Projects Abroad - Internships in Vietnam

International Law internship in Hanoi
International Law internship in Hanoi
Intern in Vietnam with Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad offers internships in Vietnam in fields like International Development, Business, Journalism, and Medical placements including Nursing, General Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Physical Therapy.

As an intern in Hanoi, you will have the opportunity to provide a different perspective and make a positive impact. Visit their website for more details.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Pick your start and end date and let Projects Abroad customize your international internship in Vietnam.
  • Receive support from our staff before, during, and after the program
  • Live and work in the local community
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Help us Preserve & Save the Amazon Rainforest in Peru!

🌍 Discover the award-winning Taricaya Ecological Reserve ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 Available from 1 to 52 weeks

Wake up to the sounds of the jungle & explore the beauty of the Amazon rainforest. On our rainforest conservation program, you'll work with our team of experts to help rehabilitate wild animals & preserve this unique ecosystem for future generations.

Discover more & Apply!

Yes. Volunteers need to apply for a Work Visa in advance. Once you apply with us, you will be in touch with a Volunteer Advisor who will be able to help guide you through this process.

Ivana

My Medical Internship in Vietnam

July this year I spend 4 weeks in Vietnam doing a medicine internship in the ‘Vietnam National Hospital of Pediatrics’. And wow.. it is actually hard to put into words how great this experience has been (but I’ll try ;) ).
Let me start by saying that the time I’ve spend in there I’ll never forget. The staff and the people I met were all extremely friendly and prepared to help with anything I needed even if it was only advice (which was a lot, because I was the ‘rookie’ of the group). During the weekdays I got to shadow doctors of different specialities. And in the weekends I went to explore the beauty of Vietnam with friends who came from all over the world!
But let’s focus on my project specifically; As mentioned I shadowed doctors for the most part. Even though they don’t all speak English that well, they were prepared to take time out of their busy schedules and answer my questions (and believe me there were a lot !!).
In Vietnam I got so many opportunities to see and try things I could only dream of doing in elsewhere. Overall I am very pleased with the whole experience and the things I saw and learned.

Kind regards,
Ivana Djurica

What was your funniest moment?
By far the most memorable moment was when my friends and I got stuck on a 3 hour boat throw in Ninh Binh, where we got given a bucket to grown the water out with.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Ivana,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It’s great to hear such positive feedback and I’m really glad you enjoyed your time in Vietnam. The local team said you were a fantastic volunteer and they thoroughly enjoyed working with you!

It’s brilliant that you got involved with all sorts of different aspects of both the project and in your free time. It sounds like you really made the most of your time there and immersed yourself in the project and the country; getting stuck on that boat definitely sounds like a memory that will stay with you!

As you say, the staff are so supportive and that goes for the doctors as well; even without medical experience, you can still have a really worthwhile and engaging experience on the Medicine project.

If you ever want to come back to Vietnam (or maybe even try another destination) and volunteer again, it would be great to welcome you back on another project!

Wishing you all the best,

Bessie
Projects Abroad – Senior Project Expert

Read my full story
Angela

The Experience of a Lifetime!!

I spent 4 weeks in Hanoi through Projects Abroad's medical internship program. I chose Vietnam because I have family just outside of Hanoi, so I never even considered any other destinations. My time overseas was truly an extraordinary, life-changing opportunity, all thanks to the incredible surgeons of bệnh viện nhi as well as the spectacular Projects Abroad staff.

Primarily, I simply spent my days observing surgeries. However, in the last few days of my internship, I was presented with the amazing opportunity to close after a laparoscopic surgery. On my last day (which was also my birthday) I was granted the unforgettable chance to close a neurosurgery, which was the most exhilarating and fulfilling experience of my life. I am so unbelievably grateful to the wonderful surgeons at BVN for the many learning opportunities that they provided for me.

