Quest High School Study Abroad Worldwide

By Quest Exchange   Reviews (12)   96% Rating

Get out there with Quest Exchange! We have flexible program lengths from 2 weeks to 10 months! Soon you could be scuba diving in Ecuador, skiing in Austria, biking in Holland, praying in a Thai temple, snowboarding in Chile, or wandering around the snowy town square in Germany. Just choose your country and when you want to be there, and our experienced staff will guide you through the rest of the process. Quest values attention to individual students: once you are committed to making your program happen, we are too.

Students live with a host family and attend a local school, experiencing life as a local student. You’ll have the support of your host family, a local coordinator, and our partner organization in the host country, who will all be delighted to help you adjust and integrate to your new home. If you can show us responsibility, maturity, and readiness to participate in cultural exchange, we will be honored to help make your high school study abroad adventure possible!

Program Categories
Chinese

Rating Values

Hailey
Franklin

Boston to South Korea: Adventure is out there! (Up reference)

Overall

Before leaving, I had no worries. I was full of excitement and adventure-until I got there. As soon as I landed, I experienced a feeling I never thought would happen to me:culture shock. I thought I knew everything I needed to know about the country, but still I did not feel well and became very nervous the first week I was there. But please do not let culture shock scare you off. I almost wanted to go home because of it. I would have missed out on so many amazing experiences if I left after my first week. The Quest Exchange staff was there for me and after talking to them and getting help from them, I had a great time for the rest of the time that I was there. In fact, it was the best time of my life. I met so many fantastic people. Eventhough there was a language barrier, I still became close with my host families and friends at school and in the end it was hard to leave. I am very glad I got to have this adventure even if it was only for a short time. I will definitely be back in the future. All in all, Quest Exchange was great in making sure I had a safe and fun time while abroad. If you are reading this and considering going abroad I say: Do it and don't let irrational fear stand in your way.

Jonas
Fairfax, California
University of Colorado- Boulder

A great semester in Spain

Overall

Here's some tips, learning a new language is really hard but just have fun with it and it will come, if your teachers feel bad for you they will give you better grades, don't be afraid to talk to random people on the street to make new friends, and if a Spaniard is yelling at you -- that's just how they communicate so get used to it. These are some tips that I picked during my 5 month stay in Spain through Quest. I found Quest while searching for exchange programs for the second half of my senior year. I't turned out Quest was local for me and a great choice. As a smaller company they were able to keep things very personal, leading up to my trip, during my exchange, and after my return. My quest counselor (for lack of a better word) was Mei Jardstrom. From my first information request she kept in contact with me through email, 1 on 1 Skype interviews, and threw my parents. During my time in Spain I mostly worked with the local program for my country but in the background Quest was staying in contact and assisting me throughout my time there. I had a great experience with this program and would highly recommend it if you want a smaller, more personalized experience rather then a large industrial program such as AFS.

The only issue I had was I did not get much assistance while applying for my student visa which is a difficult and confusing fiasco of bureaucracy and long lines.
Provider Response

You're right Jonas that practicing with locals and taking it easy on yourself are key to improving your foreign language. And yes, you may have to adjust to higher volumes while abroad!

We agree that the visa process for Spain is not the most straightforward; we found it difficult to contact the consulate about booking appointments since they outsource their customer service to a different company. Now we are recommending that students secure appointments even before receiving placement information, to avoid any potential backlog.

Thanks for your insight and advice for future students!

