AIFS Study Abroad in London: Semester or Academic Year

AIFS Study Abroad in London: Semester or Academic Year

Study in London and earn up to 15 credits with courses in art, business, economics, history, psychology and more at Richmond, The American International University in London.

AIFS in London offers a unique academic program. Because of the wide range of degrees offered by Richmond, AIFS students have an array of courses to choose from. Students can opt to do a Certificate in British Studies Program and focus on courses related to British culture, or choose from a myriad of courses in business, finance, economics, public relations, psychology, sociology, journalism, communications, art, history and more. Volunteer opportunities are also available.

Live in a Residence Hall in the central London neighborhood of Kensington and enjoy cultural and social activities such as guided city tours, museum visits, theater and musical performances, sporting events, and day trips to nearby cities.

• Show in the West End
Activities
Classes
Meals
Travel Insurance
AIFS is a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.

Yes this university has a great history program! I took History of London while I was there and got to take field trips to different locations throughout London that I wouldn't have thought to go see otherwise! I also to a British Art and Architecture course which was so great because it was history and art together!
I'm not entirely sure about their film program. I did my study abroad in 2007, and they had an excellent art, art history, and photography course that my roommate and I both did at that time. So, I would say their art program in general was terrific!

Tiffany
New York University

Unlike NYC... London is the city that does sleep

I was born and raised in NYC, and by staying in the city for college I never really experienced living in any place other than New York. Prior to coming to London, I expected there to be little differences in living in London than living in NYC. While I do think it was an easy transition, one difference you'll notice is that stores in London close much earlier than those in NYC, so if you're coming from a big city don't expect frequent late-night dining, especially on Sundays!

Overall, I loved London. Compared to New York's MTA, London's public transportation was faster and, in my opinion, more straight-forward, than that of NYC's, so don't worry about getting lost on the train or bus! Did I mention it's a lot cleaner, as well? While you'll have endless opportunities to try English food, London is a multicultural city so you will be able to eat different types of food, as well, such as Indian, Thai, Italian, and Caribbean to name a few. London is big on free museums, so be sure to check out the British Museum, Natural History Museum and the Tate Modern Museum (those were my favorite). Whether you're a fan of hanging out with friends in a big park, pub crawls, doing all the tourist-y things imaginable (who doesn't love a great view from the London eye?) or a combination of all of the above while finding time to explore the equally as interesting cities outside of London, London is a great place to study abroad!

Mikayla
Western Washington University

Take Me Back

Plain and simple: My semester abroad was the best thing to ever happen to me, and that largely had to do with AIFS. London is an amazing city, and you would have a great time no matter what, but the AIFS program puts you right in the middle of Kensington, the nicest and safest borough in London, in an international university where you get to meet people from all over the world and truly immerse yourself in the diversity London has to offer. This was HUGE for me, and I know my time there wouldn’t have been the same if I wasn’t in that location. Our resident directors were also a really important part of the trip. I have barely left the country, let alone flown on a plane by myself, before I studied abroad. It was really important to me that I had support overseas if I needed it. My RDs had an open-door policy and had awesome relationships with everyone at Richmond, but especially the study abroad students. I grew really independent when I went to London, but it was nice to know that I had people to help me if I was feeling homesick, needed to go to the doctor, or whatever. (Thankfully neither were too big of an issue.) It was also a really nice aspect that AIFS’ program is all-inclusive. There is one fee that includes EVERYTHING, and then an optional flight package for another small fee. I personally don’t have financial aid, so having everything all in one place and then all of the scholarships AIFS offers on top of that was a huge help, as well. I look back on my program and only have good memories. I wish I could go back every day!

