Au Pair Tutor and Study Program in China

The Forbidden City
The Forbidden City
With my host children, Jerry and Wendy
With my host children, Jerry and Wendy
All my tickets (I saw a lot of stuff)
All my tickets (I saw a lot of stuff)
In the Forbidden City
In the Forbidden City
Cutural Seminar - Calligraphy learning
Cutural Seminar - Calligraphy learning
Explore China
Explore China
Cultural Activity - the Great Wall
Cultural Activity - the Great Wall

Are you interested in China and its culture? Would you like to be a cultural ambassador? Aupairia provides you with the opportunity to experience life in China and learn Mandarin while living with a Chinese family as an au pair - mainly in Beijing, also in other cities like Shanghai, Shenzhen and Dalian.

We at Aupairia offer you a high-quality support system including orientation courses, round-trip airline tickets and au pair insurance. In addition, you will have weekly Mandarin lessons in a language school and a cultural activity every month.

With Aupairia Au Pair China program, you will:
1. Provide informal language tutoring and childcare to Chinese host kids
2. Study Mandarin in our lessons and live in the local community speaking Chinese in daily life
3. Immerse yourself in Chinese culture through our cultural activities, such as Chinese shadow play
4. Explore the world's oldest civilization and visit traditional sites such as the Great Wall

• We offer round-trip airline tickets
  • You will have Mandarin lessons every week, and a cultural activity every month
  • We provide you with orientation courses and high-quality support system
  • You can make friends with other au pairs and local people

Jo

Awesome experience!

This was a great experience. I have been planning to go to Beijing for a very long time in order to improve my Chinese speaking skills. 3 months was definitely sufficient for me, I was able to learn more about Chinese culture as well as the language. I grew a close connection to my host family, so much that I will definitely be back to visit them!

My host family was so lovely and their expectation of me were very clear. It helps to have some previous knowledge of the Chinese language otherwise communication can be difficult.
Aupairia was a great company to help me settle in to China, with setting up bank cards, sim cards, Wechat etc. The culture classes they held were good fun to catch up with the other aupairs whilst learning about Chinese culture.
I was prepared to explore Beijing during the day with the expectation of teaching the kids English in the evenings, which aspiring Aupairs should be prepared for. Otherwise this program is not for you.
This program allowed me to meet so many new people, learn so much about the Chinese culture and language and explore Beijing as a local.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Probably sea cucumber. Or chicken feet. I was surprised with different foods in China everyday.
Rosaria

Enriching Experience in China

My experience in China was very enriching. It was my first time in China and in Asia as in general. Before coming to China I had a very different idea about the country and the culture, my main fear was to not be able to adapt, but now, at the end I feel like it was an irrational fear because I did not only adapt easily to the culture but I also felt very welcome in this amazing country. I feel like I'm leaving the country as a different person who improved many skills and got to develop new ones. If you're into learning improving your chinese this is a perfect opportunity since you won't easily find english speakers in China, everyday is a challenge, but don't get worried because the language barrier won't affect your fun or the experience, you'll always find a way to communicate even without your phone and translation apps!

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moments as a foreign in China are always when you're in touristic places and people ask you to take photos with them, you feel like a celebrity!Once a man even asked to draw me and I had to stand for like an hour for him to finish the sketch !haha
Andrea

Great way to experience Chinese Culture first-hand

I have joined the programme because I wanted to learn more about China in person. Despite learning about China in university, I wanted to be here and learn from the people what makes China so special. Needless to say, my expectations have been exceeded by far. The people from Aupairia offered great support every step of the way and supported me with any issue I had. All the families they match you with are hospitable and well selected, so there's nothing to fear.

Before you join the programme, it may be useful to learn about China a bit, just to make sure you don't experience cultural shock. Also, be ready because Beijing is massive and nothing can prepare you fro the sheer scale of the city. Aside from this, get ready for an awesome adventure!!!

