Global Experiences Internships in Washington DC

Interns in DC at the Lincoln Memorial
Interns in DC at the Lincoln Memorial
Global Experiences Washington DC Interns
Global Experiences Washington DC Interns

There’s no better way to jump-start your career than with an internship in Washington, DC. The capital of the United States has some of the best internships you can imagine. While interning in Washington, you’ll be only a few blocks away from the White House and many other must-see DC sites.

You’ll have the chance to immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of DC. We work with you to find the best internship available based on your background and future goals. With 24/7 ground support, unique social events, and a tailored internship your DC experience will be something you never forget.

Included in the cost of your tuition is a guaranteed internship, housing, social events, our career development program, and more.

• Guaranteed Internship: As part of the Global Experiences' program you are guaranteed an internship in your host city. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals.
  • Personalized Attention: We want this experience to be as fulfilling as possible. From the first phone call, we support you and give you all the resources you need to make sure your internship is a success.
  • Centralized Housing: You’ll be living in student accommodations centrally located in Washington, DC with other Global Experiences' interns. Your housing will have access to public transportation, ensuring it is easy to get to and from your internship.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with potential employers, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Washington, DC year-round and provides interns with an insider's glimpse of the city. The LC is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and takes all the interns on a range of social events.

Hi Faith! You can enroll in the program before you turn 18 but you must be 18 by the start date of your chosen program. 18 is the minimum age to participate in a program. Hope that this helps!

David

Fantastic international experience

Global Experiences staff provided outstanding support throughout the program. My internship was a perfect match for my interests and skill level and will be a fantastic platform on which to build my future career. Working with people from different international backgrounds gave me an insight into the great diversity of opportunities in the USA. There are so many amazing places to explore in D.C. and 8 weeks was only just enough time to fit everything in. Thankfully the cultural events organised during the program provided plenty of opportunities to experience this incredible city and discover new things while having fun and getting to know other interns. It can be an expensive place to live but the advice and recommendations provided before and during the program enabled me to make the most of my time in the USA and sample the huge variety of food, music, museums and networking opportunities on offer.

Anthony

Fun and Rewarding

Global Experiences gave me an opportunity that I would not have had anywhere else. Aside from being the center of politics, Washington, DC is a fun and vibrant hub for young, aspiring professionals. This makes it a perfect opportunity to find internships within the city. The staff at GE were very accommodating and helpful when it came to providing professional connections and finding my place at an internship. This experience has increased my confidence with my desired career path and future endeavors. Although I was only there for about two months, I was able to embrace the culture and diversity that Washington brings. I would highly recommend being apart of this organization for finding internships and increasing your professional networks.

Tovah

Interning in Washington DC was amazing

First, the preparation before the start date of your program, Global Experiences (GE) definitely prepares you in every aspect so you can maximize your experience. I felt thoroughly prepared with everything I need to know for my professional development resume building, interviewing etc. And preparing for your cultural/social experience. It was very comforting to know that the global experiences team answered all my questions and were available to help me in any aspect of my preparation. I also though the global experiences team was lovely such amazing people willing to help you on your journey. I loved my experience abroad DC was a city i would actually like to live in one day. It is filled with fun things to do especially with other major cities in close proximity which makes your experience more authentic. I loved being able to experience the political culture in DC since it is the world leader in politics. It’s such a unique historical city and amazing food. Be open minded it will truly change your prospective interning abroad in DC. Don’t be afraid to say yes!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Going to more places even if i didnt have a buddy cause you’ll always make more friends.
Penney

Had an amazing time!

It was one of the best experiences I've had so far. From the very beginning to the very end, GE were very kind and enthusiastic, did what they could to help make the journey and experience as smooth as possible. I got to experience a lot of the local culture during those two months in DC, especially through events organised by GE, like going to a baseball game and a tour of the Capitol. Through the internship they provided me with, I also learned a lot about myself and about the 'working world', and that definitely helped me get a clearer idea of what I want to do in the future.