Mei

Kaylie
Canyon Lake, TX

Studying in Thailand 2016

Overall

This was truly an experience of a lifetime! There are so many great memories I got to have this summer because of studying abroad. From exploring the Grand Palace, to learning to communicate in Thai, to making new friends, to visiting temples, Thailand has definitely stolen my heart! I think traveling, especially as a high school student, is such an important experience because, at least for me, it has made me so much more confident and excited for the future. Even though the program I participated in was only 2 months long, it gave me insight into living independently, which I can only assume will help in the future. Being exposed to so many new traditions and culture has changed the way I think and see the world. It has allowed me to grow in a way that most people don't ever get to do. I cannot recommend this program enough. I have made so many great memories and lifelong friends and people I can call family, even though they are 1/2 way around the world. If you are looking for a place full of a rich, unique culture, full of happy, kind, and respectful people, the Land of Smiles is a fantastic choice! I think the only advice I can give is to just embrace the opportunity, the opportunity to travel, to be immersed in another culture, and to make lifelong friends. It is an experience of a lifetime that I know I will never forget!

Jessica
Carmel, CA

My Semester Abroad In Italy

Overall

I wanted to study abroad for a variety of reasons. I wanted to experience a new culture, to learn a new language, to dramatically change my environment, and to challenge myself in a completely new way. I studied abroad for the second semester of my junior year in high school. I made the decision to study abroad somewhat last minute, although I knew that making a big jump in my life, especially during high school, was something I had always wanted to do. I researched and even applied to a variety of programs, hoping to make my dream a reality. However, the majority of them were rather expensive, and I knew that if I were to actually go abroad, I would have to do it in a way that would work with my family's budget. I was really lucky to find Quest Exchange, because it was not only affordable, but it allowed me to go in the time frame I had available, and it worked with me in a way that made my dream of going feel possible. I went into their office in San Francisco before and after I left and got to meet with the staff there who were especially nice, and had their contacts the entire time I was abroad. I spent an amazing 5 months with a loving family, exploring numerous Italian cities within the country and surrounding countries, trying new foods, seeing new faces, and learning the language at an excelled yet extremely entertaining pace. I know that studying abroad is a different experience for everyone, especially with so many countries and time frames to choose from, but no matter what, one will always end up making unforgettable memories and growing in new ways, and so I highly recommend any who is interested to take part in this program.

Samantha
Rohr in Niederbayern, Bayern, Deutschland

Rohr in Niederbayern

Overall

I wasn't really sure how I was going to adjust to such a small place like Rohr. As we were driving in after my plane I was still a little anxious, but the town was just so European and beautiful that I didn't even matter how big it was. I finally got to my house which was a bit outside of town, and it was surrounded by trees and flowers and plants. It is probably one of the most fantastic gardens I have seen and it just makes me happy looking at it. My host family is so accommodating and wonderful and I get along with them so well after only three months of being here. It's like I've known them my whole life and I'm so happy to be placed with them. I'm no longer worried about the size of the town that I've been placed in, because all of the friends I've made and the family that I have here make my experience great. The things that matter are the people around you not your actual environment.

Thor
Seattle, Washington

Music, Friends, and Studying Abroad

Overall

I made my first friends at high school during the first day of classes. I had sat at the front of the class so that I could understand the teachers better, but I had no idea who the people sitting next to me were. They had been observing me curiously for most of the first class, and I could tell they were wondering who this American kid who had taken the seat next to them was. Was he a good student, did he have bad hearing, or did he just have no idea what he was doing? As class drew to a close, I drew my courage and meager Spanish skills together, and prepped my brilliant, ice-breaking comment.

"Hola, me llamo Thor, cómo estás...te gusta ACDC?"

Lucia, who was wearing an ACDC t-shirt, nodded and grinned from ear to ear. We started a long conversation about our favorite music, the instruments we played, and the differences between American and Spanish cultures. Before I knew it, I was playing piano and synthesizer in a Spanish band, jamming once a week with some of my best friends ever. We played everything from ACDC to Young the Giant to Coldplay. Along with sharing the universal language of music, I gained some personal tutors for my Spanish, as well as some helpful resources in class.

While the circumstances were unique, this experience was not exclusive during my stay. While there are exceptions, most human beings are eager to learn about the world outside of what they know. Being an exchange student, you can make some of the quickest and best friends of your life. You just have to make that leap and go for it! I promise it will be worth it.

