Creative Internship in Berlin

ArtBound Initiative
ArtBound Initiative
ArtBound Initiative Berlin

ArtBound Initiative (ABI) offers customized internships for students and recent graduates in New York, London, Berlin and Hong Kong. With an expansive network of leading art & design organizations, ArtBound Initiative provides access to creative industries that are notoriously insular. ABI offers year-round internships from 2 months up to a year.

ABI offers creative internships across disciplines and industries. Depending on your desired career path, we place interns in advertising, design, film, fashion, fine arts, performing arts, communications, marketing, public relations, events programming, and more.

• Internship in Berlin: work with an artist, gallery, art center, creative agency, magazine, festival..
  • Expand your network: attend our events and meet industry professionals
  • Be an insider: we will give you access to the local art scene and latest events.

Adriana

ABI Creative internship in Berlin

The ABI crew are really helpful and supportive. They're also pretty much available all the time and their response time is really quick. It's cool that they always organise gallery visits and meet ups for the interns. Through this you get to meet other artists and it makes the whole experience more comfortable.
I was working with two artists, a painter and a performance artist. The overall experience was great. I have learnt a lot of practical skills and now have contacts in Berlin that I can contact any time and I know that they will be supportive and give me the best advice. The artists are really friendly and welcoming. It didn't feel like I was working for them but with them which makes a huge difference. And I really enjoyed the fact that they allowed me to be involved in their work.

Maybe consider to have shared accommodation for all the interns in one place. Also more gallery trips? and maybe the fee of the program?
Rose

ABI is AMAZING!

From helping me find a great internship placement to getting the chance to meet and network with amazing people, ABI has helped me in so many different ways. I am more comfortable working in an arts environment, with skills that prove that I am capable of good work. The idea of moving through this industry is no wonder daunting. With connections now abroad, I can start to create that professional network that is so vital in this industry.
I was placed with Momentum Worldwide located in Kunstquartier Bethanien, Berlin. They are a non for profit gallery that centres around time-based art and video art. It was founded by Rachel Rits-Volloch back in 2. I ran both their Instagram and Facebook pages, creating content and establishing a media schedule that promoted their exhibition Water(Proof). I also helped organise the exhibitions, contacting artists on a daily basis. I also got the opportunity to interview artists in their studios as another way to provide content for the gallery.I really enjoyed this as it was a way to network and establish connections, but also a way for me to improve my writing skills.
My confidence has grown so much because of this internship. While before I would have said that I think I am good at something, I can now say that I am good at it. I have also met some amazing people in Berlin, through meeting the other interns in ABI but also with my work in Momentum Worldwide. Having these connections will help me find future internships or work.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Moving abroad for the first time was pretty scary and I was scared I would be loney, but ABI helped so much with connecting you with the other ABI interns and creating events or meet-ups so I never felt alone!
harriet

Artbound Initiative Berlin Internship

It was an amazing 2 months in which I earned many friends, experience and mentors. Berlin has become somewhere that I would relocate myself into since I enjoyed the art scene and my internship with the duo Jeschkelanger very much. I learned many things, gained many connections and also experience in surviving in the art world. As a student, it is difficult to get to know people actually in the current art scene and Artbound managed to get me smack bam in the middle of it, which I will always be grateful of. This experience has landed me in Venice at the moment, to participate with the duo in the Venice Biennale as their collaborator. As a person that assumed to be their intern, it was an amazing opportunity for me to collaborate as an artist to artist. I thank them very much and also Artbound for introducing me to these amazing people. Totally recommend to any student or person out there, wanting to not only further their career but gain a lifetime experience.

Norah

Berlin Internship

I had a great time interning in Berlin. I'm greatful to the Artbound team for helping me gain experience in the Berlin film Industry. I got to work on the set of a feature film where I met some incredible people. I worked in the office most of the time and got to analyse film scripts which I enjoyed the most.

I stayed in an amazing apartment building with students from all around the world. I chose to stay in a studio apartment but there are options for shared living if that works better for you.

The public transport is easy to use and I was able to travel between home and work pretty easily.

I had weekends off which allowed me to travel around Germany and learn more about the country's history.

I would recommend interning in Berlin. The experience is invaluable and one I will never forget.

