• Uruguay

Spanish
Weekly Hours

Pricing

$2,650 USD
This Adelante program includes a volunteer or internship placement in your sector of interest, airport pick up, housing, 2 weeks of intensive Spanish classes, and 24/7 access to your local Program Director.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa
Jun 16, 2020
Feb 23, 2021

Uruguay is the best-kept secret in South America. Clean, serene, and safe, Montevideo is the nation's capital and a refreshing departure from other heavily industrialized cities in South America. Dive into the friendly culture and mingle with the Uruguayan locals or spend time on the warm sandy beaches.

Internships in Uruguay take place primarily in Montevideo. As our business model stipulates, this is an economical internship abroad program. Our Director in Uruguay is widely connected across a variety of professional sectors making this intern experience an ideal resume builder.

In this program, housing is your own room at the actual language school, where your first three weeks of intensive Spanish classes take place - super fast commute! You'll walk away with improved Spanish language skills, international work experience to add to your resume, and an off-the-beaten-path cultural experience of a lifetime.

Program Highlights

• Economical Pricing: We are budget friendly! With some research you will find that our prices can't be beat!
  • Flexibility: Our programs start the 1st Monday of every month with year round start dates. Choose to intern anywhere from 1-6 months.
  • Curated Experience: Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group focused. Our on-site staff in Montevideo and in the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you wish.
  • Tailored Internship: Contracted, customized internship abroad within your sector using only screened companies.
  • Local Staff: Our local Program Director is available 24/7 for emergency support.

Michelle

Amazing Experience in Uruguay!!!

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to advance their spoken Spanish and who loves the outdoors to come to Uruguay! There is a lot to see and do! I had many adventures off-the-beaten-path here which is ideal with the current COVID climate. During my two-month stay, I never got bored. There was always something to do and see. Many cities and towns are 1-2 hours away (or less!) with their own distinct characteristics and uniqueness. I left feeling a lot of love for Uruguay. I plan to visit again in the near future to further explore areas and to reunite with friends I made during my trip!

What was your funniest moment?
I had many lost-in-translation moments, too numerous to count! I will provide one short example which was the first one that occurred within the first week of my arrival. I asked a friend to help me get half-and-half from the store for my tea consumption. Half-and-half translates to "medio-y-medio." I found out Uruguayans do not usually use half-and-half but they do have an alcoholic beverage that is unique to Uruguay called medio-y-medio. I did not understand why my friend gave me an alcoholic drink for my tea until my friend realized I was not asking for their local wine beverage but for a pint of half cream half milk! Ha!
Madi

6 Month Accounting Internship

Montevideo is an awesome city and Uruguay as a whole is a wonderful destination. Their culture is beautiful and I fell in love with all of the street art. However I felt 6 months was way too long of a time period. The city is small-ish and after two months I felt I had seen all there was to see. There are many beach towns up the coast that I would highly recommend traveling to. That being said Uruguay outside of their summer months is very bleak. My housing arrangements were with a family that I became very close with and felt like my own. For my internship I was given a lot of busy work. Things I felt to keep me occupied but didn't help or effect the company at all. I used my time there mostly to practice my speaking skills. My internship was my least favorite part of my trip.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Hola Madi B! We loved having you, loved receiving your updates and are still posting and using your fabulous photos. I sure wish we would have known that you were not happy in the Accounting placement! If we had known, we could have intervened to help secure more advanced duties for you, or moved you, if needed. (We did receive a VERY positive report from your Supervisor, Fabian, at the end of your internship: the language level was an issue at the beginning, but the overall Eval was rock solid) Good luck in all future endeavors, and should Adelante be able to assist with any job search or reference request, we will gladly do so.
Team Adelante

Calyx

2 Months in Montevideo

Uruguay is a place like no other. I may have come here at the wrong time of year (it's winter), but if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to work at a place that really enjoy.

I'm a college student, and most internships that are out there for people at this level just have you shredding papers and getting coffee. At International House I got the polar opposite. They had me observing classes, working with teachers, running workshops, and substitute teaching. I actually have teaching experience now, which is amazing and surprising from an unpaid internship. It helped that I'm a native English speaker, but they actually had me working and were using my abilities and asking for how I felt about the classes and what my feedback was about them. I actually felt like a valued member of the school. How often can you say that you feel valued at an internship?

Overall, it's been a great experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

snolan365

Three Months in Montevideo

My favorite part about my stay in Montevideo was perhaps my housing situation. I had the chance to live with and become close with people from Brasil, Germany, Denmark, the UK and Canada. And being connected to the Spanish school offered the opportunity to make even more international friends.

Favorite parts about the city:
6. Old VW Bugs
5. Street corner fruit stands - Drink in those colors!
4. Our neighborhood fería (weekend market)
3. The independent cinema network
2. Finding truth in the idiom "A city with the soul of a town"
1. The Rambla - there's city, city, and more city, and then there's the Rambla where the city meets the river (sea) where you can find a place to breathe / change your perspective

Favorite adventure: Visiting the Karumbé field station in Coronilla for the final days of their Spring session, and then making our way to Cabo Polonia (two busses, one hitch-hiked ride, and at least 10 miles of walking later... totally worth it).