Madison
El Segundo, California
Biola University

Host Sisters Travel to Thailand

Overall

I was placed within the perfect host family in Haarlem, Netherlands. Renate was my host sister and she is my same age. From the beginning we were like real sisters! I call her my "Dutch sister" and she calls me her "American sister". We did everything together when I lived with her.

We became more than sisters, Renate and I are best friends. Studying abroad in the Netherlands for 2 months was not enough time! So the summer after my time abroad I went back to the Netherlands to visit. But that still wasn't enough for Renate and I! So...

This summer Renate I am have booked a 3 week trip to Thailand! We will backpack though Thailand together, just us two. We will be a powerful duo abroad: the Dutch girl and the American girl take Thailand!

I honestly wouldn't change anything! Quest took the time to learn about me so that they could find me the perfect family within the perfect city!
Dannielle
North Carolina

Experience of a Lifetime

Overall

Our son studied in Germany his Sophomore year of high school through Quest Exchange. The staff was incredibly supportive throughout the process of getting him there and then very communicative once he was there. It really put our minds at ease, and we have felt that he was very well taken care of. He is learning so much and becoming so independent that it is well worth missing him. With FaceTime and/or Skype, we're able to talk for free whenever we want and to see his face. It almost feels like he's at summer camp.

No, this program is very well run.
Jessica
The Hague, The Netherlands

Quest Exchange Connecticut ----> The Netherlands

Overall

I decided to spend my senior year abroad of high school using Quest Exchange. Quest is really a program that is what you make of it. They are really supportive and helpful when asked but, willing to stay quiet when the see that you are integrating well. As a minor my mom gets emails every once in a while updating her about how I'm doing and that definitely puts her at ease. Quests prices are significantly lower than other organizations but, that accounts for a.) you have to buy your plane ticket and b.) they are 100% non-profit. Originally, I looked into Quest because of how much less expensive their programs were but, I decided to go abroad with them after seeing their individualistic view. I couldn't imagine my program being any better. I'm living in the city of the hague, making tons of friends and growing in ways I never could have staying home.

Andrew

Plans and Executing Them

Overall

Because airfare is so incredibly cheap between European cities, my host parents got me a ticket to Berlin for my birthday. I was incredibly excited about visiting the capital. It's about a 6 hour car ride, so I wasn't sure I would get to visit until they gave me this plane ticket. I immediately started making a list of all of the sites I wanted to see. I had 11 hours in the city, and I needed to make them count.

Google Maps is an incredible tool. Once I picked my sites, I mapped out my route. Between the bus, trams and subway, I planned to visit Checkpoint Charlie, Gendarmenmarkt, Art Hall, Berliner Dom, Hackesche Hoefe, Bundestag, Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate), Siegessauele, Kaiser Wilhelm Kirche, KaDeWe, Schloss Charlottenburg, and of course, Starbucks.

As the day of my trip got closer, I found myself becoming more and more nervous. I’ve traveled quite a bit in my short 16 years, so I was a little unsure why I was so nervous. My host mother was flying with me to Berlin for work so it couldn’t be the flight. Finding someone who speaks English in Germany is very easy, and by now I’m fluent enough that people ask me if I speak English. The only reason I could think that I might be nervous was the transportation. I take the bus every day to and from school, and at times I take the tram around our city. The only thing our city does not have is a subway, but I’ve taken a subway with my parents. I just could not figure out why I was so nervous.

The nervousness worked in my favor because waking up at 4:00 a.m. to catch our flight was absolutely no problem. We had a nice and easy flight to Berlin, and as I exited the subway for my first stop, I turned around to find myself right in front of Starbucks. It was a great sign that immediately put me at ease. As I sipped my Lebkuchen latte, my new favorite, I watched the sun come up over Checkpoint Charlie. I tried to picture the Berlin wall and imagine what it must have been like to have the city segregated. The concept seemed so foreign that I just couldn’t begin to picture it so I started towards my next destination, the Gendarmenmarkt.

