This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Adelante Abroad.
Internships in Costa Rica - Adelante Abroad

Internships in Costa Rica - Adelante Abroad

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Adelante Abroad.
Save $150 During International Education Week
In honor of IEW, all new applicants who apply by November 17th get $150 off toward their 2018 Spring internship (February – May)!

Spend 2-6 months in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Spain, or Uruguay. Customized placements, housing, and Spanish language courses included in program costs.

San Jose is the epicenter of economic and political activity in Costa Rica. Based on that notion alone, there may not be a better place to participate in an international internship and jump-start your professional career!

Develop professional skills with relevant work experience that will help build your professional network. Language, cultural immersion, and academic credit are some key factors that candidates can take advantage of. Gap year students, undergraduates, and post-graduate candidates have the opportunity to boost their portfolio with international work experience.

Attention ENVIRONMENTAL candidates:

We offer placements in different NGO's, the National Park System, and the Veragua Rainforest Natural Park Reserve itself! These internships allow you to assist in environmental impact and conservation projects, tropical ecology, sustainable development, marine biology, species monitoring or other environmentally based projects!

• Adelante's program offers the best value for your money. Housing and meals are included in the affordable cost, with an independent living option you wish to live separately from the housing provided.
  • The list of companies participating in Adelante's program is rapidly growing each month. All companies are screened before being added to the program to ensure you a valuable and productive internship experience.
  • English-speaking Adelante counselors are there for you 24/7 and will serve as a valuable resource for you during your time in San Jose.
  • Take advantage of Costa Ricas natural beauty with excursion trips. Trips to Manuel Antonio National Park, Arenal Volcano/Hot Springs, and a Canopy tour are just some examples of what Adelante's program offers.
  • Prior to departure, Adelante will prep and provide you with city and tourist information, transportation and communication details, and maps of the city. Upon arrival, Adelante arranges for you to be picked up and taken to your lodging.
North America » Costa Rica » San José
Weekly Hours
Weeks Min.
Weeks Max
Application Fee
This Adelante program includes a volunteer or internship placement in your sector of interest, airport pick up, housing, 2 weeks of intensive Spanish classes, and 24/7 access to your local Program Director.

Julia
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio University

Internship in Costa Rica!

I did the 4 month program in Costa Rica with Adelante Abroad and loved every minute of it. I graduated collge in May of 2016 and had not done an internship yet so I started to look up internships in Costa Rica and found Adelante´s website. From the very beginning eveyone was very helpful and informational. After I applied, I heard back right away and then made my plans to go. I came with my best friend from college which was very important in our serach to find the right program to go through.
Internship:
Adelante partners with Universidad Veritas in Zapote which is still technically considered San Jose but about 15 minutes outside the center of the city. It is a great location because it is much cleaner and safer. It is also walking distance to San Pedro which in my opnion has the best night life in the area because there are a lot of universities located in San Pedro therefore you can go out and meet locals your own age. I took two intensive spanish courses before being placed in my internship. Adelante was really good about questioning you on the things you want to accomplish in the work place before making your placement. I graduated with a communication degree and a minor in Spanish. I was placed in the Study Abroad office of the University I attended for the first two months which was a perfect fit. The people in my office were great and I lived super close to where I worked. I definitely feel like this internship is something I can put on my resume!
Homestay:
Absolutely amazing, I lived with my best friend in a house with a mamatica very very close to the University. She cooked great food and was very welcoming. She made it very clear that her home was our home. We were a little nervous going into a homestay because we were 22 years old and have not lived with a ¨mom¨ in over 4 years so we were worried about being able to keep our independence. We got lucky with our mamatica because she was on the old side so she was around when we needed her but stayed to herself for the most part. She was awesome because she only spoke Spanish so we got a lot of practice with her.
Overall:
Costa Rica was an amazing experience and I would have stayed forever if I could. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning a new language and culture. I am definitely going to take away so much from this experience!

