Affordable & Trusted Volunteer and Travel Programs in Zanzibar

Want to make your travel abroad meaningful? Join PDS, the most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization of Zanzibar.

Choose among 5 programs to help children and youth in the rural communities of Zanzibar.
Bonus: Pick the tour of your choice (Safari Blue, Prison Island, Spice Tour...) and let's discover Zanzibar together!

You have 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months or more, come to PDS, explore the Island and contribute to a meaningful social cause at the same time for just $125/week.

You will be accommodated in a village, 30 minutes from Stonetown (the capital) and 5 minutes from the beach. You can even choose in which house you will live your volunteering experience:
- At PDS house with like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.
- At local’s, in an authentic and typitypical house with friendly and open-hearted zanzibarite people.

If you are tired to choose between a volunteering experience and a touristic trip, PDS programs are made for you.

Program Highlights
  • Highly affordable fee of $125/week, including airport pick-up and drop-off, accommodation, food, welcome and goodbye program, 1 touristic tour).
  • You will be part of a meaningful social cause and at the same time you will explore historical, natural and cultural sites of Zanzibar Island.
  • You will get the opportunity to live with local people and experience their way of life.
  • You can design your own volunteering experience: choose the place you live and choose the duration of your stay (from 2 weeks up to 6 months)

Program Impact

-Through volunteering exchange, the program has contributed to the economy and social well-being of the poorest people and vulnerable people
-Together with volunteers, we create a successful, sustainable garden using organic methods and more than 60 local people get practical knowledge in every month.
- We teach students and graduates from different collages and universities in Zanzibar on how to work (Practical knowledge)
-Through cultural exchange project, we encourage people from all walk of life to appreciate and understand distinct cultures and play a key role in creating productive dialogue across the world that promote peace and tolerance

Gabriela

Amazing experience in Zanzibar

I’ve been volunteering for almost 2 weeks in PDS, Zanzibar and I’m incredible grateful for this experience. I had the chance to met awesome, warm and welcoming people. PDS has several ongoing projects with lots of ideas, actions, love and empathy for kids, teenagers and local families.
Very nice hosting, delicious local food and so much love, good energy that make you don’t want to leave that place anymore.
Due covid-19 I had to come back home, but definitely I would love to go back in PDS and stay longer.

Malak

I loved every moment

pds is my second family ❤️❤️
The place is amazing 🤩 the students are so smart
it’s so safe to travel to
the place is so clean and cozy , my room was good , the food is amazing 🤩
the weather is great 😊 zanzibar has beautiful beaches and people are so kind and pure
You can teach kid’s English/ Arabic / computer
i miss everyone 💕💕 can’t wait to come back , I totally recommend PDS for everyone to visit
If you want to meet people from allover the world go at pds and you will have the most amazing experience

Sandra

Memorable experience

I have spent 2 memorable weeks in village Kibele with Abdallah and his crew. I wish I could stay longer but because covid-19 pandemic already started I had to leave. The project is led by wonderful, welcoming people who are open for creative volunteers willing to be part of their comunity. The enviroment is beautiful, local, simply authentic. Suitable for adventurous souls. You will have a chance to creative and be active in many different areas. I would recommend to stay at least 1 month to leave something behind. Highly recommended! :) Thank you again.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Travelling by over-filled bus back to the village. Cosy experience haha :)
Aleksandra

PDS Zanzibar

I spent at PDS Zanzibar for a month and it was really great experience. I had pleasure to meet PDS members and enjoy daily life with them. They were very friendly and helpful since the first minute, when they picked me up at the airport. The program, they offer to volunteers is so much fun!!! You will get to know local culture and you will be able to get involved in different projects. They are very open minded, so it's quite easy to get on well with them. I will definitely go back there one day !!!

What was your funniest moment?
PDS members are very friendly with good sense of humour. I can say that all 4 weeks over there were full of laughs and nice moments.
Doriane

Volunteering at PDS School 6 weeks

I spent few weeks at PDS School to teach english to the children. I want to say thank you to the president Abdalla and his team for their warm welcoming. Teachers at school are very kind, i will miss them and the children !
I was a wonderdul experience and a good way to discover the Zanzibari culture. People are very nice, polite, and smiling.
I have also discovered swahili food which is very good. The most typical dish is 'ugali' that you eat with your hand. It is strange at the beginning but very good!

Be patient and flexible ! Swahili rythm is pole pole (doucement, tranquille).
Reda

Amazing experience at PDS!

We (as a couple) have been volunteering for two weeks at PDS in the village of Kibele, Zanzibar. It has been an amazing and inspiring experience lead by Abdulla, the president and his amazing and talented team. Special mention to Zaghira and her family who have been THE perfect host.

We would have stayed much longer if Covid-19 didn't arrive in the country. We highly recommend this program as it is a great way to immerse in the Zanzibari culture while doing something very impactful (teaching and helping the organisation).

Aude

Join us in Two Weeks Volunteer and Travel Program in Zanzibar

My experience in Zanzibar was quite unique. I discovered a paradise-like island with white sand beatches and blue water. But what I remember the most was the people of Zanzibar: the nicest persons I have never met. They are so friendly and adorable, always smiling, singing a nice song with "Hakuna Matata" or dancing, in brief enjoying life. You will be part of the local life very easily with them.
The colors of this island, with its sun, its waters, its forest and the traditionnal clothes of its inhabitants (especially women) are so vivid that every photography lover will be in his/her element there.

I definitly recommend this experience !

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Octopus - You just go to the fish market and buy an octopus. You can see the seller squashing it on the ground and this is unforgettable. Then, the strangest thing is when you cook it with local people, when you cut it into pieces, its tentacles with this texture so peculiar.