The Gendarmenmarkt was one tram stop up and then a short walk. The square had been set up for a Weihnachtsmarkt. Even though it was early in the morning, the Christmasmarket was so beautiful. There was a wooden fence encompassing the market, and there were little wooden cabins filled with filled with handmade crafts and sweets. Garland wrapped the buildings and Christmas lights hung everywhere.

After viewing the Französischer Dom (French Church), the Deutscher Dom (German Church) and the Konzerthaus (concert hall), which were all quite impressive, I moved on to the Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral). After that, I took the tram to Hackesche Höfe, a mall with a food and craft market. While there, I met lady from London who was selling bamboo speakers. It was nice to talk to her even though it was about a market that sells all hand-made, organic stuff.

Several more stops and some incredible architecture later, I met back up with my host mom for the journey home. As we boarded the plane I realized that my nervousness wasn’t really fear per se as much as a mixture of excitement and anxiety about doing something new and on my own. I may only be 16, but I navigated a major city using my second language and did it successfully. I learned so much in planning the trip and in executing my plan. I will forever be richer for these experiences.

This program was spectacular. The only thing I wish was that it could have been longer!
Laura
Seoul, South Korea

The Best Experience of My Life

Overall

There's a lot to say about a program overseas. Being only 15 it's a really new thing for me and it's undoubtably incredibly scary. I've met more people here in the past few months than I have in my entire time in my home country and I think that's really amazing. It's really special too because you aren't just meeting people because they want to talk to your parents but you're meeting people because they want to talk to, and are genuinely interested in you. I've seen celebrities, met friends from all over the world, and had a world of experiences from things I would never do in my wildest dreams to things I always loved doing but have now had introduced to me in an entirely different light. My favorite thing about all of the trip, and the schooling, and the new people, is an amazing sense of independence, it could be more clearly described as simply a sense of power. I've practically become a new person by being here- going from antisocial and afraid of new experiences to having a sort of "why not I've got to live while I can" sort of attitude and it's really wonderful. I've always wanted to be more outgoing and a adventurous and friendly, and even though I'm still quiet- partially due to a little difficulty with the language barrier - I think within the past few months I've become more of an amazing person than I could have ever imagined being before I left. I've tried all sorts of foods from intestines to banana flavored chips, and I've gotten a lot of friends I know I want to try to keep for life, even when this experience is over and I return home I hope it will stick with me forever.

The communication is a little flawed here and there. We've had a few problems making things a little uncomfortable for me simply because the details didn't get worked out quite as they should have, but the program still works hard to fix it and things are falling into place nicely.
Makenna
Seville, Spain

Living my dream!

Overall

I have been in Seville, Spain for 3 months now and I feel that I have definitely became more independent and mature. There is something about being in a new place with a language that you can hardly speak that will do that to you. I was so lucky to be placed with a host family that always made me feel welcome and was there to help me. My host mom and local coordinator both came with me on my first day of school to make sure I knew what I was doing. The truth is, I had no idea what I was doing. But after a few weeks when I had made some friends, I felt like I had found my new home. My stay in Spain is coming to an end and I am being flooded with mixed emotions. I wish that I could stay longer! Overall, Quest did a great job making sure that I was safe and comfortable. I would highly recommend this program for anyone who wants to improve their Spanish and see the world!

Quest Exchange helps high school students expand their worldview through the adventure of study abroad. As a nonprofit, we are able to make international study possible for more students, with affordable prices and various program lengths from a few weeks to an academic year. We have solid partnerships with trusted receiving organizations, where students are paired with supportive host families and local schools. All of our professional staff members have studied abroad, learned new languages and are passionate about bringing the same opportunity to adventurous, independent and mature high school students.

Related Programs to Explore