Education is one of the key needs of children and is their doorway to a bright future. In South Africa, all children have to go to school, because it is seen a basic human right, yet a large percentage of children struggle to go to or to do well at school due to the effects of unemployment, HIV AIDS, poverty and substance abuse. This project involves working with a school in the Hout Bay area of Cape Town, South Africa, which offers education and the hope of a future to many young people.
The Teaching Project aims to assist children at primary school level with support in a variety of ways including getting students to read and offering one-on-one support to children who are performing below the 20% pass rate. You also will be working in the after-school project that continues to support educational activities including reading and homework, as well as teaching life skills and activities to improve self-confidence.
- Spread hope through assisting at pre-schools to educate and support disadvantaged children
- Experience lively culture in a South African Township
- Live in and explore the city of Cape Town
- Enjoy a day off in the sun on the beautiful sandy beaches
- Hike up table mountain and learn about the history of this iconic city