API Study Abroad Program at the University of Leeds

Study abroad in England with API and join more than 30,000 students at the University of Leeds. In addition to English students, the University of Leeds welcomes more than 5,000 international students each year. One of the attractions is the range of courses taught at the university, offering students from almost every field of study an array of stimulating classes.

The city of Leeds is the 3rd largest in England and has a reputation as one of the most desirable cities in Europe to live and study in. The city government has also garnered international praise for its environmentally friendly polices, with the University of Leeds playing a crucial research and development role in city planning. Finally, Leeds is centrally located, allowing for easy travel to other British cities, as well as the rest of Europe. Leeds is leading the way for study abroad opportunities in England!

nerdlynow

Time of My Life

My time at the University of Leeds with API was, hands down, the best travel experience I have ever had.

Leeds Uni is an amazing and wonderful university, with a thriving and vibrant student scene as well as incredible and top quality education. Going with API made a near perfect experience absolutely perfect. I was able to travel around the country and experience more of the English culture than if I had gone on my own, or even with another international programme. My resident director provided excellent support and was always available to help me with whatever I needed.

I grew on so many different levels. I made so many friends and had so many wonderful social experiences. Frequently, I would make the comment for friends and family at home, "who knew I was a social butterfly disguised as a shy person?" In addition, my thoughts and way I viewed my educational field changed and developed. I had never been challenged in academics like I was there and I learned more in my one semester that the rest of my university experience in the States.

The best way to see how much I enjoyed the experience is that I became inspired to continue my education in England, at a university not far from Leeds. This means I am able to go to Leeds frequently to see my friends and see familiar sights.

To be honest, I had no complaints at all for this programme. While it wasn't perfect, any negative experience I had came down to factors outside of anyone at the programme's control.
LANDC89

Best experience I could have had

I loved the whole time I was in Leeds. The professors were incredible, my director for API was AMAZING, the campus and city are wonderful and the experience was the best I could have had.

I took the modules on the Olympics and the British Pop Music. The best part was that the Olympics were going on as I was there. It made the class even more enjoyable.

For the school side, they had a trip for every weekend which made it very easy to travel over the country. We went to many different cities, including Oxford, Liverpool, Manchester, Whitby and York. Whitby was one of the best beach cities I have been to and I live on the West Coast of the United States.

The variety of people that the program allows for you to meet is incredible. There were people from all different continents and made it even more fun to be there.

API was great at having easily the best director I could have asked for to be in charge of their Leeds program. She made herself easily available and was always ready to answer questions, concerns or just hang out with you. She made the outings we went on relevant to me (I was the only person that went through API for this past summer at LISS and she made sure that what we did was something I was interested in).

I could not have asked for a better month of my life!

I would have loved more time in London when I first got to England.

Also, if LISS had allowed for options of the cities we went to, that would have been nice.
ssickles

Great experience!

Every day I tried to explore the city and do something different. I never really had a similar day to day experience except for going to class. I think the best thing you can do while abroad is explore and go check out things that you might not normally do. Living in London was the best time of my life! I made some of the best friends I have ever had there. I still stay in contact with my friends from England as well as my friends from the sates. My only bit of advice is to be open to new situations and be adaptable.

I wouldn't change this program. The on-site staff was very helpful and friendly. I loved how we did little cultural excursions. I highly recommend this program to anyone.
Lianna

Be a student, not a tourist

Studying at the University of Leeds through API was possibly one of the greatest decisions I have made in my college career. The thing I loved most about Leeds was that everyone was welcoming of international students on and off campus; someone with an American accent was treated as a student and not a tourist, not something I can say for places like London. Also, it was easy to get involved. The campus had involvement fairs with clubs and organizations for every personality. The best part of my academic experience was that as an English major in England, I wanted to know the British perspective of the authors that I read and I definitely got it. The lectures were very focused and extensive on contextual information about the text. Also, at Leeds Uni, English majors are actually English and Theatre Studies majors. On my home campus, the English and theatre departments are far from collaboration which I find unfortunate. As luck would have it, one of the theatre professors here used to be the theatre director at Leeds. I took one of his colleague's classes which is also where I met most of my friends. In this class too I learned what theatre majors back home don't: how to read a play with literary analysis; I learned what English majors don't back home: how to portray what we find in the text on stage. I thought it would be difficult to make friends, but I knew that if I was friends with theatre majors back home, I would be in Leeds too. I can't wait to go back and visit, and I wish I could study with API again who were very generous with their support.

If I could change one thing, it would be more alumni of specific API programs communicating with incoming students. I guess that's what I'm doing right now, but a review of study abroad from someone who went to Spain or Australia isn't always going to be helpful to someone going to England.

About API

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API...