Teaching at Meten
Meten is a training center, which means that we serve customers outside of formal education and their business hours. For a teacher this means your days will be starting in the afternoon for the most part and ending in the evening. On the weekend you will be expected to work either a morning shift or an afternoon shift and you will have two days off a week between Monday to Friday.
During a working week you will teach between 4-5 classes a day and up to 6 on the weekend to a total of 25 classes a week with each class being an hour long. To help you prepare for your classes you will have 10 office hours a week. These will primarily be focused on class preparation but also comprised of teacher training on a monthly basis and an optional weekly Mandarin class.
- 25 teaching hours + 10 office hours per week
- Teach a variety of English classes to a range of abilities
- Use your creative skills to develop classes and other events
- Ensure students learn in an engaging manner
- Attendance and participation of weekly meeting / training sessions
- A desire for self development and career progression in a fast growing and dynamic team
METEN's Explore curriculum
The curriculum we use is designed and produced by National Geographic. Meten’s “Core Program” includes all the regular classes. Classes can be 1 on 1, 1 on 4, or 1 on 10. In addition to the “Core Program” classes, there is also a special class called “I Show.” In the “I Show” class, our teachers are able to lecture about any topic they want. It is considered a little more of a casual class, that just encourages the students to practice English in a natural setting.
If you, as the teacher, are interested in movies, you can make the topic of the class about movies. If you studied in drama at your university, you can turn your class into an acting class that day. Rather than forcing teachers to strictly follow a curriculum, we encourage and give our teachers the freedom to be creative with their classes.
- Native English speaker from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- 120 hour TEFL certificate or 2 years of teaching experience preferred
- Outgoing, dedicated, professional and passionate about teaching
- 12,500 – 18, 000 RMB per month for Beijing, Guangzhou & Shenzhen
- 12,000 – 16,000 RMB per month for other locations (depends on teaching experience)
- Housing allowance of 2,000 – 3,000 RMB depending on the city
- 12 days Chinese National holidays + 10 days of annual leave
- Flight allowance: 8,000 – 10RMB (4000 RMB on arrival, remaining on contract completion)
- 2,500 RMB quarterly performance bonus
- Visa document reimbursement (5,000 RMB)
- 7 days paid hotel accommodation upon arrival
- Full accident and health insurance provided
- Free mandarin lesson
- Full attendance bonus
- On-going training and professional development
- Career development opportunities in teaching, course development, regional trainer