We are International Sunshine Home, a bilingual Montessori-inspired school for kids ages 2-6 looking for amazing English and Science teachers. Salaries range up to 18,200 yuan plus a 2,000-yuan monthly housing allowance, annual airfare incentive, 22 personal leave days, a moving stipend, a work visa, repayment of visa fees, insurance and a re-sign bonus for a second annual contract. Lunch, snacks and coffee are free.
The qualities that we seek in our teachers are: professionalism, high energy, a positive attitude and a love of children. The work schedule is Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (for select teachers).
We provide a curriculum, an academic outline (in 3-week blocks), sample lesson plans, in-class activities and various printable materials, though we invite qualified teachers to tailor the class to their strengths and preferences.
The class size for all our classes is capped at 18 students, with two assistant teachers for each class. The student-teacher ratio is 6:1. Teachers are given 3 hours of prep time for every 4 hours of class, and a one-hour break per day.
Xiamen is a subtropical island in the Taiwan Strait just off the coast of mainland China. Our summers are warm and our winters are cool but it never snows. The climate, the weather and the size of the city are similar to San Diego, California. Yes, we have Starbucks. Xiamen is often cited as one of China's most livable cities.
We only hire teachers eligible for Z (work) visas in the province of Fujian per the Board of Education. Teachers must have the following: university degree, a passport from a native-English speaking country, a criminal record check and a TEFL certificate OR 2 years of post-university teaching experience.
• Salary - Up to 18,200 yuan per month (dependent on certifications, experience and desired workload)
• Housing - 2,000 yuan per month
• Moving stipend - 2,500 yuan (with first paycheck)
• Airfare - 6,000 yuan per 12-month contract
• Visa - Costs repaid at end of probation
• Insurance - Comprehensive insurance
• Holidays - 21 personal days, 1 religious day, 11 national holidays
• Re-sign incentive - 1 month's salary (half at 15 months, half at 21 months)
• Annual raise - up to 10 percent, based on performance review
• Free Chinese classes
Our cumulative second-year pay is a significant bump that can exceed 15 percent (bonus plus raise) because we like to encourage teacher retention.