Angus

An all round fantastic and beneficial experience

I had a truly wonderful time in Washington D.C. thanks to Global Experiences. My internship was challenging yet such good fun, I thoroughly enjoyed going to work throughout the week. I met such fantastic people at work, in the city and on the programme. The city itself is magnificent and truly unique and I loved immersing myself in a foreign environment. I received constant support from everyone at Global Experiences who made it so easy foe me to settle into a new country. Overall it was a brilliant experience and one I will never forget.

Victoria

Washington DC internship

Through Global Experience I had an incredible internship in Washington DC. Doing an internship with Global Experiences has been the most amazing and rewarding experience. From the initial interview to the visa process and travelling, GE has been there every step of the way, with guidance and the best advice. Moving to a new country for a few months could have been a scary and stressful experience, but with GE they made it so easy and as stress free as possible.
GE listened to my concerns about what I wanted to get out of the experience and found me the most amazing placement with an incredible company that I will have connections with for the rest of my life. I have grown so much both professionally and personally, developing myself in ways that I had not anticipated. I had the most amazing location coordinator who met us at the accommodation and organised events and activities that we could participate in throughout our time in DC and she was always available for advice and help.
Overall this experience was incredible and a great way to travel and experience different cultures, but be able grow professionally and learn new skills at the same time.

Better accommodation is always appreciated
Isabella

Perfect Entry into the Job Market

As a university student, the pressure to enter the job market can be quite daunting. Global Experiences made this new experience so much easier as they not only helped to match me with an internship that would put me on my desired career path but also provided assistance during my internship. I had a great summer interning and definitely feel that it has taught me a lot about what to look for in the future. I not only learned many new skills in the workplace but also learnt interview and resume skills and made connections for life.

Ethan

Fantastic Internship Support

I could not have been happier with the support I received from Global Experiences during each phase of my internship. GE staff helped me secure an internship that interested me (I worked with a political intelligence organization, fascinating work made doubly so by the D.C. location); they gave me pointers on how to succeed and make the most of the internship; when all was over, they helped me take advantage of time spent by getting letters of recommendation, cementing professional connections, etc. I would easily recommend this program to anyone looking for a fun, productive way of killing a few summer months.

Chiara

Great experience!

I had a great experience in Washington DC this summer, interning in an Non-Governmental Organization for two months. GE helped me every step of the way: finding the internship and fixing my CV. They helped me with the visa, settling in, and discovering the city. Couldn't have done it without them! Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to gain some work experience while discovering a new city.

Emmanuelle

The GE team and the social events

The Global Experience team was lovely! They made it easier for me to culturally adapt. The various social events were well organized and everyone was nice and open. I was able to meet and interact with many members of the team during the various networking events and during our visit to the GE office in Annapolis where the atmosphere was really friendly.
My internship experience was not exactly what I imagined but my location supervisor checked on me regularly and tried her best to help me which I really appreciate.

It would be great if students were allowed to change companies if they are not satisfied with their internship.
Lara

Washington DC Internship through Global Experiences

When I think about my internship in DC, one word comes to my mind: lucky.
I am a first year law student in London and had never had a working experience before.
I was paired with a criminal defense attorney who was simply brilliant. He was kind to me and was open to answer to each and every one of my questions. He believed I was dependable and trusted my work and instinct. I was given more challenging tasks as the days went by and even got to interview a client myself on the spot, with no preparation beforehand.
I felt fulfilled and grateful for the opportunity that Global Experiences found for me.
In addition, the accommodation I was provided was central and close to the most beautiful landmarks in DC but most importantly, it was a George Washington Univerity student accommodation. I never felt alone both thanks to the GE crew sent to DC to organise social events and thanks to the presence of the other students or interns living in the same accommodation.
I definitely recommend using their services!

This was my first internship abroad with an organism like Global Experiences so I have nothing to compare it to. In my opinion, it was pretty brilliant. Maybe a session to discuss how my resume could be improved with my new work experience would have been nice!
Jabria

Opportunities Wherever You Go!