The only thing I can think of for this program to be improved upon is that if you are doing a program for more than 3 months you need to leave the country to renew your tourist visa. It was kind of a stressful experience to travel by bus and cross the border alone and I am fluent in Spanish. I think it would be even more difficult if you were not fluent in Spanish. Maybe have one of the included excursions be one that leaves the country for the weekend. They offer excursions to Nicaragua and Panama in the travel agency at the Univeristy but they are expensive and I could not afford to pay them to take me but if it is something that I had already paid for before coming here that would make a huge difference.

Madelyn
Wadsworth, Ohio

Study/Internship Abroad

I participated in 2 months of Spanish courses and 2 months of internship at Universidad Veritas. What an amazing experience! The staff at Veritas was super friendly, helpful, and accessible. The professors were wonderful both inside and outside the classroom and it was great doing my internship with the University's social psychologist.
My homestay was very clean and only a short 5 minute walk to campus. Mama Tica also made la comida más rica! On the weekends I traveled to the beautiful beaches and explored the rainforests. What a beautiful country with amazing people. I loved this experience!

Shakera
Atlanta GA
College of Wooster

What an AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!

This was an amazing overall experience. If you are one of those people who are only looking for a vacation THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!!! Some things did feel very relaxing like a "vacation" but this experience is one that will allow you to dive into the culture of Costa Rica. There are times where you may be uncomfortable, or times where you find that things are a bit "weird" or "different" but trust it is all a part of this amazing experience! I would not change ANYTHING about my trip!!!

I had some problems with my class starting before I even got in Costa Rica. Perhaps more specific communication with the school and student before departure could help!

ESTEVAN
Stockton california
Fijian

Pura Vida!!! My Costa Rica experience

My name is Estevan and I am a recent graduate of San Diego State's International Business program. Part of our program's graduation requirement is to do a study abroad and internship; I decided to do them simultaneously by doing a 250 hour internship abroad. I was referred to Adelante Abroad by a friend I had met in my classes who was also looking to fulfill the requirement. I was lucky to be able to submit a late application ( I am quite the procrastinator), as it was less than 60 days before the start date of the program. Ellie, Kimberly and all the Adelante staff were all really helpful in expediting the process with good communication; they even made arrangements to put me with the same host family as my friend Ricky (my classmate that referred me). I was nervous and excited because this would be the first time I have ever traveled anywhere independently.

I didnt exactly start out the trip on the right foot because I missed my initial flight out and had to grab the next flight out the following morning. Adelante arranges for you to be picked up at the airport but since I missed my flight, I took a taxi to my host family's house ( I had her contact info and she told me how to get to her house ). I speak Spanish, so I think my first initial and possibly only instance of 'culture shock' was the ride to the place where I was going to be staying. It was dark and the driver seemed real intent on getting me there because he was going pretty fast, and the whole uncertainty of where I was going started to set in. I have to admit, upon first sight, San Jose isn't the most elegant or inviting city (although most places dont look too inviting at night) - but I really felt at ease once I finally arrived at what would be my home for the next 3 months. My host family greeted me with open arms upon my arrival, my friend Ricky was already there and settled in, and the lady of the house Dona Maritza had dinner waiting for me. I met everyone at dinner, including my other roommates which included another exchange student as well as Maritza's kids Luis (25) and Mariana (10).

