This program is no longer offered. View more programs from The Leap.
The Leap | Wildlife Conservation, Teaching + Safari in South Africa |

The Leap | Wildlife Conservation, Teaching + Safari in South Africa |

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from The Leap.

Join a team of Leap volunteers heading out to a game reserve, next to the Kruger National Park, to get stuck into a mix of wildlife and reserve conservation plus teaching in a local township.

2- 10 week programs available which include:

Tracking & conserving African wildlife.
Monitoring and recording the reserve’s protected rhino and leopard.
Caring for their rescued elephants who live on the reserve.
Helping rangers with their anti-poaching initiatives.
Teaching English/sport to township kids.
Refurbishing the township community centre.
Safari at Kruger National Park
Elephant back safaris
4x4 driving

10 week programs include 4 days on the Mozambique Coast + bush plane flight over the reserve.

Departures throughout the year.

Click " Get started" for more information.

Africa » South Africa
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Teach Abroad
Volunteer Abroad
Primary Language
Age Max
24 hour emergency back-up, management and support.
Safety and induction course on arrival.
Elephant interaction and ride. Game drives on reserve.
1 bush plane flight over the reserve.
Airport pick up and transfer to and from the placement.
Food and accommodation throughout.
Mozambique excursion - a 4 night Indian Ocean beach adventure in stunning scenery.
Subsidised visas for Mozambique R&R phase.

Kate
Oxford Brookes University

The most BRILLIANT 6 weeks!

I traveled to Kwa Madwala in April 2015 for six weeks, I truly adored every second of my time spent there. We got to ride horses, go back n safari almost daily, learn how to track animals, camp in the Kruger, watch animals trotting through your back garden and learn how to cook authenitic South African food and most importantly Braii!
During my six weeks I made some of the best friends I could wish for and learned some amazing skills that I will use for life.
I cannot recommend The Leap, and in particular the South Africa trip enough.
It was perfect! Don't hesitate, you will love it too!

The organisation could be dodgy at times, but that was all part of the fun.

Lizzie
Suffolk, England

South Africa 2014

Waking up in a thunderstorm to see lions walking past your bedroom window is likely to be the most surreal incredible experience of your life, it certainly was mine! Being surrounded by so many like minded people helped to make the experience so amazing. Wonderful, helpful staff mean you are prepared for everything. I fell in love with South Africa as soon as I landed, and sitting at the top of Baboons Koppie looking over the game reserve is one of the most spectacular views- certainly my favorite!

Although it was nice to have a base for the 10 weeks and a place to call home, a bit more travelling would have been perfect! However, that doesnt mean you cant travel more- I took an extra 10 days after the placement to see South Africa!

Caroline
United Kingdom
University of Kent

Summer Leap 2012

I had a fantastic time in South Africa. One of the main things that I took away with me was not only some amazing memories and friendships, but a new found confidence. Further, the daily activities were so enjoyable; especially the days in which we visited the orphanage- the children literally held on to everyone the entire time and we played with them for hours.

More time at the orphanage as they really welcomed the help.

Ella
Plymouth, Devon
University of Plymouth

My Highlight of SA

One of my highlights from SA would be when we were able to really get involved with the animals on the reserve, assisting the vets with the treatment of one of the Rhinos. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get up close to such amazing animal. I learnt a huge amount during my stay at Bush House not just about the animals, but about the South African Culture and traditions. I managed to visit Kruger National Park 4 times during my 10 week stay and it was beyond anything you could ever imagine every time. From having a lion a metre away from our vehicle, to seeing a Cheetah with her three baby cubs, spotted in the bushes by our ranger. I have experienced memories with friends which will both last a lifetime.

If I had to change one thing about the program, it would be the fact that if the weather wasn't good at the weekends it was hard to suddenly plan a day trip out, apart from this, I enjoyed every moment out there, even the challenging parts.

Vanessa
Pluckley England

Amazing 6 months

My son spent 6 months in South Africa with the leap it was a 100% success on every level.. He loved every moment. As a parent the leap were fantastic in keeping me informed at every stage. He returned full of confidence and having learnt and gained in every way.

As a parent there was nothing that could be improved from my sons perspective the only thing wrong was he had to come back! Not a day goes past without chat of his wonderful 6 months

The Leap has been leading the field in overseas volunteering and career enhancing internships since 2002, providing award winning programs across Africa, Asia and South America. They are the first UK company to be accredited by the American Gap Association, about which they are very