Teach English and Study Arabic in Palestine

Teach English and Study Arabic in Palestine

By The Excellence Center in Palestine Reviewer Verified Badge   Reviews (10)   91% Rating

The Teach English and Study Arabic (TESA) Program provides visitors from all over the world the opportunity to live in the Palestinian city of Hebron and to experience daily Palestinian life while working as an Intern with the Excellence Center (EC).

As an Intern you will be provided with 3 hours of conversational Arabic a week. During your time in Palestine as an Intern, you will give some language classes and provide administrative assistance to the Center while at the same time that you are immersing yourself in Palestinian culture. Our program participants teach courses focusing on conversational English. Previous teaching experience is preferred but not essential.

As an Intern you will live with a Palestinian host family (availability permitting), and visit historical sites, local industries, universities, and refugee camps in the city of Hebron. The Excellence Center does everything possible to make our Interns feel at home so that you have a wonderful time in Palestine

• The programs offers you a stay with a Palestinian host family
  • Teach English and Speak Arabic program provides you the opportunity to learn spoken Arabic
  • International Interns will have the opportunity to meet Palestinian university and school students as well as community members
  • Participants will have the opportunity to learn in depth about the ongoing Israeli occupation
  • International Interns will have the opportunity to experience Palestinian Culture and live the daily life in Hebron, Palestine. Moreover, Participant will have the opportunity to travel around Palestine
Asia » Palestine
Phone / Skype Interview
Weekly Hours
$0.00/week
Cost Description
The program fees include: pre-departure support, accommodation with a host family, some meals, full coordination while interning in Palestine, some visits to different sites in the city of Hebron.

You can volunteer for a few week or months. I volunteered for 2.5 months one volunteer was there for 4 months I think.

Rating Values

Brian
London

Volunteering in Hebron

All in all I would say it was a great experience. The staff are extremely welcoming and social, always ready to help out. It was my first time teaching, and it was very fun! They throw you right into it, and provide you with materials to teach. They arrange tours to different places, so to experience craftsmanship, historic places or other interesting things. I would recommend for everyone to go there.

Housing should be improved.

Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for leaving a review. We also appreciate your efforts during the two months that you spent at the Excellence Center. Concerning housing, the Excellence Center administration enhanced it a lot. We bought many new things and fixed the apartment.

We hope to see you in the near future in Palestine. We wish you all the best

EC Staff

Alessandro
Rome

My experience at the Excellence Center in Hebron, Palestine

I’m Alessandro Cordova, from Italy. I’m 21 years old and I study Intercultural Communication in the University of Rome, to get a future job in the field of International Cooperation for Development and Humanitarian Aid.
I participated in the TESA program because I wanted to get an insight view on the Palestinian issue and reality, because I wanted to improve my Arabic both through lessons and real-life communication and because I wanted to live an amazing life experience that could make me grow academically and personally.
Hebron is a safe city, easily comparable to many European towns. I was positively impressed by the incredibly low rate of micro criminality in the streets. I never felt to be in a dangerous city, not even at night. The situation in the old center of the can be surprising at a first sight, because of the presence of soldiers in the streets, but I never felt threatened by that. This applies to basically every city in the West Bank. They’re all normal and beautiful cities, full of life and amazing things, absolutely not a war zone.
I would recommend learning Arabic before coming here basically because the direct contact with Palestinians is an essentially important part of the experience. Moreover, even if starting from a basic level, living and studying here is the chance to get an incomparable improvement, especially in oral communication skills.
My best memories in Hebron are the visits to Umm Abed, a woman living in the center of the city. I just loved hearing all her stories and tasting her amazing handmade food, prepared with lots of love. I loved to see how genuinely happy she was every time we visited her.
I tried to learn some Dabka steps, but unfortunately I didn’t have enough patience for that. But for sure I’m willing to learn Maqluba recipe before going back home. Maybe from Umm Abed herself.

The program could be improved basically improving the communication between students and center managers and raising (at least in my own personal experience) the quality of the services provided, such as housing. Moreover, the organization and the planning of the whole program needs an update, in order to ensure volunteers a better experience in Palestine and at the Center.

Dear Alessandro,

Thank you for your great work at the Excellence Center and for leaving a review.