Danielle
Boca Raton
Florida Atlantic University

Semester of a Lifetime

Your semester or year abroad really will be the time of your life. Going abroad was one of the best decisions I could have made, but going abroad with AIFS really was the best. From the application process to my whole time abroad, everything was simple and easy. With an all-inclusive program like AIFS everything is taken care of for you. Once I applied and filled out the paperwork that was it. My housing, food, flights, and transportation once I landed was taken care of. There were even activities included in the cost for once we were in London! All I had to worry about was getting myself to the airport. Not only was the process simple, but the staff on-site were incredible. The resident director really was our mom while we were in London. She took care of any issues we were having no matter how silly they may have seemed. The academic advisors and the professors made the academic experience all that it could have been. They were always there to help if there was a problem. My time abroad was one that I will remember forever and going abroad with AIFS was the best decision I made.

Celeste Gregorio
Celeste Gregorio
Thousand Oaks, CA.
California Lutheran University

Get the London look

Studying abroad in London was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made. It truly allowed me to step out of my comfort zone, meet so many new people, have class in Parliament, and visit several incredible places. AIFS was extremely welcoming and friendly which settled my nerves and made the entire process run smoothly. Living in Kensington (West London) was one of the major perks to the study abroad experience. The area was beautiful, our backyard was pretty much Kensington Palace (neighbors being Will & Kate -- no big deal), we were a short tube ride away from Big Ben, the London Eye, Tower Bridge, and Buckingham Palace...just to name a few. However, the downfall to living in such a nice area was that it was very expensive to eat out and get drinks. On the bright side, it was easy to find a cheap bite to eat in East London or settle for a cheeky Nando's nearby. AIFS also provided a meal plan during the weekdays as well as a Student Union Card at Imperial Student Union Bar where the drink prices are reasonable and the curly fries are mouth-watering. There are typically no classes on Friday which is a perfect opportunity to travel around the UK or to other countries. RyanAir, trains, hostels, and student travel companies are all affordable and convenient ways of seeing as many countries as your heart desires. It's always a 3-day weekend so why not jet over to the Amalfi Coast or take a quick flight to Dublin?
There are endless opportunities and I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

It would have been nice to have even more trips and events planned throughout the semester rather than just during the first couple weeks.

Emma
Kirkwood, MO
University of Arkansas- Fayetteville

Experience of a Lifetime

I would like to start by saying that AIFS has been a huge help with getting students to where they need to be every step of the way. This experience of traveling really opened my eyes to new surroundings and backgrounds while it changed my perspective every day. While being outside my comfort zone, the staff of AIFS did a great job supporting all students making it the best experience that I could have asked for. Overall, I think that this program is a great one and really helped our traveling experiences reach their full potential!

I think that this program could be improved by having more information about the two separate campuses in London for Richmond University and maybe to have a more updated website for the school so students have a better idea of what they are getting into.

Emily
Dayton, oh
University of Dayton

Experience was great. Living in the building was ok.

Living in London is amazing, the city and the people, incomparable. However it was hard going home (the dorm) to a single room. I was put in a single room tucked away in the corner of the dorm. This made it hard to make friends since everyone was pairing up with their roommates. Also, the food was terrible. I found myself spending extra money to eat out most nights which wasted a couple thousand of dollars.

Change the food!! Let us either eat there or save money so we can eat out

Alyson
Glenview, Illinois
Drake University

Living the London Life

I spent a total of 3.5 months in London and I wish that it had been longer!! To say that London is amazing is an understatement! My favourite memories from my trip would be the random excursions all over London I made with my new mates who were in my program! I really appreciated the variety of classes offered at Richmond University; I fairly enjoyed all of my classes – both the course content and tutors! Students get the chance to really get to know their tutors – who are always willing to help students if they needed it! This program is run through an American International University in London, which meant that they ‘acknowledge’ American Holidays, like Thanksgiving (there is still classes during the day, but they cook up a pretty decent Thanksgiving dinner in the cafeteria!!). A huge plus for this program would be the awesome Day Trips and activities that AIFS students automatically get to participate in for no extra cost – we went to Bath and Cambridge, we saw Wicked during Orientation Week, and we got to take a flight on the London Eye – in addition to group excursions around London that were open to any student at the University! While the program is a great fit for those who are going out of the country for the first time, it is not exclusive to first time travellers. If you are given the opportunity to study in London, take it! Seeing this city through the scope of a student is entirely different than visiting as a tourist. I would not have learned half of the interesting information or met the people I did if I had just come during holiday. The time spent there will always be a highlight of my college career :) Cheers!!

