Teaching & Youth Development in South Africa

Community volunteers in South Africa
Cape Town - Table Mountain
Cape Town - Table Mountain
All Out Africa - Volunteer Programs in South Africa

Education is one of the key needs of children and is their doorway to a bright future. In South Africa, all children have to go to school, because it is seen a basic human right, yet a large percentage of children struggle to go to or to do well at school due to the effects of unemployment, HIV AIDS, poverty and substance abuse. This project involves working with a school in the Hout Bay area of Cape Town, South Africa, which offers education and the hope of a future to many young people.
The Teaching Project aims to assist children at primary school level with support in a variety of ways including getting students to read and offering one-on-one support to children who are performing below the 20% pass rate. You also will be working in the after-school project that continues to support educational activities including reading and homework, as well as teaching life skills and activities to improve self-confidence.

• Spread hope through assisting at pre-schools to educate and support disadvantaged children
  • Experience lively culture in a South African Township
  • Live in and explore the city of Cape Town
  • Enjoy a day off in the sun on the beautiful sandy beaches
  • Hike up table mountain and learn about the history of this iconic city

Great question! Once you send a message or press Apply Now, the provider of this program will receive your message or application, and guide you to the next step. All you have to do is fill out a few details! The entire process should only take a few days and every message will appear in your personal inbox.

Typically your email and/or application will be answered within 24 hours. For most of our projects you don't need any experience, we just ask that you have a willingness to learn and enthusiasm!

Your message will be sent to the provider who runs this program! You will receive a personal email as well as a message in your Go Overseas Inbox (top right of the page, "Inbox") once the provider responds to your question. At any point, you can ask more questions by pressing View within your Go Overseas Inbox.

Wait for the provider of this program to accept you! You will receive an email to your personal inbox as well as your Inbox here on Go Overseas within 48 hours.

Giulia

The first experience that counts

My firt experience in Africa.
My first day eated gnamachoma in the slums.
My first morning I sow the best sunrise ever.
My first climbing to the Table Mountain.
My first face to face with apartheid.
My firs run into someone who never sow a coloured person before.
My first roommates from Germany.
My last memories of Xhosa language: Molo.

Sarah

---

It was wonderful to get to know the country by working with the people there, not only as a tourist. Especially the different projects (T-Bags and the Ikhaya le Themba) gave me diversity. I had only highlights, no difficulties. =)

The hostel. It was wonderful, but without a bar, billiard,... and not so much other backpackers.
Williamson

Families can volunteer too

Myself, husband and two boys aged 9 and 7 have just returned from an amazing experience in Swaziland, helping to teach orhpaned or vulnerable pre-schoolers. The All Out Africa team do amazing work with the local community, but they also ensured that we as volunteers were happy and safe at all times. The boys took part in all the activities, helping to organise games with the children, helping with lessons or reading stories. At break times they all played together and had fun. The accommodation at the lodge is comfortable and safe, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Swaziland is a great place for families at the weekend too; we really enjoyed exploring the nature and game reserves.
I can wholeheartedly recommend volunteering in Swaziland with All Out Africa, and I know that our experience will stay with us forever.

chawk17

Conservation Project in Swaziland

I really enjoyed working on field conservation research in Mlawula Nature Reserve. Here we learned about the indigenous species of plants and the impact these have on wildlife populations. Also enjoyed teaching bird conservation and information to children living in the Shuwula Village. I feel that the conservation work is only going to beneficial if we begin to educate the future generations about properly taking care of the land and the animals.

michelle2012

Rewarding Experience in a Beautiful Place

I absolutely loved my eight weeks with All Out Africa in South Africa. The program is based in Hout Bay, about 20 minutes outside of Cape Town. I did a teaching placement at the primary and intermediate school, working with all the different classes of the school in the computer classroom to work on literacy, numeracy and computer skills. I felt like my presence helped reduce large class sizes for the teachers there. School was on holiday for the first half of my time there because of the World Cup, but All Out Africa's program coordinator had put together an amazing holiday program for the children of Hout Bay. During school, I attended the staff meeting every morning and felt welcomed by all the teachers and staff. It was definitely a lot to do, but the kids are amazing and the work was rewarding. Despite my short stay, I felt like I was actually making some kind of small contribution to helping the school and the community. Hout Bay has a township, a fishing community, and a more affluent community. It is pretty safe, but you definitely have to be smart about your whereabouts and the time of day. The amenities of the volunteer house are much nicer than I was expecting, and I made amazing friendships with some of the other volunteers and local South Africans. Hout Bay is breathtakingly beautiful (as is really all of Cape Town) and you are definitely close enough to Cape Town to go in on the weekends, if you don't mind paying for transportation. It offers an opportunity to engage with the community in a rewarding way during the week and also explore and enjoy Cape Town on the weekends. South Africa has a fascinating history, and there are a lot of things to do in Cape Town.

I cannot stress how amazing the program coordinator is! And I miss Hout Bay every single day.

jackiem1122

Conservation Volunteering

I had a wonderful time volunteering in Swaziland with All Out Africa. Some of the environmental projects I helped out on were vegetation studies, rodent trapping, working with Marabou Storks, small carnivore surveys and game counts.
The staff were really helpful and friendly, and eager to ensure that the volunteers had the best experience possible. We learnt a lot about the area, and did fun touring things as well as environmental work. Which is not to say the environmental work wasn't fun, because it certainly was!
The whole program was really well organised, and I didn't feel unsafe at any point.
I would definitely recommend this program!