The trip included two weeks of intensive spanish courses, which began the morning after my arrival; they were conducted at a great graphic design college called Veritas that was just a few blocks walking distance from our house. This became a sort of home base for me and ricky because this is where you will meet all of your new friends. The neighborhood where our house and school was at was really safe and there was never any problem with walking to and from (even at night). You take an assessment the first day to be placed in the appropriate proficiency level; the class you are placed in is really engaging and gives you the opportunity to make a lot of new friends. I was placed in the most advanced class, but they are very flexible and because I had already taken a similar class, they let me transfer to an elective historical class which was of more interest to me. Veritas really does a great job of making you feel welcome, Esteban was our Adelante English speaking liaison at the school and was always there to help.
Once my classes were finished, I was given my internship assignment; I was to be a intern for an export/import company about a block away from the school. This internship was a great experience for me, the one thing I got the most out of was using a high level of spanish every single day. I assisted in general administrative tasks, client relations, market research, and logistics. The company did their own distribution all over the city and even to neighboring areas, I was often able to accompany the driver and see all of the clients and help with delivery. This gave me the opportunity to see almost the entire city, as well as surrounding cities. Don Manuel, Laura, Andres, Dona Sida, y Don minor were all the people I worked with at Importadora Roma and they were truly amazing, good people who genuinely cared about me and did their best to make my experience an enjoyable one. One tragic event occurred during my stay in Costa Rica and Adelante really showed how great of a company they are. The son of Don Manuel, Andres, whom I had the pleasure of briefly working with decided to take his own life. Esteban from Veritas and Kimberly/Ellie of Adelante were quick to reach out to me and make sure that I was doing ok, even offering counseling through Veritas if needed. I found that to be an awesome gesture and really appreciated the level of support offered. I attended the funeral and was also personally taken out by Don Manuel and we had a really good conversation on the situation. I was happy to know that although he was deeply hurt, he was at peace and his son was at peace. This was a really eye opening experience and made me really take a look at my life and how thankful I am for everything and everyone in it. Aside from this tragic event, my internship was a really great, fulfilling experience and I came back speaking a high level of Spanish while also learning how a small business works internally. On my last day of work, I treated everyone to a wonderful dinner at a Peruvian restaurant; I know that from this experience I have made friends for life.
On to the greatest part of the trip, the weekend excursions and social life! PURA VIDA!!! thats all I can say...pura freakin vida. The trip included two weekend excursions, the first was to Puerto Viejo. Puerto Viejo is a beach town on the Caribbean side of the country and honestly one of the most awesome places ive had the pleasure of visiting. Me and Ricky took a six hour bus ride, in which we met people who would become our good friends and nightlife crew for the rest of the trip. Everyone was from different places in the states, we even had a few people from canada. We went snorkeling, swimming, dancing, drinking and just had a blast in general. The next weekend we went to natural hot springs and ziplining. The hot springs were in a water park/hotel of sorts and was a lot of fun...it was in front of a active volcano!!!! you could see the lava shooting out of the top, it was pretty exhilarating. The next day we visited waterfalls in the middle of this wildlife sanctuary, took a boat ride and then arrived in Monteverde for ziplining. Ziplining was crazy fun, flying far above a rainforest and yelling at the top of your lungs can be a pretty liberating thing!
Luis our Tico (what they call the costa ricans, ticos and ticas) brother would show us around san jose when we were at home on the weekend and we would go bar hopping with all of the friends we met during our excursions. We went out about 2 or 3 times a week and got to see alot of cool places.
I also wanted to add how amazing my host family was, it was like a home away from home! They truly care about you as if you were one of their own. Dona Maritiza is truly one of the kindest ladies I have ever met and I will always consider her and everyone in her household family. She took care of me when I got a really bad fever (I thought I had dengue yikes!) and Adelante also made sure to keep in constant contact with my parents to make sure I was doing well and that no further actions were needed. Luis is my brotha from another mother and mariana like a little sister. They really showed me a ton of love and I cannot wait to go back and see my Tico family!
All in all, I have to say Costa Rica was the greatest decision I have ever made in my life and I can thank Adelante for providing a safe, extremely fun learning experience. I will never forget the time I spent in Costa Rica and I look forward to the day when I get to return. ( I am also hoping to do another one of Adelante's internships...possibly barcelona or montevideo). PURA VIDA ADELANTE!!

ricalski
OC
Fijian

Fun and Educational

Very hot. Very friendly people. Could rain a lot. Great food. Great staff. Social scene was fun, just find the right crowd. LOTS of mosquitos...

Do not yell very loud english in the middle of the night when you are leaving bars and clubs. Do your best to learn the spanish there, they are all very helpful.

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure to provide a travel program that's right for you!