The program could've done more to provide students information on classes and policies ahead of time (let participants know specifics for living arrangements, where to buy things, course syllabi, and other expectations before the start date) this way students can make the transition to a new country smoothly with less confusion and stress.

Shannon
London, UK

Best Semester of my College Career

This program was the best experience I could have asked for! Located in the beautiful area of Kensington, there is plenty to do in this area! And I always felt extremely safe which is very important when living in a new area! With the Kensington Gardens, High Street Kensington and tons of shops and restaurants within walking distance, this is the place to be. Not to mention you are only a 10-15 minute Tube ride away from the center of London! The program itself was amazing too with a jam packed orientation week that includes a ton of fun activities throughout the city, helpful and friendly staff that make you feel at home, and interesting classes that take you out into the city! I would definitely recommend this program and am jealous of everyone who gets to do it in the future because I'm going to miss it so much!

Emily
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wright State University

Celebrity sighting!

My study abroad experience in London has been amazing. What I love so much about London is that the city never sleeps but it is also so calm. There are celebrities everywhere that are dressed normally because this is there home. No one expects anything from them because it is as much their city as anyone else's. Today, while eating Nandos my friend and I ran into Adele. We were some of the only people in the restaurant. As soon as she saw us she realized that we had recognized who she was. Instead of freaking out and walking out of her meal. She sat down with her friend and had a nice lunch. It was incredibly surreal for no one to disturb her in any way. Refreshing to know that she can be treated like the human that she is in this city. London became my home this semester just like anyone else who spends time here.

I honestly have no complaints about AIFS and the program that they put on in London. My problem was with the university that we were put at. Richmond did not know how to deal with study abroad students. Over half of the student population is comprised of study abroad kids and most of the professors constantly forgot that we had never taken classes at the school before. They were incredibly unaccommodating with academics. There were times when professors would forget that we had other classes to study for by giving us an entire semesters worth of studying for the final. The library was never open for us to study. If it was open it was never open on time or it would randomly close. The food at Richmond was horrible. There was hair in the food all of the time. If I had any kind of improvements it would be the partnership with the school.

Mackenzie
Peoria, Illinois

The American International University

Richmond University located in Kensington is in the perfect location. Kensington is extremely posh, but it's also centrally located. My major complaint is not with AIFS or the staff, but with Richmond. Most of my professors are visiting professors whose primary jobs are with other universities. The food is atrocious. The rooms are tiny and uncomfortable. The bathrooms are in horrible shape. The facilities are bad. But I wouldn't have traded my experience here for the world because London itself is so amazing.

Katie
New York, NY
Hofstra University

Oh, What's In a Name

Oh what's in name is exactly right. When you hear the word "London" you immediately think of Big Ben or wonderful accents. But once you spend 3 months, or even just a week you begin to realize that there is so much more attached to that name, London.
I decided to study abroad, and due to some restrictions during the fall and spring semesters I needed a summer program. I Googled probably hundreds of programs, researched them all, and finally came down to my top three. I ultimately choose the London Internship program because it offered me an internship and it was in a country where I knew the language.
My first day in London, I was terrified. I didn't know anyone, I was super sleep deprived and I had just brought my two 50lb suitcases up four very large flights of stairs.
I met my roommates and of course of a little reserved. But AIFS was offering a quick tour of the neighborhood and we all decided to join. During this probably 15 minute tour of the surrounding area, I knew it was going to be an incredible semester.
I cannot rave enough about the professors I had. They not only enjoyed what they taught but they loved teaching it. And more importantly they loved us, and wanted to be immersed in our culture as well. My internship, honestly, was okay. But I have great friends, and it actually taught skills that I use everyday in my current job.
I was able to travel to other countries, and experience different cultures. I had afternoon tea, toured Buckingham Palace, and my favorite memory, I climbed the White Cliffs of Dover at sunrise.
London taught me to be adventurous and curious about the things around me. It taught me to reach out and meet people, and not just learn their name, but know who they are.
So "London" no longer just means funny people with strange teeth, it is a place I call home. Its a name filled with life long friends, experiences I'll never forget, and most importantly it's a part of who I am now.
So if you're debating where to go in the world, go to London. It's the gateway to everywhere else, and I promise you'll fall in love.

