Study Abroad in London, England: Semester or Academic Year

Boating in Hyde Park
Boating in Hyde Park
Big Ben, London
Big Ben, London

Spend a semester or academic year in London with AIFS! You’ll earn up to 15 credits per semester through courses offered at Richmond, the American International University in London.

Students in the Traditional Program, Certificate in British Studies Program and Certificate in Fashion Management and Marketing Program live in central London at the university’s Kensington campus in secure university residence halls. Students in the Freshman and Sophomore program live at the university’s Richmond Hill campus and receive 10 meals per week through the student cafeteria.

Enjoy cultural and social activities including:
• Guided city tours of Kensington and London
• Theater performances
• Music concerts
• Visit to an English soccer game
• Day trips to Cambridge, Stonehenge and Salisbury.
An optional 3-day trip to Paris (taking you through the Channel Tunnel!) is offered as well.

• Tours of London and historic sites
  • Day trips to Cambridge, Stonehenge and Salisbury
  • Earn up to 15 credits with transcripts issued by Richmond, The American International University in London
  • Optional 3-day trip to Paris, France
  • Internship and volunteer opportunities

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Yes this university has a great history program! I took History of London while I was there and got to take field trips to different locations throughout London that I wouldn't have thought to go see otherwise! I also to a British Art and Architecture course which was so great because it was history and art together!

I'm not entirely sure about their film program. I did my study abroad in 2007, and they had an excellent art, art history, and photography course that my roommate and I both did at that time. So, I would say their art program in general was terrific!

Farhan

Best 4 Months of my LIFE!

This place is honestly the best because of the location and the people! The university is so small it forces you to be friends with those around you and there is no better experience than Richmond The American International University in London! Like seriously I wish I could go back to my time in London because how amazing the teachers and daily life was. I got to go to 5 arsenal matches because of roommate had season tickets! Like seriously everyone you meet is a superstar and the tight net community makes the experience 10x better!

What was your funniest moment?
Going to 4 Arsenal matches! Me and my best friend Sam laughed all day it was such a blast!
Anthony

Studying Abroad in London was the BEST Decision I Have Ever Made!

Though I'm from a small town.. I have always wanted to live in a bigger city. That's the number one reason why I decided to study abroad in London, UK. AIFS was the first pick in terms of providers because they did a great job of organizing everything. As someone who didn't have a lot of family support along the way, it was important that I had support from my provider. AIFS allowed me to feel comfortable, while still giving me freedom to explore the city. It was like my home institution almost.

During my time in London I made a special effort to branch out and experience the city on my own. I heavily used social media and hashtags to find different things to do around the city like new restaurants, fashion week, museums, concerts, etc. If you are social media savvy I highly recommend using it as a resource!

The only thing I would improve is the number of excursions. I missed a few and would have liked to go on more as a group with the other AIFS participants.
Jada

Home Away From Home

When I was choosing a study abroad program, I wanted to make sure that I felt like I had a support system while I was abroad. Since it was my first time leaving the country and I was doing it alone, I knew that I wasn't going to be as sure of myself as I usually am. The on sight support through AIFS is unimaginable and from the beginning until the end, I felt like I always had someone on my side. I felt safe to really explore and have the time of my life while also feeling like I was getting a school experience. It was an amazing experience. The faculty is well educated and also well versed in all of their perspective areas of study. Housing was very near central London, so you truly got the city experience. Traveling was easy and mostly inexpensive. Since everything with AIFS is all inclusive, you truly had the chance to use extra funds for school and things you wanted to do. I would recommend this program over and over again! Even after being home for a few months, I still feel so connected to AIFS and professionally prepared to graduate and talk about my study abroad experience to potential jobs.

I truly think this program is great as is.
Nick

Best experience of my life!

Studying abroad with AIFS in London was the best decision I have ever made. Studying abroad in London was such a good choice for me, as it was my first time outside of the US. Where London provided the perfect home-base as it is a well balance of not being too foreign yet being a new world to culturally immerse yourself in. Regarding why AIFS in London is perfect is due to it's location and program specifications.

With AIFS, (for most students) you are placed in an American style dorm housing in the greatest neighborhood in the world! Kensington is home to so many amazing things to do, while remaining fairly quiet, and being a 5 minute tube ride into your favorite parts of central London. The dorms of Atlantic House and Ambassador Hall just a few minutes away from all that Kensington has to offer from Hyde Park, to South Kensington Museums, and all the shops High Street Kensington has to offer. The location is truly the best that I know of compared to any of the other programs that my friends have been a part of and I am beyond grateful that I had the opportunity to spend 4 months of my life living in Kensington.