We will take your suggestion in our consideration and we promise to enhance the accommodation conditions very soon.

We wish you all the best, we really appreciate your efforts at the Excellence Center very much. We hope to meet you again in Palestine

Niccolò
Rome, Italy

My stay at the Excellence Center

I did not know what to expect before coming here in Hebron. I had been told a lot of scary things about Palestine: the rough airport check, the security, the food... I had none of these problems!
My airport check was fine and went smoothly, and I never felt in danger here in Hebron and the staff was eager to handle any kind of problem I had (small or big).
The flat I was given was not one of the best flats I could expect, but that did not influence my staying here at the center!

During my free days I was able to explore almost every corner of Palestine, and the staff here is very flexible when it comes to working hours and days off.

Here you will meet many kind, warm and welcoming people. I really feel like I boosted my Arabic a lot, and I would definitely recommend this internship to someone!!!

Provide a better housing

Dear Niccolo,

Thank you so much for your wonderful work during this summer. We appreciate it very much.

We promise to take your suggestions in our consideration. We wish you all the best and hope to see you soon at the Excellence Center in Hebron, Palestine

Greetings from all of us :)

Damir
Detroit
Tufts University

"You are welcome to Palestine!"

There is always some apprehension and anxiety when traveling abroad. Especially to a place you have never visited before. This is perfectly understandable. However, I want to relieve some of those anxieties for people.

I volunteered two months at the Excellence Center teaching four classes and taking Arabic lessons. On my off days, I traveled throughout Palestine. Managing your time and preparing your lesson plans ahead of time is crucial to keeping students engaged. The staff will provide you with lesson plans depending on the student level you will be teaching. Furthermore, the staff encourages the volunteers to come up with their own creative ways to keep the lessons interesting and fun (games, field trips, etc).

I understand safety is big concern for many who are contemplating coming to Palestine. For the two months I stayed in Palestine, I personally have never felt threatened or in danger. It goes with out saying, staying out of trouble will most likely keep you out of trouble. One will have to get accustomed to seeing soldiers and checkpoints throughout Palestine but after a couple weeks you'll adjust to your surroundings.

Traveling is pretty organized and efficient. The cabs in Hebron are affordable and dependable. There are shared service vans you can take to different parts of Palestine -- Bethlehem, Ramallah, Nablus, etc. Going into Jerusalem and Israel will require you to take a bus, which you can do in Bethlehem. All this transportation is reasonably affordable. In addition to traveling on personal time, the staff at the EC will also take you on weekly field trips to areas in Hebron and around it. You'll get an insightful opportunity to meet the locals and hear their stories.

No need to overpack personal hygiene things. You can purchase everything upon your arrival in Hebron. It's Palestine's most populous city with bustling businesses and shops throughout.

People are INCREDIBLY friendly and hospitable. This type of generosity is very common in the Middle East and Muslim-majority countries. As an international you'll stick out like a sore thumb but this is no reason to fear. People will ask you in the streets where are you from and after you tell them, you'll get the same response, "welcome to Hebron! welcome to Palestine!"

There are certain cultural differences, of course, that volunteers need to be aware off. I would recommend during the interview process the staff should clarify these to the prospective volunteers. For example, you shouldn't have alcohol in your apartment. Men and women volunteers living in separate housing and the staff strongly encourages that this stays as such. Women volunteers will most likely stay with a host family. These host families should be thoroughly vetted and properly compensated. One will have to get used to the "dress code" in a Muslim-majority country. Modest dressing is advised, for men and women.

Hi Damir,

Thank you so much for the review. We are very glad to read it. You did amazing work at the Excellence Center in Hebron, Palestine. We wish you all the best and we hope to see you soon in Palestine

Cara
Grand Rapids, MI

Welcome, Welcome to Hebron!

I’m currently completing my second experience teaching with the Excellence Center in Hebron, Palestine. I initially came to Palestine to teach for one month in the fall of 2015, when I first fell in love with the bustle of Hebron’s streets and the warmth of its people. I returned to teach again for two months this spring, and will complete my time at the Excellence Center in just a few days.

