Semester or Full Year Abroad in Beijing, China with TBC

Semester or Full Year Abroad in Beijing, China with TBC

By The Beijing Center   Reviews (14)   100% Rating

Stand out from the crowd and join The Beijing Center for a Semester or Full Year immersion in the heart of Beijing, China!

By combining quality language studies and coursework, unparalleled immersion opportunities, and an excursion throughout the country, you will learn more about China in one week than you have in your entire life. You will select a level of Mandarin appropriate to your efficiency, and will have the opportunity to practice on a daily basis with a tutor, Chinese roommate, as well as on and off campus! Choose from over 20 courses accredited by Loyola University Chicago and taught by leading scholars from China's outstanding universities and institutes.

Each semester you will travel on a two-week excursion. In the Fall, you will follow the ancient route of the Silk Road, history's cultural bridge between East and West, and in the Spring, you will experience China's cultural diversity as you travel throughout country's Southeastern province of Yunnan.

• Globalize your resume with for-credit internship opportunities
  • Explore real China on a 2-week excursion to The Silk Road (Fall) or Yunnan Province (Spring) - included in tuition
  • Chinese language tutor included and have the option to live with a Chinese roommate
  • Make life-long friendships with classmates and peers from over 40 colleges and universities!
  • Scholarships and financial aid available
Asia » China » Beijing
Wifi
Chinese
Visa Requirement
Cost Description
Program Cost includes: Tuition for 12-18 academic credit hours, Individual tutor for Chinese-language studies, Meal card with 500 RMB, Trips to several sites around Beijing, Chinese roommate option, Academic Excursion (transportation, local hotels, admission fees, several meals). The Beijing Center offers academic and merit-based scholarships.

Karen
Yingtan

Fall 2015

My name is Kari Osowski and I am a Senior at Loyola University Chicago. Last fall, I backpacked through the Silk Road as an excursion of The Beijing Center! During my semester halfway across the world, I prayed with Tibetan monks in Xiàhé, walked a day in the shoes of Uyghur students in Ürümqi, spent the night in a yurt in Xinjiang, rode a camel in the Taklimakan desert and was on the UIBE International cheerleading team. Deciding to study at The Beijing Center was easily the best decision I’ve ever made at Loyola. If students are looking to challenge themselves, live in a completely new and diverse culture, and enhance your Loyola experience, China’s the place to be!

Jarek
Chicago IL

Amazing experience

Great program that truly immerses you into the Chinese lifestyle and culture. I went with no language experience and was able to learn so much and even travel by myself through the country. The school planned trips are incredible, but some of the directors are a little strange. Just do what you want to do and explore everything. Take advantage of all the time to travel through the country. The classes are hard but taught in the Chinese fashion and the homework is interesting. The food is amazing there are so many options close to campus.

The student development staff was very babying towards you. They acted like you werent a competent adult and couldnt plan things for yourself or travel by yourself. Just ignore them and do all of your own traveling whenever you want!

Jason
Chicago

Best Semester of Undergrad

I learned so much and have memories from this semester that will last a life time. The TBC staff really go out of their way to make the massive and mysterious country of China seem accessible. I made friends that I will have for the rest of my life and can honestly say that I am a different person than I was before I studied abroad!

I wish there were more events that Chinese students attended to make it easier to meet more Chinese students but the Chinese Host Student/Tutor Program did help give my first Chinese friend when I arrived!

Kelsey
Loyola University Chicago

Great experience with great people

TBC is one of the best study abroad programs in China. The staff is extremely helpful, the faculty is very involved in their respective fields, the two excursions are phenomenal and I made some of my best friends while in Beijing. The location of the program is prime and the support system set up allows every student to really take advantage of their time abroad. I recommend this program to anyone who is thinking about going abroad. China itself is one of the best places to study abroad because of the culture, history and impact on the world currently and in the future: all of which is exemplified by the TBC program.
Can't say enough good things!

DJ
Beijing

Great program!

This was a great program! I did an entire academic year here, and loved the entire thing! The trips that are a part of the program are amazing - you get to see so much of China - its worth it just for that!

Laurie
Cleveland, OH
John Carroll University

Go to China!

Went here without any knowledge of the Chinese language. I was looking to get out of my comfort zone, and I can definitely say I achieved my goal. This gives you so much knowledge of other things that are out there, other cultures and a different value system. It was my most amazing experience to date, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Am constantly trying to figure out when I can get back to China. It really didn't take long from only being able to say "hello" in Mandarin, to being able to head out to places on my own.

Definitely consider TBC. It's been 6 years since I've gone and I still think back to my time in this program constantly. You will have endless stories and experiences.

I really think this program is perfect.

Anonymous
San Francisco
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

An Amazing Experience

I couldn't think of any other way to "discover" China and learn its culture and language(s). The faculty and staff are incredible and the quality of academic opportunities and cultural excursions are unparalleled.

Stephen
New York
Loyola University Maryland

Language program is great!

I wish I could have stayed a second semester. I loved the program and could not believe how much it enhanced my language skills. In the intensive language course I was able to skip a language level when I went back home!

Student
China
Fordham University

Great experience

China is a place that is constantly changing and developing, and TBC does an awesome job placing students in this dynamic setting. Immersing students in the language and culture, while pushing them to challenge themselves and those around them academically and personally, TBC attracts like-minded and adventurous students.

Ling
Philadelphia, PA
Saint Joseph's University

TBC was amazing!

The excursions were one of the best parts of the program! I had a blast traveling to so many different cities and meeting so many incredible people. It was the perfect way to bond with new friends and build life long relationships.

Julian
Seattle Washington
Seattle University

A must do program

When can you visit a country by experiencing it's culture and get credit for it? Um, TBC! I learned so much here and I would do it again in a heart beat. A word of advice: DO IT! My professors were absolutely outstanding. Not only have they been teaching in China for a while they have experienced China for it actually is: an absolute wonder.

I would make our trips longer. There was some political unrest in the west of China which I understand. But still, I think we should have gone somewhere else.

SeanyO
NYC
Fordham University

Some of the best semesters of college!

During 2011-2012 I spent my junior year studying at The Beijing Center. It was a phenomenal year, and I will always look back on the learning experiences. My academic work was challenging, but rewarding. I travelled a lot within Beijing and across all of China.

Jennifer
New York City
Georgetown University

Best semester in college

Absolutely loved the program. The friends I made through the program and the trips we were able to take are still some of the best memories I have. It's been 5 years since my study abroad semester and I still reflect on the time I spent there. Great program, great glasses, great support system and absolutely wonderful campus/time spent in Beijing!

A
Baltimore, MD
Loyola University Maryland

Loved it!

This program was amazing. I was nervous to study abroad at first because I had never really been abroad or traveled alone, but TBC offers you all the support you need. I would definitely recommend selecting to have a local Chinese student as your roommate too. They all speak English and know everything. Even if you choose to have another international students you will still meet the local students and they are always so eager to help. Thanks TBC!

The Beijing Center for Chinese Studies (TBC) provides a unique environment for undergraduate students from all over the world to begin their engagement with China. Our mission is to promote mutual understanding between China and other cultures. What makes us unique is our placement in