Volunteer Programs in South Africa

Hosted by

Ginger Green
Marketing & Bookings Coordinator

About This Program

Our primary target communities are around the Hout Bay area where we engage and empower youth in education and personal development activities, with the hope of improved future options and avoidance of negative behaviors such as substance use and joining gangs.

We also support social enterprise to assist with employment and skill transfer to local community members, and also supporting conservation activities. Internship opportunities are also available.

• Spread hope through assisting at pre-schools to educate and support disadvantaged children
  • Experience lively culture in a South African Township
  • Live in and explore the city of Cape Town
  • Enjoy a day off in the sun on the beautiful sandy beaches
  • Hike up table mountain and learn about the history of this iconic city

Volunteers can participate in a variety of programs including; Child Care, Teaching & Youth Development, Support for People with Disabilities, Lalela Arts & Expression Program, Business Development & Product Design, Learn English & Volunteer, Wildlife Care & Community Education.

DAY IN THE LIFE OF A VOLUNTEER

7:00 Wake up and have your breakfast on the deck overlooking the beach and Hout Bay Harbour!
7:30 Travel to your placement and get ready to begin your day8:00 Participate in your chosen project assisting with teaching activities including maths, English, science etc, and supporting the teacher through helping with setting and marking homework and tests
12:30 Time to either return to Hout Bay Backpackers for lunch or to eat the packed lunch you made that morning!
14:00 Begin your afternoon’s work with a full stomach and enthusiasm – this will involve assisting at youth clubs with homework, reading and activities to develop self-confidence
16:00 Return back to your accommodation and share your day’s adventures with other volunteers, maybe even a quick swim in the sea!
18:30 Enjoy a delicious evening meal and relax......

ITINERARY FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE

Day 1 Fly into Cape Town International Airport where you will be met by All Out Africa staff members who will transfer you to Hout Bay Backpackers, your home for the duration of the experience.

Day 2 The second day begins with an informative presentation that will brief you on all you need to know about the culture and country, how to effectively contribute during your volunteer experience.

Day 3 Today you begin your volunteer project! The Project Coordinator will take you to and assist you in settling in at your project. After lunch you have another tour, this time through the Hangberg community. Your tour guide is a local leader who lives in the community and is involved in many of the youth interventions to encourage positive development.

Day 4 In the morning you will return to your morning project, and in the afternoon you may remain at your pre-school.

Day 5 You’re now fully up and running as a volunteer, and will go to both your morning and afternoon projects!

Day 6-7 and other weekends The rst weekend of your experience you will be given a one-day bus ticket to the open top red bus tour, which is a great way to explore Cape Town and familiarise yourself on what you want to do! Stops include Camps Bay, Table Mountain, V & A waterfront and Cape Town City Centre.

Other weekends are free for you to relax or to see more of the scenery and activities Cape Town has to offer!

For 4 Week Option
Day 29 Return home Sadly all great adventures must come to an end and on your final day you will leave the backpacker lodge in Hout Bay and will be transferred to Cape Town International Airport.

Airport transfer is included and facilitated by All Out Africa if on the designated departure day.

For 4 Week+ Option
Day 29 onwards Continue with your volunteer project as described in day 5, giving you more time to contribute to your project.

What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Equipment Meals
What's Included (Extra)

Orientation upon arrival
Full support and daily guidance from the project coordinator and assistant coordinator

What's Not Included
Airfare Transportation Travel Insurance Visa

Hout Bay Backpackers has a truly stunning view over Hout Bay beach and local shops, markets, restaurants and amenities are all within walking distance. Cape Town centre is a short bus ride away, with stops outside the backpackers.
You will be accommodated in shared dorms with communal bathrooms with bed linen and pillows. There are communal living spaces, DSTV, kitchen and terrace for you to use, and staff will help you organise trips and excursions to local sights.

Hout Bay is situated in a valley on the Atlantic seaboard of the Cape Peninsula, twenty kilometers south of the Central Business District of Cape Town. It is bordered by Table Mountain and a white sand beach. Hout Bay has one of the busiest shing harbours in the Western Cape with an established sh industry, and great sh restaurants.

Volunteers, interns and students receive 3 meals a day when joining an All Out Africa experience. These meals are provided at Hout Bay Backpackers and are eaten together on the communal decking area in the summer or in the dining room during winter.

