IES Internships Rome Summer – Internship

The Pantheon
Intern Abroad in Rome with IES Abroad!
Some of my favorite experiences came from traveling off the beaten path
Intern Abroad in Rome with IES Abroad!
Students' work from my internship
Intern Abroad in Rome with IES Abroad!

Intern at the international intersection of culture and business while learning a second language. Although it’s one of the oldest cities in Europe, Rome is booming with tourism, service, high-tech, banking, and research companies, not to mention it’s the hub for the Italian film industry.

An IES internship develops your professional skills, your ability to communicate across cultures, and provides substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today’s competitive job market.

• Before you go, we work with you to fine-tune your rsum, perfect your cover letter, and hone your communication and interview skills as we prepare you for working in a new cultural environment.
  • You'll be guaranteed a placement at a local business or organization where you will work up to 40 hours a week.
  • Develop your professional skills and gain substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today's competitive job market.
  • Live with other IES interns, or have the option of living with a local university student, which provides more opportunities to engage in local culture and activities.
  • Get to know Rome through extracurricular activities and cultural events.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Hi Adhish, the programs are unpaid, but for academic credit (you can earn up to 9 credits on the Rome program).

Sol

Ciao Roma!

Interning in Rome was the most life-changing experience for me. I got to intern at Livitaly which is one of the leading tourism companies in Italy that specializes in giving small tours all around the country. Through this internship, I got to learn so much about Italian culture and was able to absorb it all in. Through this amazing company, I was able to see Rome and Italy in general in a new perspective. Not only did I learn to adapt to a new work environment and culture but I also learned a lot about myself and improved my cultural intelligence. The internship seminar was also very helpful and insightful. I gained worldwide skills that you can't learn back at home, and I was also able to attend networking events and met professionals who come from all over the world and found themselves working in Rome. Overall the people working for IES are what really makes this program great! Without them, I would have never experienced something as phenomenal as this. If you're looking for your chance to elevate yourself professionally, definitely come and see what the world has to offer you!

Go into this program with an open mind. No matter what you do, this program will change you in some way so it is up to you to be open to the changes and roll with it.
Michelle

National Institute of Health Internship Abroad

Recently I studied abroad which is an experience that propelled my passion for global health, microbiology, traveling, and human rights. The combination of those interests are unique, but I was enlightened about each of them in my work experience abroad. I was a research intern at the National Institute for Health, Migration and Poverty. There I aided in research of candida cell infections and the effects of LAMP and IP3 antibodies on autophagy. I also took the minutes of meetings for the European Network for Health Inequalities where I learned about the actions put into place by doctors and health officials within the the European Union to educate about the rights to access health care and other global health initiatives. I learned so much during my time spent at the National Institute for Health, Migration and Poverty and it motivated me even more for my future. In regards to social life, I traveled around Italy and surrounding countries in good company. I met amazing friends in my program who I made amazing memories with and who I still stay in contact with. My living situation and learning atmosphere were nothing less than ideal. I absolutely loved being immersed in Italian culture in an apartment in Rome. Everything about my internship experience with IES Abroad was enriching and surreal.

I wish I had more preparation about getting to and from my internship the first day. I was worried about navigating through a foreign city alone.
Sondra

A Storybook Summer in Rome

I was over 4,000 miles away from home, working in an ancient city filled with passion, history, and adventure. The IES Rome Summer Internship Program gave me the opportunity to broaden my horizons, and grow as a person. I worked at a small boutique company next to the Pantheon with co-workers who spoke mainly Italian. From about 20 or more choices of companies IES felt fit my interests and hobbies, I chose the internship that was business focused and would help me improve my Italian language skills. I worked on translations on websites, counting inventory, and communicating with the customers. The relationships I formed with my bosses and co-workers became very strong, and I maintain my connections today through Skype and and other forms of social media.

The program lasted about two months, and in those two months I traveled throughout Italy, formed new friendships, and adapted to a different culture. The apartment I lived in helped immerse me into the Italian culture, and the social and nightlife scenes expanded my knowledge and admiration of the wonderful city.

The staff at IES was helpful in so many ways, which really helped my overall experience. Whether it be asking for directions or advice on where to eat, or even a medical concern, the staff was there and available every second of the day. They truly helped make sure you were enjoying your experience and making the most of it.

One piece of advice on travel luggage I would suggest is to make sure you have room for bringing gifts and souvenirs home. I came over with a pair of towels and sheets with the knowledge I was leaving them there, which gave me more room for gifts when I returned home.

All in all, I was more than delighted with the program and would recommend it to any and everyone. If you are looking for a program that will help you grow professionally and personally, allow you to explore and travel new cities, and create relationships and memories that will last a lifetime, this is the program for you!

The cell phone situation was not the best, for we needed a cell phone for the program, however I think there could have been a better way to go about it. I ended up signing a cell phone plan for my time there, but I wish I knew more options before I went, for it would have saved me a decent amount of money.
Read my full story
Sarah

Interning in the Heart of Rome

I had an amazing time through this program. There were dozens of internship options to fit the needs of each and every student selected. I had the opportunity to work with an amazing Italian ceramist, where I was able to truly immerse myself within the Italian work culture and gain invaluable professional experience!

The staff and courses were also great. The day trips and programming offered a unique way to explore the city and live life the Roman way.

While the housing available was great, the roommate grouping could use some work.
Read my full story

Leonardo da Vinci
( FCO )
Ciampino–G. B. Pastine International
( CIA )

Italy in general is known for its "Dolce Vita" lifestyle that keeps people in a state of never-ending bliss while traveling here. In Rome you will experience ancient ruins, all of the pasta you can stomach, and timeless works of art.

Alumni Interviews

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...