I honestly thought the program was wonderful. The only thing I would improve is educating us at the beginning about different ways to travel around London and to the surrounding countries.

Taylor
Columbia, SC
University of South Carolina

The Best Place to Live

I knew I wanted to go to London so my search for a program was based on cost and location- AIFS was hands down the best choice for both! Not only was it the most affordable program (that also included meals!), it also had an amazing location. I did not know much about the "best places to live in London," but Kensington, where the AIFS campus and living is located is THE nicest place to live. You are a block back from Kensington Gardens and High Street and are consistently surrounded by luxury and posh people. Never in my life would I think I would be living among the Beckhams or Kate Middleton, yet I was fortunate to be thanks to AIFS.

I wish the housing in Atlantic House was upgraded. I think they are in the process of doing so with a couple renovated bathrooms, but I would like to see the rooms be a bit more "home-y"

Amber
Orange County, California
Hult International Business School

AIFS London: Life Changing Experience

Choosing to study abroad with AIFS was the best decision I ever made! The location in Kensington was absolutely beautiful and very accessible to the rest of central London. I loved the fact that there were several bus stops and a tube station nearby, it made travelling around the city very easy and convenient. The city itself was amazing, never had I ever seen so much history and diversity in one place. The night life, shopping, museums, there is always something new to do and see.

The office staff was extremely helpful, the professors very knowledgeable and all the students got along great! To this day(8 years later) I'm still very close with several people on my program.

My time in London with AIFS was so fantastic that when I returned home, I changed my major and transferred to a University in Central London. I finished my undergraduate degree in London, married my British boyfriend(who I met on the program) and ended up living in London for the next 6 years!!

I will always remember the summer I spent studying abroad with AIFS and will forever be grateful for the passion of travel and culture the program instilled in me.

If you want to study abroad, I highly recommend AIFS!!!

London is expensive, especially living in the heart of Kensington! I know that the program can't change that, but budgeting is very difficult. On my program, back in 2007, we didn't have a lot of planned activities outside the classroom. I went to a couple of Musicals arranged by AIFS and a did a boat ride down the Thames River. All other activities were arranged by us(the students).

Nupur
Columbus, Ohio
Ohio State University

Amazing Summer

London with AIFS was an amazing experience. I met people who are still my best friends to this day and experienced a beautiful and diverse city. You can experience almost every culture, as the food is vast with dining from all over the world and hundreds of languages spoken on the tube. It's such an amazing city to get a cultural experience, but still be able to speak English and feel a little bit at home.

Housing was decent- but the cafeteria was closed over the summer. We had a stipend for meals- but in London such a little amount of money does not go very far. Feeding ourselves was a constant struggle.

NancyM
MA
Stonehill College

Awesome Experience

I loved this program! Studying abroad in London thru AIFS was literally the best experience of my life! The location (Kensington) is amazing, especially with David Beckham and the royals right down the street...not to mention that there was so much to do & see (museums, beautiful gardens, shopping, nightlife, pubs, food, monuments, etc). I had a blast! Classes kept you busy, but they weren't too challenging, especially with professors knowing that us (study abroad students) want to travel/have time to enjoy our experience here. Overall, staff was great and wish I could come back.

Re-do the bathrooms in Atlantic

Caitlin
Pullman, Washington
Washington State University

Amazing!