Breakfast is self-service from a selection of items including cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, eggs and spreads. Lunch too is self-service from items such as bread, ham, cheese, salad and fruits. Dinner is a cooked meal which you will assist with cooking on a rotational basis. Types of dishes served include pasta, stir-fry, curry and stew.

Vegetarians and most food allergies can be catered for. In order to fully support you during your experience, please advise us at time of booking if you have any food allergies or preferences, so we can cater for these in our meal plans. We will do our best but be prepared your food selection may not be as varied as other participants. If your food allergies/preference are quite restrictive, we may require you to pay an additional fee to allow us to cater for you.

Availability

$1914 USD
8 Weeks
$2197 USD

Giulia

The first experience that counts

My firt experience in Africa.
My first day eated gnamachoma in the slums.
My first morning I sow the best sunrise ever.
My first climbing to the Table Mountain.
My first face to face with apartheid.
My firs run into someone who never sow a coloured person before.
My first roommates from Germany.
My last memories of Xhosa language: Molo.

Sarah

---

It was wonderful to get to know the country by working with the people there, not only as a tourist. Especially the different projects (T-Bags and the Ikhaya le Themba) gave me diversity. I had only highlights, no difficulties. =)

The hostel. It was wonderful, but without a bar, billiard,... and not so much other backpackers.
Williamson

Families can volunteer too

Myself, husband and two boys aged 9 and 7 have just returned from an amazing experience in Swaziland, helping to teach orhpaned or vulnerable pre-schoolers. The All Out Africa team do amazing work with the local community, but they also ensured that we as volunteers were happy and safe at all times. The boys took part in all the activities, helping to organise games with the children, helping with lessons or reading stories. At break times they all played together and had fun. The accommodation at the lodge is comfortable and safe, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Swaziland is a great place for families at the weekend too; we really enjoyed exploring the nature and game reserves.
I can wholeheartedly recommend volunteering in Swaziland with All Out Africa, and I know that our experience will stay with us forever.

chawk17

Conservation Project in Swaziland

I really enjoyed working on field conservation research in Mlawula Nature Reserve. Here we learned about the indigenous species of plants and the impact these have on wildlife populations. Also enjoyed teaching bird conservation and information to children living in the Shuwula Village. I feel that the conservation work is only going to beneficial if we begin to educate the future generations about properly taking care of the land and the animals.

michelle2012

Rewarding Experience in a Beautiful Place

I absolutely loved my eight weeks with All Out Africa in South Africa. The program is based in Hout Bay, about 20 minutes outside of Cape Town. I did a teaching placement at the primary and intermediate school, working with all the different classes of the school in the computer classroom to work on literacy, numeracy and computer skills. I felt like my presence helped reduce large class sizes for the teachers there. School was on holiday for the first half of my time there because of the World Cup, but All Out Africa's program coordinator had put together an amazing holiday program for the children of Hout Bay. During school, I attended the staff meeting every morning and felt welcomed by all the teachers and staff. It was definitely a lot to do, but the kids are amazing and the work was rewarding. Despite my short stay, I felt like I was actually making some kind of small contribution to helping the school and the community. Hout Bay has a township, a fishing community, and a more affluent community. It is pretty safe, but you definitely have to be smart about your whereabouts and the time of day. The amenities of the volunteer house are much nicer than I was expecting, and I made amazing friendships with some of the other volunteers and local South Africans. Hout Bay is breathtakingly beautiful (as is really all of Cape Town) and you are definitely close enough to Cape Town to go in on the weekends, if you don't mind paying for transportation. It offers an opportunity to engage with the community in a rewarding way during the week and also explore and enjoy Cape Town on the weekends. South Africa has a fascinating history, and there are a lot of things to do in Cape Town.

I cannot stress how amazing the program coordinator is! And I miss Hout Bay every single day.

jackiem1122

Conservation Volunteering

I had a wonderful time volunteering in Swaziland with All Out Africa. Some of the environmental projects I helped out on were vegetation studies, rodent trapping, working with Marabou Storks, small carnivore surveys and game counts.
The staff were really helpful and friendly, and eager to ensure that the volunteers had the best experience possible. We learnt a lot about the area, and did fun touring things as well as environmental work. Which is not to say the environmental work wasn't fun, because it certainly was!
The whole program was really well organised, and I didn't feel unsafe at any point.
I would definitely recommend this program!