CISabroad - Intern in Ecuador

On CISabroad’s Intern in Ecuador program, you may find yourself working on a sustainable farm or developing educational curriculum for at-risk children. You could also intern at an orphanage, work in community development, or learn the ropes in a medical facility. Whatever your placement in Ecuador, you’ll gain professional work experience tailored to your skills and interests. And, you’ll receive strong staff support throughout the program. There’s no better way to boost your résumé, improve your Spanish, and fall in love with this enchanting country.

• Internships available in urban and rural settings, including Quito, the jungle, the coast, and the Galapagos
  • Intensive Spanish language course in Quito included in your program
  • Incredible weekend excursions—visit the lush coast, trek in the mountains, or sit in the shadow of a volcano
  • Strong on-site support from our site director
  • At least one meal per day included

Kristen

Ecuador: An Unforgettable Experience

During my two months in Ecuador, I taught English in a K-12 Catholic school in Quito. My project, which was to incorporate technology and new pedagogy in the classroom, also earned me credit for a Linguistics practicum--an experience that simply could not be replicated had I chosen to complete it at my home institution. I worked from 7-1:30 each day and then took two hours of Spanish classes. Another subsidiary goal was to become fluent in Spanish--through this program, I believe I have achieved that. Although I had taken numerous collegiate level Spanish classes and even spent some time in Spain, I credit the immersive host family setting and also speaking Spanish with colleagues at my school as the two most important factors for my success. Although plenty of people had warned me about safety issues in Ecuador, I was placed in a very safe neighborhood and experienced no problems. Since Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I was never without a theater performance, movie, or some cultural activity to sate my interests. For the nature lovers, Ecuador is the perfect scene of biodiversity and abounds with opportunities for hiking. Also, in general, Ecuadorians are the most compassionate people I have ever met--as evidenced by my very large and gift-laden going away party. After returning to the States, I've started to think about how soon I can go back to Ecuador.

The only rough spot in my trip was when I decided to have my orientation one week later than normal to accommodate other students. This meant that I had to figure out how to navigate the (very large) city on my own, but I am thankful I chose to do this--during my first weekend in Ecuador, I got to celebrate the 5th birthday of my host family's grandson, and also Mother's Day the following day--two endearing experiences.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...