Volunteer in Tanzania | Most Affordable Projects Starting From $290

Has Tanzania been there on your bucket list since forever? A destination that's a favorite for all - Tanzania is not just a paradise for wildlife lovers, but also a country where a huge chunk of the population needs help from volunteers to live a better life. If you really wish to make a difference through your actions and contributions, then Volunteering Solutions would be glad to help you out in this endeavor. You can choose any program, either in Arusha or Zanzibar, and do something worthy for the people. You can either choose to volunteer as a teacher in Arusha or be a medical volunteer.

We also have specially curated voluntours (volunteer and travel programs) which has a perfect balance of work & safari. We know that if you are in Tanzania, you wouldn't want to miss exploring the Serengeti & Ngorongoro - so we've got the best plans for you.

• Choose from a wide range of programs available in Arusha & Zanzibar.
  • Programs are available throughout the year, for a minimum duration of 1 week to a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • Make a difference in the lives of the underprivileged ones and contribute towards change.
  • Get to know more about their history, culture & traditions.
  • Change to go for thrilling wildlife safaris in Serengeti & Ngorongoro and spot African Big 5.

• 9-10 rating 91.67%
  • 1-2 rating 8.33%
Don
No, I don't recommend this program

Medical Volunteer Zanzibat

There is a disconnect between what this program promises and what it offers. The best parts were our host mother, who was very sweet and the driver who picked us up. My wife and I are medical professionals (doctor and nurse) and expected to be working in a hospital where we could be of significant use. While the program is advertised for medical professionals with all experiences the majority of volunteers at the hospital were medical students from Germany and Denmark who seemed to be very bored as they did not have much to do. It is a money making program for the hospital (which is understandable as it is government run and relies on donations for supplies) as every volunteer has to pay the hospital to work there. But the hospital does not offer much for the students. In fact my wife and I spent most of our week helping to teach the medical students (who were very grateful we showed up) and taking charge with patient care to the extent we could given the language barrier. Rounds and teaching are very haphazard and by 12pm there is not much do do. Also volunteering solutions never gave our information to the hospital and so there was a delay in us even getting started on Monday. I think they mostly let it slide once they found out we were actual medical staff and not students (which they kept saying is rare for them). If you are a medical professional I would not recommend this program. If you are a student, your mileage will vary but it did not seem the students there were very happy with their experience.

Communication, better description of what you can actually do. Experience significantly different than what is promised.
Kayla

Home away from home

This program is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. When I first arrived, it was the middle of the night, and the hostel seemed questionable, but as I adjusted to my African family, I grew to love the staff and the place like home. It’s Africa, so yes...sometimes things were a little slow to happen, and yes...sometimes I encountered struggles that I’ve never had to face in the past, but that is all part of the experience. The challenges that I overcame with my fellow volunteers just made our bond so much stronger. The cooks put their heart and soul into their food even though they are there sun up to sun down cooking. The house mamas...or sisters, care for the volunteers as if they are family, and the night guards are like dad’s looking out for their kids.♥️ Dinner time was one of my favorites times, as some of the staff would stay after to play games with the volunteers. It made for such a light, happy atmosphere. I did the medical program for 5 months, and I did an orphanage/women’s center for the last month. St. Elizabeth hospital was life changing. I worked with Dr. Quaker for a few months in the pediatric ward before switching wards, and I learned SO MUCH from that women...not just medical information, but she also taught me about the tribes in the area and their traditions and beliefs and how it correlates with the health of the child. The cases I experienced here were like nothing I would ever experience at home. Some were definitely “heavy,” but that is a challenge every healthcare provider will have to eventually face. The orphanage and women’s center were also amazing. I was at Enjevai Orphanage and Faraja Women’s center. Both the kids and the young moms were such a joy to work with. Despite their circumstances, they came each day with smiling faces. It really puts life into perspective. Overall, I think anyone looking to volunteer with an open mind should book it in Arusha, Tanzania. Don’t go there expecting to improve how they do things, but instead, learn from them and how they survive with limited resources. I promise...you won’t want to leave.💛 It’s home away from home.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve/racking moment for me is when my bag was ripped off me by a boda boda (motorcycle taxi). I am one that always takes care of my things and I am very aware of my surroundings, but it was very unexpected one Sunday afternoon when I was walking down an empty street when it drove by and pulled my bag so hard that the strap broke. Luckily, I had two friends with me that helped me to report it. Even though a lot was lost from this experience, there was also a lot gained. It was a learning experience. I learned to cope with the bare minimum. I learned that we shouldn’t rely so much on earthly things (cards, money, possessions in general), and I learned to always expect the unexpected. It made things very difficult for a long period of time, but looking back on it, I don’t think I would chang how things happened.
Response from Volunteering Solutions