Being accepted into the GE Internship program opened doors to many opportunities for me. Without my placement in Washington, D.C. I would not have been given the chance to gain experience in the field of my interest or live in a place that I have grown to love. During my internship, I had the opportunity to work with passionate and dedicated leaders, mentors and, eventually, friends. My experience through GE was invaluable and one that I could not have obtained through my school or on my own. GE has an amazing network of internship opportunities that may lead to employment opportunities. Don't miss out!

I think that GE does a wonderful job. While I believe that everyone can improve, I do not think GE could get any better. They not only place you in an internship you will gain necessary experience from, you will also come to love the work you do and learn more about yourself and your goals for the future.
Kellie

What a Great Experience in DC

In the beginning, I'd always dreamed of an intern abroad, and to my disappointment, I didn't get one, BUT I was not disappointed greatly with the DC decision. DC was a wonderful place and had many cool adventures, which I never had an opportunity to explore in my previous visits to DC. I would go out to run around the Reflecting Pool and enjoy the views every evening, and I would go to visit the museums on weekends. Also, it was the gigantic challenge for me to overcome because I am Deaf, but thanks to the wonderful people in the Global Experiences and their unconditional supports, I was able to overcome the challenge.

N/A
Lauren

GE D.C Review

My personal experience with Global Experience's Washington, D.C program was incredible to say the least. I worked for a company that shared my views and welcomed my input from day one. Global Experiences did a wonderful job matching me with an employer and I am still in contact with my advisor(s) to this day. The connections I was able to make in D.C were outstanding! I met Harriet Fulbright, employees of numerous non-profit and educational agencies, and on one special occasion, even Hillary Clinton! Networking in D.C is unlike anything I have ever experienced and Global Experience staff nurtured the relationships I made along the way.

As a student, the transition from going to classes a few hours a day to working full time was really difficult for the first few days, but after I was able to get used to the atmosphere and really make an effort to make myself useful in my workplace, I was able to take on tasks that made my days go by quickly and made me feel valued as an individual. During my internship I facilitated chapter relations, developed spreadsheets based on research, completed a diversity initiative, managed member interviews for a newsletter, created flyers and posters, submitted writing samples, and more!

If you are looking for an unforgettable summer in a culture-rich, lively city, I would highly recommend Global Experiences internships in Washington, D.C.

There could be more transparency with regards to the placement timeline and the cost, and I think having one day off every couple of weeks would be really nice because I would have liked to have been able to travel around the city more. It is absolutely beautiful!
Sheena

Time in DC

Interning in Washington DC this summer, was most certainly an experience not to forget! Being able to work within in the heart of the political world itself is only one of the pro’s of doing an internship here, firstly we were situated in Foggy Bottom area which was only a 6 min walk from the White House, the monument and many more infamous attractions, there were also a number of great restaurants and bars right on our doorstep which came in handy. We stayed in GWU student housing, which was great as there were many other interns who were of similar age and we therefore made many friends outside of the GE group and had plenty of parties, but other than the fantastic social aspect of the summer, interning in DC gave me the direction I required and I have now discovered my true passion and know what it is I want to pursue after graduation. Within my internship itself I not only got to learn more about the Criminal Justice System but I also got to see what happened behind the scenes and was able to brush up on my networking skills. I highly recommend doing an internship in DC with Global Experiences. They were incredibly helpful and supportive throughout the entire process and also made it easier to transcend into DC life.

I would suggest that you make sure that you let Global Experiences know exactly what type of internship and what you would like out of it, as this will make it a much more enjoyable process for yourself and will ensure that you get the maximum out of your internship. I would also suggest that you check that the visa company are eligible to grant you a J1 visa, as it is unnecessary stress if they are unable give you one at the last second. And most of all make sure that you go into your internship with no preconceived expectations (which is hard but worth it, trust) as this will also allow you to get the maximum experience from your internship. Finally enjoy, its most certainly a once in a lifetime experience!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Global Experiences

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and...