This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Khaya Volunteer.
Volunteer in South Africa: Cheetah Rehabilitation -- CLOSED

Volunteer in South Africa: Cheetah Rehabilitation -- CLOSED

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Khaya Volunteer.

A conservation and rehabilitation reserve is an enormous reserve that has one main goal: to help nature restore itself and transform back to its original state. This is a very lengthy process and after decades of excessive maltreatment by farmers. it can take many years for flora and fauna to re-establish itself.

Founders of this amazing project have worked together at several different parks, including the Kruger National Park and Amakhala Private Game Reserve. Their main objective is to rehabilitate and conserve bordering farms (which they have attained over the last couple of years).

They both possess an immense passion for the big cats e.g. Cheetahs, Caracal, Lynxes and Leopards, and have been safeguarding their existence these last years. Currently they have 4 kittens (born October 2010), three domesticated and four wild Cheetahs in their care, which requires daily training to, once again, become independent and skilled hunters and eventually return to the wild.
Africa » South Africa
Steytlerville

Rob
Washington, DC USA

Remarkable experience

It's hard to explain the feeling of hunting with cheetahs and hand feeding cubs. While there is not a lot of variety to your days and you must be prepared for a physically demanding experience (walking 5-15 miles per day), the intimate experience with these beautiful, loving, powerful animals is simply amazing. Yuko who works with volunteers is wonderfully supportive and ready to answer all of your questions. The reserve is beautiful and there is a wide variety of animals beyond the cheetahs.

Pim
Woudenberg, the Netherlands

Pim meets da Cheetah

It has been an amazing three weeks during my stay at Modgaji.
At first the landscape, it is mindblowing, just bush as far as your eyes can see with 'springbokvlak' as my personal favourite.
The variety of game that's walking around and the close encounters you sometimes have with them.
And also the hyena's, caracals and servals have been big fun to work with.
But above all; the cheetah walks, they were without a doubt the top of the bill!
How much closer to nature do you want to get?
If I had the chance to go back tommorow I would have left yesterday!

Organisation wise some things could have been better arranged, on the other hand a bit 'ad hoc' policy improves your flexibility.

Greg
France
École de Technologie Supérieure

A great conservation project experience

I went there one month ago, in june 2014, with 3 friends, and we can say that it was an amazing experience. The game reserve offers so much and we were delighted to participate in such an amazing program ! We are 4 vet students from France and we really wanted to be a part of a conservation program, especially when it's about big cats like cheetahs !
The contact with animals, the walks with the wild cats, the work in the reserve, all of this was part of the deal and we really loved it ! But there is sometimes a certain frustration : the fact that the cottage is away from the main house makes you feel that you're not really a part of the team, but more like a guest which we pick him up when we go take care of the animals. And we were quite often asking for work as we wanted to move things and be a part of all the improvment the team planed to do.
However let's remind all the good memories, and i write this post to recommend this amazing experience, cause i believe that Modgaji will become a greater and successfuller game reserve in the future !
Let's protect the cats !

make the volunteers participate more

Irene
North Fremantle, Western Australia

Immersion in a sublime landscape

Assisting in the rehabilitation of Cheetahs and helping with everyday work on the property was totally rewarding. The semi-desertic Karoo was a delight after the opening of the skies. A blessing with so many wildflowers, such as the spectacular Aloe Vera. This area is very isolated, which is also a blessing as there are no tourists around. Walking the Cheetahs going about to their prey was an absolute privilege. The landscape is rugged and fascinating. You have to let the noble cats approach you and stick to their rule. They are not house cats. One of the most precious aspect of the whole experience was the unique contact with the local tribe who worked with us side by side, and the joy of having a meal in an authentic African restaurant (I don't remember her name, but the lady is famous and is a delight not to miss !). The little town of Steytlerville offered a very friendly and safe atmosphere. A bonus, again, no tourists. I can't wait to renew the experience !

Warning. Passed the month of April, the nights are very cold and early mornings starts too. So pack some warm clothes, as the bedrooms are basic.
The program could offer more information on the local flora and fauna.

