Teaching English in Japan is an experience like no other. Japan is like no other place on earth and will fill you with new tastes, sights, smells, intercultural immersion, and experiences which will stick with you for the rest of your life - in a (very) good way!
Through TravelBud’s program, you’ll be able to teach English in Japan for a year or more where you’ll earn up to $2500 USD per month, fully immerse yourself in Japanese culture, earn your TEFL/TESOL certification in Japan, and embrace a life-changing experience which will make you grow as a person.
All you need to qualify is to have a bachelor's degree in any field of study and be a citizen of one of the following countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Guaranteed job placement available throughout the Japan at one of TravelBud's vetted schools
- Salary of $2000 to $2500 (USD) per month
- Up to 25 days of paid leave per year
- Assistance finding suitable accommodation
- Thorough pre-departure support and assistance with documentation and interview prep from our experienced team with first-hand experience teaching abroad - that's right, we've been there and have done it ourselves!
- Internationally accredited TESOL certification course which can be completed online or in-class in Japan, both of which include practical teaching experience, and are tailored specifically to the Japanese English language curriculum
- 1 week in-depth cultural immersion course to ease you into life in Japan, which includes lectures on Japanese culture and society, history, politics, geography and 7 hours of Japanese language classes
- 24/7 in-country support throughout your teaching placement
- Airport pickup
- Sim card for your mobile phone and assistance with opening a local bank account
- Friends and couples can be placed together
- Free future placements in new countries: Once you have completed your contract in Japan, we will happily provide you with a teaching placement in Vietnam, Thailand, South Korea, and/or Myanmar, together with a one-week cultural orientation and 24/7 in-country support - absolutely free of charge!
- Full access to online teaching resources to help you plan lessons throughout your placement
When Can I Start?
With this program being in such high demand, we highly recommend applying and reserving your spot as soon as possible on one of our three intakes for 2020. We have limited capacity on each intake and will close them once we've reached maximum capacity. Our 2020 intakes for Japan are:
- July 27th
- September 28th
- November 30th
If you complete our online TESOL certification course, it takes at least 4 months to start teaching in Japan as the document collection and visa application process is a rather rigorous process. We'll guide you through it all but it is always best to sign up sooner rather than later for this program to give you enough time to get everything organised before your departure. We have one online TESOL course running each month.
Speak to our experienced Enrollments Coordinators about the best option for you.
- A bachelor's degree in any field
- No teaching experience is required - we provide all training if you don't have already
- A clean criminal record
- Be in good health
- Be a first language English speaker with an excellent command of the English language (both written and spoken)
- Hold a 120 hour TESOL (or TEFL or CELTA) certificate. Our program also offers an excellent 120 hour online, or in-country (done in Japan) TESOL course with internationally accredited certification tailored to teaching in Japanese classrooms with an experienced instructor.
- Our job placements are only open to citizens of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
Why choose TravelBud?
With so many options out there, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out what the best program is for you. We have carefully designed a program with everything we believe is needed for the most successful experience possible teaching in Japan, based on our first-hand experience.
We give you far more than just a job placement
We provide far more than just a job or recruitment service as we believe there's so much more needed for this to be the most successful and life-changing experience possible. From finding the right job at the right school which pays you well and on time, and will treat you fairly, to having an experienced support team for you to lean on throughout your time on the program, to receiving the most in-depth cultural orientation to guarantee a successful cultural immersion, receiving an internationally accredited TESOL/TEFL training which is tailored specifically to Japanese schools to ensure you're prepared for the right type of teaching environment, TravelBud's Paid Teaching Program in Japan is without a doubt the highest quality and most holistic option you can choose.
We manage expectations accurately
We won't promise you what we cannot deliver. For example, we won't promise you a starting salary of $3000 as this is very uncommon in Japan - instead, we will be upfront about the starting salaries which schools in Japan offer to beginner teachers, which are seldom higher than $2500 per month. This is all part of our effort to ensure that your expectations are managed accurately and you are given the most honest and accurate information about the experience you're signing up for.
We believe less is more
We only offer Paid Teaching programs in a small number of countries. This is because we believe in quality over quantity, or that less is in fact more. By only focusing on what we love and know like the back of hands, we have managed to focus all our efforts on being able to provide what we truly believe is the best all-round experience anyone can ask for from teaching abroad. We may not offer a wide range of countries to choose from or a wide range of different types of programs, but we can guarantee that the programs we do offer are the best you can find.