I think more frequent mandarin classes should be offered.
VICTORIA

A Mexican Girl in China

I would like to share about China and my experience with Auparia, you really have to come and experience everything it is such an amazing COUNTRY!! My host family was very very nice with me, they have 2 kids, OMG! the most cute children in China and also they are the most intelligent kids I've ever knew, I used to teach them Spanish and help them with English. The food is delicious, the people are really nice and there are a lot of amazing places to visit. And about learning Chinese it is really interesting, but you have to review everyday, I used to go the University twice a week but I think that is not enough, I really would like to change that part of the program, anyway I think if you are planning to come to China, Auparia is the best option, dont be afraid It will change your life forever.

What was your funniest moment?
When I lost my subway card and Ive got no more battery on my phone, so I was trying to ask in chinese how to get home, it was pretty hard.
Marcos

It was great

This experience was great, marvelous, very good indeed, I would not change this for the whole world!
I tried many strange foods like dog meat, donkey meat, pigeon meat, many fruits I did not even heard of, a soup made out of vinegar, octopus and pepper, etc...
I played ultimate frisbee for the first time in the university and also played table tennis with small kids, like 10 years old or maybe even younger and managed to lose.
I tried pottery as well which was way more difficult than I anticipated.
China, this great country, was undoubtedly a country full of surprises and full of fun activities, experiences and fun. I definitely recommend.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate dog meat which is pretty unfamiliar to me since we usually only see dogs as pets in Portugal.
Brennan

An incredible experience in all regards

This programme was really enriching, fun and rewarding in all respects. Tutoring the kids was harder than expected but open to everyone - even with little teaching experience - and incredibly rewarding. Living in a host family for a few months was also an incredible experience, and although the culture gap was a little challenging at first, very enriching culturally and personally. I was basically part of their family for my stay, going with them on weekend and vacation trips, and formed a real bond with the kid. Being an au pair was demanding but still left a lot of free time, spent in mandarin lessons and culture classes, which were great ways to get to understand China better, and exploring Beijing. Lastly, being part of the Aupairia programme also meant that I got to meet other au pairs from around the world, spent time with similar-minded people and forge friendships. The support from Aupairia was also really good throughout, the staff really helpful and efficient.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
My most nerve-racking moment was probably when my host kid got into huge temper fits and I had to calm him down - even though he didn't understand everything I say, or when my phone ran out of battery the first day when I was on the other side of the city, not knowing how to get home or even what my address was.
Brennan

Good Company, Fun Travels, Occasionally Tough Kids

Aupairia was a good company to work with. Overall, most things involving the company went smoothly including arranging family placement, travel plans and required documents. The company arranged culture classes and language classes that were helpful for their intended purpose, and also were a nice opportunity to meet and spend time with other Au Pairs. I greatly enjoyed the opportunities I had on my day off each week to see the sites around Beijing and several other locations in China. I felt that the parents of my host family treated me very well in all aspects, including giving me a nice room to live in, good food, and bringing me along to family trips and other fun things.

Of course, the biggest part of being an Au Pair is spending time playing with and teaching the children of your host family. Overall, working with the kids wasn't too bad. I wasn't expected to be a super professional teacher or to provide an education for the child. Instead, the expectation of my host family was that I essentially provide an immersive language and culture environment for their host children. By and large, this wasn't too hard, and was sometimes enjoyable. However, especially on the weekends where I'd often be expected to spend more than eight hours a day with the host children, spending time with the host children could begin to feel very difficult because of communication difficulties (the host children in my family only have extremely basic English speaking and comprehension ability) and also because of trying to discipline and control children who are being raised very differently than I was, both in terms of culture and economics. I also struggled with finding any personal time- any time I was at home but not scheduled to work, I felt like I had to hide from the host children because if they saw me it was very hard to tell them "no, I'm not working right now."

Overall, I'd recommend this company, and I had a very good experience, but being with the kids could certainly be challenging at times. I'd recommend anyone considering this type of program remember that they'll be spending most of their time with the children and to reflect on how they'll feel about that.

The program could offer more childcare training to Au Pairs - I and most of the other Au Pairs I met felt that mainly we were teaching our host kids based only what we remembered from being children ourselves. Training in teaching strategies or even teaching us games to play with the kids or something could be very helpful.
Elliot

Overall? Pre' good!