Hi Kayla,
Thanks for joining our program in Tanzania and leaving an in depth and detailed review. We are very happy to know that you consider choosing this program as one of the best decisions you have ever made. Considering you spent a longer duration of time in Arusha (18 weeks), you were able to fully immerse in the local way of life and go to interact more with the local staff at the project as well as volunteer accommodations. Your suggestions in regards to being open minded, flexible and to learn from locals would be very happy for future participants. We are sure you would have a great experience on your next program destination with us. Once again, thanks for joining the programs and leaving us a review.
Thanks
Team Volunteering Solutions

Matt

Life Changing Experience

Traveling to Tanzania was a life changing experience. I have had few experiences in my life that have been as fulfilling as the volunteer work I did here, and I would not change a thing about my experience. The community is engaging and the citizens are friendly and outgoing. The area is filled with opportunities to immerse yourself in an unforgettable culture. I can confidently say that I made some lifelong friends during my stay. I highly recommend this trip to anyone and everyone!

Cristina

ARUSHA

my experience in Arusha has been awesome. I have enjoyed a lot with all the volunteers, staff, and local people. i will always recomend this program, although i think that it is a bit expensive.
Also the extra activities during the weekend were amazing, and the location was too good.
the work at the hospital Levelosi was wonderful, because we could learn a lot and also do many kinds of different things.
At Arusha i met a lot of people and also did some incredible plans: with some friends we did an Spanish omelette at a local tanzanite home. Also we went party with some medical students of Arusha,(with whom i am still in contact). Despite the fact that i worked at the hospital, i visited an orphanage: flowers orphanage, and that was an unforgettable experience. The way the children looked at you, the way they laughed without material things... it was fantastic.
The volunteers became my second family, and the local people was amazing.

Everything has been perfect. I wish i could come back, because it has been one of the most wonderful experiences in my whole life. Thank you a lot!!

The one thing that i think it must be clearer (in the predeparture program) is that when you enter into Tanzania (at the airport), you have to say that you are a turist at Kilimanjaro, not that you are a volunteer, because if not, you have to pay 250 $ to kilimanjaro, not to Arusha. It is something to take into account because my friends and I had a really bad moment at the airport, and anyone told us about that.
Also I think that it could be useuful to change a bit the food, because you get annoyed of eating all the time the same food(pasta and rice).
Raquel

Volunteering in Arusha, Tanzania

Volunteering in Arusha is the best decision I've ever made.
I thought that I was going to be the teacher in the orphanage, and so it was, but for my surprise, the kids teached me much more. Teaching them, playing with them, listening to them helped me to grow and made such a enriching and positive experience.
Also, I had the great opportunity to meet local people, go on day trips with them, walking around the city and visit non touristic places and live the city in a local way.

Giving special discounts to the volunteers for extra days at the house and trips
Francisca

Volunteering Solutions Review - My amazing first travelling experience

As my first travelling experience i was so nervious. Fortunately the staff helped me with all my doubts even I was already situated in the volunteer house.
I loved getting involved in culture and language. I learned a lot of this country and the custom.
The most important thing that I save from the volunteering is the orphanege where i work with.
The kids are really amazing. The lack of everything that they have is regrettable. But that is why I want to go back again as many times as I can. I fell in love with the kids. They need help and love.
Since the first time I saw them i knew that something in me would change.
My intention to go on this experience was to cheer their hearts, but they stole mine.

I would change the house location.
Lindsey

Orphanage in Tanzania

This is the trip that changed my life forever. It was my first volunteer trip and I can say it made me a better person. My favorite story from this summer was about this little boy. He was the mean boy at the orphanage, he bit, he scratched, he punched. He was always so angry! Having a sister with autism I grew up learning behavioral therapies so I decided to try just a basic therapy with him. I asked my cousin to help me with it as well. We decided every time we saw him we would give him a hug. At first he hated it he would try to hurt us. As the days passed he finally just became tolerant of our hugs. Toward the end of our stay something incredible happened. Each morning as we entered the orphanage the kids would come running to hug us. All except this boy. Well one of our last days there tears swelled in my eyes as I saw the first of the group of kids running toward us to be this special little man I had grown to love! He came up and gave me a hug. It was then I knew if anything I was able to reach one little boy and he turned out to be the sweetest of them all, just wanting a little love never having gotten it before. The rest of our stay we hugged with him and told him we loved him and he returned the favor. I will never forget this amazing experience!

Ana

My experience at the orphanage was just the best thing I have ever done in my life, I'm glad to know this is just the begging

It's true that there are many amazing moments during the trip but, I think that the best part of the experience after all is the routine with the kids, the idea of knowing that you are going to see them every day, to share their happiness and way of life.

It's easy to improve the economical support of the organisation with the project.
It's necessary to feel the connection between what we pay and the project we work on.
In my case, I was disappointed for this, because it didn't work as it was said at the website, and we had to pay for the food of the kids