Marc
Utrecht, Netherlands

Cheetah Rehabillitation

I had to do an internship for school and chose to do this programme. i had a great time and it was a great experience, honestly... better than i expected! Friendly people, and friendly co-volunteers. Would expect some more aspects on the rehabillitation part on the reserve, we didn't see much of the purpose, although we've heard stories of cheetahs being sold to other reserves and being released there. i really liked it, and i would maybe go back some time after i'm done with school.

Better sanitairies, more aspects on rehabillitation of the animals.

Nadia
Th netherlands

experience of a lifetime

Waking up early in the morning, ready for a cheetahwalk. As soon as you walk out of your cottage nature hits you, the sun is rising, a cheetah by your side. Both overlooking the view. It is incredible.

To not have the chief on the farm.

Eline
Schipluiden, Holland

Nature at it's best

If you love rough nature and big cats, Modgaji Cheetah Rehabilitation Project is the project you would want to go to.
The volunteer houses are basic, but the beds are good, so really, what else do you need? The surroundings are rough and beautiful, the cheetah, carachal, serval and hyena are amazing to take care of.
The owner and staff are dedicated to their animals and the breeding program of cheetah is very important, for there are so few of these wonderful animals left...
Walking with the cheetah is an experience you will never forget. It's nature at it's best.
I loved every minute of being at Modgaji and if I can get another opportunity to go back, I will.

Not having to walk to the toilets in the middle of the night.

Michelle
Holland

Amazing

We did a lot of things and it was amazing. We had the time of our lives. Hopefully we can come back within some years. Especially the cheetah walks were fantastic!

The beds.

Cheetah
Netherlands

Cheetah's and Hyena's

It was a very great experience on the Modgaij Cheetah Rehabilitation Project. You can do so much overhere.
The most great experience was the hunting day with te Cheetahs.

It is a big trip to go to a big city, thats a pitty.

wildlensimages
San Jose

Modgaji Cheetah conservation project

My son and I love to include volunteer work in our travels and vacations. We have selected destinations and programs that are working to make the world a better place for us and our spectacular wildlife and wild places. So I typed "where to volunteer with cheetahs" into my browser and found Khaya Volunteers and the cheetah rehabilitation project. We volunteered for a week, added a trip to Addo Elephant Park and flew to Kruger for 6 days of roaming on our own amidst nature at it's finest. Igna at Khaya Volunteers worked with us to place us on the cheetah project. She responded quickly and patiently to a barrage of questions from a very excited nature lover! I had no idea we would actually be taking the cheetahs out to hunt three of the mornings we were at Modgaji. What marvelous animals up close and personal!! The reserve also has spotted hyenas, African wildcats and servils. You are out in the wilds of the Karoo section of South Africa. What an exhilarating experience to share with my son. We have fond memories and speak of our week with the cheetahs often. I will be researching another volunteer adventure with Khaya soon, they are flexible and extremely reasonably priced! To Igna and Martin I say "keep up the good fight"
Ellen

Cynthia
Netherlands

onvergetelijk!

Het was echt een fantastische ervaring. Ik heb hier in november/december gezeten en zou als het kon morgen weer terug gaan.
Je houd je onder andere bezig met het verzorgen van de katten; dat wil zeggen voer klaarmaken en geven en met ze spelen, onderhouden van de wegen, verblijven schoonmaken en repareren.
Een paar keer per week ga je jagen met de cheetah's wat echt geweldig is om mee te maken van zo dichtbij.
Wil je een onvergetelijke ervaring, ga hier dan heen!

Anja
Oslo, Norway

Fantastic!

I only had one week at Modgaji, but what a fantastic week it was! I got to go on two cheetah walks, get my hands "dirty" when cutting up meat, feed all the animals, sit with the cheetahs, cuddle the servals and wild cats as well as fall in love with Bacon the warthog and the two meerkats on the farm! They also took me on game drives where I saw black eagles, kori bustards, blue cranes and more. We also went for a swim in the river near by! On my last day I was lucky enough to witness the pregnant serval giving birth! Beautiful animals and beautiful people! When can I come back...?!

Khaya offers unique and affordable volunteer projects in South Africa, Malawi and Tanzania working directly with local partners and projects. Khaya is proud to have a clear focus on ethical and responsible volunteering and works closely with the projects they run or set up themselves.