We've walked the path before you
We have all taught abroad in the countries we offer. In fact, every TravelBud team member is a program alumni and has experienced first-hand what our programs entail. This ensures that you will receive guidance, advice and the full support from a team who have gone through the same thrilling yet somewhat daunting experience you are considering embarking on, which will ensure you're in the best hands possible throughout this incredible journey of growth and adventure.
What's the job like?
- We offer placements throughout Japan where you will be teaching young children of various ages, ranging from kindergarten to high school.
- Public and private school working hours are during the day, Monday to Friday.
- English anguage centre working hours are 5 days per week working during afternoons, evenings and weekends.
- The positions are full time 12 month contracts and are renewable if you are interested in making Japan your home for longer than a year
Interview Coaching and Guaranteed Placement
We also include step-by-step one-on-one walkthroughs to help you with your job and visa applications and to coach you with any interviews you'll need to have with your prospective employers. This raises the acceptance rate from under 40% of applicants (for those who use other channels) to 95% who come through TravelBud. Job placement is guaranteed once you're accepted onto our program, so if you're not successful in your first interview, we'll have plenty of alternative positions for you to interview for.
Cultural Immersion Course
We believe in responsible travel and in the context of teaching abroad, that means being culturally sensitive, respectful travelers. Our Japanese cultural immersion course is run by a mix of local and Western staff and is set up in a way that ensures you understand Japanese culture deeply even before you set foot in a classroom. You'll start teaching feeling much more prepared for your new life abroad, ready to engage with the community you'll be living in and have a rewarding and immersive cultural experience.
Some of what's included on the week-long orientation:
- Learn the basics of speaking the local language with 7 hours of Japanese language classes
- Attend lectures on Japanese culture, religion, history, geography and politics by experts in their field
- Attend workshops on working in Japanese organizations, working in Japanese schools and on being a teacher in the country
- Take part in enriching cultural excursions which includes visits to the ancient castles, an authentic Japanese cooking class, watching a Sumo Wrestling march, and more
Training: Internationally Accredited TESOL Certification
If you don't have a recognized TESOL, TEFL or CELTA certificate yet, it's not a problem. Our program comes with a highly acclaimed 120-hour in-class TESOL course conducted in Japan's coastal city of Nagoya. You'll learn everything from classroom management to creating lesson plans and the specific issues Japanese students battle with when tackling English. Not only that but you'll be able to try out your skills in front of a live class at a local Japanese school before you head out to your placement school so that you can be sure you'll be ready for whatever Japan throws at you as an English teacher.
Our TESOL Certification Course includes the following:
- 120 hours of in-class TESOL theory and instruction
- Overview of the history and theory of teaching English as a foreign/second language
- Practical training on how to teach speaking, listening, writing, and reading in the Japanese classroom
- Attend workshops on working in Japanese organizations, working in local schools and on being a teacher in the country
- Extensive training on lesson plan development and presentation
- Multiple opportunities to receive and offer feedback with your peers and instructor throughout the course
- Tons of tips and examples on how to teach English to every age group in Japan
- Extensive training on effective classroom management, being mindful of cultural sensitivities in Japan
- Two full days of practical teaching at a local Japanese school (if you complete our in-class TESOL course) to gain real experience of what it's like to teach in Japan - practical teaching is done via Skype presentations if you opt for our online TESOL course
Got a TEFL/TESOL certificate already?
Chat with our enrollments team to see if your certification will be accepted by our school network in Japan! Then all you'll need is our Cultural Immersion Course and Placement.
What our participants say they love most about TravelBud:
- Fast turnaround time
- Guaranteed job placement
- Great reviews by past teachers
- Our helpful, friendly enrolments agents all have teach abroad experience
- Simple to understand and informative website full of photos, videos, and blog articles to help you fully prepare for what to expect
"Everyone I worked with was amazing and they guided me to accomplishing my dream of teaching abroad. Saskia and Sabrina answered all my questions so quickly, and really helped me through the entire trip. They are always willing to help me and they give great advice."
- Patrick, April 2018
- Bachelor's Degree in any field
- Proficient English language skills, both spoken and written
- Clean criminal background check
- Be in good physical and mental health
$2000 to $2500 USD per month