Providing more financial assistance for living costs such as accommodation. The cost of the program is high.
Madeleine

Professional support and unique networks through ABI

ABI came along at a time when I was having great difficulty moving ahead in my early career within the arts in Australia. Offering the opportunity to gain international experience through a tailored internship, I was paired with an independent art house with an artist residency program in Berlin. This has been an invaluable experience, allowing me to utilize my skills as well as take initiative and explore varied responsibilites as a valued member of the team at my placement art house. ABI listened to my professional goals and interests and made sure to communicate with me through the entire internship process. The ABI program renewed my motivation and determination to forge a more defined arts career, and the support through the process of pre-departure (visa, travel arrangements, required documents) was excellent. As a result of my internship in Berlin, coordinated and supported by ABI, I am now pursuing a Freelance Arts Manager career in Berlin longer-term. I would recommend ABI for anyone who is seeking a more dynamic professional internship experience, and who is ready to apply themselves to make the most of the invaluable creative networks ABI provides.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would make sure I was aware of my own expectations and had strategies in place to deal with the more difficult, unexpected moments.
Shadi

One of the best investments towards my future

ABI’s program has made establishing a career in a foreign country extremely easy. They had me lined up for various interviews and managed to get me a placement within a few days of the application process. After interning for 6 months, I’m now employed full time at the studio I was placed in. Career advancement is only a small part of what they offer us, I was regularly contacted to meet with directors and producers 1on1 as well as go to studio and gallery visits. Their program is designed to cover more than just the basics, offering us a large network, regularly checking in on us, and being there to help with any issues, be it professional, or personal. It truly is a full package and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to kickstart a career in a new place.

Tabia Calligenia

Perfect for Professional Development

ABI is the agency to go to if you decide to go into the arts field - local or abroad. Their support prior to your departure will help you throughout your career, not just the internship. The activities they provide to get in touch with the community there are rewarding too. My experience at Klemm's and DECAD are both valuable. I have the chance to work on solid gallery tasks like creating social media content to proposing art happenings for exhibitions. Good luck!

Carrie

Contemporary Art Magazine in Berlin

The Artbound team helped me tailor my resume and feel more confident about going out into the work force. It also helped give me contacts and experience in the contemporary art world. The Artbound team helped me feel comfortable when I was in Berlin by setting up my housing and providing information about metro tickets, health insurance, etc. The team set up a couple of events where I got to meet with curators and artists based in Berlin. I also had a lot of free time to either travel or go to events in Berlin on the weekends.

I worked with a company called Bpigs. The people I worked with were really friendly and welcoming. I was able to learn a lot about the administrative side of the contemporary art world as well as the ins and outs of publishing an online magazine. Overall, the Artbound Initiative program provided an exciting and fun learning experience for me this summer, and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in going into a creative field.

More people can join it! I would have loved to have more people from the program to hang out with in abroad.
Georgia

Life Changing

ABI is an amazing opportunity as a young art student. I have grown so much as an artist because of this experience! I loved it and plan on doing another one in NY. You can’t put a price on an opportunity like this. ABI was so helpful not only the internship but the preparation for it. Very lucky to have been placed in Berlin with an amazing established painter Erik Schmidt. Can’t wait for my next trip really looking forward to getting to know a new city.

Ena-Meghan

One of the best experiences of my life

ArtBound Initiative went above and beyond for me. They found me a great placement and made the transition to Berlin seamless, taking the time to listen to my needs, and helping me get established here. The truly opened the doors to Berlin for me. I give it my highest recommendation! If your looking to intern in NYC, Berlin, Or Hong Kong, Look no further, Seriously. The best part is now I have a Network of new contacts and they introduce me to new contacts, even now having completed the program. They are for all the creative industries and that shows in the variety of my fellow alumni whom are also gems. Even better most of us got hired right out of our internship. We couldn't have done that without the amazing coaching of the ArtBound Initiative Team. Thank you!

Honestly I can't think of anything they were that good
Cecile

I had the best time in Berlin!!!

ArtBound found me an 3 month internship with a gallery in Berlin. My supervisors were awesome and we stayed in touch. I met really cool artists. ArtBound's advisors took the time to get to know my personality better before suggesting this internship and it was right on! I asked to stay in my own place so they found me a nice studio in Kreuzberg. They organized studio visits of artists and a gallery tour during my stay. Miss Berlin!

About ArtBound Initiative

ArtBound Initiative is dedicated to emerging creative professionals. Our mission is to encourage connections between participants, industry leaders and global companies. Strengthened by our network of over 150 companies, ABI provides the opportunity...