When I got to London I became very sick. My Afis advisor Anderson Hillen was amazing! She checked on me every day and brought me food,drinks, etc... She acted like my mom and it made me feel at home.

The program wasn't perfect and the living situation was okay. They put too many people in one room and the internet connection was not that good. It struggled with skyping and video streaming.The teachers and staff were very helpful and made me feel at home.

Maura
St Paul Minnesota
University of St. Thomas

Perfect London Life

The Kensington location of this campus helped tremendously with day to day London life. You are located in central London and are able to explore so many parts of the city. The school is full of bright teachers and the AIFS staff at Richmond is the best! I would give anything to go back and do it all over again!

Teyonna
Washington DC
Howard University

AIFS London was a life- changing experience!

Studying abroad was the best decision of my life so far and I am glad that I went through AIFS. Each day I learned more about London, the world and myself.

One of the highlights of my experience was the orientation week. AIFS planned alot of fun events to help us get accustomed to London including a bus tour of London, a ticket to London Eye, a ticket to a theater show and more. Each semester the orientation week changes but the staff do a great job planning events and informational sessions (like safety awareness).

Other highlights include the amazing onsite staff that was always there if you needed anything, having some meals included and location. I'm definitely glad that I chose AIFS.

There isnt many negative things that I can say about the program. But there weren't many opportunities to get to know people in the program. I would recommend including some get-to-know-you games or teambuilding activities.

Meg
Easton, MA
Stonehill College

Best Experience I've Ever Had.

The staff (particularly Anderson and Tracy) were absolutely incredible in making us feel included and welcome at this school and in London. The location was amazing, being so close to Hyde Park and Kensington High Street as well as two separate Tube stops in such a close proximity.
Within the walls of Atlantic house, it was a great college experience, and as soon as we walked out, we felt like actual Londoners, which was very important to me. I would do it again in a heartbeat, only the second time definitely go for the whole year--or more!!!

The food was definitely sub-par, and it was a little disconcerting we were only fed breakfast/dinner and only on weeknights, and not given a stipend for the remaining days.

Cait
Lindsborg, KS
Bethany College

I love LONDON!

I can't simply express my love for my study abroad program. Everything was amazing. It was well-organized and I felt like my money was well spent. I got up each day for my classes, and when they were done in the afternoon I had a whole evening to explore and sight see! Also, most of the classes do NOT meet on Fridays so you will have long weekends a lot of the time. I had an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything, and I just want everyone to be able to say the same.

The food in the cafeteria was awful. I had toast almost every night in the cafeteria. However, breakfast was usually pretty great.

studylondonnow
Macomb, MI
Adrian College

Great experience, would not change a thing!

Being able to study abroad was absolutely a life changing experience. AIFS specifically, made it easy to navigate the specifics and their staff was always willing and able to help with planning the trip and making it happen. I love that the Richmond experience allowed us to have the best of being a study abroad student while still allowing for the option to get to know not just locals but people from all across the globe. In addition, I have to say that the student trips and activities offered were very reasonably priced and offered something for everyone. To this day I find myself telling stories from my time abroad and am constantly looking for the next chance to return. If you are going to study abroad, which everyone should, I am confident that AIFS is an excellent choice. I was told this before I went abroad and I believe it now; there is no better time and no cheaper way to travel Europe than when you are a student.

mva249
Princeton, New Jersey
Rutgers University

An amazing time in London

I honestly had the time of my life at AIFS at Richmond London. The housing was comfortable, safe, and at a convenient location. The activities planned by the program were great, and the staff was amazing, friendly, and always there to help. Would definitely recommend this program to anyone considering it!

JAlbiani
New London, New Hampshire
Colby-Sawyer College

10 out of 10

Studying abroad at Richmond in London was the best choice I ever made for myself. I was nervous about going abroad, as I was leaving for my first semester of my senior year and didn't know anyone, but it turns out I could not have made a better choice. The location in central London could not have been more ideal, and staying in Kensington was so easy to get to places from it was awesome. The staff here could not have been more helpful, and they made the whole experience even better. I could not imagine my college experience without having studied at Richmond in London, and I think that it's an experience that everyone should have as well!

