I wish I had stayed longer, because it truly was an incredibly fun and rewarding experience. I taught English in a school a block away from my host family's home and every day felt extremely satisfied by the warm gratitude of both the kids and the teachers. In the evening, whether I stayed in with my host family or went out with the four other volunteers that I met to the Cuzco downtown (in which I actually felt remarkably safe- several times we walked the few miles from our houses to the discos), I always had a great time. I did a lot of research before going to Peru with A Broader View, and I can honestly say there is no experience that even comes close to the value of A Broader View in terms of cost and experience.

I would make sure that the host parents were encouraged to speak in the local language unless otherwise requested. Often my host parents wanted to speak English with me, and I for the most part wanted total Spanish immersion.

ciarie15
Massachusetts
Worcester State University

Cusco, Peru

A broader View Volunteers was absolutely amazing. They were great to work with and were so helpful with any questions I had while I was getting ready to make the leap to foreign country and while I was there and when I returned. The experience has carried with me throughout my life as a returned. My host family was an absolute dream and they became my home away from home. I would definitely recommend them for any volunteer experience.

Andrew
Philadelphia

A Broader View - Cusco - Peru

The experience was as expected and designed by the ABV staff. I spent 2 weeks in the cultural immersion program. My daily activities included breakfast, volunteer work at a local orphanage in the morning, lunch back at my host family's house, spanish language class in the afternoon, dinner back at the house, free time in the evenings. My Cusco host family was very helpful in arranging various side trips for me. I made friendships that continue now that I am back in the USA. I was able to visit MachuPicchu and lake Titicaca and other places too. I really encountered no difficulties and fealt very well prepared due the the thoroughness of the ABV staff in the USA and in Cusco. I recommend this program for anyone considering a Peruvian mountain and spanish culture experience.

I really can't think of anything that is truly changeable to recommend. I fealt well prepared and yet was challanged and rewarded with all the new and exciting experiences of a different and wonderful culture.

megan
Bixby

Volunteering Clinic and Orphanage

I have so many great memories, I don’t think I can choose just one. My favorite memory related to my actual volunteer work is playing soccer, throwing the Frisbee, and playing games in the courtyard with the kids at the Clinic. Also, I prepared little Christmas stockings full of gifts for each child and passed them out on my last day at the clinic. They were so excited, happy, and grateful and showered me in hugs. It was absolutely wonderful. My other favorite memory was cooking Thanksgiving dinner with the girls in the house for our house mom and celebrating the holiday with them. It was really nice that we were able to share something from our American culture with our house mom.

I had so much freedom at the Clinic in regards to choosing what I wanted to do and in what capacity I wanted to help. I was able to do exactly what I wanted and work directly with the children and didn’t have to do any “busy work.” I was also surprised that I felt so safe in the city. I never once felt uncomfortable or scared while I was out and about during the day and night.

The language barrier at the workplace. It was challenging working with teenage girls while trying to learn the language. It was intimidating, but it’s better to try and mess up than not communicating at all. As long as you have a good, positive attitude and continue to put effort forth they will be responsive to you. Perseverance is key.

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all your