This has been a pretty sick 6 months. However I don't think anything I read online could have truly made me understand what this experience looked like.

I felt a bit thrown into the deep end. I didn't fully understand what I would need to do on a day to day basis to care for this families children and to fit in, however things usually work out happily if you and the family both approach with an openness to compromise. The family who hosted me were so generous to me, and always sought to make my experience in China a happy one, I'm super thankful for the role they played in my time here. That said time with kids can really tire me out, it's not always easy. ^^

Apart from the family, the people who I met be it other au pairs or random connections that you begin to develop made this experience truly special. I'll never forget the people I got to experience this country with in my free time.

A lot of au pairs sympathize together, your free time with aupairia will never be as free as it could be. Because of this you sometimes feel a bit trapped with the range of things you might be able to do, especially depending on the remoteness of the host family. Despite the frequent desire for more freedom, I found the trade off worth while. As a first hand China visitor, the experience of being in a Chinese family's home was a privilege, and the chance to learn Mandarin and explore the city from a comfortable environment with the benefit of wisdom and administrative guidance from the company and family...I think it's a great way. Also as the company prides itself on, it's a mutually beneficial experience. You can have pride to see the ways your host kids grow up with you around as you have input into their lives.

Of course in the end it's the quality of your character, and also the character of the host family that may make or break this program for you. If you're patient and happy to interact with a diverse group of people, I think you'll have an okay time.

It can be difficult to express worry or desire between language barriers. Any way to continue improving the balance of family - au pair healthy interactions for a mutually beneficial solution would be great.
Maggie

Totally Worth It!

Aupairia gives you the opportunity of a lifetime to live in China for a relatively low price. They make an effort to match you with a host family that you will be able to learn and grow with. On top of ensuring a good home life, Aupairia provides many cultural activities and classes for aupairs to take part and learn about Chinese customs. They even take you to an amazing day trip where you will get to experience the beauty of the Great Wall of China.
You make friends from all around the world and have the unique pleasure of exploring Beijing in a group of awesome people with similar interests. You also get the opportunity to take Mandarin classes and can start from any level no matter your previous experience. Aupairia has built a great program with great people and experiences!

I would hope for more aupairs so the group could be more diversified.
Jack

aupair in china

you should try 3 months and if you like it extend if not go home, for me it was hard to get use to some things and i think that for me 5 months were to long but i have try to take with me just the good things because whats the point on thinking in the bad ones, so i have met a lot of peple of different countries and i have been practicing my english so that reeally good for me. even though i think we do not have enough time or money to get to know more about china. i would be better if we get paid more or that the agency make some cultural activities in other towns near beijing to get to know a little more about them. also i think you as an agency that take us should try to get more serious when the aupairs have problems, try to give solutions.

What was your funniest moment?
me getting lost every important time we plan to do something
Jack

Great

It was an amazing experience. The host family was fabulous, very friendly and supportive. My favorite part was being able to travel with the host family, they took me all over China. I was able to get a lot of free time from the family so much so that I was able to train for an Ironman while I was on this incredible experience. The great part about this is it was practically free they paid for my flight over and they would've paid for my flight back, but I decided to do some more traveling. The staff at Aupairia are very kind and will help you if you ever have communication problems with the host family. I stayed with two family's while I was in China and Aupairia made the transition very smooth. Also the other aupairs you'll meet are very friendly.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate scorpions, turtle, and toad. But one of the other aupairs ate tarantula and starfish.
Alex

Alex's Time as a Aupair

I was very fortunate to have a fun and understanding family. The host mum was very considerate and opened with my experiences in Beijing, ensuring that I was given ample opportunity to explore and do what I wanted in the city. The duty schedule with the host child was organised between myself and the host child. However, this may differ among other families. We were set up with our main necessities - our mobile phone service and our transport ticket.