Megan1986
Peoria Illinois

A wonderful experience

I enjoyed everything about my semester in London through AIFS. Everyone i met through AIFS at Richmond were so wonderful and helpful. The school in Kensington is so close to where we lived and the area is beautiful. London had so much to offer no matter what your tastes were. The thing i loved most about being in London was that it was a great starting point for other traveling as well! I didn't really experience any major difficulties. Anytime I had questions or minor issues, there was always a willing staff member around to help out. When it was time to leave to come home, I wanted to stay because my dorm at Atlantic House had become such a home to me.

katamoran
San Diego, California
University of California- San Diego

Best program ever!

I was skeptical about going abroad, but I could not have chosen a better program than this one! The staff was extremely helpful in all situations- they would even personally take us to the airport if we felt scared about going there! The dorms are set up to help you make a lot of friends, and the area (Kensington) itself is quite amazing. You cannot go wrong studying abroad in London at Richmond.

lmp427
San Francisco, California
University of San Francisco

Amazing Experience

Choosing to study abroad in London through AIFS was the best decision that I have ever made. I didn't know a single person in our program when I flew over and immediately made friends that I'm still very close with. The program is incredible--the academics aren't particularly challenging and the travel opportunities are beyond amazing. I was able to travel to eight different countries during our 4 months and although I loved everywhere I went, I was always grateful that I chose to study in London. I would highly recommend this program and would do anything to go back.

Carissa
Clifton Springs, New York
Saint John Fisher College

Loved it!!

Overall my experience in London was amazing! Sure there were little things that would have made it better, but it was the best experience I've ever had! I made tons of friends that I consider life-long friends and we had wonderful adventures around the city, the country, and the rest of Europe!

The location of the housing is perfect and it's very easy to get around the city (which I had to do a lot of for my classes and just for fun!) Kensington is beautiful and extremely safe, which was one of the things I loved best about where the school was. The staff are amazing and very helpful for any problem you have. They are there to help make your experience at the school the best it can be!

The housing was pretty good, and the food could have been better, but they worked on making it better once we said we wanted better food! Classes were about the same as the school I go to now, but it was interesting to get a different style of teaching and working with the different expectations of the professors.

Overall I loved my study abroad experience at Richmond University and I would love to go back!

Beka
Philadelphia, PA
Temple University

AIFS Takes Care

I really enjoyed how the AIFS program was so well organized and ran. By having my fee include the cost of the flight, tuition, and room & board it made going abroad less stressful and more enjoyable! I didn't have to worry about where I was living or what I was eating. It was great to live and eat with people in the same program as me and we got to experience our new surroundings together. The was always a lot of activity options so I felt like I could get involved and experience my new surroundings.

Lonelymoonchild
Falls Creek, PA
Indiana University of Pennsylvania

The most magical of my life!

I don't even know where to start. This experience changed my life forever. London is the most amazing city for one to find new interests and meet new people! I got to travel to France, Morocco, around the UK, and would have went to Ibiza but the Icelandic volcano erupted and my flights were cancelled! I met so many amazing people, one which called me today! After coming home I started my online shop which is based on a necklace that I found in Brighton! Honestly, I could go on forever about how amazing it was and how safe I felt and everything else. All I can say is that it was perfect and I grew do much as a human being.

RHucko
Peoria, Illinois

Fall 2011

Richmond was one of the greatest experiences of my entire life. When I studied in London, I got to travel to seven different countries and meet tons of new people. My favorite place that I went was Stockholm, Sweden. It was a Richmond planned trip and it was amazing. Sweden was breath taking, and I went only know two people and I came back with a lifetime of memories. I would not trade my study abroad experience for anything!

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a