Creative Internships in Australia

The ArtBound Initiative (ABI) program connects students and recent graduates with key players in the Melbourne and Sydney creative industry. ABI will help you secure your perfect internship and coordinate all travel logistics (including housing, internship visa, insurance, and more).

Internship destinations available in Australia:
- Melbourne
- Sydney

What types of internships do we offer?

We offer internships in Graphic Design, Marketing, Communications, Social Media, PR, Illustration, Cultural Management, Fashion Design, Film and TV Production, Editorial, Journalism, VFX, Video Editing, Screenwriting, Architecture, Interior Design, and more in both Melbourne and Sydney.

Who will you work with?

Creative and advertising agencies, design studios, architecture firm, Film production companies, creative studios, art galleries, artist studios, fashion designers and more.

• Intern in Melbourne and Sydney and get matched with the best company based on your career goals.
  • Join an international community of creative professionals
  • Become an insider in Melbourne and Sydney: We will send you the best events, venues and Instagram accounts to follow.

Secure an internship in New York this Fall!

Secure your creative internship in New York this Fall!
Application deadline: May 15, 2021.
We know that plans can change during these unpredictable times due to the COVID-19 situation. That’s why the ArtBound Initiative program is flexible and will allow you to postpone your program if needed with no additional fees.

Popular Programs

Creative Internships in Melbourne_Group Photo

From architecture to music, Melbourne is a dynamic hub for all types of creativity. This city is packed with galleries, creative hubs, spectacular street art, a thriving live music scene, and a diverse collection of neighborhoods, all infused with the Australian ‘can-do’ attitude that means it never sits still for a moment.

Creative Internships in Sydney_Photo in Art Gallery

Sydney is a vibrant city with a rich multicultural heritage that contributes to its diverse culture and exciting arts scene. The city has an incredible selection of theaters, galleries, public artworks and fantastic annual events. Sydney is also Australia's undisputed film and television production hub.

• 9-10 rating 66.67%
  • 7-8 rating 33.33%
Matthew

ArtBound Initiative

ArtBound is a fantastic program that I'd recommend to anyone who's able to participate in it. It's helped me become much more confident in both my career trajectory and in myself as an employable individual. The sessions I had with Laura before my internship were so invaluable and helped me build an attractive portfolio and succinct resume. They also allowed me to establish a great working relationship with my employers during my internship, and I felt confident that I would be able to complete tasks to the best of my ability. Ginda was also fantastic at making sure I was on top of all my tasks prior to the internship, and checking in with me during my internship to make sure i was having a great experience.

Jackie Lou

Artbound Initiative

Although I experiences my placement with Artbound Initiative during the pandemic, I still found myself experiencing the workplace environment and social events at a high level. I learnt a lot during my time in my placement and am very grateful to have been able to accept tasks with high responsibility whilst still being able to learn along the way. Coming to a mutual ground of expectations with your employer is a must and has really helped create the foundations for my future in the industry. I have learnt so much in such a short period of time!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Meeting representatives from other companies/suppliers in person for the first time! Just having an understanding of why we are meeting, and setting expectations of how I want to portray the company I am with is key to have a successful and positive meeting with others.
Jasmine

A great experience at Ignition Immersive.

Melbourne is the Arts Capital of Australia, so I was super excited to begin an internship in film here. It was incredibly easy to communicate with Artbound Initiative about what I was looking for in an internship. The coaching sessions with Laura heightened my confidence and allowed me to develop skills that are necessary for interviews and the workplace. Not only that, but the unlimited access to alumni and resources is great.
I ended up interning at Ignition Immersive, a production studio specialising in virtual reality and augmented reality, where I worked as both a camera operator and editor. It was an awesome experience.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Working on a VR livestream show! I was working alongside experts who were also doing this for the first time, so we were all in the same boat.
Benjamin

How VR/AR ia paving the future for apps.

My internship took place at ignition immersive, an immersive media studio specialising in Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality content creation, production and app development.
My main tasks and responsibilities were to assist the Lead 3D Artist in projects with modelling, animating, conceptualising, texturing and implementing assets in game engines.

The internship impacted my career by learning another form of the 3D pipeline, app creation. I have learnt 3D for film, TV, games and now - VR/AR applications for media platforms.

ArtBound Initiative helped me the most by expanding my view on what a 3D Artist career could be. Not knowing about VR/AR companies and just how involved a 3D artist can be was most surprising and completing them was most rewarding.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
To complete a project in half the time we thought it would take.
Kel

The Art Bound Initiative Internship Abroad

ArtBound Initiative is a truly amazing company and their internship programme is ground breaking because it’s exactly what young creatives need. They catered to needs I didn’t even knew I had and not only got me started in my industry but have massively fast tracked my career. They really really care about the participants which is so refreshing and touching! As a participant you have to be dedicated and work very hard to make the best of the opportunities that come your way. The ArtBound Initiative work very hard to make sure you excel.

Internship are supposed to better yourself professionally but also personal. Work as hard as you can because you will get out everything you put in. However, look after yourself. Cut yourself some slack, have fun, experience the city you’re in!
Cheng

Highly recommended!

The ArtBound Initiative (ABI) team has been exceptional from the start. They have helped me secure an internship despite the COVID situation. I would highly recommend the ABI team if you are time poor and need assistance in securing an internship to get real world experience and improve your employability (the initial monetary investment was definitely worthwhile). In addition, they have been an invaluable resource in helping me polish my resume, portfolio, and interview skills. Thank you to the ABI team :)

Julia

Valuable experience!

ArtBound Initiative helped me gained insights, experience, and connections in three months, something that I never thought I would get before joining the ABI program. I found the coaching to be very valuable, and it helped me prepare myself with anything that I need to know before the internship, in which I receive helpful tips and tricks. ABI also helped me with my visa requirements and are very quick and resourceful in the process. I would definitely recommend the program for creatives who want to gain experience in the industry!

Jacob

A great opportunity.

Artbound opened the door to my industry for me through this internship program. I felt confident through their online training, and I learned more than I possibly could have during my university course.

I got to do two separate internships over the summer in different studios, which broadened my experience and provided a tonne of fun challenges. It turned my first steps into the industry from something incredibly intimidating to something I could actually enjoy. All the staff I interacted with at Artbound were also incredibly friendly. Overall, great experience.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Getting to work in a studio environment first-hand was a fascinating experience, not at all what I expected/was daunted by. Everyone was friendly and approachable.