Fynbos Estate Organic Farm

Fynbos Estate, just an hour away from exciting Cape Town, is a piece of paradise nestled in the Paardeberg Mountains. With vineyards, olive groves, a guest house, wedding and workshop space, and a nature reserve, volunteers on the farm can enjoy a wide range of work ranging from wine making, gardening, cooking, service and various tasks related to the overall running of the farm.

We always do our best to match individuals' skills and interests with the work you are given as far as possible. As a volunteer on Fynbos Estate, you will become part of a close-knit team, and you will have the opportunity to meet interesting people from all walks of life.

Food is provided (we usually share one meal together each day), and we will make sure you have enough time off to explore the surrounding area (for those with a valid driver's license, we will provide use of a vehicle).

This is a place to call 'home away from home' on your adventure.

• Working farm with large nature reserve, vineyards, olive grove, restaurant, rescue animal petting area, vegetable garden, wedding venue and guest house
  • Just an hour from Cape Town
  • Organic wine making
  • Wide range of work for volunteers
  • Food and accommodation provided

Gosia

You won't be sorry!

I have been to Fynbos three times. It's a wonderful place and I highly recommend going there. The hosts Johan & Diana are the best people, and the area is beautiful as well as the farm itself. I helped with garden work, wine making, cooking and hosting events. There are all sorts of things to work with and learn about, depending on what you're interested in and what time of the year you're there. My favorite part was cooking with Johan, he is really funny and a bit of a genious that can cook anything and make it taste great. In my spare time I went hiking in the surrounding mountains. You can see all the way to Table Mountain from the top. Good place to chill out and do some thinking.
There are always interesting people visiting and the energy of the farm as well as the incredible hospitality of Johan & Diana makes this a very special place. It's definitely one of my favorite places I have travelled to, and as always, I can't wait to come back.

Andy

Fynbos

My girlfriend (now wife), Becky and I spent the best part of a year at Fynbos Estate. And it proved to be one o the best years of lives.

It was easy to immediately fall in love with with the surrounding mountains and stunning micro-climate. But the people and soul of the farm are what makes it special and makes it unique.

Johan & Diana were incredibly generous. Their time, stories and knowledge will stay with us for ever. The winemaking was the real draw for us, but as time went on we played various roles. Some successfully, some not so (trying to encourage a new donkey into a pen springs to mind).

Like with most tings in life, the more you put in, the more you get out. Fynbos, Johan & Diana are all very special to us still, nearly ten years after we first step foot on the Estate.

Andy & Becky Kershaw

Lisanne

A place to call home

I spent one month on Fynbos Estate and had an incredible time. I felt so at home and welcomed from the minute I arrived. If you love being surrounded by nature, animals, good food and wine then this is the place for you. There is a great variation of tasks to help with. I bottled wine, limoncello and vinegar, helped with hospitality and cooking, did some gardening and tidying and many other little things. What you do will depend on what time of the year you arrive. Regardless, you have the opportunity to learn a lot, not just about the farm and its produce but also its people and the country of South Africa. As a hospitality farm, different groups of people from all walks of life will come and use the space. My month on the farm is an experience I will not easily forget thanks to owners Johan and Diana.

Geraldine

Wonderful experience

Our volunteer time on Fynbos Estate was wonderful. The farm is a magical place, naturewise as atmospherewise. And Diana and Johan are wonderful characters. We had to oppurtunity to learn and practice so many different things. Hosting and cooking for guests, do renovations, make limoncello, work in the garden, build furnitures and many more things were tasks we took over. What we did not know before we were teached in a very nice way. We felt immediatly as part of the Fynbos family and gained friends for a life time. Our free time we spent on the farm relaxing, hiking, swimming and in the area. Johan&Diana were always open to give us tipps. We also had contact to all the other staff. We have been back several times since 2012 and will continue visiting.

About Fynbos Estate

Fynbos Estate covers 320 hectares, which is about the size of inner Cape Town. Of these 20 hectares are wine-grape vineyards and olive groves, 30 hectares are open farmland, and 270 hectares are granite mountain.

Being a working farm, visitors will...