Furthermore my host mum also helped me setup my bank card which allowed to me use WeChat pay which made the transition into Beijing smoother. Overall, i would definitely recommend this program to anyone who would like to explore Beijing as a City, immerse themselves in the language of Mandarin and experience being part of a contemporary yet still have the traditional style of a Chinese family.

More communication amongst Aupairia, Aupairs and the host family
Scott

My First Time Living Abroad

So having never traveled alone before, never having lived anywhere else except in my home country coming to stay in China as an Au pair for six months was quite a big leap for me. And it took me a while to settle in and feel comfortable as just the general culture shock just totally numbed me. But now that I am coming to the end it's been an absolutely incredible experience and I have gained so much experience and growth from it. I like to think I have changed in my way of thinking, my perspectives on the world and my life, and also I have learned so much about a different culture and a new language which I have managed to learned a lot in. It's a great experience as you get to explore a new city and travel but also get to live with a family who practice the traditions, who celebrate different festivals, who you can learn more about culture and lifestyle from. Overall, it's been just so amazing and I have no regrets getting involved.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could do this experience again, I would totally go into it with a new mindset. For the first few weeks and months I was finding it hard to just settle in and get comfortable and as soon as I did that the experience was just so much better at that point and I wished I had settled in sooner.
Christiana

Great opportunity to live abroad

The reason that I came to China was because I had nothing to do back home for 5 months and wanted to do something exciting, and that's exactly what I found. I had the opportunity to live with a local family, attend Chinese lessons, and do various activities with the company to learn more about the history and culture of China. This company has also been very proactive and is there to help every step of the way. Any time you have a question or need help, you can just message a staff member and they will get right back to you. The company also arranged for us to attend classes at the local university with students, which was an amazing opportunity to see how university is different in different countries. This was really a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm glad I chose this company.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing that I saw was the Great Wall in the snow; it was BEAUTIFUL!
Nicholas

Excellent community feel

Perhaps the highlight of my time here in China with Aupairia has been the astounding community feel that has come from being a group of students/young adults being thrown together in a largely unfamiliar country. All au pairs tend to get on very well, with lots of plans being made to visit one another in the years to come. Most of us also have good experiences with the company as well, with some good friendships forged between au pairs and staff (shoutout to Neil xoxo). Some characteristics of this programme, which I know to be at the very least rare among Chinese au pair agencies, which are particularly brilliant are the lessons in Mandarin Chinese at a well-known Chinese university in addition to cultural classes put on by both Aupairia and the university. Recent examples in April 2019 have included a trip to the Badaling section of the Great Wall as well as interestingly intense lessons in Chinese chess. These have all helped us au pairs to create closer community ties to one another as well as the company.

The company were very welcoming, and extremely helpful in helping to settle into China, and also with the preliminary application procedures. Candy was very helpful in the infamous Chinese visa application process - in fact, her help was invaluable. On arrival in China, we are well-cared for, with help setting up SIM cards etc. Then we are introduced in person to our host families.

My only complaint regarding Aupairia would likely be as a result of what I have heard from other au pair friends with Aupairia. Some have complained of unfairness when the company attempts to mediate between au pairs and families when disputes arise. However it must be noted that I myself have not encountered this, despite my host family deciding 5.5 months into a 6 month programme that my performance was unacceptable, and kicking me out. Quite the opposite in fact, Aupairia sorted me out a place to stay for the remaining two weeks at extremely short notice, and I ended up staying with the head of the company's (Tina's) delightful family.

Overall I have enjoyed my time in Beijing with Aupairia a lot, and I would recommend it looking to get some decent Chinese learning in! Just be careful which family you choose, of course, as you can never be too careful.

Perhaps a larger monthly allowance, especially if, as was the case with me, your family live far out from the city centre. This pushed up my cost of living a lot, as I had to travel to and from university several times a week, and whenever I wished to go out to see friends, I would have to catch the subway a substantial distance, costing quite a lot over the course of a month.

Staff Interviews

About Aupairia

Aupairia is based in Beijing, China which specializes in cultural and educational programs. The aim of our Au Pair China Program is to promote international cultural exchanges between China and other nations and traditions, so that youths from all...