The specifications of the program including the academics, on site staff, cultural experiences offered, and all the other details were so great. The study part of study abroad was a great environment to learn, with students and professors from all around the world are present in the classroom, resulting in not just a typical learning environment but a great lesson in learning about different perspectives of the world. The on site staff are some of the best people out there, as they are so helpful with everything you need or have questions about. And the cultural experiences are very fun activities such as going to plays, the London eye, day trips that are very well planned, and so much more.

Overall, this is the best program if you're studying abroad in London!

Danielle

A Semester to Remember

My time abroad was one that I will never forget thanks to AIFS. Their all inclusive program and optional flight package meant that all I had to worry about was having fun. I never once had to worry about the logistics of anything, and if I did have to, the staff were more than helpful in making sure we as program participants knew what we needed to to. Once abroad the location and the staff on site couldn't have been better. Being housed in the heart of South Kensington was the highlight of the trip. Food, palaces, and tube stations were all within reach. The friends I made during my time abroad are friends that I know I will have for a lifetime.

Better food
female in nature
Rachel

Best location possible!!!

AIFS provides the best location in London to study in. Just steps from Hyde Park, London's largest Royal Park and steps from Kensington Palace, home to William and Kate (and now Harry and Meghan!). Campus is also steps from two tube stations giving you the ability to be anywhere in London within a half hour. Also just steps away from Kensington High Street, filled with both high-end shops and a variety of restaurants you can find anything you need. The neighborhood is home to many celebrities including the Beckham family! When I was there some people actually ran into David on the Street. The Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is also the most expensive borough in all of London, I never felt unsafe while walking the streets.
Other than the location, the staff is absolutely wonderful, the two Resident Directors Nicki and Anderson were like family to me. They will help you with anything from homesickness to school.
My only complaint would be the food in the dining hall, but that made me go out and explore all the tastes London has to offer.

Larger variety of food in the dining hall
Tiffany

Unlike NYC... London is the city that does sleep

I was born and raised in NYC, and by staying in the city for college I never really experienced living in any place other than New York. Prior to coming to London, I expected there to be little differences in living in London than living in NYC. While I do think it was an easy transition, one difference you'll notice is that stores in London close much earlier than those in NYC, so if you're coming from a big city don't expect frequent late-night dining, especially on Sundays!

Overall, I loved London. Compared to New York's MTA, London's public transportation was faster and, in my opinion, more straight-forward, than that of NYC's, so don't worry about getting lost on the train or bus! Did I mention it's a lot cleaner, as well? While you'll have endless opportunities to try English food, London is a multicultural city so you will be able to eat different types of food, as well, such as Indian, Thai, Italian, and Caribbean to name a few. London is big on free museums, so be sure to check out the British Museum, Natural History Museum and the Tate Modern Museum (those were my favorite). Whether you're a fan of hanging out with friends in a big park, pub crawls, doing all the tourist-y things imaginable (who doesn't love a great view from the London eye?) or a combination of all of the above while finding time to explore the equally as interesting cities outside of London, London is a great place to study abroad!

Mikayla

Take Me Back

Plain and simple: My semester abroad was the best thing to ever happen to me, and that largely had to do with AIFS. London is an amazing city, and you would have a great time no matter what, but the AIFS program puts you right in the middle of Kensington, the nicest and safest borough in London, in an international university where you get to meet people from all over the world and truly immerse yourself in the diversity London has to offer. This was HUGE for me, and I know my time there wouldn’t have been the same if I wasn’t in that location. Our resident directors were also a really important part of the trip. I have barely left the country, let alone flown on a plane by myself, before I studied abroad. It was really important to me that I had support overseas if I needed it. My RDs had an open-door policy and had awesome relationships with everyone at Richmond, but especially the study abroad students. I grew really independent when I went to London, but it was nice to know that I had people to help me if I was feeling homesick, needed to go to the doctor, or whatever. (Thankfully neither were too big of an issue.) It was also a really nice aspect that AIFS’ program is all-inclusive. There is one fee that includes EVERYTHING, and then an optional flight package for another small fee. I personally don’t have financial aid, so having everything all in one place and then all of the scholarships AIFS offers on top of that was a huge help, as well. I look back on my program and only have good memories. I wish I could go back every day!