I wholeheartedly recommend that others come to have this volunteer experience as well. The curriculum that we’re expected to teach at Excellence is interactive, and I’ve loved getting to know my students during the past two months. The local Arab staff are kind and supportive, and eager to help with any potential issues that volunteers might have in adapting to the culture or in settling in with host families. Hebron is beautiful, with gorgeous hillsides surrounding the city and an incredible Old City, that in Palestine is rivalled only by Jerusalem in terms of size and style.

Although Hebron is famous for being a center of Palestinian-Israeli tension, I’ve learned that there is so much more to this city than conflict. It’s a city of amazing people, who continue to welcome me into their homes. They have housed me, given me shoes, and shared countless cups of coffee and tea. It’s a city of generous and patient people who help me when I’m lost, feed me when I’m hungry, and give me roses from their gardens when I’m sad. Now this is what comes to mind first when I think of Hebron: not the conflict, but instead the sweet students, friends, and strangers who have made me feel like I belong in their city.

Of course, there are also challenges to living in a new culture. There are many things I still don’t understand, and I certainly can’t learn Arabic quite as quickly as I’d like. There are significant cultural differences, and I’ve had to adapt appropriately. Schedules (and lifestyles) are generally less structured here than they are in the US, and I’m continuing to learn to be flexible and gracious.

Overall, I am so grateful for the time that I’ve spent with the Excellence Center here in Palestine. I’ve learned so much from my time in Hebron, and will continue to process my experience here for a very long time. I’ll take back to the US many fond memories of a city that now feels like home, and people who now feel like family.

Really the only thing that has made me uncomfortable about this program is the fact that host families usually receive very little monetary compensation, if anything, from the Excellence Center. The families are more than happy to host volunteers free of charge, but I would prefer if a greater percentage of the fees that we pay to volunteer to Excellence were given to the families who are so generous in sharing their food and resources.
Otherwise, I think the work that Excellence does in and for the community of Hebron is a great thing, and it's been a privilege to be a part of it.

Dear Cara,

Thank you so much for leaving a review. We also appreciate your efforts very much during the two months. We will take your suggestions for improvement in our consideration.

We hope to see you in Hebron soon, we wish you all the best

Lauren
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

You'll Love the Kitchen Chicken...

I don't know where to begin. I was here for three months, but each day held a new discovery, even to the last. There is immense beauty to be found in Palestine; I certainly won't forget the view of Jordan from the shores of the Dead Sea in Jericho, or the steeple of the Russian Orthodox church standing out amidst the mosques of Hebron. I won't forget the chaotic orchestra of traffic horns and shopkeepers selling their goods in the city center, or the sound of the prayer calls just before dawn. The greatest beauty, however, lies in the humanity of Palestine's people. There is as much to discover in a rooftop conversation with a few good friends as there is at Temple Mount or the Nativity Church. When I go back to America, I'll have photos and videos to remind me of where I've been and what I've seen. I'll put them in a photo album and they'll sit on a shelf as a physical testament to my adventures, alongside souvenirs and knick-knacks. These are the things that I'll show my friends and family in my home country, and through them I'll try to convey what it was like to be in Palestine. Unfortunately, it's not as easy to describe the genuine human connection and the closeness and warmth that is abundant in Palestinian society. I don't have a photo that can describe how it feels to hear strangers laughing together in Manger Square as if they were old friends, or a mother mourning her newly deceased son with quiet and tearless dignity. These are the memories that I will keep with me beyond the photos.

Dramatic rumination aside, here's the practical part of my review. I was at the Excellence Center for three months, and I really enjoyed my time there. The work feels meaningful and the staff are a treat. I stayed with two different host families, both of whom were nice, although I definitely have a favorite. Hebronites are welcoming to the extreme, and you'll never be without tea, coffee, or good conversation. There's a lot to see and do, and I wish I had time to do more, but I suppose that's all the more reason to return. Cheers!

Give us more of a heads up when we have a 60 Minutes. This one's for you, Osama ;)

Dear Lauren,

Thank you so much for everything, Osama got better in Planning for the 60 Minutes in local schools. We wish you all the best and hope to see you in Palestine soon inshallah

Greetings from everyone at the Center

Mohammad
UK
Aberystwyth University

Time Well Spent

I participated in the Teach English Speak Arabic program from November, 2014 to February, 2015. I thoroughly enjoyed my time I had spent with the Excellence Center. The staff were great and I never encountered a problem that could not be rectified. They were more than willing to help me and offer solutions to living in a new country. My Arabic teacher was very kind and patient with my lack of foreign language acquisition skills.In addition, the native Arabic teachers were fun to work with also.

