Volunteer in Tanzania with Volunteering Solutions

Volunteer in Tanzania with Volunteering Solutions

Join Volunteering Solutions in Tanzania to learn become immersed in another culture while making a difference! Volunteer programs take place in Arusha, known as the safari capital of Tanzania. With a lack of skilled and experienced teachers in Tanzania, volunteers can choose to teach English in local schools. You can also volunteer to support street children and orphans. Many children have been abandoned by their families due to poverty and/or HIV/AIDS. Volunteers with a medical background can gain valuable experience working in local hospitals in clinics where they are short on experienced professionals. Visit the Volunteering Solutions website to learn more!

*Looking for a great summer program? Check out the Volunteering Solutions Tanzania Summer Volunteer & Adventure Experience!

Africa » Tanzania » Arusha
Africa » Tanzania

Matt

Life Changing Experience

Traveling to Tanzania was a life changing experience. I have had few experiences in my life that have been as fulfilling as the volunteer work I did here, and I would not change a thing about my experience. The community is engaging and the citizens are friendly and outgoing. The area is filled with opportunities to immerse yourself in an unforgettable culture. I can confidently say that I made some lifelong friends during my stay. I highly recommend this trip to anyone and everyone!

Cristina
Burgos
Autonomous University of Madrid

ARUSHA

my experience in Arusha has been awesome. I have enjoyed a lot with all the volunteers, staff, and local people. i will always recomend this program, although i think that it is a bit expensive.
Also the extra activities during the weekend were amazing, and the location was too good.
the work at the hospital Levelosi was wonderful, because we could learn a lot and also do many kinds of different things.
At Arusha i met a lot of people and also did some incredible plans: with some friends we did an Spanish omelette at a local tanzanite home. Also we went party with some medical students of Arusha,(with whom i am still in contact). Despite the fact that i worked at the hospital, i visited an orphanage: flowers orphanage, and that was an unforgettable experience. The way the children looked at you, the way they laughed without material things... it was fantastic.
The volunteers became my second family, and the local people was amazing.

Everything has been perfect. I wish i could come back, because it has been one of the most wonderful experiences in my whole life. Thank you a lot!!

The one thing that i think it must be clearer (in the predeparture program) is that when you enter into Tanzania (at the airport), you have to say that you are a turist at Kilimanjaro, not that you are a volunteer, because if not, you have to pay 250 $ to kilimanjaro, not to Arusha. It is something to take into account because my friends and I had a really bad moment at the airport, and anyone told us about that.
Also I think that it could be useuful to change a bit the food, because you get annoyed of eating all the time the same food(pasta and rice).

Raquel
Benicasim

Volunteering in Arusha, Tanzania

Volunteering in Arusha is the best decision I've ever made.
I thought that I was going to be the teacher in the orphanage, and so it was, but for my surprise, the kids teached me much more. Teaching them, playing with them, listening to them helped me to grow and made such a enriching and positive experience.
Also, I had the great opportunity to meet local people, go on day trips with them, walking around the city and visit non touristic places and live the city in a local way.

Giving special discounts to the volunteers for extra days at the house and trips

Francisca
Puerto Montt, Chile

Volunteering Solutions Review - My amazing first travelling experience

As my first travelling experience i was so nervious. Fortunately the staff helped me with all my doubts even I was already situated in the volunteer house.
I loved getting involved in culture and language. I learned a lot of this country and the custom.
The most important thing that I save from the volunteering is the orphanege where i work with.
The kids are really amazing. The lack of everything that they have is regrettable. But that is why I want to go back again as many times as I can. I fell in love with the kids. They need help and love.
Since the first time I saw them i knew that something in me would change.
My intention to go on this experience was to cheer their hearts, but they stole mine.

I would change the house location.

Lindsey
Lakeland, Florida
University of Utah

Orphanage in Tanzania

This is the trip that changed my life forever. It was my first volunteer trip and I can say it made me a better person. My favorite story from this summer was about this little boy. He was the mean boy at the orphanage, he bit, he scratched, he punched. He was always so angry! Having a sister with autism I grew up learning behavioral therapies so I decided to try just a basic therapy with him. I asked my cousin to help me with it as well. We decided every time we saw him we would give him a hug. At first he hated it he would try to hurt us. As the days passed he finally just became tolerant of our hugs. Toward the end of our stay something incredible happened. Each morning as we entered the orphanage the kids would come running to hug us. All except this boy. Well one of our last days there tears swelled in my eyes as I saw the first of the group of kids running toward us to be this special little man I had grown to love! He came up and gave me a hug. It was then I knew if anything I was able to reach one little boy and he turned out to be the sweetest of them all, just wanting a little love never having gotten it before. The rest of our stay we hugged with him and told him we loved him and he returned the favor. I will never forget this amazing experience!

Ana
Madrid, Spain

My experience at the orphanage was just the best thing I have ever done in my life, I'm glad to know this is just the begging

It's true that there are many amazing moments during the trip but, I think that the best part of the experience after all is the routine with the kids, the idea of knowing that you are going to see them every day, to share their happiness and way of life.

It's easy to improve the economical support of the organisation with the project.
It's necessary to feel the connection between what we pay and the project we work on.
In my case, I was disappointed for this, because it didn't work as it was said at the website, and we had to pay for the food of the kids

Karen
Belgium

Amazing experience!

Going to Tanzania to volunteer was probably the best thing I’ve ever done. I met a lot of lovely people. I still keep in touch with a lot of them.

During my stay I worked in the hospital. The circumstances are very hard and I will probably remember some of the children for the rest of my life. But I learned a lot of my stay in the hospital. It was amazing to meet local people and learn to know their culture. Tanzania is a wonderful country and I still miss it every day.

majorje
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Mount Saint Vincent University

Arusha, Tanzania

The program that Volunteering Solutions offers is great. It's an affordable way to volunteer. The accommodations were safe and clean and the meals were good. There wasn't very much variety in the meals though. After two weeks, I found myself wanting to eat out for most meals. Also, the area that the volunteer house is located in is very dangerous. We were mugged while there. However, there is a security guard at the gate 24/7, so when inside the volunteer house, you feel relatively safe. Also, your room door has a lock, so you can keep that locked at night as well.

They try to place volunteers at orphanages where help is needed most. If you went to an orphanage and didn't feel like it was a good fit for you, you were able to change to a different one. Also, some people came wanting to volunteer at the hospitals but then realized upon arrival that they would actually rather be at an orphanage. It wasn't a problem for them to change programs. When considering value for money, using volunteering solutions is a great option.

I would change the location of the volunteer house.

tobias
bremen

Great Experience

The website is very Well structured, informative and I specially liked the pictures and videos. The predeparture booklet gave good information of what to expect and how to prepare (for example what to bring there). The staff was very helpful in advance of the trip to help me (visa application in Germany).

I very much enjoyed working at my placement, it was the most amazing time I ever had! The highlight of my volunteering trip would be the safari trip and the work at the orphanage. High standard accommodation and very tasty meal (good mix of western and traditional meals!)

T.K.
Bremen, Germany

Invaluable Experiences

The volunteering was the greatest experience I had in my life. You get to know a different culture so intensely and feel that you can provide some help for the children at the orphanage. The accomodation and meals were very good and everything was well organised. I also did many adventures in the free time.

Volunteering Solutions started its operations in 2007 and has sent over 12500 volunteers abroad, and now has projects in more than 30 destinations across Asia, Latin America and Africa. Volunteering Solutions is dedicated to providing authentic, reasonably priced and meaningful volunteer programs around the world,