The Projects Abroad staff truly went above and beyond to ensure that my trip was as fantastic as possible. I truly felt that they valued me as a person rather than viewing me as just another volunteer that they had to talk to because it was their job. In fact, I really felt like the staff were my friends, and genuinely enjoyed my company. Without their sincere concern and care, I wouldn’t have felt so safe and secure. During the majority of my stay, there were only about 2 or 3 other volunteers in the house with me, which meant everybody got their own room. I felt like the smaller amount of people allowed us to get closer with each other and develop stronger bonds. In fact, we still talk most days in our group chat, even though we’ve all gone our own separate ways now. The relationships and bonds that I formed in the house are just one more of the abundant takeaways that I will cherish forever.

please lower the costs!
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Angela,

It's great to hear you had such a wonderful experience in Vietnam! We work very hard to make sure we partner with established multi-specialty hospitals and clinics, so volunteers can work under respected local doctors and have a genuine learning experience. We also employ our local staff directly in each destination where we work, including Vietnam, to make sure that there is someone always available for you to ensure that everything is going smoothly with your host family, your placement, and your experience in general. All these efforts are included in the cost so you can have the best volunteering abroad experience possible.
Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

An Experience of a Lifetime

I had the most incredible experience this past June working as a Physical Therapist in a local village outside Hanoi. This was only my second time abroad but I definitely caught the "travelers bug" and want to go on another Projects Abroad trip in the future. The Projects Abroad staff were very helpful and just were wonderful people in general. They made it super easy to get connected to the other volunteers in Hanoi and were always reaching out to me to make sure I was adjusting to being in a new country. They also focused on making a family vibe between the staff and amongst the volunteers. A perfect example of this happened recently when I sadly went through a family loss when I arrived home in July. My coordinator has contacted me on multiple occasions to send love and make sure I'm doing okay. The fact that they still keep in touch with me even though I'm thousands and thousands of miles away is so heartwarming.
If I were to go on another abroad volunteer trip (which I know I will in the future) I will definitely go through Projects Abroad again. Thank you for giving me an unforgettable summer I will always appreciate it.

The initial planning of my trip could be improved. I had some problems with plane tickets while going through the organization so I decided to just do it on my own.
Mallory

Occupational Therapy Internship

I travelled with Projects Abroad for two weeks over my school's winter break. I would recommend anyone interested in interning for Occupational Therapy to strongly consider this program. If you are up for a challenge and ready to immerse yourself in a culture that is most likely unlike your own, this is the trip for you. Not only do you get a feel for community and the struggles Vietnam was left with after the war, but you are taught how to work together and how to love one another through the struggles. Living with volunteers from around the world was enlightening, and I learned a lot about cultures and countries other than my own.
Traveling throughout Vietnam as strongly encouraged by the staff. They were extremely helpful in answering all questions and providing their insight. There were also set up activities throughout the week and on the weekends. The two volunteer houses in Hanoi were only 15 minute taxi/motor bike rides from the old quarter where we ate and and shopped all day. The Occupational Therapy Placement was in Friendship Village where the staff was kind and the patients were full of laughter and smiles.
Projects abroad is an amazing organization. They are kind, organized, helpful, and here to make sure your experience no matter how long is amazing. I highly recommend Projects Abroad for anyone with a helpful hand and a desire to experience communities around the world.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Mallory!
Sounds like you had the most amazing time during your project! It's great that you were able to put your Occupational Therapy skills to good use and learn some more, while also getting to explore around Vietnam. It is such a beautiful country! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Remi

The best experience with Projects Abroad

Volunteering as a teacher in Vietnam with Projects Abroad was the best experience of my life, and I plan on using the same organization next year. To begin, my accommodation in Hanoi, Vietnam, far exceeded my expectations in the best possible way. I had the opportunity to live in a local neighborhood not too far from the Old Quarter, the main tourist destination in Hanoi.

My placement teaching French was at a Vietnamese public primary school, about a fifteen minute taxi drive away from the volunteer house. Every morning, I would take the same taxi driver to work (who would always be waiting for me!) and then I would take the bus home in the afternoon. I worked Monday through Friday from 8am to around 4pm, and would typically assist the principle teacher in the morning, and then had my own class in the afternoon. Teaching was wonderful!

The Projects Abroad staff showed me how to manage and find my placement, and were always delighted to help when I had a question or concern. The Projects Abroad office was also only a 5 minute walk from my accommodation, which made it simple to reach them whenever necessary. The staff were very kind and quick to help. It truly made the experience fantastic. I cannot wait to volunteer again with them next summer.