I have taught in 4 different countries and I had the best time in Hebron. My students were amazing and very generous. I went to cafes with them, their homes for dinner and their businesses. Moreover, I even went to Bethlehem and Jerusalem with them. They were motivated and eager to learn English; I looked forward to each and every class, because I love interacting with new and stimulating people.

My host family was great and very helpful. I have made some lifelong friends in Hebron and without a doubt will return.

Osama could go easy on the pictures :-)

Salam Alikum Mohammad,

Thank you brother for everything, we appreciate your efforts very much. You did an amazing work especially in the local schools.

We hope to see you soon in Palestine. we of course wish you all the best

With kind regards from Palestine

Jolennda
Oklahoma City
University of Central Oklahoma

Life changing

This was my fourth time to Palestine, but my first time to stay for an extended period. It was probably one of the best decision I ever made. I not only made friendships that will last a lifetime, but I now have a new perspective on life. The center offered many opportunities to visit places in and around Hebron and also allowed for us to do things on our own. The people are amazing and I now feel like Hebro is my second home.

A little more guidance for some of the volunteers on how to teach and what their ultimate purpose is.

Dear Jolennda,

Thank you so much for everything you did during the summer. We appreciate your efforts very much. Recently, we developed a teaching manual for internationals who do not have any experience in teaching.

We hope to see you in the near future and we wish you all the best.

Greetings from everyone at the Excellence Center

Cristina
New York City
Boston University

A wonderful opportunity

Teaching at Excellence Center was one of (if not the) most fulfilling experiences of my life for a variety of reasons, the biggest one being the people I met there (many of whom I still keep in touch with more than three years later!). Living in Hebron with a host family is a great way to immerse yourself in Palestinian culture. You will be invited into peoples homes, eat delicious Palestinian food, go to weddings, and get an overall feel for daily life.

The teaching program itself is well structured. Excellence Center is used to accommodating many international volunteers with a variety of backgrounds. I had never taught before and found working here to be an incredibly positive learning experience in that regard.

I did not experience any large difficulties in my time at Excellence Center, but it is important to go with a respect for your environment and an understanding that you may not be able to do everything that you would in your home country and you may encounter cultural differences.

If you have the opportunity to work at Excellence Center, go for it!

Dear Cristina,

Thank you so much for everything. We will never forget your efforts specially in the early stage of establishing the Excellence Center.

We wish you all the best and we hope to see you soon in Palestine

Lora
Wisconsin, USA
Winona State University

Best Thing I Have Done in my Life!

Highlights: visiting towns and cities throughout the West Bank, including interesting sites in Hebron itself such as the Russian Orthodox Church, factories such as glass-blowing, the souq and Old City, and Mosque. Total immersion into Palestinian life WITH Palestinians: Weddings, Ramadan for example. Very meaningful for me was being included as one of the family, experiencing the love and warmth of family life along with family friends, and the opportunities to spend overnights in different villages with friends of the Excellence Center. Everywhere people told me "Welcome" and I really felt that sincerely. I was very at home. EC staff endeavored to fulfill my wishes and meet my needs the whole time.

Difficulties: I am fairly adaptable so difficulties for me tended to be few - experiencing the intense heat of the Judean desert when I'm from the north climes of America was a challenge; not taking precious water for granted was another; gauging clothing and dressing to make sure I was "in sync" with another's culture - these were very good challenges and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Living for nine weeks in Hebron was the best thing I have ever done in my life and I will say that for ever after!

Perhaps time off for teacher/interns could be a little more structured so that the intern could make firm plans for sightseeing, etc.

Dear Lora,

Thank you so much for leaving a review. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time in Palestine. Thank you Hajjah Lora for everything. We wish you all the best and we hope to meet you in Palestine soon

Shukran Hajjah Lora,
EC Staff

The Excellence Center was established in June 2011 as a youth initiative to offer educational and community services to its diverse group of internationals and Palestinians. It is located in the main heart of Hebron on Ein Sarah street which is under the supervision of